BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-02-24 1:41 AM
in reply to: #4954447

Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed
Dunn Right - Reading "bike crash" made my heart speed up. Glad you are OK.

2014-02-24 1:51 AM
in reply to: #4954448

Running schedule question: Would there be any drawback to doing my "long run" the day after another run (that is nearly as long, but not labeled as such? Ha, ha. That's what I figured out on closer inspection of the schedule, anyway.)

I'm looking at the intermediate program of Be Iron Fit, and I need to adjust the scheduling to fit my life. It has four runs a week (although one is only a 15 min run after bike). The adjustment puts two hour(+) runs on consecutive days. Bad idea?

The running portion would look like this:

Monday - 30-60 min run (mostly one hour)
Tuesday - 15 min run after bike
Thursday - 1-1.5 hour run (mostly one hour)
Friday - 1-1.5 hour run (mostly 1.5 hours) --> this run HAS to be in the morning. So I can't do a Thursday AM and a Friday PM run.
2014-02-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: kathleenkp

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by kathleenkp

Running schedule question: Would there be any drawback to doing my "long run" the day after another run (that is nearly as long, but not labeled as such? Ha, ha. That's what I figured out on closer inspection of the schedule, anyway.)

I'm looking at the intermediate program of Be Iron Fit, and I need to adjust the scheduling to fit my life. It has four runs a week (although one is only a 15 min run after bike). The adjustment puts two hour(+) runs on consecutive days. Bad idea?

Friday - 1-1.5 hour run (mostly 1.5 hours) --> this run HAS to be in the morning. So I can't do a Thursday AM and a Friday PM run.

Take this for whatever is worth, which might not be much. I am one for trusting plans - but then again I have no idea how to construct a plan. Am curious about how much biking is part of your plan? So my first thought would be to bike more. Am a big proponent of building up the bike. So, perhaps, consider TH to be a long bike and FR do a long run. instead of doing two long runs back to back. Your legs will benefit from the run when they are fatigued. Perhaps bump up your Tuesday brick to 20-30 min. Remember for Tri's that the more bike fitness you have, the fresher you will feel on the run due to the fact that the bike is the longest segment. Sorry if this is of no help.
2014-02-24 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by kathleenkp

If the intermediate program is like the competitive one, you must be switching the long bike and long run? Is that right? So you'll be biking on Saturday?

If so, I don't think it's a bad idea if it fits your schedule better, but it may decrease the quality of your long ride on Saturday. My two cents.
2014-02-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: Brendab

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Brendab Kudos to Chrissy & Scott - your times are impressive!!! I've been struggling with outer knee pain now for the past 3 months....not sure if it's the IT band since it's lower and the point of contact/pain is directly on a bone. I asked my coach about it 3 weeks ago and she's been trying to help with some massage, laser therapy (which I've never had before and would love your feedback) and stretching. After seeing her the pain disappears, but after a run or bike (since I always unclip the leg with the knee pain) it flares right back up. Last weekend, I did a 50 mi bike on Sat followed by a 10 mi run on Sun. It was one of the most painful runs I've ever had. My coach said NO running for a week......and I'm listening for sure but pouting - haha. I did swim Wed and did pool jogging for 20 min. I'm really starting to appreciate the value of stretching! I have to be honest, I'm not a big stretcher, but when I thought about it, I really don't know how to stretch. I've been doing some research and would appreciate any resources (websites, books, etc) that you guys have. My hubby is a big fan of trigger release therapy (as is my coach) and I'm getting more into that. Of course I already told you how much I love that roller!!! Pain, but good. I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to Kathleen's question about toes going numb and clips. Cheers, Brenda

My strictly long distance opinion is it's an IT band issue.  There are TONS of issues that can trigger ITBS.  That said you can "treat" some of the symptoms with trigger point/foam rolling.  I would do that over stretching.  Stretching is usually done poorly.  You really have to hold the stretch for 3-5 minutes to lengthen the muscle (mostly because you're tearing it a little).  I'd take a look at mobility training.  I used to recommend mobilitywod.com but that has become a paid site.   A foam roller and a lacrosse ball are a triathlete's best friend.

2014-02-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by Brendab
I've been struggling with outer knee pain now for the past 3 months....not sure if it's the IT band since it's lower and the point of contact/pain is directly on a bone. I asked my coach about it 3 weeks ago and she's been trying to help with some massage, laser therapy (which I've never had before and would love your feedback) and stretching. After seeing her the pain disappears, but after a run or bike (since I always unclip the leg with the knee pain) it flares right back up. Last weekend, I did a 50 mi bike on Sat followed by a 10 mi run on Sun. It was one of the most painful runs I've ever had. My coach said NO running for a week......and I'm listening for sure but pouting - haha. I did swim Wed and did pool jogging for 20 min. I'm really starting to appreciate the value of stretching! I have to be honest, I'm not a big stretcher, but when I thought about it, I really don't know how to stretch. I've been doing some research and would appreciate any resources (websites, books, etc) that you guys have. My hubby is a big fan of trigger release therapy (as is my coach) and I'm getting more into that. Of course I already told you how much I love that roller!!! Pain, but good.

