BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2013-12-30 10:41 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - OPEN

Karl, I'll keep you in mind, thanks!

2013-12-30 11:42 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Hi James, thank you

I did a custom plan based on the first race of the season in june 22 and picked the olympic distance. Then customized the schedule and number of sessions. Right now i find i'm doing way more than what the plan demands but since it increases over time eventually it will catch up with me. If you have a plan suggestion i'm all ears.
2013-12-30 1:26 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Hi Karl, Matt and Chris -
Sure, generally it's a 12 person relay like Chris said about 200 miles, sleep optional, in 2 vans. The Cape Cod one goes from Boston to Provincetown. We did it with 6 people - that's what makes it Ultra - with one van. So with an ultra each team member runs 6x, for an avg of 30 miles a piece. Funny we weren't planning to be at 6 but that's how it turned out and it couldn't have worked out better. Drop off one runner, drive ahead to where the next stop/exchange is, so you can pick up and drop off the next runner. We did it in just under 28 hours... seemed not too bad for a first go at it! We've talked about getting down to the Key West one too.
2013-12-30 1:28 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

I'm still sort of deciding - I have a full training plan that someone shared with me, and I downloaded the free one from here for beginner half. I want to see what else is available for the best way to go. I like to have the structure of a plan so I might mix what I have if I don't find anything else, but I'm guessing there's more options out there.
2013-12-30 1:36 PM

User image

Thanks Karl glad to be here! I love how you got a surprise at the finish running/training sans technology. That's just awesome - -
2013-12-30 1:42 PM

User image

Hi Neighbor - beautiful place you have up there! That's great to hear from someone else who did Timberman. It definitely looks challenging by the maps. Not sure yet if it'll be a family affair or a solo mission - - the rest of the house is big into football (playing, watching, dreaming) so there might be some scheduling challenges that weekend. Either way I'm working on a strong mindset to make the most of the training months ahead!

2013-12-31 3:00 AM
in reply to: #4915280

Name: darebay07/Gino

Story: 39yo back into Tri last year for the first time in 15years. I fell in love with the sport when I was 11/12 and would watch Hawaii on tv saying one day I would do that. I opened a restaurant when I was 20 and life got in the way. Kept running (5km social) during that time to keep fit. Still running the same restaurant but life is a little less hectic and I have never lost sight of the dream of Kona one day (crazy?). Running comes naturally, have raced up to half marathon. Bike I get by at the moment but with little to no training. I swim like a brick and need serious help in this area. Have just been trying to get some km's up in the pool for now but really struggle.

Family: Married with 3 amazing daughters. Youngest 2 have started tri's this year. My wife is an amazing swimmer and may yet join us.

Current training: At the moment 30km running (3x10km), 5km swim (2x2.5km). O bike. Per week.

This years races: so far short course 400/500, 10/20, 3/5.

2014 races: doing Mooloolaba in March (Olympic distance) biggest ive ever done.

Weight loss: not really an issue

What would make me a good mentee: I'm craving the info. Pretty self motivated and this is the first time I've taken the steps to improve.
2013-12-31 8:22 AM
in reply to: darebay07

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by darebay07

Name: darebay07/Gino

Story: 39yo back into Tri last year for the first time in 15years. I fell in love with the sport when I was 11/12 and would watch Hawaii on tv saying one day I would do that. I opened a restaurant when I was 20 and life got in the way. Kept running (5km social) during that time to keep fit. Still running the same restaurant but life is a little less hectic and I have never lost sight of the dream of Kona one day (crazy?). Running comes naturally, have raced up to half marathon. Bike I get by at the moment but with little to no training. I swim like a brick and need serious help in this area. Have just been trying to get some km's up in the pool for now but really struggle.

Family: Married with 3 amazing daughters. Youngest 2 have started tri's this year. My wife is an amazing swimmer and may yet join us.

Current training: At the moment 30km running (3x10km), 5km swim (2x2.5km). O bike. Per week.

This years races: so far short course 400/500, 10/20, 3/5.

2014 races: doing Mooloolaba in March (Olympic distance) biggest ive ever done.

Weight loss: not really an issue

What would make me a good mentee: I'm craving the info. Pretty self motivated and this is the first time I've taken the steps to improve.

