BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-03-25 1:23 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Originally posted by Qua17 Weekly Goals for the week of 3/24/2014 DQ - 2 runs and 3 rides (shoulder is healing), PT like it's my job, find a heart rate monitor, record every calorie. make it back to one-derland.

If I can make a suggestion about HRMs: Depending on your budget, I have found that the Garmin 310XT is the best bang for the buck. It's a solid GPS device, which comes with an HRM strap. The GPS works well in the water and it is rated for swimming use. There is also a quick release option so it can quickly and smoothly go from wrist in the water, mount on the bike and back to wrist on the run. It runs $220 CAD up here so it's not too badly priced for what you get. With the optional bike mount (not the one that you just wrap the wrist strap around but the quick release version) and cadence/speed sensor you can basically eliminate all other gadgets and use the one for everything. It's also compatible with RidewithGPS (which is an awesome website for tracking cycling routes and rides). 

2014-03-25 1:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Weekly Goals for the week of 3/24/2014 DQ - 2 runs and 3 rides (shoulder is healing), PT like it's my job, find a heart rate monitor, record every calorie. make it back to one-derland.

Alan - 

2 swims, 3 rides (one big one), 3 runs (one big one). Drop another pound. 

2014-03-25 1:30 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by adempsey10

Alan - 

Alex - 3 Ellipticals, 3 Strength, 3 Bikes, 2 Swims.
2014-03-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Went for a great 6 mile run today on my hilly route, felt much better than my run last week.

Over the weekend I was able to appreciate a very tasty beer from Stone Brewing, their current "Enjoy By" IPA. An IPA with such an incredible yet balanced hoppy flavor they recommend it be enjoyed within 2 months of being bottled. They do a release about 3-4 times a year, each with a date printed on the bottle.

2014-03-25 9:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
This is worth a trip to Total Wine to see if this is on tap. I had the "Sell By" last deer season, and it is a solid brew.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-03-25 9:54 PM
2014-03-25 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Burd

Alan - 

Kevin- 6 strength workouts 30 min ea. 3 runs (2 @2.5 miles, 1@3 miles. 3 miler is at 8:00/mi pace or less.) lose 2 more pounds. current weight 195. Maybe add a swim and/or bike.

2014-03-26 11:45 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by kevinbe

Alan - 

Kevin- 6 strength workouts 30 min ea. 3 runs (2 @2.5 miles, 1@3 miles. 3 miler is at 8:00/mi pace or less.) lose 2 more pounds. current weight 195. Maybe add a swim and/or bike.

Charles: Keep on track with nutrition; enjoy my workouts; get OUTSIDE on the bike regardless of weather.
2014-03-27 9:55 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Why is Ultegra 6700 more money than the new 11sp 6800? I mean really it's last years tech and not shiny and new. Cut me some slack bike shops I need it to build my bike! My rear wheel is 10sp.
2014-03-27 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Why is Ultegra 6700 more money than the new 11sp 6800? I mean really it's last years tech and not shiny and new. Cut me some slack bike shops I need it to build my bike! My rear wheel is 10sp.

I'm curious as to how you see this fact as a problem . . . I see it as a reason to go to 11 . . .and buy new wheels.
My wife sees it as a reason to buy a new purse.
My credit card company sees it as a reason to gleefully charge me interest.
My bank sees it as a reason to send me "low balance" notices.
2014-03-27 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I'm curious as to how you see this fact as a problem . . . I see it as a reason to go to 11 . . .and buy new wheels.
My wife sees it as a reason to buy a new purse.
My credit card company sees it as a reason to gleefully charge me interest.
My bank sees it as a reason to send me "low balance" notices.

Just out of curiosity if I were to get new wheels along the way what can I expect to get out of a set of 2012 Felt TTR3s with under 500 miles on them? Selling them would be the only way to make the switch unless I put the build off even longer until more money frees up. Now you see my problem. I finally get wheels that are inexpensive but "race worthy" and I need to build a bike

I guess I could keep them for my roadie which I will be riding until the build is done anyways. At that point what's another month for a set of 11sp training wheels.

I know you're gonna tell me to go Campy anyways, lol.
2014-03-27 7:42 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Seattle
Thanks for the info. I would like to stay local and think I have found some that would work for me. I do want to train for each one so I think I will shoot for three spread out over time.

2014-03-27 7:45 PM

User image

New user
Seattle
Thanks for all the info about spacing out triathlons and selecting which ones to do. I certainly wish there would be pancakes after my triathlon. I did have a nice IPA from Goodlife Brewing located in Bend, Oregon after my indoor triathlon this past Sunday, followed by a Shakespeare Stout from Rogue. That made the race better.

If anyone is interested, I have a race report up. It was the RainMan Indoor Triathlon in Seattle from this past Sunday, the 23rd. I felt much better than expected during the run but should have pushed the pace on the bike more. I was afraid the run would be incredibly painful after the bike so I held back. Lesson learned. Train more, and I won't worry so much that that will happen.
2014-03-28 8:10 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by jnmrunner

Thanks for all the info about spacing out triathlons and selecting which ones to do. I certainly wish there would be pancakes after my triathlon. I did have a nice IPA from Goodlife Brewing located in Bend, Oregon after my indoor triathlon this past Sunday, followed by a Shakespeare Stout from Rogue. That made the race better.

