BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-02-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: kathleenkp

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed
Well another week begins. Last night my running buddy and I were jogging the mile to the track for our Monday Track workout. Just chatting away and catching up on our weeks, when I caught a toe on an uneven spot. Next thing I knew I was on the ground, in a bush, on my back. And my friend was laughing. Other than a scraped knee and ankle, I was fine and "enjoyed" my best track workout in months! 800s. The last set of 3 was at the fastest pace you could consistently hold with 300m jog between. And I hit them at 3:26, 3:24, 3:27! I don't know the last time I've held a sub 7 pace (even if barely sub 7) and not felt like death, especially at the end of a workout!! So excited!!

May all of your workouts be fall free this week!

2014-02-18 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4950879

Funny on your run/fall. Those times are amazing! Blazing fast! I'd have been thrilled to have those with another minute added on.

It's always scary to me when I hear things like "fastest time you can hold". I think ????? How do I know what I can do and hold??? But I can do it in the pool. That's what I like about learning triathlon - I take the things I know about one sport I do well, and apply them to the other two. Namely the lessons are Patience and Putting in the Time. I know what I can do in the pool b/c I've done it for so long. It didn't come overnight, either. It helps me keep the running in perspective. (I'm a new runner, started Jan '12, and never thought I could run - so I know it will take time.)
2014-02-18 3:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by kathleenkp Funny on your run/fall. Those times are amazing! Blazing fast! I'd have been thrilled to have those with another minute added on. It's always scary to me when I hear things like "fastest time you can hold". I think ????? How do I know what I can do and hold??? But I can do it in the pool. That's what I like about learning triathlon - I take the things I know about one sport I do well, and apply them to the other two. Namely the lessons are Patience and Putting in the Time. I know what I can do in the pool b/c I've done it for so long. It didn't come overnight, either. It helps me keep the running in perspective. (I'm a new runner, started Jan '12, and never thought I could run - so I know it will take time.)

Falling is a scary thing.  Glad everything is still in one piece.

Learning what your BSE or best sustained effort is takes a little bit of time.  For instance the 4 x 1 mile run test takes a few times through to figure out how to keep your efforts even, but at the same time be spent by the end of the 4th interval.  At some point you get good enough to find the edge of puking and hold it there.  LOL.

Edited by uhcoog 2014-02-18 3:26 PM
2014-02-18 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by kathleenkp Funny on your run/fall. Those times are amazing! Blazing fast! I'd have been thrilled to have those with another minute added on. It's always scary to me when I hear things like "fastest time you can hold". I think ????? How do I know what I can do and hold??? But I can do it in the pool. That's what I like about learning triathlon - I take the things I know about one sport I do well, and apply them to the other two. Namely the lessons are Patience and Putting in the Time. I know what I can do in the pool b/c I've done it for so long. It didn't come overnight, either. It helps me keep the running in perspective. (I'm a new runner, started Jan '12, and never thought I could run - so I know it will take time.)

Falling is a scary thing.  Glad everything is still in one piece.

Learning what your BSE or best sustained effort is takes a little bit of time.  For instance the 4 x 1 mile run test takes a few times through to figure out how to keep your efforts even, but at the same time be spent by the end of the 4th interval.  At some point you get good enough to find the edge of puking and hold it there.  LOL.

So true!! Ha.

Edited by MechEChick 2014-02-18 3:47 PM
2014-02-18 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4916036

Hmm. I haven't found the edge of puking for anything. I know a few people who say that about their pool workouts, but I've never had anything close to that - even yesterday with my "race workout". I have a pretty strong stomach. But I've seen you say the same, Scott.

Is the edge of puking (or actually doing it!) a reflection on effort? Does anyone (everyone), if working hard enough, get to that point? I feel like my body will just stop me from going any further before my stomach ever comes into play.

(I have had a few times where I ate something like a large volume of smoothie before running and decided not to do that again. But it was a reflection on what was IN my stomach vs my physical output.
2014-02-18 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4951725

That sounds like a good idea on running the 4x1's. It makes sense from my swimming experience - I know what I can do for various distances b/c I do them all the time. I haven't really done that in running - I usually just run a distance.

2014-02-18 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Christina - nice job on the run and with the consistent times. Glad to hear no lasting injuries.