Hi, Gino! Welcome to the group.

When I frist saw Ironman televised I really wanted to do nothing with that race. Little less than 4 years latter I not only qualified for Kona but did my first iron distance. Those were the famous iron war days with Dave Scott and Mark Allen.
2013-12-31 8:27 AM

User image

New user
NAME: Scottjjmtri99 / Scott

STORY: I triathlon because it's a new challenge. I've been a runner since I can remember. With no better way to explain it, I got bored with just running events. I wanted a bigger challenge. The swim is by far my weakest leg, followed by the bike, and I hold my own rather well on the run. I have two sprint triathlons on my resume with one being 500m swim, 20k bike, 5k run and the other being 750m swim 20k bike, 5k run. Prior to those I have two duathlons before making the switch to triathlons. I'm jumping up to the Olympic distance in 2014. Finding and making the time to train is my biggest challenges going into 2014.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids. Oldest is going on 4 and youngest is 1.5 yrs

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running this past year with a few rides here and there. Rode enough to familiarize myself with my new/used bike and enough to believe I could finish. Pretty much swim like a freight-liner (slow) but I'm working on that as well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Entered 2013 with my races setup to be Duathlons. Raced them surprisingly well and towards the end got the itch to try the swim as well. Ran many road races distances ranging from 5k to 1/2 marathon.

2014 RACES: Looking for an indoor tri during the winter months to see how my base and training is holding up. 1/2 marathon in April, Olympic June 1st, Olympic July 13th, Olympic August 10th, Olympic September 15th. The first and last Olympic are on the same course.

WEIGHTLOSS: Fine tuning really. 10-15 lbs would be great but not a requirement. Being relatively new to triathlons, I've never been a fan of lifting weights. However, I'm starting a routine of sorts.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Any advice on training, preparation, race day tips, I'm all ears! In the end, better racing will come with experience.
2013-12-31 8:42 AM
in reply to: darebay07

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by darebay07 Name: darebay07/Gino Story: 39yo back into Tri last year for the first time in 15years. I fell in love with the sport when I was 11/12 and would watch Hawaii on tv saying one day I would do that. I opened a restaurant when I was 20 and life got in the way. Kept running (5km social) during that time to keep fit. Still running the same restaurant but life is a little less hectic and I have never lost sight of the dream of Kona one day (crazy?). Running comes naturally, have raced up to half marathon. Bike I get by at the moment but with little to no training. I swim like a brick and need serious help in this area. Have just been trying to get some km's up in the pool for now but really struggle. Family: Married with 3 amazing daughters. Youngest 2 have started tri's this year. My wife is an amazing swimmer and may yet join us. Current training: At the moment 30km running (3x10km), 5km swim (2x2.5km). O bike. Per week. This years races: so far short course 400/500, 10/20, 3/5. 2014 races: doing Mooloolaba in March (Olympic distance) biggest ive ever done. Weight loss: not really an issue What would make me a good mentee: I'm craving the info. Pretty self motivated and this is the first time I've taken the steps to improve.

Very cool!  You and I are very similar in coming back to tri after having done a few a long time ago and having mostly run since.  It's terrific that you have family doing this, as well, as that is a great support mechanism.

Plus, if you daughters are doing tri and your wife is a swimmer, you have built in coaching!  Minimally, you can do some workouts together.  My favorite runs are with the Better Half (we try to synch up our training so our paces for at least part of a given run will be similar - it's such a bonus to share that!).

As for Kona, hey, why not?  Only way to know is to tri…  (oh, that was bad).    It's a great goal to have and something to plan towards.  The Oly is the right next step, I think, too!

