General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimalist versus Traditional Running Shoe Study Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-23 5:35 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Minimalist versus Traditional Running Shoe Study
Minimalist shoes versus more traditional running shoes; definitely worth a read:

http://www.therunningclinic.ca/blog/2013/12/premiere-etude-randomis...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24357642/

Shane

2013-12-23 5:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Minimalist versus Traditional Running Shoe Study

Thanks for posting! Although, I wasn't really surprised. 

One thing that I am curious about and don't fully understand (and maybe you do) - is the role of shoe weight vs foot protection. I'm assuming that whatever shock that the shoe is not absorbing is being absorbed by the runner. Assuming no injury issues or shoe style preference (because I know specific needs can greatly complicate this question,) how do we make good decisions when it comes to weight vs the amount of shock absorption/foot protection?

I'll use myself as an example. I am trying to figure out what shoes to wear in a marathon. I've raced in flats in all distances with no issues, but how do I know that is a good decision vs maybe going with a little more protection and possibly preserving the legs a bit? 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-12-23 5:49 PM
2013-12-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
The title makes my feet hurt.

I got my answer Hoka One One.

I think shoes selection is understanding your foot placement, then trial and error. I can tell you this rounded up toe box will get you faster off your foot but will open up your metatarsal. Well that is what I experienced.
2013-12-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

In conclusion, if you switch to a minimalist shoe and don't transition properly, you have a greater likelihood of injury.

They excluded the results of runners who were used to a minimalist shoe.

So what is the point you were trying to get across here?

2013-12-23 7:04 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by dmiller5

In conclusion, if you switch to a minimalist shoe and don't transition properly, you have a greater likelihood of injury.

I don't think Shane needs to have his own point, he's sharing a study. It looks like a well designed study of transitioning to minimalist footwear over 12 weeks in training for a 10k. Very specific design I think (I'm not an expert in design).

This begs the question of "why transition?"

There are lots of other studies out there that have looked at other aspects of minimalist shoes (greater economy), collision forces (lower in barefoot conditioned runners), tissue elasticity (greater in minimalist footwear), and whether it's strike pattern or footwear that seems more important.

Lots of takeaways and learning opportunities here for the open minded.
2013-12-23 7:10 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I think he was exposing us to some interesting information.

It was pertinent for me because I ran today in my Nike Frees for the first time in probably six months and now my feet are sore. However, I have a long-standing prohibition against ever running in the same shoes two days in a row. It is my belief that switching things up daily helps me to prevent repetitive use injuries that 'may' be caused by shoes. Tomorrow will probably be Hokas, Wednesday-Kinvaras, Thursday-my new Virrattas that I happen to know are under the tree So on and so on. I may not see the Frees again for 10 days or six months depending on my mood.

FWIW, I have been happy with using Kinvara or Kinvara-like shoes for most of my miles the last couple years. Excellent trade off of a low drop, somewhat minimalist shoe that still offers relatively good cushioning.

2013-12-23 7:13 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by BrotherTri The title makes my feet hurt. I got my answer Hoka One One. I think shoes selection is understanding your foot placement, then trial and error. I can tell you this rounded up toe box will get you faster off your foot but will open up your metatarsal. Well that is what I experienced.

So, how do we decide what is working?

Is it just when something hurts that serves as an indicator that we need to change something? 

2013-12-23 7:37 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
If anyone has ever put together a study, you would know exactly how hard it is to get information that will please everyone. That said every study is aimed to answer a certain thought, hypothesis, trend, etc.

In this case the study was aimed at looking at the injury rates and pain perception in neutral vs minimalist shoes.

This study gives more weight that the minimalist shoes such as Vibrams give more injuries, then neutral shoes. In essence it is aiming to get people off the "I ran Born to Run and running minimalistic makes the most sense" train.
2013-12-23 7:46 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by AdventureBear

I don't think Shane needs to have his own point, he's sharing a study. It looks like a well designed study of transitioning to minimalist footwear over 12 weeks in training for a 10k. Very specific design I think (I'm not an expert in design). This begs the question of "why transition?" There are lots of other studies out there that have looked at other aspects of minimalist shoes (greater economy), collision forces (lower in barefoot conditioned runners), tissue elasticity (greater in minimalist footwear), and whether it's strike pattern or footwear that seems more important. Lots of takeaways and learning opportunities here for the open minded.

I think that the protocol shows that taking a person who has been running more than 5 years in "normal" shoes, and has been wearing "normal" shoes their whole life, has injury problems when transitioning too quickly into minimal shoes. I am open minded about these things, but the testing protocol seems questionable at best. 

