BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-12-30 10:28 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 Open
Originally posted by thor67

Anybody up for a 20 workouts in 31 days challenge? Will make easy with minimums of 15minute swims, 20 minute runs and 30 minute bikes.

I'm in. Looking forward to it.

2013-12-30 2:15 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - OPEN
I hope that you still have room!

NAME: Drew

STORY: I am from SC and currently in the Army. Being in the military requires me to maintain a certain level of cardiovascular fitness, which is what has drawn me to the multi-sport world. I have a relatively athletic background having played football, lacrosse, and rugby before, but its time to make a move in a new direction. I first got interested in doing Triathlons about 4 months ago and have been researching and training for it ever since. My first triathlon is just a few months away and I can't wait!

FAMILY STATUS: My wife's name is Kate, we have been married for almost 4 years. We currently don't have any kids.

RACE Length FOCUS: Sprints and Olympic

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently training for my first half marathon so I am good to go for running, but just beginning the get into the swim and bike training. I started swimming this fall and am almost up to doing 250m at a time. My first Tri is going to be a pool swim so I think that will be a good opportunity to work out a few kinks before my first open water Tri.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am doing my first sprint on March 22nd in La Grange, GA and then my first open water in Clemson, SC in May.

2013 RACES: I ran a 8k (yes an 8K) this past thanksgiving and finished in 34:18, but that is about it.

BEER PREFERENCE: The type of beer i drink is completely dependent on the type of year; something light like a Heffeweizen in the spring and summer, a nice pilsner in the fall, and probably a nice thick and spicy winter ale around the holidays. I did get the pleasure of being in Munich this year for Oktoberfest where I got to enjoy my outright favorite beer, Augustiner.

WEIGHT LOSS: I really am not too concerned about weight loss, I am more concerned with maintaining where I am currently at.
2013-12-30 2:35 PM
in reply to: drewmarcus15

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drewmarcus15

I hope that you still have room!

NAME: Drew

STORY: I am from SC and currently in the Army.

Are you stationed at Ft. Jackson. I spent a few months there doing AIT in the 90's. I also did a stint at the Octoberfest in Munich as well. You have a great outlook on your beer preferences. Welcome aboard. You have some awesome goals, and we're here to help you in any way to make them happen. Do you follow any swim program/workout, or are you just adding distance as you go? This site has a lot of good advice for beginning swim programs.
2013-12-30 2:42 PM
in reply to: rydergal

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by rydergal

Have ya got room for a beer loving female to join?? I notice a few familiar names from a 2012 forum! Hello again !!!

NAME: Tera

STORY: Started running in 2008 seriously to do a relay with some ladies from work from Baker to Vegas and was hooked. I've always been active but never raced. 2009 I had my daughter and bought my first road bike with intentions to do a triathlon, but needed to learn to swim good!.....2010- 5months after having my daughter I did a sprint tri and then thought I was going to quit.....I did a couple duathlons and 5/10kms and then 2011 tri season started up again and I gave it another tri :P .....I did 3 more sprints ( 2 ows) and my first half marathon that fall and then took the big leap and signed up for Ironman Canada! Yep crazy after only doing a sprint tri and half marathon......I ran my first marathon 2012 @ the Rock and Roll Arizona marathon.....raced the CPS half and sub 2hr!!! ...raced my first oly @ wasa and it was so cold they bumped the swim to a 750m......raced Great White North and then Ironman Canada!

I remember when you were training up for the IM Canada. How time flies. Welcome back. Looks like you have a full slate of racing for this year.
2013-12-30 4:15 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I like beer, I like triathlons, is there room for one more?

NAME: Mark (aka MOlsen, as Mark is so common it's easier to go by first/last name combo)

STORY: The beginning of my story is told here in a BT "First Tri" article I wrote last year: 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2515

This year I have continued with a bunch of sprint tri's and stepped up my run game to finish the year with 3 half marathons. I've managed to keep most of the weight off that I lost two years ago despite my love for food and beer.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my lovely wife Stephanie, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 3-5 times a week, commute on my bike to work ~3 days with a long bike on Saturday, swim 2-3 days. My focus for the off-season is to improve my swimming before OWS season starts again.

2014 RACES: About 3-5 sprint tri's (depending on lake conditions), my first Oly, and at least 4 half marathons.

BEER PREFERENCE: Pale and hoppy. Fresh bright hops that balance well. Being in California grants me access to a bounty of wonderful IPA's from San Diego and northern California.

WEIGHT LOSS: I need to drop at least 10 pounds of "holiday weight" and would like to trim down to 175 by mid race season.

2013-12-30 5:15 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by MOlsen

I love beer, I love triathlons, is there room for one more?

