BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-03-31 3:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Weekend update: Took Saturday off, sometimes you just need a relaxing morning and sleeping in late. Sunday was a great 8 mile run, ramping up for another half-marathon at the end of the month. Today was a good 1500m swim, although I learned that my occasional carpal-tunnel pain in my right wrist can be aggravated by swimming, guess I need to put my wrist brace back on.

As for the question above about vanilla flavor: the phenols in wood interact with the alcohol during barrel aging to produce the vanilla flavor common in wine and other barrel aged products.

Edit: adding March totals. Lots of running, as usual.

• Swim: 2h 02m 20s - 5800 M
  • Bike: 3h 58m 16s - 58.08 Mi
  • Run: 9h 34m 10s - 56.4 Mi

Edited by MOlsen 2014-03-31 4:02 PM

2014-03-31 4:51 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by thor67

We seem to be having the pre season lull. The shine is a bit tarnished. Let's get the 25/30 Challenge going again. With race season around the corner, it has to be S/B/R!

On a side note, I finally signed up for my first race this year. Going with a sprint as I don't think my run will be anywhere near up to par for an Oly by July 13. The whole family is doing it. It is one of the reasons I love this sport!

I am thinking of another in May but that will be decided at a later date!

Has anybody else signed up for some tri's yet?

Cheers!

Yesss! Next weekend I am running a half marathon on the north coast. This weekend signed up for my first two races in 2014: sprint in June and oly in July. Just what I needed to kick my traning! Still see HIM too far.... may be in one of those pink tri-suits??
2014-03-31 5:34 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Where has this girl been...at yoga thats where! Hot yoga...oh How I have missed going and it feels so good to be back! Lasterday, (as my grandson calls any day in the past; makes sense to me) I swam 500 yards and then ran 5.3 miles...wish I had pushed to the 6. Best I have done in a long time!
So on the" We are the Olivos" side of life our septic went out and it originally looked like just a pump situation but since we are the Olivos it has become a "we are getting a whole new system" type of thing. I have been without a shower and any kind of working plumbing for over a week. So I spend a lot of time at the gym or my daughters' apartment . Oy Vey!

Did I mention my new mantra...to live an extraordinary life made of ordinary moments...here is one I told one of my student assistants she was one day save the world and she told me that was the nicest thing anyone has ever said to her! She was inspired which in turn inspired me!
2014-03-31 6:47 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Being injured sucks...not having a race plan or scheduled race sucks...training with no purpose sucks.

Hitting an all time low. Not wanting to get out and do any workouts since I have nothing planned or to train for. I know the attempt at running is only 2 weeks away but it's sure been a rough road.

Hey Nancy Boy...

Alright - it does suck! I've been there. Hell, I am there. It blows. But if I can do it - you can do it.

Seriously - I am there to support you. It will totally be worth it. You've just got to stick with it! You can do this. Think of how far you have come in the pool. If you can do that - you can do anything!
2014-04-01 4:16 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hi, All.

Been out of town on business/fun trip and haven't really kept up with the happenings.  Did mange to get several decent workouts in.  Even did a local 10.5K (finsihed in 48:40/7:43 splits)

I broke down and got some new 'stability' shoes (Pearl Izumi M2) to try and help my calf.  After almost 50 miles, I think it's working.  My massage guru noticed I wasn't as knotted up as usual.  

After my massage I went across the street to a consignment Sporting Goods store, I started digging around in a bucket of bike parts and found an Adamo saddle-looks like brand new.  So I paid the guy 40.00 and now am the owner of a new Adamo saddle. Sweeeet.

Race schedule is shaping up-if my calf is going to continue to cooperate, I may be able to get several events in this season; 3 Bike Tour, Ragnar Relay, Oly Tri, and (hopefully) my first HIM.  In addition I'll be training/racing some local 5-10Ks and trail runs.

On an unrelated note; I've tried...really tried..to get on-board with this whole beer snob thing.  I've drank IPAs, American Pale Ale, small batch, nitro charged etc, etc, etc.  Some were OK, some were NOT good, and only a few I considered 'good'.   I'm going back to my PBR.  It's good, it's cheap and it's dependable. 

2014-04-01 8:39 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by jeffnboise
On an unrelated note; I've tried...really tried..to get on-board with this whole beer snob thing.  I've drank IPAs, American Pale Ale, small batch, nitro charged etc, etc, etc.  Some were OK, some were NOT good, and only a few I considered 'good'.   I'm going back to my PBR.  It's good, it's cheap and it's dependable. 

I have the opposite problem - kinda - I like them all. Sure, I have a preference, but beer and long descents are proof of God's love.

