BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-12-31 12:48 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 Open
Welcome new folks! Some great stories.

I'm in for the monthly challenge.

2013-12-31 1:06 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
The decision to get faster and stay at sprints is sitting better with me. I've been busting out interval work and loving it. It is keeping everything fresh and new. My goal to place in my AG at the Captiva race in Sept is going to be hard since 1st was a cool 1:00:56 and 3rd was 1:02:01. I'm sitting at 1:08:02 and I know where I can make up the 8 minutes I just need to focus and train smarter. I figure is can get :15 each transition, 2:00 on my swim, 3:00 on the bike, and 2:30 on the run. It's gonna be rough but I honestly believe I can do this. Considering I have pulled 14:00 off my time from July to December I got this.

Bring it 2014....bring it!

Have a safe and happy New Year everyone.
2013-12-31 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by kevinbe

Have you enjoyed the IPA from Stone? I believe their out of San Diego. They also have a Ruination and a Ruinten. Easily among my favorites.

Hard to drink beer in California and not drink Stone  They have a series of incredible IPA's called the "Enjoy by" series that includes a date by which you need to drink it (ie: "Enjoy by 12-20-13"). The hops are so bright and fresh it's incredible. They release a batch about every 3-4 months and I always try to get at least a couple bottles, or if I'm lucky find a bar in my area that managed to get a keg.

There are a handful of local breweries in my area that make some good IPA's as well. Probably the one with the biggest distribution would be Firestone Walker and their "Union Jack" IPA. On the smaller scale is Figueroa Mountain brewery and their "Hoppy Poppy" IPA, light on the malt with crisp flowery hops.

On the topic of work outs, today I'm taking it easy as my feet are still a little sore from the San Diego Holiday Half-Marathon which I ran on Sunday. It was a mostly downhill course (inland to coast) so my feet took a little extra beating on the downhill segments. Still working on my running technique and letting myself "go" with the momentum. Tomorrow I will either go for a bike ride to pick up my car or go surfing if the waves are good, maybe both!

If you are having trouble remembering what beers you try, check out the phone app called "Untappd". It's like a social network for beer, you "check-in" to a beer and can give it a rating. With all the different beers I try it's handy for knowing if I've had one before and what I rated it.

]

I use an app called evernote to record my tasting notes in addition to being able to keep notes, I love the fact that I can search for beers Ive tried by location. I can also take a picture.

Enjoy your surfing!
2013-12-31 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Hey do what makes you happy! Good on you for realizing what you want to do and going for it! Podium and a cold beer for you!  Have a great new year's eve!

Originally posted by Burd The decision to get faster and stay at sprints is sitting better with me. I've been busting out interval work and loving it. It is keeping everything fresh and new. My goal to place in my AG at the Captiva race in Sept is going to be hard since 1st was a cool 1:00:56 and 3rd was 1:02:01. I'm sitting at 1:08:02 and I know where I can make up the 8 minutes I just need to focus and train smarter. I figure is can get :15 each transition, 2:00 on my swim, 3:00 on the bike, and 2:30 on the run. It's gonna be rough but I honestly believe I can do this. Considering I have pulled 14:00 off my time from July to December I got this. Bring it 2014....bring it! Have a safe and happy New Year everyone.

Edited by thor67 2013-12-31 3:17 PM
2013-12-31 3:20 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well looked at my yearly numbers...dismal but considering the injury issues, i am just glad to be semi healthy and back training!

Did a 45 minute trainer ride. wahoo blue tooth seem to work pretty good. next up will be the getting on trainer road.com.

Cheers!

2013-12-31 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

The decision to get faster and stay at sprints is sitting better with me. I've been busting out interval work and loving it. It is keeping everything fresh and new. My goal to place in my AG at the Captiva race in Sept is going to be hard since 1st was a cool 1:00:56 and 3rd was 1:02:01. I'm sitting at 1:08:02 and I know where I can make up the 8 minutes I just need to focus and train smarter. I figure is can get :15 each transition, 2:00 on my swim, 3:00 on the bike, and 2:30 on the run. It's gonna be rough but I honestly believe I can do this. Considering I have pulled 14:00 off my time from July to December I got this.