Matt

2013-12-31 8:47 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 NAME: Scottjjmtri99 / Scott STORY: I triathlon because it's a new challenge. I've been a runner since I can remember. With no better way to explain it, I got bored with just running events. I wanted a bigger challenge. The swim is by far my weakest leg, followed by the bike, and I hold my own rather well on the run. I have two sprint triathlons on my resume with one being 500m swim, 20k bike, 5k run and the other being 750m swim 20k bike, 5k run. Prior to those I have two duathlons before making the switch to triathlons. I'm jumping up to the Olympic distance in 2014. Finding and making the time to train is my biggest challenges going into 2014. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids. Oldest is going on 4 and youngest is 1.5 yrs CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running this past year with a few rides here and there. Rode enough to familiarize myself with my new/used bike and enough to believe I could finish. Pretty much swim like a freight-liner (slow) but I'm working on that as well. THIS YEAR'S RACES: Entered 2013 with my races setup to be Duathlons. Raced them surprisingly well and towards the end got the itch to try the swim as well. Ran many road races distances ranging from 5k to 1/2 marathon. 2014 RACES: Looking for an indoor tri during the winter months to see how my base and training is holding up. 1/2 marathon in April, Olympic June 1st, Olympic July 13th, Olympic August 10th, Olympic September 15th. The first and last Olympic are on the same course. WEIGHTLOSS: Fine tuning really. 10-15 lbs would be great but not a requirement. Being relatively new to triathlons, I've never been a fan of lifting weights. However, I'm starting a routine of sorts. WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Any advice on training, preparation, race day tips, I'm all ears! In the end, better racing will come with experience.

Hi Scott!

Sounds like quite the race season you have planned (Oly's are a really fun distance, IMO - even though I've only done a couple, they are a blast).  Very cool that you'll be able to run the same course twice as bookends on the season, too.  Let's you compare and see where your fitness ends up (as well as skills like transition - in the one race I repeated from fall of 2012 this past fall, my transitions were CRAZY better - free time!!).

Another good thing about the Oly's is that swimming is disproportionally important, as compared to the other distances, so you'll be getting squared away on what you identify as your weakness - a good foundation for the sport.

Matt

2013-12-31 2:00 PM

User image

I'm wondering what everyone's experiences are with the training plans through this site - - there's the beginner half IM and the half IM - looks like the first is guaged by RPE and not sure but guessing the second is by HR. Reminder I'm new to this... my concern is that the beginner one might be on the lesser side of getting fully prepared, and the other might be a bit more than I need. Can anyone shed some light on the significant difference(s) between these and what might be the best approach? Thinking if go with beginner i can always add to it, or vice versa, back off a bit if need by on the regular half training plan. Any advice?? Thanks!
2013-12-31 3:46 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi James (and crew),

I'm in!

NAME: cadnams - Chris Adnams

STORY: I'm a 40 year old father of two young kids.

I've always played sport. I have no great success story to tell and I have no athletic background in any of the triathlon disciplines. But I love trying new things. Mostly I do things that are solo pursuits, not team sports. Not sure why. Although these days a back problem means I can't play anything involving contact.

My Tri career is very new. Decided mid way through our last local season (I live in Australia) to do a couple of sprints, and I really enjoyed the excitement of race day. I then started training and everything was going well until I tripped over and smacked my knee on the concrete during a run. But four months later I was back in full swing. I've been training consistently for a while, but not able to do as many session as I'd like. Family commitments make it tough, but my wife is quite supportive which is great.

I've found out the hard way that things don't always go to plan, but it just makes the challenge (and the reward) that much better. Mentally I just try and enjoy the training and feeling fit. That way I don't lose everything if races don't go well.

We are at the start of our season over here so I'll be racing soon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two. A five year old son and a three year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train solo, maybe three/four times a week. My body can't cope with too much running so I am managing my load. My cycling is improving a lot. But like lots of triathletes, I swim as little as possible! I really enjoy the training now.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did three sprints last season (2013 ). I have done one sprint so far season and lined up for my first OD in November. It was a DNF as a result of some mechanical problems with the bike. Had a great swim but never got out of T1. Was very frustrating but I learned a lot. I had signed up for Half Marathon mid last year but my knee injury ended that one. I didn't have much luck last year, but 2014 is here now!!

2014 RACES: I am doing an OD on January 12 and then the Melbourne HIM on February 2. I have also signed up for the Noosa OD in November 2014.