2013-12-23 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by BrotherTri The title makes my feet hurt. I got my answer Hoka One One. I think shoes selection is understanding your foot placement, then trial and error. I can tell you this rounded up toe box will get you faster off your foot but will open up your metatarsal. Well that is what I experienced.

Is it just when something hurts that serves as an indicator that we need to change something? 

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but that is the great dilemma imo. I don't know if the following is an answer or not.
Obviously listening to our bodys, but often that could put us into a paranoid state. Any persistent pain is not a good sign and something need to be looked at. I could go to 5 different shoe gurus and get 5 different recomendations based on my foot bio mechanics. That is were the trial and error kicks in. The other thing is you could run a particular footwear and the company changes something. Guess what now you may have issues. Bottom line I think this is just one of those questions that has no real answer. Just need to be mindful is It pain in a persistent state then maybe time to change or before.

Just my opinion and experience.
2013-12-23 8:17 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but that is the great dilemma imo. I don't know if the following is an answer or not. Obviously listening to our bodys, but often that could put us into a paranoid state. Any persistent pain is not a good sign and something need to be looked at. I could go to 5 different shoe gurus and get 5 different recomendations based on my foot bio mechanics. That is were the trial and error kicks in. The other thing is you could run a particular footwear and the company changes something. Guess what now you may have issues. Bottom line I think this is just one of those questions that has no real answer. Just need to be mindful is It pain in a persistent state then maybe time to change or before.Just my opinion and experience.
Well, I'm glad there doesn't seem to be any magical answer because its sure got me stumped! It's really hard because, as I said, I have worn racing flats in a marathon no problem. But I have no idea if its the BEST option. And generally, racing marathons is quite infrequent so you can't just try again next week and decide what's better. Then on top of that there are a million other variables to take into account and its difficult to decide exactly how the shoe fit into the equation.

2013-12-23 8:33 PM

User image

Is the first link in French for everyone else or just me?
2013-12-23 8:43 PM

User image

Champion

I'll use myself as an example. I am trying to figure out what shoes to wear in a marathon. I've raced in flats in all distances with no issues, but how do I know that is a good decision vs maybe going with a little more protection and possibly preserving the legs a bit?

I think the right answer for this is pretty individualized but, in general, I don't think many amateur runners benefit from flats for the marathon distance. A lighter shoe, like a lightweight trainer is probably a better choice for many and just a trainer for the rest.

Personally, when I was running all the time, I found that my lightweight trainers were best when I was running 4:45/km or faster and my flats seemed to be best when I was running 4:00/km or faster. If I wore my lightweight trainers for an easy run, I would finish with more soreness and often some hot spots but for a threshold run, they felt fantastic. Similar with flats, sprint, oly, I pace work were all great and they were okay for threshold work but seemed to take a greater toll than lightweight trainers.

Now, this might have been all in my head but that was what worked well for me.

Shane
2013-12-23 8:47 PM

User image

Champion

While I didn't really have a point beyond posting an interesting study involving minimalist running shoes, my thoughts are:

1) minimalist shoes are not the panacea they are so often presented as.

2) even with a pretty conservative transition, the minimalist shoes still saw many runners experience issues with the minimalist shoes.

3) as we've seen many times, the switch in shoes often just changes where the stresses are felt on the body.

Shane
2013-12-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Champion
English is halfway down.

Shane
2013-12-23 9:11 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Originally posted by AdventureBear

I don't think Shane needs to have his own point, he's sharing a study. It looks like a well designed study of transitioning to minimalist footwear over 12 weeks in training for a 10k. Very specific design I think (I'm not an expert in design). This begs the question of "why transition?" There are lots of other studies out there that have looked at other aspects of minimalist shoes (greater economy), collision forces (lower in barefoot conditioned runners), tissue elasticity (greater in minimalist footwear), and whether it's strike pattern or footwear that seems more important. Lots of takeaways and learning opportunities here for the open minded.

I think that the protocol shows that taking a person who has been running more than 5 years in "normal" shoes, and has been wearing "normal" shoes their whole life, has injury problems when transitioning too quickly into minimal shoes. I am open minded about these things, but the testing protocol seems questionable at best. 

I agree with you..but why is the testing protocol questionable?

2013-12-23 9:17 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Not that this is applicable to everyone..adn it's NOT going to be the answer most triathletes want, but my quick story...

Always been an athlete involved in running sports...running, soccer, ultimate frisbee, hashing (the run club, not a toking club). got fancy new running shoes at age 12, craved that cushy feel when landing on my heel...I DISTINCTLY remember this on my first run in them...so that's how I ran all through HS, COllege, etc. Got annoyed running in soccer cleats because it hurt, but at that age my body could tolerate it.

