BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-04-28 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Burd

Well I took the plunge and ordered my frameset. I went with a Quintana Roo Illicito. It's a lot more than I wanted to spend on a frame but it's the bike I really wanted. I will post a pic when it gets here in a few days.

Now do I run Ultegra 11spd or Force22 on it?

Have you had a bike fit yet? QRs tend to fit pretty aggressive - when I was shopping, the CD0.1 would only fit with a pretty significant amount of stack and pad spacers, with an 17 degree stem - and would have been filthy in the air. Also, the Illicito and a stationary trainer don't mix - will void the frame warranty.

With groupsets, I'm so far into the electronic shifting camp it isn't even funny - especially on tri frames. Every hill and every descent and every turn, just push the button and it shifts. Plus chain drag is a non-issue since the front derailleur tracks automatically as you go through the gears. Rear derailleur adjusts take about 30 seconds and I don't have to touch a screwdriver. Dual-position shifting is so useful, and I can dump the entire cassette up or down just by holding down the button - from 28 to 11 or 11 to 28 in 3 seconds. Oh, and simultaneous shifting of both derailleurs.

Crest the hill, jump to the big ring while holding down the button, and I've gone from 39x28 to 53x11 in less than 4 seconds, just in time to push that descent in to the 40+mph range. Hit the bottom of the hill, jump to the little ring, then tap-tap-tap as I drop gear and keep my spin back up the other side . . .39x11, 12, 14, 15, like stages of a rocket, dropping gear as I climb.

Last week, I went on a group ride on my roadie, with a mixed group - 3 roadie frames, 2 tri frames. Watching the mechanical tri bike riders, from the basebar, keep fiddling with the aerobar shifters while in road position, it's just silly.

10 v. 11 is a toss-up; replacement parts on 11 are going to be a bit pricier, and 10-speed wheels are going to be a bit cheaper, so right now I probably wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. I would run a 6800 Ultegra crank though (or Dura-ace, if you have money to burn) so you can run any Shimano crankring combination (standard, compact, or midcompact). The only downside is that it would prohibit you from running elliptical rings, but that's another discussion.

As for fit I never had something like a Retul but had measurements and flexibility looked at. They pointed me into something that is long and low (Felt, QR, and a few others). I'm 5'10" with only a 30" inseam so I'm all upper body.

Living in FL trainer use isn't a big issue but if I need to use it I would use my roadie.

I knew you would be all over the electronic shifting and I was afraid of that since I'm undecided still. I figure di2 would double my groupset cost. I guess I could hold off one more month to pay the difference and not rush it. Since I live in FL where it's pretty flat would I be safe with compact from someone else to be able to run elliptical in the present/future? Is there any science and reason behind it for an average Joe? As for 11spd I was going that route since I have Mavics and can run 11spd with them unless I find a closeout special on 10spd.

ETA: Charles can you possibly send me a list of all the parts needed for an entire groupset so I can start pricing it and looking for pieces? I could try to find a list but I want to be 110% sure I get all the parts right. Since you use it an are bike savvy I figure start here. Is it worth it to have someone install it or is it fairly easy to figure out like mechanical?

Edited by Burd 2014-04-28 2:04 PM

2014-04-28 2:36 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I wouldn't say the QR and the Felt fit anywhere near the same. A medium QR runs 497/420 stack/reach, where a 56cm Felt runs 525/425. So the QR is 2.5cm lower (about an inch). The equivalent-height Felt to the QR would be a 52cm model.

As for equipment, there's a breakdown on Slowtwitch of what you'd need: [url\http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5059017;search_string=di2;#5059017] http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5059017;search_string=d... . I haven't fiddled with the settings on my setup at all (other than rear derailleur adjustment when swapping wheels from road to trainer), but that's all touch-of-a-button stuff.

Here's another breakdown: http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/.

Also, the only difference between the 10-speed and 11-speed is the rear derailleur, which is nice to know.
2014-04-28 3:54 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Another weekend, another race! This was one of my local half-marathons and it was great. I set my HM PR of 2:01:28 while targeting a 2:05-2:10 time due to the hilly stretch in the middle. That sub 2:00 is so close yet so far away... Read the race report for all the fun details.

Today was an easy 1000m in the pool followed by a soak in the hot tub to work my legs with the jets and boy do they feel better.