That puke threshold is something you get a feel for after a while. It is a combination of endurance and effort. A 5k is a red line all out effort for a short period of time but it is still a measure of endurance. A 4X1 mile run test is often used to determine heart rate zones for those that train by HR because you are going all out. With increased endurance, one's times will be generally pretty consistent. No need to do 4x1 mile all out efforts that much in your training program especially without a pretty good run base.

45 min Z2 run with 1:10 intervals on the bike followed by 3 hours of helping the girls to dig tunnels in the massive pile of snow at the end of our driveway left by the plow. We are getting hammered again with snow. There is a massive hill with a steep grade (makes for fun hill repeats) to get to my house and when I went out to the store and crested the hill and started down the hill to the main road, I tapped the breaks and my car just went sliding. Sheer ice underneath the fluff. I steered the car into a snow bank, stepped out to shovel it out (yes I keep a shovel in my car for such a purpose), took one step, and my feet flew up in the air as I flew backwards. My hands braced my fall but my left wrist is severely sprained. Am going snowboarding tomorrow...just hope I don't bite it again. Going to wear my Garmin. Will try to post data.
2014-02-18 9:59 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

New user
Robbinsville

Originally posted by crissy_jo

Their formulations are horrible.  For instance lets take Endurolytes.  The average athlete loses approximately 1200 mg of sodium/hour during an iron distance race.  Endurolytes have 40 mg of sodium per pill.  That's a ton of pills if you even want to come close replacing a decent amount.  To the contrary if you look at Salt Stick Caps it has 215 mg of sodium.  If you look at HEED which is Hammer's sports drink it has a single source for their carb content.  The VAST majority of studies show having two or three different types of sugars in your product increases the rate at which you can absorb carbs. 

Now while Hammer doesn't do science well they do have a great marketing initiative.  The deals they cut race directors and teams to use their products are the best in the business.  It is why you will see a ton of local race directors using Hammer.  

I just see fueling for most endurance sports as a science/math problem and Hammer makes it hard to make it all work:

Minimum of 300 cals per hour

60-90g of carbs per hour

1200ish mg of sodium per hour.  

Oh, I like this information.  BTW, I meant electrolytes, and typed endurolytes by mistake. Now I'm glad I did type that by mistake as we have a good discussion going on.   I don't have endurolytes, but I do have a container of Heed that I like to drink for it's mild flavor, but never thought about what was in it.  I don't know that I had ever heard (nor asked, nor looked for info) about which product would be the best to take.

I grabbed the container to see what exactly is in it.  One scoop has 27g carbs, in the form of Maltodextrin, and 2g are sugar. By reading ingredients, no protein and 40g sodium.  Also has calcuim chelate, potassium chelate, L-Tyrosine, B6, Manganese chelate, Chromium polynicatinate.

So, I saw we also have a small container of Cytomax. By contrast one scoop has 22g carbs with 12g of that being sugar.  The carb sources for it are maltodextrain, fructose, dextrose and alpha-L-Polylactate.  It also has an amino acid peptide blend which appears to be leucine, glutamine, alanine.  Also has Vit C, Calcium, magnesium, chromium, sodium (120mg) and potassium (60mg).

So, what drink would you recommend for endurance sports?  These are the 2 I happen to have around so it's what I will be drinking, but once they are gone I am certainly open to suggestions for better beverages.

So I like Skratch Labs because the taste is subtle and pleasing and the ingredients are quality.  That said to mix a race bottle (200-250 cals) takes 3 scoops which is 6 servings.  So while it's a high quality, natural product it is pricey to use on a regular basis.  When I train I mix it much weaker to half potency. 

If you're doing a WTC branded event there is going to be Perform on course.  I am a HUGE proponent of living off the course.  I'm also a fan of using the products you plan to use on race day through the course of training leading into that event.  While most IM branded products are branded due to $$ Perform is actually quality stuff.  Good amounts of electrolytes and good quality carbs.

I've also used EFS from First Endurance has all the same goodness as Perform.  In my opinion it's about taste preference at that point.  I add zero cal lemonade to both EFS and perform to make them taste better.