NAME: Mark (aka MOlsen, as Mark is so common it's easier to go by first/last name combo)

STORY: The beginning of my story is told here in a BT "First Tri" article I wrote last year: 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2515

This year I have continued with a bunch of sprint tri's and stepped up my run game to finish the year with 3 half marathons. I've managed to keep most of the weight off that I lost two years ago despite my love for food and beer.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my lovely wife Stephanie, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 3-5 times a week, commute on my bike to work ~3 days with a long bike on Saturday, swim 2-3 days. My focus for the off-season is to improve my swimming before OWS season starts again.

2014 RACES: About 3-5 sprint tri's (depending on lake conditions), my first Oly, and at least 4 half marathons.

BEER PREFERENCE: Pale and hoppy. Fresh bright hops that balance well. Being in California grants me access to a bounty of wonderful IPA's from San Diego and northern California.

WEIGHT LOSS: I need to drop at least 10 pounds of "holiday weight" and would like to trim down to 175 by mid race season.

First off I corrected your intro....

Secondly, as far as I am concerned,  you are automatically in as soon as you said hoppy.

Third, when I seen your name "molsen" I automatically assume you misspelled  "Molson Canadian" DavidQ's favourite beer...just kidding David!

Cheers!

2013-12-30 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by MOlsen

I like beer, I like triathlons, is there room for one more?p>

Have you enjoyed the IPA from Stone? I believe their out of San Diego. They also have a Ruination and a Ruinten. Easily among my favorites.
2013-12-30 7:55 PM

User image

Expert

Anybody up for a 20 workouts in 31 days challenge? Will make easy with minimums of 15minute swims, 20 minute runs and 30 minute bikes.

Thor - Way to get the new group started. Let's see if we can make this a monthly thing. I'm in!
2013-12-30 8:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Drew - Welcome to the BDAS. So glad to have you! With your first race coming up in a few months - let us know how we can help support you as your training progresses.

I love trying new beers and I would love to try Augustiner! I've never heard of it - is it distributed all around the country or is it hard to get. I checked it out on line and the page I saw said that the brewery that produces it is Munich's #1 selling beer which is saying something...

How's the swimming going?

Edited by Qua17 2013-12-30 8:09 PM
2013-12-30 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Mark: We'd love to have you - there is always room at the bar!

The part of your bio that caught my eye was "at least 4 half marathons"... That's hard core! Amazing how far you've come from those first painful steps.

Despite what Thor aka I drink molsens because I'm from canada and I love Coors light, might have you believe, I love a good and hoppy IPA. Off the top of my head, here are my top 5:

Heady Topper (Imperial) from VT
Two Hearted Ale from MI
Resin from Six Point in NY
Headhunter from OH
Harpoon IPA from MA

What's your favorite?

Welcome to the BDAS - Let us know how we can support you!
2013-12-30 8:32 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Originally posted by Qua17

Thor - Way to get the new group started. Let's see if we can make this a monthly thing. I'm in!

Definitely need the motivation! I'm in too. We starting on the 1st?

2013-12-30 8:39 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Hello everyone! Good to see that we're up an running with a new season. For the new members, welcome! I joined the group this last year and the everyone was great in supporting me in meeting my first year goals. Hope everyone's doing well. I'm sure we're going to have a great 2014!
2013-12-30 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Today was a good day - I got in two sessions of PT and my hip pain continues to get better. I'm not totally pain free but I am light years away from where I was for the majority of this year. I have an appointment to go see my doc on Friday and I;m giving serious thought to cancelling and saving the $25 bucks for another day.

I also went to the gym for a swim. It's funny - the heater for the pool has been on the fritz for almost 10 days now as they have been waiting for a part. So, instead of the temp being 83 like it usually is - the temp is in the mid seventies. The crazy thing is - no one uses it any more. Sometime I have to wait for a lane but the last four times I've swum - I've been all alone. The water is fine - balmy compared to the water temp at the triathlon I always do in May.

My reward was a type of beer I hadn't had before. It's called a Radler and I got it at a recent beer exchange (which is kind of like a cookie swap only better). Anyway - a radler is a german beer that's made from mixing beer with fruit juice. I had a Steigl Radler and it was awesome. I can only imagine how it would taste after finishing a tri... Guess I'm going to have to find out.

2013-12-30 8:48 PM

User image

So far the swimming is going well for someone who hasn't spent much time in a pool in a long time. I started out by doing very basic short workouts in a 25m pool that largely consisted of doing a lap 10 times. Now I am up to doing about 250m at a time and have started to transition between a few different strokes to conserve energy. Any basic workouts that might add some variety to my down-back-down-back repertoire would be appreciated.

On a much more important front, Augustiner is pretty hard to find in the US, but it is out there. I have only seen it sold in about 3 or 4 stores. Also if any of you get the chance try Anderson Valley's Monkeef Saison is a really great brew if you stumble on it!
2013-12-30 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hey Mark, that's an awesome t-shirt - it matches mine

Tera and Drew, it's a pleasure to meet you folks, and I look forward to hanging out with everyone.

