BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-01-13 12:35 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED

I had a bit of a sore throat Friday evening and decided not to train at all through the weekend.  Feeling much more normal today.  

2014-01-13 1:16 PM
in reply to: Lcarslake

User image

Thanks for the drills :-)
2014-01-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN
It takes me about 10 minutes to run a mile, I'm my weight of 240 has alot to do with that.
2014-01-14 8:10 AM
in reply to: mothornton

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by mothornton

It takes me about 10 minutes to run a mile, I'm my weight of 240 has alot to do with that.

How tall are you and how long have you been running?

10 min miles are slow but not 'that' slow.

Running times website provides pace charts up to 16mins per mile.
2014-01-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I might have added a 10k to my plans:

http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/

Feb 17th

Worth it for the t-shirt alone (nice design).

Not 100% on it as there is equal chances that my wife will disown me for doing it or join and do the 3k.

Events make me happy.

EDIT: My chance to break 50 minutes!

Edited by badmo77a 2014-01-14 2:56 PM
2014-01-14 6:39 PM
in reply to: Jason N

So sorry to hear this! This is how the flu around here has started. Sore throat, headache for about 2 weeks then it goes into your chest and hangs on forever. I hope everyone here takes care. We have had it here. We never get sick but this one is hanging on, that's for sure!

2014-01-14 6:42 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a I might have added a 10k to my plans: http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/Feb 17th Worth it for the t-shirt alone (nice design). Not 100% on it as there is equal chances that my wife will disown me for doing it or join and do the 3k. Events make me happy. EDIT: My chance to break 50 minutes!

Well, I hope you can do it.  You just need to somehow get her to think doing the 3k is her idea and you are set!  

2014-01-14 7:38 PM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Originally posted by Lady Magoo So sorry to hear this! This is how the flu around here has started. Sore throat, headache for about 2 weeks then it goes into your chest and hangs on forever. I hope everyone here takes care. We have had it here. We never get sick but this one is hanging on, that's for sure!

Thanks...I feel pretty much 100% right now.  Actually, the time off from training has me feeling pretty darn good as far as freshness.

2014-01-15 2:08 AM

Oh, so glad to hear that!
2014-01-15 7:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by badmo77a I might have added a 10k to my plans: http://niagararunningseries.com/races/grimsby/Feb 17th Worth it for the t-shirt alone (nice design). Not 100% on it as there is equal chances that my wife will disown me for doing it or join and do the 3k. Events make me happy. EDIT: My chance to break 50 minutes!

Well, I hope you can do it.  You just need to somehow get her to think doing the 3k is her idea and you are set!  :)

just need to somehow get her to think doing the 3k is her idea

Working on this. Allthough the next two weeks of weather forecasts have plenty of -10 days forecast so I worry about my chance.

On a seperate topic. Yesterday, ignoring comments from co-workers who have never seen a pair of running tights on a man, I went for a run at lunch break. 5.8kms in 30 minutes.

Mcmillan says that my tempo run is between 4:48 and 4:59 per km. But this run works out at 5:16 per km. I even took a split time and the first 3k were at 5:22. So a small negative split in there. This works out as a Steady State Run on the chart. Thing is I have no idea what a Steady State run is. What good would this have done me? I was not ryign to go fast but also didnt want to waste a short session in Z1. It didnt seem like a monumental effort at the time. Is the purpose of this just to improve your lactate management? It was obvuiously too fast to be in optimal fat burning zone.

In short. I will get to do quite a few of these 30m efforts. How can I best use them?

Edited by badmo77a 2014-01-15 7:50 AM
2014-01-15 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Adrian, what number are you using to get those from McMillan?  Was it a recent race?

In my opinion those 30m lunch runs are perfect for just adding volume while running easy.  Just go out and run at an easy pace so that at the end you feel like you could do it again.  Doing that several times per week will go a long way towards improving your run.

2014-01-15 11:15 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Adrian, what number are you using to get those from McMillan?  Was it a recent race?

In my opinion those 30m lunch runs are perfect for just adding volume while running easy.  Just go out and run at an easy pace so that at the end you feel like you could do it again.  Doing that several times per week will go a long way towards improving your run.

From putting in my Oct Half Marathon time of 1:51. Will re-do it after my Feb 10k or March 15k. Depending what I end up doing.

Hoping to get 2 of these 30min sessions a week. Which could mean my worst weeks might go from 2 to 4 runs a week and my best ones to 5.

Easy pace it is.
2014-01-15 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a

From putting in my Oct Half Marathon time of 1:51. Will re-do it after my Feb 10k or March 15k. Depending what I end up doing. Hoping to get 2 of these 30min sessions a week. Which could mean my worst weeks might go from 2 to 4 runs a week and my best ones to 5. Easy pace it is.

Lots and lots of easy running while you build things up.  If you are feeling frisky on a particular day you can throw in 3 or 4 x 30 second strides where you bump up to 5k pace for 30 seconds and then back to easy for at least 2 mins.  

2014-01-15 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

From putting in my Oct Half Marathon time of 1:51. Will re-do it after my Feb 10k or March 15k. Depending what I end up doing. Hoping to get 2 of these 30min sessions a week. Which could mean my worst weeks might go from 2 to 4 runs a week and my best ones to 5. Easy pace it is.

I would agree with Arend -- keep them easy.  If you're running as little as 2x a week some weeks, they should both be easy runs....otherwise you're inviting the possibility of an injury.  Adding one or two short, easy run a week will add up to "free" run volume....if you add three extra miles a week, that's over 150 extra miles in a year! 