I'm sure trying an HIM with no OD's under my belt yet is not normal but I reckon I'm on track. My only goal is only to finish but breaking 6 hours would be good (for me anyway.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 20 pounds through training but now I'm trying not to loose any more.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am really self motivating but I am not involved in a tri club or anything like that. I am new to this sport still Nd I think I would gain a lot from other people's experience, but I can also help support and motivate other new triathletes. I love this sport and enjoy getting into the technical side as well (gear, nutrition, etc)

Here's to a great 2014 for all of us!

2013-12-31 4:09 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cadnams Hi James (and crew), I'm in! NAME: cadnams - Chris Adnams STORY: I'm a 40 year old father of two young kids. I've always played sport. I have no great success story to tell and I have no athletic background in any of the triathlon disciplines. But I love trying new things. Mostly I do things that are solo pursuits, not team sports. Not sure why. Although these days a back problem means I can't play anything involving contact. My Tri career is very new. Decided mid way through our last local season (I live in Australia) to do a couple of sprints, and I really enjoyed the excitement of race day. I then started training and everything was going well until I tripped over and smacked my knee on the concrete during a run. But four months later I was back in full swing. I've been training consistently for a while, but not able to do as many session as I'd like. Family commitments make it tough, but my wife is quite supportive which is great. I've found out the hard way that things don't always go to plan, but it just makes the challenge (and the reward) that much better. Mentally I just try and enjoy the training and feeling fit. That way I don't lose everything if races don't go well. We are at the start of our season over here so I'll be racing soon. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two. A five year old son and a three year old daughter. CURRENT TRAINING: I train solo, maybe three/four times a week. My body can't cope with too much running so I am managing my load. My cycling is improving a lot. But like lots of triathletes, I swim as little as possible! I really enjoy the training now. THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did three sprints last season (2013 ). I have done one sprint so far season and lined up for my first OD in November. It was a DNF as a result of some mechanical problems with the bike. Had a great swim but never got out of T1. Was very frustrating but I learned a lot. I had signed up for Half Marathon mid last year but my knee injury ended that one. I didn't have much luck last year, but 2014 is here now!! 2014 RACES: I am doing an OD on January 12 and then the Melbourne HIM on February 2. I have also signed up for the Noosa OD in November 2014. I'm sure trying an HIM with no OD's under my belt yet is not normal but I reckon I'm on track. My only goal is only to finish but breaking 6 hours would be good (for me anyway. WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 20 pounds through training but now I'm trying not to loose any more. WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am really self motivating but I am not involved in a tri club or anything like that. I am new to this sport still Nd I think I would gain a lot from other people's experience, but I can also help support and motivate other new triathletes. I love this sport and enjoy getting into the technical side as well (gear, nutrition, etc) Here's to a great 2014 for all of us!

Hi Chris!  It will be interesting to compare training and such, as you're smack in the middle of race season - the rest of us will have to race vicariously through you for the time being…  

As for the HIM with an OD just prior, that's not a problem, per se.  As long as your training has prepared you for it, you should be fine.  The hardest thing I found was keeping my bike pace steady and not too fast so that I could run coming off it, as I REALLY wanted to push more Watts!  Glad I didn't, though.  

Looking forward to hearing about the Oly coming up.  Sounds like you've got the swim in hand, from the November race, and that can be the biggest difference when coming up in distance from a sprint.

How's the knee now?