Today's a very special day for me - I always swore I was never going to call myself a runner, but today I lost the right to shirk from that - today was mile 1,000 for the year. If I ran from my house to DQ's house, I'd still have to run another 17 miles to get that distance. That's from my house to New Orleans, and then another 75 miles.

A good year. Masters tomorrow, and then some birthday pizza.

People tend to talk about fresh starts and the like at this time of year, and it something that doesn't resonate with me. Everything is a learning experience, good, bad, and ugly. To start fresh, with a clean sheet of paper, is, to me, to disregard and forget how we get where we are. In 2013, I ran my first races (5k to marathon), my first sprint and olympic triathlon, over 2,000 miles on the bike, and I swam over 125 miles. I also end this year 15 pounds heavier than I began it (which is really a horrible achievement, since I burned 264,421 calories). Live, learn, and build - and let's make 2014 a great year.

(Also, logging everything produces some interesting results - using my BMR, plus my weight gain, plus my workout calories, over the course of the year, yields that my average daily calorie intake is 2,869 . . . no wonder I put on weight).
2013-12-30 9:24 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
How did it work out??? Which kind of trainer do u use? I used to use trainer road but found that it didn't work well with my trainer ( tacx flow) so the workouts weren't reaching the max potential....but if the Bluetooth wahoo works well I may have to add that instead.

Well cut off my wireless bike computer to install Bluetooth wahoo speed/cadence sensor yesterday....technical difficulties, so I will re do tonite in hopes of getting it fixed! Would like to fire up trainerroad.com!

2013-12-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Nice to meet u too,,,,Freaking awesome!!! Happy 1000mile!! congrats.

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Tera and Drew, it's a pleasure to meet you folks, and I look forward to hanging out with everyone.

Today's a very special day for me - I always swore I was never going to call myself a runner, but today I lost the right to shirk from that - today was mile 1,000 for the year. If I ran from my house to DQ's house, I'd still have to run another 17 miles to get that distance. That's from my house to New Orleans, and then another 75 miles.

People tend to talk about fresh starts and the like at this time of year, and it something that doesn't resonate with me. Everything is a learning experience, good, bad, and ugly. To start fresh, with a clean sheet of paper, is, to me, to disregard and forget how we get where we are. In 2013, I ran my first races (5k to marathon), my first sprint and olympic triathlon, over 2,000 miles on the bike, and I swam over 125 miles. I also end this year 15 pounds heavier than I began it (which is really a horrible achievement, since I burned 264,421 calories). Live, learn, and build - and let's make 2014 a great year.

(Also, logging everything produces some interesting results - using my BMR, plus my weight gain, plus my workout calories, over the course of the year, yields that my average daily calorie intake is 2,869 . . . no wonder I put on weight).
2013-12-30 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

Originally posted by NeverTri'd

Definitely need the motivation! I'm in too. We starting on the 1st?

Yep i'm in! need the motivation.
2013-12-30 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

Mark: We'd love to have you - there is always room at the bar!

The part of your bio that caught my eye was "at least 4 half marathons"... That's hard core! Amazing how far you've come from those first painful steps.

Despite what Thor aka I drink molsens because I'm from canada and I love Coors light, might have you believe, I love a good and hoppy IPA. Off the top of my head, here are my top 5:

Heady Topper (Imperial) from VT
Two Hearted Ale from MI
Resin from Six Point in NY
Headhunter from OH
Harpoon IPA from MA

What's your favorite?

Welcome to the BDAS - Let us know how we can support you!

I gotta start remembering the names of the beer's that hubby and I try out....We just came back from Anaheim/San Diego/Vegas and tried a bunch while out at different restaurants...but do u think I can remember the names? nope....but if you ask me how many time's we stopped on the commute from san diego to vegas cuz of the kids I would remember...Ahhh the life of a mom..
2013-12-31 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well I have finally hooked up the sensors and have them working. At one point I was pedalling like crazy and only doing .9miles/ hour....going to play around with it a bit today and then get the trainer road subscription for the weekend. I have a cycleops fluid trainer. by the way there is one on kijiji for $175 in Calgary....not sure if it is still around.

I also bought a iPhone case/bike mount for it. I always take my phone with me on my rides, now it is also my bike computer!

Pretty sure Charles(mirthfuldragon) is a trainer road expert as well, so he would be a good resource as well!

Originally posted by rydergal How did it work out??? Which kind of trainer do u use? I used to use trainer road but found that it didn't work well with my trainer ( tacx flow) so the workouts weren't reaching the max potential....but if the Bluetooth wahoo works well I may have to add that instead.