2014-01-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I would agree with Arend -- keep them easy.  If you're running as little as 2x a week some weeks, they should both be easy runs....otherwise you're inviting the possibility of an injury.  Adding one or two short, easy run a week will add up to "free" run volume....if you add three extra miles a week, that's over 150 extra miles in a year! 

You are both right. I should keep them easy. Hard to resist the temptation to go fast trying to get a benchmark of what future race paces might look like.

It's good to think of it as extra yearly mileage. My brother in law beat 1,000 miles for the year running and I could not work out how he did it. In reality he did it by adding lots of 3,4 and 5 milers into his week and watching them add up.
2014-01-15 7:00 PM

User image

Trying to enjoy a few days of vacation but feeling uncomfortable not running or working out...

My friends and family are really getting tired of my obsession with my schedule!

Do I need an intervention?

Donna

2014-01-16 8:19 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by luvschips

Trying to enjoy a few days of vacation but feeling uncomfortable not running or working out...

My friends and family are really getting tired of my obsession with my schedule!

Do I need an intervention?

Donna

I heard my first 'clearly you are obsessed with this' of the year at home this week.

I admit that my two workouts on Monday and Tuesday this week I logged at 'private' in mapmyrun so that they would not alert for anyone linked as a friend in that app.

Whenever I get together with my brother in law it only takes about 5 minutes before I hear "are you two talking about running again'.

Donna,
Dont worry. You are already posting on TriathletesAnonymous. No intervention needed. :-)
2014-01-16 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by luvschips Trying to enjoy a few days of vacation but feeling uncomfortable not running or working out... My friends and family are really getting tired of my obsession with my schedule! Do I need an intervention? Donna
I heard my first 'clearly you are obsessed with this' of the year at home this week. I admit that my two workouts on Monday and Tuesday this week I logged at 'private' in mapmyrun so that they would not alert for anyone linked as a friend in that app. Whenever I get together with my brother in law it only takes about 5 minutes before I hear "are you two talking about running again'. Donna, Dont worry. You are already posting on TriathletesAnonymous. No intervention needed. :-)

I just smile and nod when people say I'm obsessed.  Lots of people I know, know I train but really have no idea how much.  I'd rather keep it that way as they would think I'm completely nuts then.  

I also don't talk about my training unless I'm specifically asked and even then I just give quick generalities unless I'm prodded for details.  So when I'm asked what I did today I just say "oh, I went for a run" or "I was on the bike for a workout".  I find that's about as much as anyone really cares to know.    Anyone that actually cares to know details can follow me on Strava or my logs here.  

2014-01-16 12:51 PM

User image

How is everyone's training going?  

2014-01-16 1:15 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

I had a baby on the 4th and caught a nasty cold in the hospital, so I ended up taking all last week off.  I've been slowly getting back in the saddle (a lingering cough and swollen knee from laying around have hampered things).  Mentally I'm ready to go, but physically has been a little more difficult.  Did a 45 min ride today before the knee said it was time to stop.  Next week when I'm back at work should actually make the schedule a little easier because I'll be in a better routine.

2014-01-16 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Originally posted by Jason N

Getting back into it after about 6 weeks of doing nothing is NOT fun.

Question: I happen to own an oxygen machine. Does anyone have any thoughts as it pertains to using oxygen to increase cardiovascular capabilities?

My biggest problem is not being able to get enough air, especially in the swim and run. I know this will come in time, but I'm wondering if I can help things along with the use of oxygen. Yes/No? Before, during or after workout? Any opinions on this? Or can anyone point me to any articles on the use of oxygen?

Thanks.

2014-01-16 2:27 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

A good week this week.

Sat: Soccer
Sun: 8k run
Mon: 1,000 pool
Tue: 5.5km run
Wed: 1,000 pool
Today: Rest

Nice to get on a streak of productive days. Its all focused on run base and swim comfort for me at the moment. I want to come out of the winter with some good mileage and having built confidence in the pool.

Hoping for a longer slow run on the weekend (10-12km) to start anouther good streak next week.

I miss my bike :-(
2014-01-17 3:25 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally posted by Danmartinids

I had a baby on the 4th and caught a nasty cold in the hospital, so I ended up taking all last week off.  I've been slowly getting back in the saddle (a lingering cough and swollen knee from laying around have hampered things).  Mentally I'm ready to go, but physically has been a little more difficult.  Did a 45 min ride today before the knee said it was time to stop.  Next week when I'm back at work should actually make the schedule a little easier because I'll be in a better routine.

Dan-
Congratulations on the baby! :-) Fun!!!

Pretty much over the sinus infection; getting back into the swing of things. I'm so random right now, I'm hoping starting in February I can get some sort of schedule going with my workouts. I'm swimming every chance I get. Looking out for a wetsuit so I can do some OWS sessions coming up in March. Maybe get a lesson or 2 along the way!
2014-01-19 6:45 PM

User image

Figured I would check in as well, since I haven't posted in a while. (Though I am up to date on reading this thread!)
I was away for a week on vacation, so I did get a few runs and swimming in...though nothing all that formal. Running on the beach is hard! I enjoyed it, but my first run back on asphalt felt good. College starts again this week so I'll be hitting the gym in the morning, and will commit to more of a training plan.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!

2014-01-21 2:21 PM
in reply to: sammerjam

User image

I hope everyone had a good weekend, and maybe a long weekend if you got MLK day.

How about a new topic.  Transistions!!!

Transitions can be one of the most underated parts of triathlon.  Not only is it an area where we can save time during races by being quick and efficient...it's also an area that can really mess up our races if we overlook something.

So before I go into what I do for transitions, I'd like to know what everyone's plan is.  Have you even thought about it yet?  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16