Matt

2013-12-31 4:35 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by cadnams Hi James (and crew), I'm in! NAME: cadnams - Chris Adnams STORY: I'm a 40 year old father of two young kids. I've always played sport. I have no great success story to tell and I have no athletic background in any of the triathlon disciplines. But I love trying new things. Mostly I do things that are solo pursuits, not team sports. Not sure why. Although these days a back problem means I can't play anything involving contact. My Tri career is very new. Decided mid way through our last local season (I live in Australia) to do a couple of sprints, and I really enjoyed the excitement of race day. I then started training and everything was going well until I tripped over and smacked my knee on the concrete during a run. But four months later I was back in full swing. I've been training consistently for a while, but not able to do as many session as I'd like. Family commitments make it tough, but my wife is quite supportive which is great. I've found out the hard way that things don't always go to plan, but it just makes the challenge (and the reward) that much better. Mentally I just try and enjoy the training and feeling fit. That way I don't lose everything if races don't go well. We are at the start of our season over here so I'll be racing soon. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two. A five year old son and a three year old daughter. CURRENT TRAINING: I train solo, maybe three/four times a week. My body can't cope with too much running so I am managing my load. My cycling is improving a lot. But like lots of triathletes, I swim as little as possible! I really enjoy the training now. THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did three sprints last season (2013 ). I have done one sprint so far season and lined up for my first OD in November. It was a DNF as a result of some mechanical problems with the bike. Had a great swim but never got out of T1. Was very frustrating but I learned a lot. I had signed up for Half Marathon mid last year but my knee injury ended that one. I didn't have much luck last year, but 2014 is here now!! 2014 RACES: I am doing an OD on January 12 and then the Melbourne HIM on February 2. I have also signed up for the Noosa OD in November 2014. I'm sure trying an HIM with no OD's under my belt yet is not normal but I reckon I'm on track. My only goal is only to finish but breaking 6 hours would be good (for me anyway. WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 20 pounds through training but now I'm trying not to loose any more. WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am really self motivating but I am not involved in a tri club or anything like that. I am new to this sport still Nd I think I would gain a lot from other people's experience, but I can also help support and motivate other new triathletes. I love this sport and enjoy getting into the technical side as well (gear, nutrition, etc) Here's to a great 2014 for all of us!

Hi Chris!  It will be interesting to compare training and such, as you're smack in the middle of race season - the rest of us will have to race vicariously through you for the time being…  

As for the HIM with an OD just prior, that's not a problem, per se.  As long as your training has prepared you for it, you should be fine.  The hardest thing I found was keeping my bike pace steady and not too fast so that I could run coming off it, as I REALLY wanted to push more Watts!  Glad I didn't, though.  

Looking forward to hearing about the Oly coming up.  Sounds like you've got the swim in hand, from the November race, and that can be the biggest difference when coming up in distance from a sprint.

How's the knee now?

Matt

Thanks for the tip Matt. I am quite sure I'll go too hard on the bike and I'll be trying to manage my effort. Having limited race experience will make this tougher but I'm slowly improving my pacing. The more I train the more I learn about my body under stress.

My knee has been great and I've had no trouble. Recovery took longer than I'd hoped but I didn't push too hard too early. All good now.

Chris
2013-12-31 10:28 PM

Hello! Have any room for another sister in the group?

NAME: HakunaMatata / Danielle

STORY: I'm a marine biology graduate student, currently based out of Victoria, BC, but I travel quite a lot for research (in Florida now!). I ran XC in high school, and I did a few half marathons in college. I started swimming regularly about 5 months ago, and then decided to sign up for my first triathlon. I'm really excited to get started at BT and learn as much as I can.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Been swimming 2x week for the past 5 months or so, along with intermittent running, spinning, strength training, and yoga. I am generally active, and looking forward to focusing my training in the upcoming months. (Just started my BT training log on Dec 18)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races this year, last HM was the Hilo Half Marathon in 2012.

2014 RACES: Signed up for the Shawnigan Lake Triathlon (Sprint) in Nanaimo, BC with my friend on May 25. I've heard that tri's are addicting, so after that....who knows?

WEIGHTLOSS: None

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to learn, and am looking forward to being part of a community to share ideas and motivate each other!

Happy New Year!

2014-01-01 4:37 AM

User image

Hi all,
I would like to join the group if it is still open.

NAME: ghyoc/Chip

STORY: 36 yo, complete beginner. I did some team sports in high school (basket, volley) and after that went to a successful couch potato career for 15 years. I started cycling a couple of years ago with the help of a friend and, in 2011, I started running. I did a half-marathon in 2012 and a couple of mtb races in 2013. In 2013 I started swimming and I am still very much struggling with that.