Fast forward to age 36, 1 triathlon behind me, and I had back surgery. after rehab (swimming & biking) readded running. back pain @ the site if surgery with every step. Over the past 9 years...I have been "transitioning" to a forefoot /midfoot landing. I now run in lightly cushined, zero rise running shoes (Altra) and have no back pain when I run. i did have calf and achilles tightness during a recent 2 year period of transition of "higher" mileage which for me is all of 9-12 miles per week.

but now I can run again with no pain and it's way more fun than when i was 34, 35, 36, 37.

now my run limiter is just conditioning on and off, rather than pain all the time.

if I was still 21 I'd have no reason to change, but I wish I'd never picked out those cushy reebok running shoes in the first place...then I'd have 30+ years of less impactful form in my body. Who knows maybe I'd be an olympian!
2013-12-23 11:07 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany
Wait .......

a "scientific study" with 99 runners over a 12- week period (without a reference group) ???
Hmm ... sounds like BS to me ...... or somebody who wanted to read his name on the Interwebs ....

How about the scientific study, that eating 1 lbs chocolate before running reduces risk of rain fall?

2013-12-24 8:04 AM

In my opinion, there are too many variables involved for this study to be of any value, except perhaps to examine the methods, come up with a better study, and include more participants.

A few (and really just a few) of the issues that would need to be addressed,

First and foremost, if they all entered the same 12 week training program, how was this a change from their current program?

How were they running up to the study, volume, intensity, etc...?

What about their respective injury history?

What about the form of the runners? Heel strikers would have more difficulty adjusting to a minimalist shoe, and would have a greater likelihood of injury.

(I don't have the actual science to back this up), to my understanding and by intuition, lighter runners do better in minimalist shoes. Was this addressed?

Were all the runs done on a treadmill? Or on asphalt? The surface that runners chose to run on could also impact the study. Suppose some of the runners did much of their running on dirt trails. (This may have been addressed, but I didn't see any reference to it).

I am also curious about the design of the training program. How much intensity was there? Or was it strictly based on distance? This would have a huge impact on how each runner approached the program. Some may "take it easy," to adjust to the new footwear, and other may just pound the pavement and go as hard as usual.
2013-12-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: rpistor

User image

Champion
Originally posted by rpistor

Wait .......

a "scientific study" with 99 runners over a 12- week period (without a reference group) ???
Hmm ... sounds like BS to me ...... or somebody who wanted to read his name on the Interwebs ....

Well, when it comes to exercise physiology studies, an n value of 103 is pretty high - much more common to see n values under 20.

As to the reference group, there were three groups in the study - traditional, partial minimalist and full minimalist. It certainly could have been valuable to have a fourth group that was left in whatever they were using but I'm sure that subsequent study will refine experimental procedure.

How about the scientific study, that eating 1 lbs chocolate before running reduces risk of rain fall?

While it is always important to remember that correlation does not equal causation, it is not like the authors have concluded that lemon importation has led to a decrease in automobile crashes.

Shane
2013-12-24 9:04 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Champion
I'm assuming you haven't actually read the study and just the two links? Most of your points are addressed in the actual article.

Overall, while there are issues with the study (and every study will have short comings) to write it off as not having value is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. One of the things that has been constantly thrown around by the barefoot proponents is that there isn't research being done into barefoot/minimalist running so of course there is little data to support or refute its benefit.

So while this study is most certainly not the final word on minimalist running, it provides some data and a valuable caution for those who prescribe minimalist running that great care must be exercised as athletes transition as even the gradual build seen in this study appears to be overly aggressive.

Shane

2013-12-24 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Asalzwed I'll use myself as an example. I am trying to figure out what shoes to wear in a marathon. I've raced in flats in all distances with no issues, but how do I know that is a good decision vs maybe going with a little more protection and possibly preserving the legs a bit?
I think the right answer for this is pretty individualized but, in general, I don't think many amateur runners benefit from flats for the marathon distance. A lighter shoe, like a lightweight trainer is probably a better choice for many and just a trainer for the rest. Personally, when I was running all the time, I found that my lightweight trainers were best when I was running 4:45/km or faster and my flats seemed to be best when I was running 4:00/km or faster. If I wore my lightweight trainers for an easy run, I would finish with more soreness and often some hot spots but for a threshold run, they felt fantastic. Similar with flats, sprint, oly, I pace work were all great and they were okay for threshold work but seemed to take a greater toll than lightweight trainers. Now, this might have been all in my head but that was what worked well for me. Shane

I absolutely agree that is is individualized. But I have a hard time understanding why an amateur wouldn't benefit from a lighter weight shoe, assuming they aren't having any issues with injury. 