If anyone is interested, I have a race report up. It was the RainMan Indoor Triathlon in Seattle from this past Sunday, the 23rd. I felt much better than expected during the run but should have pushed the pace on the bike more. I was afraid the run would be incredibly painful after the bike so I held back. Lesson learned. Train more, and I won't worry so much that that will happen.

Nice report. Congrats on the race.
2014-03-28 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I felt much better than expected during the run but should have pushed the pace on the bike more. I was afraid the run would be incredibly painful after the bike so I held back. Lesson learned. Train more, and I won't worry so much that that will happen.

I've found that brick sessions are strange, and largely personal. Lots of people, my wife included, talk about the t2 transition as if it is death incarnate. Personally, on the other hand, I haven't felt that 'dead leg" deathwish. I'm tired, of course, but no more tired than if I had ran a similar amount of time instead of cycling then running.

What have others experienced? How do you get past the dreaded transition of bike to run?

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2014-03-28 4:31 PM
2014-03-29 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I felt much better than expected during the run but should have pushed the pace on the bike more. I was afraid the run would be incredibly painful after the bike so I held back. Lesson learned. Train more, and I won't worry so much that that will happen.

I've found that brick sessions are strange, and largely personal. Lots of people, my wife included, talk about the t2 transition as if it is death incarnate. Personally, on the other hand, I haven't felt that 'dead leg" deathwish. I'm tired, of course, but no more tired than if I had ran a similar amount of time instead of cycling then running.

What have others experienced? How do you get past the dreaded transition of bike to run?

Practice, practice, practice. If I want to run well off the bike, I practice running well off of the bike in my training months leading up to event. I only train in the early morning throughout the week, so out of necessity for time I do brick workouts at least 2x per week. Towards the last 4-6 weeks, I start throwing runs in after longer bike efforts, nothing long, but a 3 mile run after riding 50 miles is plenty to practice coming off of the bike, and teach your body how to respond. Take it slow and easy for the first 1/2 to mile or so, then settle into your pace.
2014-03-29 1:10 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Beer update:

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/pal...

I was at the market yesterday. I saw the 90 minute. Next to it, I saw a new dogfish head IPA at 11%ABV, and in my excitement, I grabbed this beer instead. I was disappointed when I got home to find my mistake. It is like a Barleywine. Very malty, very little hop taste. LOTS of Alcohol. 12%ABV. I am curious to the brewers here, how do you get vanilla and caramel flavor from wood? Is this flavor added, and the wood intensifies it?

2014-03-29 2:38 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Agree with your wife (and many others I guess), T2 is the worst feeling, but it´s only a feeling, because if I check my Garmin the timing is not bad. So I guess it is a combination of practice-practice as suggested and 'brain-teasing', because if you have followed your plan, your legs should be fine!
2014-03-31 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Goals for the week:
3 swim

3 bike

3 run

2014-03-31 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

We seem to be having the pre season lull. The shine is a bit tarnished. Let's get the 25/30 Challenge going again. With race season around the corner, it has to be S/B/R!

On a side note, I finally signed up for my first race this year. Going with a sprint as I don't think my run will be anywhere near up to par for an Oly by July 13. The whole family is doing it. It is one of the reasons I love this sport!

I am thinking of another in May but that will be decided at a later date!

Has anybody else signed up for some tri's yet?

Cheers!

Edited by thor67 2014-03-31 8:28 AM
2014-03-31 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
So, the other day I took advantage of some discounts on Slowtwitch and ordered a set of Desoto Tri Bibs. And a "mystery" tri kit .

Three guesses, and the first two don't count, as to what the "mystery" color turned out to be:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm man enough to race in PINK.
2014-03-31 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Being injured sucks...not having a race plan or scheduled race sucks...training with no purpose sucks.

Hitting an all time low. Not wanting to get out and do any workouts since I have nothing planned or to train for. I know the attempt at running is only 2 weeks away but it's sure been a rough road.

2014-03-31 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

How about if the pink and black were reversed...

I say who cares, especially if you got a smokin' deal.  We are already prancing around in skin tight lycra/spandex...

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon So, the other day I took advantage of some discounts on Slowtwitch and ordered a set of Desoto Tri Bibs. And a "mystery" tri kit . Three guesses, and the first two don't count, as to what the "mystery" color turned out to be: Image and video hosting by TinyPic I'm man enough to race in PINK.

2014-03-31 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I feel your pain...

I see there is a big sale at Ryder bikes...I think they have one done near you. Last year at the same time in Ryder bikes in Sarasota,  I picked up one piece tri suit for $60...

http://ryderbikes.com/merchant/362/files/SuperSale_Apr2014_web.pdf

Originally posted by Burd Being injured sucks...not having a race plan or scheduled race sucks...training with no purpose sucks. Hitting an all time low. Not wanting to get out and do any workouts since I have nothing planned or to train for. I know the attempt at running is only 2 weeks away but it's sure been a rough road.

2014-03-31 10:17 AM

User image

New user
Seattle
Way to sign up for that race. I need to commit to one myself.

Goals for the week
1) Follow tri training schedule to a T.
2) Bring lunch to work every day
3) Foam roll daily
4) Start researching a heart rate monitor.
2014-03-31 10:21 AM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Did 75km outside on the roads this weekend. First real ride outside (second overall). The wind was awful and it was not as warm as I thought it would be. The sun was out though, so that was a plus. I can't wait for the weather to get better and I can do all my rides outdoors. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.