FAMILY STATUS: Common law marriage with a kid on the way

CURRENT TRAINING: I am quite dis-organized in my training, something that I really want to improve in 2014. The totals for 2013 are 630km running/1350km cycling/ 33500 meter swimming

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A couple of XC MTB races (50k)

2014 RACES: Not really sure yet. I would very much like to run a marathon in the fall and an oly in the summer

WEIGHTLOSS: not a main concern for me

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I want to learn and to improve and, also, I am a good listener
2014-01-01 6:48 AM
in reply to: ghyoc

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Happy New Year's Brothers and Sisters!
I really hope this is a great 2014 for everyone!!!!!
I just got back from a 5.5 mile run in a light run..good start for me making the 1,200 miles running this year.
2014-01-01 8:29 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

NAME: Scottjjmtri99 / Scott

STORY: I triathlon because it's a new challenge. I've been a runner since I can remember. With no better way to explain it, I got bored with just running events. I wanted a bigger challenge. The swim is by far my weakest leg, followed by the bike, and I hold my own rather well on the run. I have two sprint triathlons on my resume with one being 500m swim, 20k bike, 5k run and the other being 750m swim 20k bike, 5k run. Prior to those I have two duathlons before making the switch to triathlons. I'm jumping up to the Olympic distance in 2014. Finding and making the time to train is my biggest challenges going into 2014.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids. Oldest is going on 4 and youngest is 1.5 yrs

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly running this past year with a few rides here and there. Rode enough to familiarize myself with my new/used bike and enough to believe I could finish. Pretty much swim like a freight-liner (slow) but I'm working on that as well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Entered 2013 with my races setup to be Duathlons. Raced them surprisingly well and towards the end got the itch to try the swim as well. Ran many road races distances ranging from 5k to 1/2 marathon.

2014 RACES: Looking for an indoor tri during the winter months to see how my base and training is holding up. 1/2 marathon in April, Olympic June 1st, Olympic July 13th, Olympic August 10th, Olympic September 15th. The first and last Olympic are on the same course.

WEIGHTLOSS: Fine tuning really. 10-15 lbs would be great but not a requirement. Being relatively new to triathlons, I've never been a fan of lifting weights. However, I'm starting a routine of sorts.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Any advice on training, preparation, race day tips, I'm all ears! In the end, better racing will come with experience.

Hey Scott, Welcome to the group!

Look at Trifind.com and search your state. You may find an indoor triathlon in common months. I see you are using the BT log. That is GREAT! Start swimming, you are going need to build that fitness. Any questions fire away.

2014-01-01 8:38 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by cadnams

Hi James (and crew),

I'm in!

NAME: cadnams - Chris Adnams

STORY: I'm a 40 year old father of two young kids.

I've always played sport. I have no great success story to tell and I have no athletic background in any of the triathlon disciplines. But I love trying new things. Mostly I do things that are solo pursuits, not team sports. Not sure why. Although these days a back problem means I can't play anything involving contact.

My Tri career is very new. Decided mid way through our last local season (I live in Australia) to do a couple of sprints, and I really enjoyed the excitement of race day. I then started training and everything was going well until I tripped over and smacked my knee on the concrete during a run. But four months later I was back in full swing. I've been training consistently for a while, but not able to do as many session as I'd like. Family commitments make it tough, but my wife is quite supportive which is great.

I've found out the hard way that things don't always go to plan, but it just makes the challenge (and the reward) that much better. Mentally I just try and enjoy the training and feeling fit. That way I don't lose everything if races don't go well.

We are at the start of our season over here so I'll be racing soon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two. A five year old son and a three year old daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train solo, maybe three/four times a week. My body can't cope with too much running so I am managing my load. My cycling is improving a lot. But like lots of triathletes, I swim as little as possible! I really enjoy the training now.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did three sprints last season (2013 ). I have done one sprint so far season and lined up for my first OD in November. It was a DNF as a result of some mechanical problems with the bike. Had a great swim but never got out of T1. Was very frustrating but I learned a lot. I had signed up for Half Marathon mid last year but my knee injury ended that one. I didn't have much luck last year, but 2014 is here now!!

2014 RACES: I am doing an OD on January 12 and then the Melbourne HIM on February 2. I have also signed up for the Noosa OD in November 2014.

I'm sure trying an HIM with no OD's under my belt yet is not normal but I reckon I'm on track. My only goal is only to finish but breaking 6 hours would be good (for me anyway.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 20 pounds through training but now I'm trying not to loose any more.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am really self motivating but I am not involved in a tri club or anything like that. I am new to this sport still Nd I think I would gain a lot from other people's experience, but I can also help support and motivate other new triathletes. I love this sport and enjoy getting into the technical side as well (gear, nutrition, etc)

Here's to a great 2014 for all of us!