2014-04-01 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Taste in beer is like taste in everything: you like what you like. Kudos for going out and trying other beers, you never know what you will/won't like unless you try. A couple weekends ago was "National Corndog Day" and I was at a gathering with lots of corndogs and PBR (one of the sponsors) and I must admit I drank more than a couple of them, easy drinking and good for washing down corndogs.

2014-04-01 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Hi, All.

Been out of town on business/fun trip and haven't really kept up with the happenings.  Did mange to get several decent workouts in.  Even did a local 10.5K (finsihed in 48:40/7:43 splits)

I broke down and got some new 'stability' shoes (Pearl Izumi M2) to try and help my calf.  After almost 50 miles, I think it's working.  My massage guru noticed I wasn't as knotted up as usual.  

After my massage I went across the street to a consignment Sporting Goods store, I started digging around in a bucket of bike parts and found an Adamo saddle-looks like brand new.  So I paid the guy 40.00 and now am the owner of a new Adamo saddle. Sweeeet.

Race schedule is shaping up-if my calf is going to continue to cooperate, I may be able to get several events in this season; 3 Bike Tour, Ragnar Relay, Oly Tri, and (hopefully) my first HIM.  In addition I'll be training/racing some local 5-10Ks and trail runs.

[/QUOTE

As long as beer either motivates or holds you accountible - it's all good. Take Thor for example - he drinks Molson all the time and we still put up with him
2014-04-01 11:42 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Originally posted by SportzVision

Where has this girl been...at yoga thats where! Hot yoga...oh How I have missed going and it feels so good to be back! Lasterday, (as my grandson calls any day in the past; makes sense to me) I swam 500 yards and then ran 5.3 miles...wish I had pushed to the 6. Best I have done in a long time!
So on the" We are the Olivos" side of life our septic went out and it originally looked like just a pump situation but since we are the Olivos it has become a "we are getting a whole new system" type of thing. I have been without a shower and any kind of working plumbing for over a week. So I spend a lot of time at the gym or my daughters' apartment . Oy Vey!

Did I mention my new mantra...to live an extraordinary life made of ordinary moments...here is one I told one of my student assistants she was one day save the world and she told me that was the nicest thing anyone has ever said to her! She was inspired which in turn inspired me!

So glad you are back into the swing of things! It must be nice after not being all Cynthia-like for so long. Hope you continue to progress and that they fix your septic system lickity split.
2014-04-01 11:52 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Sorry for being gone for so long. I spent the weekend with my son. We were supposed to go skiing but when we got up there - the lifts were closed because there was so much ice at the top of the mountain. We lucked out and found the world largest video game arcade. You name it - they had it. We were both in heaven.

So i had a decent week last week and was able to add about 10% to my previous week's totals. And I think that's gonna be the goal - to make the most out of my rest weeks so that I can go longer during my build weeks. As long as there is improvement - I will be satisfied. I'm still not swimming. My PT wants me to rest my right shoulder until it's completely healed.

Yesterday - I got in my long run and feel a little sore this morning. I'm pumping the alieve and icing like it's my job. I hope to get in a short bike ride this afternoon. It's supposed to hit 50. I owe it to the weather gods to get out there and enjoy it. Also need to do three sets of my PT exercises or it's a warm coors light for me.
2014-04-01 8:46 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hi all,

I kind of fell off the earth for a few weeks. Luckily my training hasn't. I'm in week 2 of my 20 week HIM plan.

My bike is improving in terms if comfort on the roads and confidence at higher speeds (I'm a 100% new cyclist), swimming is fantastic, I did a SCM 1.5 Mile Continous swim 2 weeks ago (I could barely float in January), and my running is healthy and pain free right now.

I hope everyone is doing well and training strong. I'm enjoying an AVERY BREWING Joe's Pilsner right now.

David - how's the running and cadence coming, l remember you were battling with improving your form.

2014-04-02 11:35 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

Hi all,

I kind of fell off the earth for a few weeks. Luckily my training hasn't. I'm in week 2 of my 20 week HIM plan.

My bike is improving in terms if comfort on the roads and confidence at higher speeds (I'm a 100% new cyclist), swimming is fantastic, I did a SCM 1.5 Mile Continous swim 2 weeks ago (I could barely float in January), and my running is healthy and pain free right now.

I hope everyone is doing well and training strong. I'm enjoying an AVERY BREWING Joe's Pilsner right now.

David - how's the running and cadence coming, l remember you were battling with improving your form.

Hey Brian - Welcome back. So glad to hear your training is going well for your upcoming ironman. Sounds like you are becoming quiet the fish. BUt the thing that I am most jealous of is the pain free running. Enjoy it. Things with my cadence are coming along. My form is definitely better but there is still work to be done.

Avery puts out some good beer. I am a HUGE fan of their left hand milk stout!
2014-04-02 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Humpday everyone.