I know a lot of athletes ask me about water and when to take in sports drink.  I say drink something with cals any time you are going to drink during training.  If you want to mix it weak (the beauty of buying powders) do so, but you have to train your gut to be able to process nutrition at all intensity levels.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the lay off. Work has been crazy lately only to be outdone by our weather. I wanted to weigh in on the Scratch products. On Scott's advice I grabbed a bag of Scratch's electrolyte replacement powder, and both of Scratch's cookbooks. It really is amazing stuff. The preface of the Feedzone Cookbook they put out has an explanation of how your body digests energy of all types. How it differs with output and heart rate. And they were able to make me understand how and with what I should be fueling my workouts. These guys really are putting out a quality product, I love their drink powder. I originally thought that their products were expensive as well. I was wrong. One scoop really is 16 ounces or two servings. 40 servings per $20 bag. That is $1 per serving. Being the newbie I am, I was pounding Gatorade like I owned stock in the company at $1.50/ 16 ounces. So Scratch is actually cheaper than buying Gatorade at the local convenience store. I am sold! Thanks for the advice!
2014-02-19 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by kathleenkp

Is the edge of puking (or actually doing it!) a reflection on effort? Does anyone (everyone), if working hard enough, get to that point? I feel like my body will just stop me from going any further before my stomach ever comes into play.

For me it's an effort thing. I always feel like puking at the end of a 5k, which doesn't have to do with what I ate. It goes away after a minute or two and I have never actually puked. Plus it doesn't happen until the moment I stop/finish the race.

I'm going to have to check out Skratch now!!
2014-02-19 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey, all -

Reading through all the sports-drink posts with great interest, as I had a terrible calf-cramp yesterday during my long run. Last week I had a minor cramp (toes/calf) while swimming and then this week the calf while running. I'm a little bummed...was supposed to be a 20-miler but I bailed at 13 and walked home. I do have 16 and 18 milers under my belt and I still have time to hit one more long run (20 miler) before the marathon. But this time I will make sure I am well hydrated and pre-electrolyted. (I think I was a bit dehydrated, as I hate having to find rest-stops on my run...)

Anyway, I had a banana at breakfast yesterday, had gatorade in the camelbak, and had gu for nutrition. Other than switching to a better sports-drink, any other hints for me? (It hasn't been warm...but I train with S-caps in the summer...do I need to add these to my winter training?)

Also, in other news - OMG I signed up for IMLouisville this morning!!!

Edited by enders_shadow 2014-02-19 11:37 AM
2014-02-19 5:28 PM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Originally posted by MechEChick
Originally posted by kathleenkp Is the edge of puking (or actually doing it!) a reflection on effort? Does anyone (everyone), if working hard enough, get to that point? I feel like my body will just stop me from going any further before my stomach ever comes into play.
For me it's an effort thing. I always feel like puking at the end of a 5k, which doesn't have to do with what I ate. It goes away after a minute or two and I have never actually puked. Plus it doesn't happen until the moment I stop/finish the race. I'm going to have to check out Skratch now!!

If I ever were to feel like I was going to puke, I think I would stop.  Seriously.  The only time I recall feeling like this was when I got too hot during a half marathon 2 years ago.  I nearly quit, but plodded through.  That was a rough race.  I don't think I'm comfortable pushing myself hard enough to get that feeling. Blech.  Wish I were strong enough to do it, but I am weak. :-)

On other topics, Kristen, way to go on signing up!  Was this kind of on a whim, or was this planned?

2014-02-19 6:32 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by enders_shadow

Also, in other news - OMG I signed up for IMLouisville this morning!!!

Weeeeee!! Congrats!

I wish I had a suggestion for you with the cramping. Sorry to hear that, bummer. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.
2014-02-19 6:43 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

On other topics, Kristen, way to go on signing up!  Was this kind of on a whim, or was this planned?

Oh, no - totally planned...I'd just been holding onto my $$ a little longer, since Louisville doesn't sell out immediately like some of the others. Even though it's not sold out, I needed to make it real - doesn't get a whole lot more real than dropping a bunch of money on the entry.
2014-02-19 6:47 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Originally posted by MechEChick
Originally posted by kathleenkp Is the edge of puking (or actually doing it!) a reflection on effort? Does anyone (everyone), if working hard enough, get to that point? I feel like my body will just stop me from going any further before my stomach ever comes into play.
For me it's an effort thing. I always feel like puking at the end of a 5k, which doesn't have to do with what I ate. It goes away after a minute or two and I have never actually puked. Plus it doesn't happen until the moment I stop/finish the race. I'm going to have to check out Skratch now!!