Love the enthusiasm Alex! I wouldn't be surprised if you broke an hour. That would be quite an accomplishment. COnsidering how far you have come this year - I'd put my money on you!

Happy New Year!

2013-12-31 4:45 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Happy New Years Everybody! I've got a chuck roast and a boatload of healthy veggies roasting in the oven which I plan to share with friends this evening. I got in a 90 minute drainer ride to burn off enough calories to enjoy several icy cold beverages this evening. I will be sure to provide a complete report once I kick my handover tomorrow morning : )

Thanks to everyone in the group who has helped me this year. I am convinced that I would have found my way back to my old fat self at some point this year if it hadn't been for your support. Many, many thanks!

Prost!
2013-12-31 5:52 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi

8:00? You've got this! As hard as you work, it's going to happen!
2013-12-31 5:57 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Originally posted by Qua17

Happy New Years Everybody! I've got a chuck roast and a boatload of healthy veggies roasting in the oven which I plan to share with friends this evening. I got in a 90 minute drainer ride to burn off enough calories to enjoy several icy cold beverages this evening. I will be sure to provide a complete report once I kick my handover tomorrow morning : )

Thanks to everyone in the group who has helped me this year. I am convinced that I would have found my way back to my old fat self at some point this year if it hadn't been for your support. Many, many thanks!

Prost!

Thank you, Dave! I'm glad to be a member of the group and appreciate your leadership heading it up. Your words of encouragement and advice made a huge difference in my first year of TRI. Enjoy yourself tonight and be safe! I'm staying in tonight and enjoying a bottle of bourbon for a change. Got a trainer ride waiting on me tomorrow. Bought my tri bike last month but wasn't able to get fit on it until today. Anxious to see how the changes feel tomorrow.

Bill
2013-12-31 6:03 PM
in reply to: drewmarcus15

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - OPEN
Originally posted by drewmarcus15

So far the swimming is going well for someone who hasn't spent much time in a pool in a long time. I started out by doing very basic short workouts in a 25m pool that largely consisted of doing a lap 10 times. Now I am up to doing about 250m at a time and have started to transition between a few different strokes to conserve energy. Any basic workouts that might add some variety to my down-back-down-back repertoire would be appreciated.

On a much more important front, Augustiner is pretty hard to find in the US, but it is out there. I have only seen it sold in about 3 or 4 stores. Also if any of you get the chance try Anderson Valley's Monkeef Saison is a really great brew if you stumble on it!

I was in the same boat this summer. Hadn't done any significant swimming in about 15 years! GOOD NEWS...it comes fast! Stay consistent in your pool workouts and get comfortable being in the water. That was the biggest thing for me. Relaxing and getting into a good rhythm during my workouts. Before long, you'll be doubling your current distances. Good Luck!

Bill

2013-12-31 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Love the enthusiasm Alex! I wouldn't be surprised if you broke an hour. That would be quite an accomplishment. COnsidering how far you have come this year - I'd put my money on you!

Happy New Year!

Your desire and focus will be what determines your success! You are so definite!

2013-12-31 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Well look at me I was still lingering on the old site! I need this group more than you know!

NAME: Cynthia or Cynthia

STORY: I look athletic and could be but led a sedentary life for most of my twenties and thirties. In the summer of 2010 the high desert heat was something awful and we don't have cable so I was stuck sitting and watching reruns of IM Championships. Everyone on there is terribly inspiring but one "talked" to me. Sister Madonna ran across my t.v. for the third time that summer, smiling as usual. But this time, as I was eating potato chips she smiled and turned and said, "Why aren't you doing this?". Ok I am not that crazy I don't always hear voices but this is how my memory of that day went. So, begrudgingly I threw the chips down and looked up how to do triathlons. I did not know how to swim so I watched videos, I did not own a bike until a few weeks before my first tri, (just used the stationary bike at the base gym) and I HATED! HATED! running. I am a MOP or BOP but have learned that none of that matters.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Christopher, Mr. Supportive, for 29 years. We have three grown daughters all in their 20's and one with the best grandson ever...a.k.a the punk and a half. My daughter is going through a divorce so she and J live with us. We are suppose to be empty nesters but only experienced that for about two months last year. The front door is a revolving door. We got a new German Shepard earlier this year and my daughter has a small dog named Annie.