I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to Kathleen's question about toes going numb and clips.

Cheers, Brenda

That doesn't sound good. Have you seen a PT about it? Glad to hear you are stretching more, definitely will help out. I'd be curious to know what it is causing that.

Originally posted by Dunn Right
Lessons learned: don't be so aggressive when the trail is that crowded and never trust other bikers on the trail, they are trying to kill you!

Just glad you are okay!!

I think I'm starting to get a cold... and am seriously considering taking the afternoon off work...

2014-02-24 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by kathleenkp On the shoes/cleats - It's during cycle class. The bike is kind of fit to me - I know where to move it each time I get to class. But, no, it's not professionally fitted. Shoes are loose enough (sized up a bit), Shimano shoes from my local tri shop. Doesn't matter with/without socks. Stadard Mountain Bike pedals/cleats. I have another pair of shoes that don't fit me as well, and it also happens with those, but worse. They are bigger shoes, so my foot sits in them differently. I had been hoping for a reply before my last class so that I could adjust it in time for the class. But I asked my instructor, who is also a physical therapist, after class. She told me I need to move the cleat back just a bit and that I need to flatten out my feet when I stand for "hills". It happens most when I stand, but also when I am sitting and I have the tension up higher. I'm putting pressure on a nerve running down my foot. That's what I figured was happening, but I didn't know which way to move the cleat to get off the nerve. Anyway, I was thinking maybe the numbness would transfer over to my road bike and it sounds like it will.

I'd also move them back.  The further forward your cleats are the more subconsciously you'll hit the bottom of your pedal stroke with your toes down.  You ideally want to push through the ball/mid foot and keep the foot flatish through the bottom of the stroke.  When your toes go numb it's normally the angle of the pressure.  Your toes shouldn't really point except in the occasion you're putting in a really huge effort.

2014-02-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: MechEChick

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by MechEChick
Originally posted by kathleenkp Running schedule question: Would there be any drawback to doing my "long run" the day after another run (that is nearly as long, but not labeled as such? Ha, ha. That's what I figured out on closer inspection of the schedule, anyway.) I'm looking at the intermediate program of Be Iron Fit, and I need to adjust the scheduling to fit my life. It has four runs a week (although one is only a 15 min run after bike). The adjustment puts two hour(+) runs on consecutive days. Bad idea? The running portion would look like this: Monday - 30-60 min run (mostly one hour) Tuesday - 15 min run after bike Thursday - 1-1.5 hour run (mostly one hour) Friday - 1-1.5 hour run (mostly 1.5 hours) --> this run HAS to be in the morning. So I can't do a Thursday AM and a Friday PM run.
If the intermediate program is like the competitive one, you must be switching the long bike and long run? Is that right? So you'll be biking on Saturday? If so, I don't think it's a bad idea if it fits your schedule better, but it may decrease the quality of your long ride on Saturday. My two cents.

I agree.  You really need to keep your eye on recovering though.  If you need to pull back the intensity of the shorter run to make sure you still have quality key workouts make sure you do it.  Also on days designated for recovery make sure you recover

2014-02-24 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4954449

Yes, I am switching the "Sunday" long run to Friday instead (so it's before the ride). I need to stick with Saturday mornings for the long ride b/c I will be going on group rides and b/c of how the time fits into my schedule. That will be the longest time block that I do each week.

I am planning to have one full day of recovery a week like the book plans. I will not even visit the weight room or look longingly at my BOSU ball/stretch bands at home. And I'm planning to keep the Tuesday 60 minute bike/run session *at* 60 minutes...although I will add in a weight training session with my trainer that day. Other than that, I know the rest of my days will probably go longer than the written amounts because that's just how I am. (I think it's likely a common trait amongst people here.) Thanks for that reminder, Scott. I've seen you say you pull back the intensity every 4th week or so as a built in recovery, and I noticed this plan I am going to follow does the same thing. I like that it's built in for me, as on my own, I will only do it in my head. Somehow, my workouts would find themselves longer than I had intended.

I had a swim meet yesterday. When I got to practice this morning, my coach had already put a big "X" on my column and told me to refer to the level 2 workout (usually runs 2/3 my distance). She told me she knew if she put anything there for me, I'd do it. So....I got a recovery day and she wouldn't even give me send-offs. Just rest times, and I was supposed to do the sets slowly. It was good and I needed it.
2014-02-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4954718

I will probably end up shortening the Thurs or Fri run, depending on what is going on during a particular week, but make sure that the long run really is long (so any shortening will be off the shorter run of the two). Good suggestion.
2014-02-25 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Alright guys.  I'm thinking of putting on a Intro to Triathlon or Triathlon 101 type of class.  I know we have a few newer triathletes here so I was going to see what topics you'd like covered if you were to attend a class like this.