If I ever were to feel like I was going to puke, I think I would stop.  Seriously.  The only time I recall feeling like this was when I got too hot during a half marathon 2 years ago.  I nearly quit, but plodded through.  That was a rough race.  I don't think I'm comfortable pushing myself hard enough to get that feeling. Blech.  Wish I were strong enough to do it, but I am weak. :-)

Just to clarify here, this feeling has never happened to me during a workout or race. It's always right after I stop at the end of a run the distance being 5k and under, i.e. as soon as I cross the finish line and stop. Less than a minute later, it is gone, completely. A quick search of the internets (because everything on the internet is completely and totally true and reliable) says this may have something to do with being in the anaerobic zone and lactic acid build up. Also, one way to prevent that feeling is to slowly jog rather than coming to a complete stop. I'll look to see if I can find a legitimate source this evening to back this up.

Anyway, I think if I felt like actually puking while running, I would stop.
2014-02-19 6:49 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by enders_shadow

Even though it's not sold out, I needed to make it real - doesn't get a whole lot more real than dropping a bunch of money on the entry.

2014-02-19 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4916036

I could see that happening to me (the puking right after stopping suddenly).

• I wish I could quote on this ipad, but don't have the option - so...yay on the IM Lousiville sign up! I'm about ready to commit to my 70.3 and an Oly this summer, too. Got the "I don't want to lose this $" jitters going on.

2014-02-19 9:24 PM
    in reply to: #4952511

Well, look at that? I put the dots in there to indicate I changed subjects/respond to different people and it posted it in two separate spaces. ???
    2014-02-20 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran

I could see that happening to me (the puking right after stopping suddenly).

• I wish I could quote on this ipad, but don't have the option - so...yay on the IM Lousiville sign up! I'm about ready to commit to my 70.3 and an Oly this summer, too. Got the "I don't want to lose this $" jitters going on.

There was a thread once on bad race pictures. There was one, totally hysterical, picture of a guy who projectile vomited right after he crossed the finish line. That is how it's done.
    2014-02-20 2:08 PM

User image

New user
    Manassas, Virginia

I've puked more times during swim practice than I can count. It was usually a matter of effort as I would push myself past the point where I wanted to stop. It helped (in a twisted way) that my swim coach would buy us a meal if we puked during practice.
    2014-02-22 1:43 AM
    in reply to: #4952512

Cleat placement question: If your toes go numb, do you need to move it towards the front or the back?
    2014-02-22 1:41 PM

User image

, Florida
    Kudos to Chrissy & Scott - your times are impressive!!!

I've been struggling with outer knee pain now for the past 3 months....not sure if it's the IT band since it's lower and the point of contact/pain is directly on a bone. I asked my coach about it 3 weeks ago and she's been trying to help with some massage, laser therapy (which I've never had before and would love your feedback) and stretching. After seeing her the pain disappears, but after a run or bike (since I always unclip the leg with the knee pain) it flares right back up. Last weekend, I did a 50 mi bike on Sat followed by a 10 mi run on Sun. It was one of the most painful runs I've ever had. My coach said NO running for a week......and I'm listening for sure but pouting - haha. I did swim Wed and did pool jogging for 20 min. I'm really starting to appreciate the value of stretching! I have to be honest, I'm not a big stretcher, but when I thought about it, I really don't know how to stretch. I've been doing some research and would appreciate any resources (websites, books, etc) that you guys have. My hubby is a big fan of trigger release therapy (as is my coach) and I'm getting more into that. Of course I already told you how much I love that roller!!! Pain, but good.

I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to Kathleen's question about toes going numb and clips.

Cheers, Brenda

2014-02-23 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran

Cleat placement question: If your toes go numb, do you need to move it towards the front or the back?

Have you been properly fitted on your bike? If so, how long have your toes been going numb? Is it every ride, both feet? Are you wearing socks? Reason I ask is that it could have nothing to do with cleat position? If you had your bike fit, I would encourage you to ask your bike fitter, since he/she would know your dimensions/proportions and could recommend something. What kind of pedals/shoes do you use...they may have a lot to do with it too? I had a pair of shoes that were a bit too snug and my toes would go numb. I tried another pair...problem solved.
    2014-02-23 8:51 AM
    in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

New user
    Manassas, Virginia
    So it finally happened, I had my first bike crash yesterday. It was the warmest day of the year by far and the trails were, of course, packed. There are still some snowy areas here and there and the majority of people weren't sure how to handle them. I was more than eager to get outside and crank out some miles after being cooped up inside on the trainer for over two months. Perhaps I was a little overeager and that karma caught up with me.