CURRENT TRAINING: Hmmm well...I was on the beginner half IM plan this year but do to sciatic injury, GI issues, and an overall bleh feeling I decided to start slower this time and do the OLY plan. BUT then I decided not to start this week to rest since I have a terrible flu! I am trying to find it again...for another post.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am already signed up for the Hits OLY in Napa but will keep it local this year. Local meaning Folsom area which is still 300 miles away! The good and bad of living in the middle of no where!

WEIGHT LOSS: I use to weigh 234, no typo, but over the years I began to make changes, adding more water, eating less cake, and move! So I lost about 70lbs and hang out at 163 to 167. However, I am really a small boned woman and at my best I guess I would weigh about 145...I'll know it when I see it.

This group has been a great place for me. At work and home everyone needs me which I don't mind most times but it sure is nice to have a place to purge...which I do. Sorry, you all get every little thought and sometimes I forget to filter so I also apologize for offending anyone that is never my intention. I want to find focus this year and something has to give...I am a state worker but take my job to heart. That is the area I will need to release and focus on me. Whatever it is I get from being the go to person at work I will need to figure it out bc I am burning out! I never get this sick and I have twice this year!

Edited by SportzVision 2013-12-31 8:54 PM
2013-12-31 9:00 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I use to be able to s/b/r through the pain and the sickness...been hit hard this year and can't seem to find that in me anymore. Had a bad cough for four weeks...ran a few times and just when it started getting better it got worse! Been down for two days...which has turned into four days.

Remember when I said you get every unfiltered thought....

My wants for 2014:
I want to feel that desire to do better not just get through it
I want to feel the pain and say aaahhh I did well; this is a good soreness
I want to enjoy myself
I want to make the last year of my 40s EPIC!
I want to be fearless
I want a massage once a month
I want more socks
I want more running shoes
I want a tri bag
I want more sex
I want more muscles
I want more water
I want to travel the world
I want to be faster than last year
I want to do yoga three times a week
I want to inspire others by doing
I want a better GPA...fling flanging b average
I want more of everything! The good the bad and the ugly because I am learning that if I push through all that is bad and ugly I will have more good than imagined
2013-12-31 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3
Originally posted by thor67

2 days in a row of running with my wife for me!! Felt great today. Could there be  three days in a row??

Well?????
2013-12-31 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3

I apologize for my absence since last Thursday... My son has been in the hospital and diagnosed with something called Guillian Barre syndrome. It was really scary until the docs figured it out. When we got the hospital, he had lost control of the muscles in his face (he looked like he was having a stroke - but on both sides of his face). He was also losing feeling in his legs and his balance was so bad he found it difficult to walk. Luckily - he should make a full recovery but be are headed to the rehab hospital where Jacob did a three month stint when he had a TBI. Docs don't know how long he will be there - but the good thing is that my training partner works there, so I should be able to get in a few good workouts.

Managed to get in a "workout" - I ran up and down the stairs here at the hospital for about ten minutes and then when my legs were about to burst, I found the empy corridors of the med school.

I figure we should go live sometime between now and the weekend. I just want to say before we add a few new BTers, I am so thankful to have you in my life. You have held me accountable and for that I am thankful. It's gonna be a great 201

Thank you and best wishes, speedy recovery and Happy New Year! Take care of yourself to be strong for your boy and family!
2014-01-01 10:37 AM

User image

Happy New Years All!!!

Yesterday I hit the pool again and quickly figured out the difference between a pool with a working and non-working heater. I was still able to get in about a Kilometer of work but definitely noticed the difference in how fast my muscles were fatigued, lesson learned: if the race allows wetsuits it is for a reason. Started off the new year with a brisk 5 Mile run without any major issues.

I am really excited to get back to GA because my new road bike should be in and ready to get fitted to me. This is my first bike in a long time and my overall first road bike, exciting stuff! Its time to transition off of the stationary bike! In the next few weeks I am going to start really working in some distance rides into my training.

79 days until my first sprint!