I just don't understand how to make a good decision about shoes, other than comfort. Well, and of course they have to look cool too

I also feel that the people that seem to know the most about the subject (running shoe companies and running shoe stores) don't exactly give unbiased information. 

Finally, in regard to the minimalist conversation, I wonder, why don't we include socks when we talk about "cushioning?" I know it's not everything when it comes to a minimalist shoe, but it's got to be at least part of the equation. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-12-24 12:11 PM
2013-12-24 3:34 PM
in reply to: rpistor

User image

Originally posted by rpistor

Wait .......

Since when is a sample set of 99 not enough for a scientific study? It's called a "representative sample set".

Look, take issue with the results of the study if you like but knocking it because it "only" used 99 subjects is ridiculous. Many reputable studies have used a much smaller sample size.
2013-12-24 3:49 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Asalzwed I'll use myself as an example. I am trying to figure out what shoes to wear in a marathon. I've raced in flats in all distances with no issues, but how do I know that is a good decision vs maybe going with a little more protection and possibly preserving the legs a bit?
I think the right answer for this is pretty individualized but, in general, I don't think many amateur runners benefit from flats for the marathon distance. A lighter shoe, like a lightweight trainer is probably a better choice for many and just a trainer for the rest. Personally, when I was running all the time, I found that my lightweight trainers were best when I was running 4:45/km or faster and my flats seemed to be best when I was running 4:00/km or faster. If I wore my lightweight trainers for an easy run, I would finish with more soreness and often some hot spots but for a threshold run, they felt fantastic. Similar with flats, sprint, oly, I pace work were all great and they were okay for threshold work but seemed to take a greater toll than lightweight trainers. Now, this might have been all in my head but that was what worked well for me. Shane

I absolutely agree that is is individualized. But I have a hard time understanding why an amateur wouldn't benefit from a lighter weight shoe, assuming they aren't having any issues with injury. 

I just don't understand how to make a good decision about shoes, other than comfort. Well, and of course they have to look cool too

I also feel that the people that seem to know the most about the subject (running shoe companies and running shoe stores) don't exactly give unbiased information. 

Finally, in regard to the minimalist conversation, I wonder, why don't we include socks when we talk about "cushioning?" I know it's not everything when it comes to a minimalist shoe, but it's got to be at least part of the equation. 

The weight of the shoe isn't necessarily indicative of the type of the support. Naturally more suppoort should mean a heavier shoe, and barefoot is as light as you can get, but other factors like heel support, pronation support, heel to toe drop, etc. contribute to the style of the shoe moresoe tahn teh weight.

Controlling for weight would be a nother good addition to a study protocol (not sure if its been done)
2013-12-24 4:14 PM

User image

Champion

There are a couple of things that make me feel that way about wearing flats for the marathon distance:

1) very few amateur athletes are well trained for a marathon and combined with going out too hard, the last few miles are not about running but just hanging on.

2) you can watch many athletes form deteriorate through a marathon and unless one is fit enough to maintain good form throughout, I don't think that there will be a positive impact due to lighter shoes.

While it is fairly arbitrary, I would guess that for most the point at which it may be beneficial to consider flats would be if one has a realistic chance of putting up a BQ time or faster.

I think that most performance socks off such a small amount of compression compared to the insole that it doesn't really matter in terms of any added compression although it may make a big difference in terms of comfort as very few shoes are truly comfortable when sockless.

As for making a good selection, I think that for most, comfort should be the primary driver of shoe selection. If it feels comfortable while running and you don't notice any consistent sore spots after running then you're probably in a shoe that works well for you.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimalist versus Traditional Running Shoe Study Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2805 Posts: 10

2011-11-17 11:53 AM natethomas2000

Good form running technique - similar pain issues as minimalist shoes Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMike
Views: 3899 Posts: 34

2010-11-08 8:37 AM briderdt

Sockless, Minimalist Running Shoe Recommendations

Started by Motivated
Views: 5731 Posts: 24

2010-07-04 7:56 AM TracyV

Starting over with running/minimalist shoes

Started by TritoTeach
Views: 2088 Posts: 17

2009-12-22 11:01 AM Gritty

Which minimalist/forefoot running shoes?

Started by Cubby
Views: 15507 Posts: 21

2009-10-08 4:37 PM saling4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : October 14, 2010
author : FitWerx
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : July 17, 2005
Is there any current literature or recommendations on this subject, and when do you know it's time to stop activities like running before the damage is done or worsened?