I was maybe five miles from home when a biker heading the opposite direction (who must have been daydreaming) swerved around some walkers and directly into my path. I had seen him from a ways out and had already started braking in anticipation of him passing them. Since he swerved at the last minute he sort of overdid it. I knew it was no use slamming on the brakes so I ran off the trail right into a muddy mess of snow, eventually toppling over into the mush.

Fortunately I came out of the one-man crash relatively unscathed. My worst injury was a bruised ego and some mud on my bike shorts and right brake handle. The other biker did stop and make sure I was okay. I'm not sure if I was more pissed or embarrassed but I sarcastically said I was fine, which I felt bad about later.

Lessons learned: don't be so aggressive when the trail is that crowded and never trust other bikers on the trail, they are trying to kill you!
    2014-02-23 9:41 AM
    in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska

Originally posted by Dunn Right So it finally happened, I had my first bike crash yesterday. It was the warmest day of the year by far and the trails were, of course, packed. There are still some snowy areas here and there and the majority of people weren't sure how to handle them. I was more than eager to get outside and crank out some miles after being cooped up inside on the trainer for over two months. Perhaps I was a little overeager and that karma caught up with me. I was maybe five miles from home when a biker heading the opposite direction (who must have been daydreaming) swerved around some walkers and directly into my path. I had seen him from a ways out and had already started braking in anticipation of him passing them. Since he swerved at the last minute he sort of overdid it. I knew it was no use slamming on the brakes so I ran off the trail right into a muddy mess of snow, eventually toppling over into the mush. Fortunately I came out of the one-man crash relatively unscathed. My worst injury was a bruised ego and some mud on my bike shorts and right brake handle. The other biker did stop and make sure I was okay. I'm not sure if I was more pissed or embarrassed but I sarcastically said I was fine, which I felt bad about later. Lessons learned: don't be so aggressive when the trail is that crowded and never trust other bikers on the trail, they are trying to kill you!

I'm sorry to hear about your fall, but glad it was in soft snow - even if it was a little wet and muddy.  It's aggravating when others don't pay attention. He was probably texting and biking. :-)  Perhaps taking a selfie?  I joke.  Trails are nearly impossible for any good work out around here by bike, and sounds like it is the same where you live. They are always so crowded.  We do have trails that lead outside of town for about 40 miles; however, they are crushed limestone, so I only ride my mtb or cx bike on them.  Not tri bike friendly.  There are sections with single track trails branching off from it, so on days I ride the mtb, I am also sure to hit some single track.

Today is adventure race day. Woot! Woot!  1st AR of the season.  There is a 4 hour cut off, but based on the information from the race director we should be done well before that time.  He said about 6 miles running, and maybe 15 miles gravel roads, and perhaps a section of single track.  Unless we can't find some check points my partner and I should finish in time, also depends on how hard that North wind blows. Dang prairie wind with nothing to stop it.  I'll update you all later today. First year racing this race w/o snow covering the ground!  I haven't road off the trainer for 4 months now.  Hope I remember how to balance!

2014-02-24 1:39 AM
    in reply to: #4953686

On the shoes/cleats - It's during cycle class. The bike is kind of fit to me - I know where to move it each time I get to class. But, no, it's not professionally fitted. Shoes are loose enough (sized up a bit), Shimano shoes from my local tri shop. Doesn't matter with/without socks. Stadard Mountain Bike pedals/cleats. I have another pair of shoes that don't fit me as well, and it also happens with those, but worse. They are bigger shoes, so my foot sits in them differently.

I had been hoping for a reply before my last class so that I could adjust it in time for the class. But I asked my instructor, who is also a physical therapist, after class. She told me I need to move the cleat back just a bit and that I need to flatten out my feet when I stand for "hills". It happens most when I stand, but also when I am sitting and I have the tension up higher. I'm putting pressure on a nerve running down my foot. That's what I figured was happening, but I didn't know which way to move the cleat to get off the nerve. Anyway, I was thinking maybe the numbness would transfer over to my road bike and it sounds like it will.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
    Views: 24222 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 98756 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16021 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 29414 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
    date : June 1, 2011
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 1
    Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 1
    Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
    date : November 15, 2010
    author : marmadaddy
    Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
    author : Team BT
    The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.