This coming weekend is another race (3 in 3 weeks!) and my first Tri of the season. I'm going to be doing the mountain bike sprint course at the Wildflower triathlon festival. Due to low lake levels they modified the course a bit and the new bike route looks to be a fun challenge. Guess it's time to pull down my mountain bike and get it cleaned up!

2014-04-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I wouldn't say the QR and the Felt fit anywhere near the same. A medium QR runs 497/420 stack/reach, where a 56cm Felt runs 525/425. So the QR is 2.5cm lower (about an inch). The equivalent-height Felt to the QR would be a 52cm model.

As for equipment, there's a breakdown on Slowtwitch of what you'd need: [url\http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5059017;search_string=di2;#5059017] http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5059017;search_string=d... . I haven't fiddled with the settings on my setup at all (other than rear derailleur adjustment when swapping wheels from road to trainer), but that's all touch-of-a-button stuff.

Here's another breakdown: http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/.

Also, the only difference between the 10-speed and 11-speed is the rear derailleur, which is nice to know.

Thanks for those links.

The medium QR is a 52. QRs 56 is considered a large in the shift series. Comparing the ML (54) to a Felt B series 54...'13 QR Shift series ML - 517/438, '14 Felt B series 54 - 535/405. What's that come out to lower? Looks closer HELP! Thanks so much for helping me understand this.

Good thing this is a beer drinkers group because I really need a drink after all of this....maybe something stiffer though.

Edited by Burd 2014-04-28 4:13 PM
2014-04-28 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
I am one happy triathlete tonight! Last week, I had my best week of training in 18 months! Today, I made the decision when I walked into the gym to crush my PT and Swim workouts. So instead of 8 minutes, I did 25 minutes of PT and work so hard I broke into a heavy sweat.

Prior to hopping in the pool, I spent 5 minutes listening to some music (the battle theme to the movie Gladiator). Back in 2012, after making so much improvement, I discovered that piece of music and would listen to it before heading into the gym. It would get me so fired up that I was able to make huge advances in my training. Last year - as I struggled through injury, I would hear that song on all my mises and feel like I didn't deserve to listen to it. But after the strides I made last week - I finally felt worthy. So, as I listened to it in the locker room of the gym - it got me fired up again.

That was key - because when I jumped in the pool - my shoulder was sore. But I found that if I just channeled the power of the music - I could push through it. Eventually, the pain receded and I was able to complete the longest workout I've done since January. And I crushed it! My times were almost Alex-like. I had a couple of sub 2:00 minute 100's. It felt great and I think that I am 99% convinced that I will be able to finish IMMT.

I am stoked. It's been a difficult 17 months but I have turned the corner. And I am so grateful to all of you (and to the Coors Light on the fridge) for getting me through what has been an incredibly challenging time. While I know that there will be some major pot holes in the road ahead (seems apt considering the winter we have had), I know I will be able to work through them.

Many thanks!
2014-04-28 5:45 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Qua17

I am one happy triathlete tonight! Last week, I had my best week of training in 18 months! 

Good to hear, sounds like a celebratory beer is in order!

2014-04-28 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

The medium QR is a 52. QRs 56 is considered a large in the shift series. Comparing the ML (54) to a Felt B series 54...'13 QR Shift series ML - 517/438, '14 Felt B series 54 - 535/405. What's that come out to lower? Looks closer HELP! Thanks so much for helping me understand this.

Good thing this is a beer drinkers group because I really need a drink after all of this....maybe something stiffer though.

Slowtwitch's database is helpful: http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/

Size - Stack - Reach

QR:
S 497 396
M 497 420
ML 517 438
L 545 452

Felt B-series:
47 468 375
51 521 388
54 536 405
56 556 420
58 576 435
61 606 443

As a general rule, a Felt is going to be at least a 20mm taller than a QR. The reach figures are also a bit peculiar. You can adjust the reach with a longer stem, but that's going to shift your weight forward, which throws balance off.

For me personally, my 58cm Felt runs no pad spacers in the aerobars, and 1cm of stack spacer on the head tube. It's not a very aggressive position, and I could drop it another 1 cm by moving my head tube spacers around.

To get a QR to match that setup, I would run a large frame, with a shorter stem, and add 3cm of stack spacers, or go with a higher incline stem. Fit is always relative, and we're not talking about a huge difference here - either bike can be made to work with me, or you, or anybody, with a competent fitter. But they aren't in the same fit category. Looking at, say, a Specialized Shiv and a Felt, those are pretty close.