2014-02-25 2:55 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Equipment for training/race day
What to expect on race day
Training volume
Nutrition
Balance with family life
2014-02-26 12:34 AM
in reply to: #4954720

tranisitions
gear to take and how to organize it
2014-02-26 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Well I am officially sick for the first time this year. Been lounging at home on the couch, which is incredibly boring; especially looking out at the sunny 50 degree days we're getting here. I'm trying really hard not to get discouraged from the time off from training, but know it's the smart move.
2014-02-26 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen - glad to hear you are okay. Trails? Were you MTB riding or are you referring to bike trails?
Christina - sorry to hear that you are under the weather...gotta be frustrating since you just began your IM training.

Scott - I personally would like to learn more about nutrition and bike parts 101 (e.g., tubular vs clincher, short vs regular crank sizes).

2014-02-26 6:11 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Allen - glad to hear you are okay. Trails? Were you MTB riding or are you referring to bike trails?

Bike trails, although bikers were definitely in the minority out there this past weekend.

2014-02-26 9:18 PM

User image

New user
Robbinsville
Scott - Topics that I would enjoy as a newbie.
Nutrition race day and during training.
Transitions/ how to pack for race day.
How to build a training plan.
2014-02-28 9:13 AM
in reply to: poolgod

User image

Pro
CyFair

10 and change descending pace run done.  After two days of it being in the 30s in the morning it was warm and muggy again, and I wonder why my kids all have noses like faucets at the moment.  Anyway my legs felt good during the run but feel shot now.  Tomorrows 2:45 interval riide should be fun.

I started putting together the Tri 101 power point.  I'll post it up here when I'm done.  At the moment I'm making if so it spans very beginner topics to intermediate ones.  Part of the problem my local tri club has is that coming out to group workouts with multiple time Ironmen/Iron(wo)men can be intimidating.  I get that.  That said it becomes exponentially less so if you can understand the language and to be honest triathlon may be the most friendly sport I've ever taken part in.

2014-02-28 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

10 and change descending pace run done.  After two days of it being in the 30s in the morning it was warm and muggy again, and I wonder why my kids all have noses like faucets at the moment.  Anyway my legs felt good during the run but feel shot now.  Tomorrows 2:45 interval riide should be fun.

I started putting together the Tri 101 power point.  I'll post it up here when I'm done.  At the moment I'm making if so it spans very beginner topics to intermediate ones.  Part of the problem my local tri club has is that coming out to group workouts with multiple time Ironmen/Iron(wo)men can be intimidating.  I get that.  That said it becomes exponentially less so if you can understand the language and to be honest triathlon may be the most friendly sport I've ever taken part in.

Got the long ladder tomorrow too but a 2600yd swim and run tonight.

Did you get your paddles? How are you doing with them? I am getting a little better each time out.
2014-03-02 3:13 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

, Florida
Allen -Glad your crash wasn't any worse and that it was on something soft!

Crissy - how did your Adventure Race Day go???

Time to relax and get better Christina......sometimes we just don't have control over everything! haha

Scott - Thanks for the tips on mobility training. Was shocked when I read that stretches should be held for 3-5 min. I've been terrible about stretching, but as I've told people, I don't really know how to stretch and I keep hearing conflicting reports on when and how to stretch. I'm working with my Tri coach and she has given me some stretches, but I'll make sure I keep using the roller.
As for TRI 101 topics: nutrition!!! I've never seen anyone talk about the differences between men & women (maybe there aren't enough to warrant a discussion). Having only done 3 tri's it has been helpful to hear "What to Expect".....especially at the start of the race standing by the water. I would definitely be interested in "what IF this happens?" .......like a flat tire, getting a cramp you've never gotten before, if the temp is significantly different than you've been training in, etc. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
2014-03-03 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Thanks Brenda!

Good luck with the Tri 101 Scott! I think equipment was the most intimidating part for me when starting.

I'm still fighting off this thing and have gone a full week without a single workout. I'm hoping for an easy run tonight and see how my body handles it. I'm not good at taking time off, but this has really knocked me off my feet.

2014-03-04 4:14 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
February totals anybody?

Swim: 5h 45m - 21700 Yd
Bike: 14h 45m 42s - 264.31 Mi
Run: 9h 07m 06s - 71.28 Mi

I was a little lighter on volume this month (especially swimming, oh no!).

Just under six weeks to go until NOLA 70.3!
2014-03-04 6:21 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

, Florida
Here are my Feb. totals with no running for the past 2 weeks.
SWIM 13,650 yds
RUN 44 mi
BIKE 75 mi

2014-03-04 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Man, taking a full week off will bring down the totals!

Swim: 2h - 6100 yds (yeah... can't blame that entirely on being sick)
Bike: 8.5 h - 147 miles
Run: 12h - 82 miles

Here's to a great March!
2014-03-05 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
It snowed today and was 9 degrees out this morning. Yeah!

Feb Totals:

320.56 miles Bike
20250 yds swim
11 hours running - not sure total distance because a bunch of those were on the treadmill and I go much more slowly on that vs outside so it is not an accurate measure of distance.
6 hours or so strength/other training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24135 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98616 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15944 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29268 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 1, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.