I just got back from my PT after having gotten an fantastic massage. My PTA really went to work on my hip and my lats - and it hurt like a mother but I'm hoping it helps both get better so I can really hit the training for my HIM in 2 months. Yesterday - I went out for my first real ride since December. The last time I was out for that long - the windchill was -20 so the temps in the high 50's were a stellar improvement.

I'm still working on finding a teaching job but I have an interview tonight to be a beer guide - where I would drive people around to the different breweries in the area and teach them about the brewing process. I'd become a beer teacher - how cool would that be. Almost as cool as where they are going to interview me tonight - at a local brewery. I have died and gone to Heaven.
2014-04-02 11:54 AM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Happy Humpday everyone. I just got back from my PT after having gotten an fantastic massage. My PTA really went to work on my hip and my lats - and it hurt like a mother but I'm hoping it helps both get better so I can really hit the training for my HIM in 2 months. Yesterday - I went out for my first real ride since December. The last time I was out for that long - the windchill was -20 so the temps in the high 50's were a stellar improvement. I'm still working on finding a teaching job but I have an interview tonight to be a beer guide - where I would drive people around to the different breweries in the area and teach them about the brewing process. I'd become a beer teacher - how cool would that be. Almost as cool as where they are going to interview me tonight - at a local brewery. I have died and gone to Heaven.

That sounds like an awesome job. Good luck!

2014-04-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by Qua17

Happy Humpday everyone.

I just got back from my PT after having gotten an fantastic massage. My PTA really went to work on my hip and my lats - and it hurt like a mother but I'm hoping it helps both get better so I can really hit the training for my HIM in 2 months. Yesterday - I went out for my first real ride since December. The last time I was out for that long - the windchill was -20 so the temps in the high 50's were a stellar improvement.

I'm still working on finding a teaching job but I have an interview tonight to be a beer guide - where I would drive people around to the different breweries in the area and teach them about the brewing process. I'd become a beer teacher - how cool would that be. Almost as cool as where they are going to interview me tonight - at a local brewery. I have died and gone to Heaven.

What a fun job! So now history and beer come together, sounds like a great duatlon to me.... Good luck!

Edited by Juancho 2014-04-02 2:12 PM
2014-04-02 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

It is finally in the books. Went for my first lunch time run...mainly icy, snow paths...cannot wait for it to melt....hopefully in the next couple of days. I am sick of winter! Need to buckle down on the training/weight loss. Of course going out for tacos and beer last night are probably not ideal for weight loss...
Cheers!

2014-04-02 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

All the rainy weather California missed during winter is trying to make an appearance in spring. Yesterday I did a fast 3 mile run (fast for me at least, 8:30 pace) to beat an incoming rain cloud and toady I did my hilly 6 mile run and barely beat the wet stuff. My shoulder is giving me some issues so I'm going to take a break from the water and cardio-kick for a week to hopefully let it settle down.

2014-04-03 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Two months later, back in the pool. Could be better, could be worse.

2014-04-03 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Soooo, who is doing the next triathlon?? There has to be someone down south(or Spain) doing one soon??

2014-04-03 4:49 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Soooo, who is doing the next triathlon?? There has to be someone down south(or Spain) doing one soon??

Season already started here in Spain, but due to traveling issues won´t be able to do my first this year till June.... Running a HM this Sunday, but would change it for a tri! Who else is about to do his/her first race?
2014-04-03 5:32 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Hey, how about posting your top three value priced wines from Spain?? I would be interested in seeing if I could find them in Canada and trying them out. Shhh, don't tell anyone I also drink wine(even some fruit beer David).... 

Originally posted by Juancho

Season already started here in Spain, but due to traveling issues won´t be able to do my first this year till June.... Running a HM this Sunday, but would change it for a tri! Who else is about to do his/her first race?

2014-04-03 7:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I've got a sprint at the alma mater on 4-27. It's the Blaster Blast Trianlon and should fun, indoor swim though.
2014-04-03 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

5/31 local Troika sprint tri. This is the same event I did my one and only HIM tri in 2012. I'm going to start training, and go for the sprint.
2014-04-04 12:37 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Brian W

I've got a sprint at the alma mater on 4-27. It's the Blaster Blast Trianlon and should fun, indoor swim though.

One weekend ahead of me! My first triathlon of the season is going to be the Wildflower mountain bike sprint course on May 4th.  If life didn't get in the way I would have done one back on March 23rd (local college Tri).

The last two weeks leading up to Wildflower are pretty full as well: charity 10k on the 19th then half-marathon on the 27th. The 2 mile run at Wildflower should (hopefully) be a breeze after that buildup!

2014-04-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Uh-Oh....PT said to try and run Sat. She has me doing a 2/2 run/walk for only 1 mile. Then a 5/5 on my next run for another mile.

Fingers crossed....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.