Reading Dan Empfield's dissertations on fit on Slowtwitch makes my eyes glaze over, and my understanding is rudimentary at best. I learned enough to determine that fit was (a) very important, and should drive my purchase, and (b) to go to a professional.

FWIW, the Illicito is a gorgeous frame and I lusted over one for a while, and what fits for me and what fits for you are going to be different. Any good fitter should be able to make it work.
2014-04-28 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Charles...one word...whew Thanks for the info. Good to know I can get almost any frame to work. My fitter was trained at one of the Dan Empfield camps. F.I.ST. or something right? She has been at this for many many years with all the techie toys to assist in her fits. She offers 3 levels of fit services and I will be going to her most through for sure. Doesn't hurt she is our coach.
2014-04-28 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I am one happy triathlete tonight! Last week, I had my best week of training in 18 months! Today, I made the decision when I walked into the gym to crush my PT and Swim workouts. So instead of 8 minutes, I did 25 minutes of PT and work so hard I broke into a heavy sweat.

Prior to hopping in the pool, I spent 5 minutes listening to some music (the battle theme to the movie Gladiator). Back in 2012, after making so much improvement, I discovered that piece of music and would listen to it before heading into the gym. It would get me so fired up that I was able to make huge advances in my training. Last year - as I struggled through injury, I would hear that song on all my mises and feel like I didn't deserve to listen to it. But after the strides I made last week - I finally felt worthy. So, as I listened to it in the locker room of the gym - it got me fired up again.

That was key - because when I jumped in the pool - my shoulder was sore. But I found that if I just channeled the power of the music - I could push through it. Eventually, the pain receded and I was able to complete the longest workout I've done since January. And I crushed it! My times were almost Alex-like. I had a couple of sub 2:00 minute 100's. It felt great and I think that I am 99% convinced that I will be able to finish IMMT.

I am stoked. It's been a difficult 17 months but I have turned the corner. And I am so grateful to all of you (and to the Coors Light on the fridge) for getting me through what has been an incredibly challenging time. While I know that there will be some major pot holes in the road ahead (seems apt considering the winter we have had), I know I will be able to work through them.

Many thanks!

Great news David! So glad to hear things are looking up and moving forward.
2014-04-29 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well the good news....got up and went for a swim with my wife. Did 3-200 freestyle/50 breast and then finished off with 350 meters straight of freestyle. Actually felt pretty good for the first time in awhile. Back still bothering me so no run/bike at lunch. Hoping back to be better tomorrow.

Planning on another swim tomorrow morning.

Had a good day on the calories.

Have a great day everyone.

2014-04-29 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Alex - I just want to say again how crucial that rise and shine video was. Ive easily listened to it 1000 times. Infact, I just said it 2x during my long run. It motivates me like nothing else (except for beer and coors light of course!).

Prost!

2014-04-29 11:12 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Well the good news....got up and went for a swim with my wife. Did 3-200 freestyle/50 breast and then finished off with 350 meters straight of freestyle. Actually felt pretty good for the first time in awhile. Back still bothering me so no run/bike at lunch. Hoping back to be better tomorrow.

What? No more rowing

Glad to hear your back in the pool and burning calories like a machine. How much weight are you looking to lose? I need to drop 30 more pounds and am looking for motivation. Wanna have a bet where the loser has to drink a 40 of Coors Light or something stupid like that?
2014-04-29 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

If I had the time, rowing would be on the schedule!

Based on the fit of my pants, about 30lbs!!

Of course I am shooting for July 13(not going to happen) but either way that is where I want to be!

Let's do it!

I will weigh myself tomorrow and check in! How long do you want to go for? July 31? August 15? pick a day and we can make it work.

Do you think weekly weigh ins to keep us accountable??

What? No more rowing Glad to hear your back in the pool and burning calories like a machine. How much weight are you looking to lose? I need to drop 30 more pounds and am looking for motivation. Wanna have a bet where the loser has to drink a 40 of Coors Light or something stupid like that?