2014-01-01 12:04 PM
in reply to: drewmarcus15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by drewmarcus15 Happy New Years All!!! Yesterday I hit the pool again and quickly figured out the difference between a pool with a working and non-working heater. I was still able to get in about a Kilometer of work but definitely noticed the difference in how fast my muscles were fatigued, lesson learned: if the race allows wetsuits it is for a reason. Started off the new year with a brisk 5 Mile run without any major issues. I am really excited to get back to GA because my new road bike should be in and ready to get fitted to me. This is my first bike in a long time and my overall first road bike, exciting stuff! Its time to transition off of the stationary bike! In the next few weeks I am going to start really working in some distance rides into my training. 79 days until my first sprint!

nice job all around. What kind of bike did you get?

2014-01-01 12:37 PM

User image

I got a pretty base 14 speed Masi. I wanted to get a decent base that i could build off of as needed without breaking the bank on the front end.
2014-01-01 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Have you enjoyed the IPA from Stone? I believe their out of San Diego. They also have a Ruination and a Ruinten. Easily among my favorites.

Hard to drink beer in California and not drink Stone  They have a series of incredible IPA's called the "Enjoy by" series that includes a date by which you need to drink it (ie: "Enjoy by 12-20-13"). The hops are so bright and fresh it's incredible. They release a batch about every 3-4 months and I always try to get at least a couple bottles, or if I'm lucky find a bar in my area that managed to get a keg.

Yes! I've had a growler full of the sell by, I believe it was some ridiculous 10.5% and 90+IBU's. Outstanding brewery. I also enjoy Firestone Union Jack immensely. Both IPA's are in my top 10.

2014-01-01 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Love the clarity of your goals!
2014-01-01 2:13 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Yes! I've had a growler full of the sell by, I believe it was some ridiculous 10.5% and 90+IBU's. Outstanding brewery. I also enjoy Firestone Union Jack immensely. Both IPA's are in my top 10.

Everytime I get to San Diego I make sure to fill the growler at Stone! Haven't found a fav but never disappointed.

2014-01-01 2:14 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Everytime I get to San Diego I make sure to fill the growler at Stone! Haven't found a fav but never disappointed.
2014-01-01 5:29 PM

User image

Iowa
Hi David,
I would like to jointhe group. I'm Jim from Iowa.

Story; I was an athlete many years ago but it was mostly weight training. I did a sprint in 2012 and enjoyed it a lot. It felt real good training and doing a race. My goal was to finish a sprint. I did finish the race but i think i was passed by every girl while riding the bike. All I herd was "on your left" I lost some weight back then and was feeling good. I had some health problems that carried over through the 2013 season (kidney) but all is well now. I want to get back into shape and drop some weight. I am about 240 pounds and sluggish from no training.

Family; I have a wife and 7 yo girl at home. I also have 2 sons in California 30 and 29. The older one does half iron man.

Current training; I just started weight training using light weights and high reps. I am set up with a treadmil and spinning bike at home and the YMCA for the pool (25 yard).

Beer; It is anything hoppy. I also have made my own beer the last was a hoppy honey brown. I am a member of the MOB, (makers of beer)

Future races in 2014; a sprint in June to start but all depends on training and commitment.
2014-01-01 6:17 PM
in reply to: jimyak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by jimyak Hi David, I would like to jointhe group. I'm Jim from Iowa. Story; I was an athlete many years ago but it was mostly weight training. I did a sprint in 2012 and enjoyed it a lot. It felt real good training and doing a race. My goal was to finish a sprint. I did finish the race but i think i was passed by every girl while riding the bike. All I herd was "on your left" I lost some weight back then and was feeling good. I had some health problems that carried over through the 2013 season (kidney) but all is well now. I want to get back into shape and drop some weight. I am about 240 pounds and sluggish from no training. Family; I have a wife and 7 yo girl at home. I also have 2 sons in California 30 and 29. The older one does half iron man. Current training; I just started weight training using light weights and high reps. I am set up with a treadmil and spinning bike at home and the YMCA for the pool (25 yard). Beer; It is anything hoppy. I also have made my own beer the last was a hoppy honey brown. I am a member of the MOB, (makers of beer) Future races in 2014; a sprint in June to start but all depends on training and commitment.

Hey Jim, were you in one a couple of years ago with me?? Either way, welcome to the group!

2014-01-01 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Ding! 1 for 30, 19 to go on the 20 in 31 day workout challenge. Did everyone get a workout in today?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.