Well cut off my wireless bike computer to install Bluetooth wahoo speed/cadence sensor yesterday....technical difficulties, so I will re do tonite in hopes of getting it fixed! Would like to fire up trainerroad.com!

2013-12-31 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great to see all the new and old faces on the board ready to roll!

I will throw out a couple of thoughts for the new people to help train.

1)use the training log

2)be consistent with your training

3)Get involved on the discussion board. The more involved you are, the more connected you are. I feel like I owe to the guys and gals to get my training done.

4) You will hit some lows in your training...that is where your "teammates" are there to help.

5) There are NO stupid questions! If you don't know ask! (no you don't wear underwear under your tri shorts...well at least I don't!)

6) Triathlon is not cheap...that being said, you don't need to buy everything at once. There are ways to make it cheaper. You can use any bike, swimsuit, or runners you want. 

7)I know I am missing a bunch so add in boys and girls!

2013-12-31 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

What is up for everyone for training/new years today/tomorrow?

I am taking the kids swimming this morning(as well as taking my wife a coffee) then on the bike. May sneak in a run this aft.

Tonite out to some friends house for new years. Will probably not make it to midnite....

will be drinking my last phillips Zeus IPA from my hop box. After that I am done as I am driving tonite!

If any of you can get it you should try find the hop box. It is out of Victoria BC, Canada. A dozen beer with 3 regulars and one guest beer. All IPA's!

Tera you should be able to find it in Calgary. Kevin, if you have not drowned fishing, you may be able to find it. 

Have a great new years eve everyone!!

2013-12-31 9:51 AM
in reply to: drewmarcus15

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drewmarcus15

So far the swimming is going well for someone who hasn't spent much time in a pool in a long time. I started out by doing very basic short workouts in a 25m pool that largely consisted of doing a lap 10 times. Now I am up to doing about 250m at a time and have started to transition between a few different strokes to conserve energy. Any basic workouts that might add some variety to my down-back-down-back repertoire would be appreciated.

On a much more important front, Augustiner is pretty hard to find in the US, but it is out there. I have only seen it sold in about 3 or 4 stores. Also if any of you get the chance try Anderson Valley's Monkeef Saison is a really great brew if you stumble on it!

Drew - I love the fact that you appreciate a good saison. Saisons and Guezes are my favorite types of beers these days. I will check out the Anderson Valley!

As far as swim plans go - I've used the ones on this site but I also like this online site that generates swim plans beses upon your current level of progress. Here is the link http://www.swimplan.com/index.php Here is a good article on the USA Triathlon page that tells you how to create your own workouts http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multis...

Hope these help and congrats on your progress in the pool.
2013-12-31 10:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Charles - Happy New Year. I couldn't have said it better myself. A few nights ago, I was looking over my milage totals for the year and I got really depressed. 2013 was my second full year doing tris and due to nagging injuries I didn't even managed to swim, bike, and run half of what I had the previous year. I called my wife to express my frustration and she put it in perspective for me. Sure, my milage was down - but thanks to the people in this group, I never gave up and I'm ending the year on a really good note due to my hard work and determination. So, I think we all have a choice, we can look at the negatives or we can congratulate ourselves on what we were actually able to accomplish. Let's think about that as the year comes to a close knowing that 2014 is bound to be a better year because of what we did this year.

Prost!

PS - if you ever want to attempt that Forrest Gump-like run to my house - I will be sure to have a cold beer waiting for you.

Edited by Qua17 2013-12-31 10:04 AM
2013-12-31 10:16 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by kevinbe

Have you enjoyed the IPA from Stone? I believe their out of San Diego. They also have a Ruination and a Ruinten. Easily among my favorites.

Hard to drink beer in California and not drink Stone  They have a series of incredible IPA's called the "Enjoy by" series that includes a date by which you need to drink it (ie: "Enjoy by 12-20-13"). The hops are so bright and fresh it's incredible. They release a batch about every 3-4 months and I always try to get at least a couple bottles, or if I'm lucky find a bar in my area that managed to get a keg.

There are a handful of local breweries in my area that make some good IPA's as well. Probably the one with the biggest distribution would be Firestone Walker and their "Union Jack" IPA. On the smaller scale is Figueroa Mountain brewery and their "Hoppy Poppy" IPA, light on the malt with crisp flowery hops.

On the topic of work outs, today I'm taking it easy as my feet are still a little sore from the San Diego Holiday Half-Marathon which I ran on Sunday. It was a mostly downhill course (inland to coast) so my feet took a little extra beating on the downhill segments. Still working on my running technique and letting myself "go" with the momentum. Tomorrow I will either go for a bike ride to pick up my car or go surfing if the waves are good, maybe both!

If you are having trouble remembering what beers you try, check out the phone app called "Untappd". It's like a social network for beer, you "check-in" to a beer and can give it a rating. With all the different beers I try it's handy for knowing if I've had one before and what I rated it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.