2014-04-29 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Since we are on the topic about weight I'll chime in on my issue. I think I found my ideal weight even though it's a bit more than I would like. I got down to 167 but felt weak and my training was suffering. That could have just been the fact I was so restricted on my food intake, not sure. Right now I float between 174-177 and haven't had any performance issues. I have been running around a 500 calorie deficit daily for a very long time. I just don't drop back down. Is it possible for a body to get used to a low calorie diet and just adjust? Does this just mean I'm not supposed to be lighter anymore and just be happy at 175? Would increasing my food for say a month then dropping it by 500 jumpstart the loss again? I would really like to get back to 165ish. So many questions.
2014-04-29 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd Since we are on the topic about weight I'll chime in on my issue. I think I found my ideal weight even though it's a bit more than I would like. I got down to 167 but felt weak and my training was suffering. That could have just been the fact I was so restricted on my food intake, not sure. Right now I float between 174-177 and haven't had any performance issues. I have been running around a 500 calorie deficit daily for a very long time. I just don't drop back down. Is it possible for a body to get used to a low calorie diet and just adjust? Does this just mean I'm not supposed to be lighter anymore and just be happy at 175? Would increasing my food for say a month then dropping it by 500 jumpstart the loss again? I would really like to get back to 165ish. So many questions.

It could be that you just aren't burning as many calories as you think. I find most of the time the estimated amount of calories burned during exercise is always higher then it should be....you could be eating the right amount to stay at that weight. Whether the weight is perfect for you...that is something you, your wife and maybe your doctor will know...

2014-04-29 4:38 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Glad to hear you are back to healthy, happy traithlete, congrats!

Regarding music, I use the free App Rock my Run, great compilation of fantastic music to keep up your pace. Also Spotify has free lists (I use "Running high tempo", fantastic!). i would suggest Walk with this way (Aerosmith), Song 2 (Blur), Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana), Urgent and Night Life (Foreigner), Lump (The Presidents of the USA), Don´t stop me now (Queen)..... what would we do without music!!

2014-04-29 4:43 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Goals:3 swims/3 bikes/3 runs

My plan is to get 3 swims in during the week in the morning. I will run 3 times a week at lunch and bike twice. Long bike on the weekends.

I have 11 weeks until my "A" race(my only race at this point...)

Finally, no more beer. May is a dry month. If I can drop at least 10-15lbs and stick to my goals, I may add some reward beers.

Help me ladies and gentlemen!

Thanks!

I will follow your wish, Thor: tomorrow I start my 12 week plan for my first Oly, so will stick to my plan and make May a dry month as well - good to now I am not the only one here!
2014-04-29 5:30 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Glad to hear you are back to healthy, happy traithlete, congrats!

Regarding music, I use the free App Rock my Run, great compilation of fantastic music to keep up your pace. Also Spotify has free lists (I use "Running high tempo", fantastic!). i would suggest Walk with this way (Aerosmith), Song 2 (Blur), Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana), Urgent and Night Life (Foreigner), Lump (The Presidents of the USA), Don´t stop me now (Queen)..... what would we do without music!!

Great suggestions. I decided on Don't Stop Me Now and also bought Bicycle Race. God, I love Queen!
2014-04-29 5:34 PM

User image

Expert

Of course I am shooting for July 13(not going to happen) but either way that is where I want to be!

Let's do it!

I will weigh myself tomorrow and check in! How long do you want to go for? July 31? August 15? pick a day and we can make it work.

What? No more rowing Glad to hear your back in the pool and burning calories like a machine. How much weight are you looking to lose? I need to drop 30 more pounds and am looking for motivation. Wanna have a bet where the loser has to drink a 40 of Coors Light or something stupid like that?

I think it would help if we had little mini bets base 2 week chunks (all right - it would help me. Two weeks is a lot more real and pressing than a month. If you agree - I've got a good challenge.

If I don't lose 4 pounds in that two week period, I will watch a stanley cup game in its entirely. If you don't reach your goal, you'll have to watch an entire NASCAR race. They have that up there in the great white north don't they?

Thoughts?
2014-04-29 5:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Great suggestions. I decided on Don't Stop Me Now and also bought Bicycle Race. God, I love Queen!

I know it sounds silly but when the snow melts off the roads and we get our first sunny days, Bicycle Race is on constant rotation until that day comes when its finally clear and warm enough to get outside on the road. It also gets me pumped for the season. 