Hi Chris, Welcome to the group!

From down under very cool…... The Navy base I work at has Australia liaisons officers and every one of them are Triathlete’s. Great swimmers and great athletes for that fact.

Question what is OD? I guess Matt knows but I sure don’t.

2014-01-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: HakunaMatata

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by HakunaMatata

Hello! Have any room for another sister in the group?

NAME: HakunaMatata / Danielle

STORY: I'm a marine biology graduate student, currently based out of Victoria, BC, but I travel quite a lot for research (in Florida now!). I ran XC in high school, and I did a few half marathons in college. I started swimming regularly about 5 months ago, and then decided to sign up for my first triathlon. I'm really excited to get started at BT and learn as much as I can.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Been swimming 2x week for the past 5 months or so, along with intermittent running, spinning, strength training, and yoga. I am generally active, and looking forward to focusing my training in the upcoming months. (Just started my BT training log on Dec 18)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No races this year, last HM was the Hilo Half Marathon in 2012.

2014 RACES: Signed up for the Shawnigan Lake Triathlon (Sprint) in Nanaimo, BC with my friend on May 25. I've heard that tri's are addicting, so after that....who knows?

WEIGHTLOSS: None

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to learn, and am looking forward to being part of a community to share ideas and motivate each other!

Happy New Year!

Hello Danielle, Welcome to the group!

Glad to see you using the BT logs. Doing your first tri with a friend is great and encouraging. It will make it so much fun.

2014-01-01 8:59 AM
in reply to: ghyoc

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ghyoc

Hi all,
I would like to join the group if it is still open.

NAME: ghyoc/Chip

STORY: 36 yo, complete beginner. I did some team sports in high school (basket, volley) and after that went to a successful couch potato career for 15 years. I started cycling a couple of years ago with the help of a friend and, in 2011, I started running. I did a half-marathon in 2012 and a couple of mtb races in 2013. In 2013 I started swimming and I am still very much struggling with that.

FAMILY STATUS: Common law marriage with a kid on the way

CURRENT TRAINING: I am quite dis-organized in my training, something that I really want to improve in 2014. The totals for 2013 are 630km running/1350km cycling/ 33500 meter swimming

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A couple of XC MTB races (50k)

2014 RACES: Not really sure yet. I would very much like to run a marathon in the fall and an oly in the summer

WEIGHTLOSS: not a main concern for me

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I want to learn and to improve and, also, I am a good listener

Chip, Welcome to the group!

To help you get organized log your training. BT logs are great. 50K mountain race takes some endurance and pretty tough. Oh yeh when you decide on a race BT has plans to keep you focused on the training.
2014-01-01 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Happy New Year's Brothers and Sisters!
I really hope this is a great 2014 for everyone!!!!!
I just got back from a 5.5 mile run in a light run..good start for me making the 1,200 miles running this year.

Thank you Karl!

That is a very nice running goal for the year.

2014-01-01 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by KWDreamun Happy New Year's Brothers and Sisters! I really hope this is a great 2014 for everyone!!!!! I just got back from a 5.5 mile run in a light run..good start for me making the 1,200 miles running this year.

Right back at you Karl, I hope you had an enjoyable New Year's.

3.2 miles running in the books today, that'll be all for now. I am trying to get my legs back under me after a cold/upper resp mess the past few weeks. Today makes 3 in a row, not fast, but I rarely am. I have been adjusting to wearing my GPS and I think after 3 or 4 runs I am finally figuring out what I want to see when running. 

And this weekend will probably involve race planning for the year, which will also hasten the development of a training calendar. 

Have a great day everyone! And like James mentioned, log those workouts. It is cool to be able to look back at the improvements, what works, what doesn't, etc. 

2014-01-01 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED
Hey Group,

I made a table with everybody’s BT handle and first name. It is on my BT dashboard. I have tried to post it in the group thread but it keeps losing its format. The one on my dashboard has the links to everybody’s training log and makes it real easy to go and inspire people. I will work on it later but if anybody can post it to the group thread correctly let me know.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98777 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16031 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29433 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60577 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.