2014-04-29 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Since we are on the topic about weight I'll chime in on my issue. I think I found my ideal weight even though it's a bit more than I would like. I got down to 167 but felt weak and my training was suffering. That could have just been the fact I was so restricted on my food intake, not sure. Right now I float between 174-177 and haven't had any performance issues. I have been running around a 500 calorie deficit daily for a very long time. I just don't drop back down. Is it possible for a body to get used to a low calorie diet and just adjust? Does this just mean I'm not supposed to be lighter anymore and just be happy at 175? Would increasing my food for say a month then dropping it by 500 jumpstart the loss again? I would really like to get back to 165ish. So many questions.

There's your problem. No fuel for the fire. Hitting ideal weight means transitioning to maintenance calories.

For me personally, I plan to burn hard until I hit 170, then add 100 calories per pound lost until I hit 165, so at 165, my deficit should be negligible. Regardless, once July 1 rolls around, I'm eating at maintenance calories - July 1 will be race weight.

2014-04-29 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Let's do it!

I think it would help if we had little mini bets base 2 week chunks (all right - it would help me. Two weeks is a lot more real and pressing than a month. If you agree - I've got a good challenge.

If I don't lose 4 pounds in that two week period, I will watch a stanley cup game in its entirely. If you don't reach your goal, you'll have to watch an entire NASCAR race. They have that up there in the great white north don't they?

Thoughts?

I'll call, and raise a baseball - 5 pounds in May for me. If I lose, I'll watch an entire NASCAR race AND a Cub's game. On the trainer.

Proposed rules: Official weigh-in is May 1 - pics or it didn't happen. Weight in weekly - I prefer Friday or Saturday morning, since my week is screwy due to sodium intake from long runs and rides. Again, pics or it didn't happen.

What say you?
2014-04-30 12:42 AM

User image

Expert

Let's do it!

Thoughts?

I'll call, and raise a baseball - 5 pounds in May for me. If I lose, I'll watch an entire NASCAR race AND a Cub's game. On the trainer.

Proposed rules: Official weigh-in is May 1 - pics or it didn't happen. Weight in weekly - I prefer Friday or Saturday morning, since my week is screwy due to sodium intake from long runs and rides. Again, pics or it didn't happen.

What say you?

It's on... Fine - if the idea of watching Nascar and a Cubs game motivates you - I'm all for it. But I will reraise you. The person who doesn't hit their weight loss goals for May buys dinner when you journey here for Quassy. Saturday morning works for me. Pics of the scale is fine as well.
2014-04-30 12:51 AM

User image

Expert
I just got back from Beer Night. Tonight's theme - Sours and Fruit Beers. Here's the list of what we sampled ranked from Best to Worst:

Nightshift - The Grove A+
Cascade - Apricot Ale A
Goose Island - Lolita A
Rueuze - The Brewery A- (although I gave this beer a C brewing according to style
Nightshift - Jojo B
Unita - Birthday Suit B-

Anyone tried any of these beers? If you have - you will know, tonight was a good night!
2014-04-30 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Let's do it!

I think it would help if we had little mini bets base 2 week chunks (all right - it would help me. Two weeks is a lot more real and pressing than a month. If you agree - I've got a good challenge. If I don't lose 4 pounds in that two week period, I will watch a stanley cup game in its entirely. If you don't reach your goal, you'll have to watch an entire NASCAR race. They have that up there in the great white north don't they? Thoughts?
I'll call, and raise a baseball - 5 pounds in May for me. If I lose, I'll watch an entire NASCAR race AND a Cub's game. On the trainer. Proposed rules: Official weigh-in is May 1 - pics or it didn't happen. Weight in weekly - I prefer Friday or Saturday morning, since my week is screwy due to sodium intake from long runs and rides. Again, pics or it didn't happen. What say you?
It's on... Fine - if the idea of watching Nascar and a Cubs game motivates you - I'm all for it. But I will reraise you. The person who doesn't hit their weight loss goals for May buys dinner when you journey here for Quassy. Saturday morning works for me. Pics of the scale is fine as well.

How long is a nascar race? Nascar here consists of driving the secondary roads with all the rednecks texting while driving...Kinda like Texas but colder...(Sorry Bobby!)

I am in either way, but I will re re raise everyone. You have to drink a warm coors for every period of hockey David. Charles, a warm 40 of Coors after the cycle trainer...(I think I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking of that...)

I am okay with Friday or Saturday weigh ins after two weeks as I know we all have busy lives to deal with.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.