BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2013-12-28 6:53 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by BrotherTriDo you want to just get a faster arm turn over? If so…..Something I do (my little secret which I think is widely overlooked) I will intervals swim with fins. They kick your a$$. I do to start with a mid length fin 3x100 at threshold or just above recovery and repeat x2 or x3. This will pull my arm speed up. This is a drill I’ll do a few weeks before a race. EDIT ..............for effect and spelling because I sux at it

You know, I've never really counted but I always feel like fins slow my turnover down.  I've read that before though - I must be doing it wrong.  Maybe it's because my kick sucks so bad that when I put fins on I kick more because it actually feels like it's accomplishing something!

2013-12-28 8:07 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by BrotherTriDo you want to just get a faster arm turn over? If so…..Something I do (my little secret which I think is widely overlooked) I will intervals swim with fins. They kick your a$$. I do to start with a mid length fin 3x100 at threshold or just above recovery and repeat x2 or x3. This will pull my arm speed up. This is a drill I’ll do a few weeks before a race. EDIT ..............for effect and spelling because I sux at it

You know, I've never really counted but I always feel like fins slow my turnover down.  I've read that before though - I must be doing it wrong.  Maybe it's because my kick sucks so bad that when I put fins on I kick more because it actually feels like it's accomplishing something!

Arend, I doubt you have a weak kick.

I probable did not explain the swim with fins correctly. The idea is to kick faster and with the added propulsion this will allow your arm to time to that higher cadence. The catch maybe not be as powerful but this is about arm turnover. It will tax your Vo2.

I use Speedo Biofuse fins which a little shorter and heaver than a mid length fin. Most likely a zoomer fin will work well too.
2013-12-28 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I hear you on not letting over-focusing on one element get in the way - just trying to figure the swim out.  Here's what I found, for anyone interested.

I went and counted during a swim tonight and the 910 is, indeed, only counting one arm.  I was averaging 10 spl (so, 20 if counting both arms) during a super-steady recovery-ish 2,200 all at ~1:43 - 1:46, both on my count and the 910.  My spm rate is ~46 spm at that pace.  For previous OWS workouts (so, no walls - which makes a difference) it was within 2 spm of 60 (a bit higher for faster swims, lower for slower - but most of them were steady swims around 1:30/100yds +/-).

Interesting thing (to me) is that I went back and looked at some races.  

-Timberman HIM was 1,009 strokes in 30:07 or about 67 spm.  Faster turnover.
-Dover-Sherborn sprint (1/4mile) was 70 spm.  This was a gut buster and I almost blew up in the swim.
-Nantucket Oly was 628 in 19' for about 65 spm.  Swam a bit easier than Timberman, RPE-wise, so it fits.

In other words, I ratchet up the turnover in races, and more the faster I *try* to swim.  I think I might be able to actually lower the cadence a little in the races and swim taller and more efficiently…  This would be similar to what I'm trying to do on my run, keeping the cadence between 90-95 and running more powerfully.  Might have to experiment with what I see at different intervals over the next month.

At least gives me something to think about (not sure anyone else will make it through the gobbldegook above, as there is no wattage data).  

Matt

2013-12-28 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Arend, I doubt you have a weak kick. I probable did not explain the swim with fins correctly. The idea is to kick faster and with the added propulsion this will allow your arm to time to that higher cadence. The catch maybe not be as powerful but this is about arm turnover. It will tax your Vo2. I use Speedo Biofuse fins which a little shorter and heaver than a mid length fin. Most likely a zoomer fin will work well too.

Ugh - I either have to follow Fred's lead and have my 11 and 9 year olds start giving me workouts to do in the pool, read a book, get a swim coach - or all three!

What the devil is a zoomer fin, anyway?  Off to ask the Google…  

So much to learn… I love it!

Matt

2013-12-28 8:37 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Ugh - I either have to follow Fred's lead and have my 11 and 9 year olds start giving me workouts to do in the pool, read a book, get a swim coach - or all three!

What the devil is a zoomer fin, anyway?  Off to ask the Google…  

So much to learn… I love it!

Matt

Zoomer are a short tempo fin

http://www.swimoutlet.com/photos/options/1267-206-T.jpg

Zoomers

http://www.swimoutlet.com/photos/16533-2T.jpg

Speedo Biofuse

2013-12-28 9:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hey you guys! Howzit?

Curious, do any of you have a recommendation for a mentor/group that has a lot of running knowledge/experience?

I know ... it's kind of faux pas to ask about a mentor group in a mentor group. But, I figure you guys would understand! 

I will probably still pop in here every now and again, so I suppose I should post some info. I'm just so run-xclusive now, I feel a bit out of place! Don't make me to go letsrun! They will eat me aliiiive! 

. Jim's group (Birkierunner) is the best answer. Jim was a former NCAA competitive track runner with an amazing PB in the 10k. Seriously, people would be floored by how fast he ran that. I'd reach out to Jim, as I know you are a very fine runner yourself, and I'm sure he would be very helpful.

Fred, thanks so much for the kind remarks.  Yes, my group is still open...and likely will be for quite some time because there tends to be a big drop-off in participation after a few weeks.  I'd rather keep the group open because I don't mind if people pop in once in a while to ask questions.  If it's still OK, I would like to keep in touch with this group as well because the discussions are always top notch.

edited to add: oops, sorry...I just noticed Adrienne's response on another page so it sounds like my group isn't what he's looking for

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-12-28 9:23 PM

2013-12-29 6:23 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-29 6:27 AM
in reply to: Fred D

2013-12-29 6:38 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Ok, I'm less than 3 miles away from making 100 miles running for the thir consecutive month. I'm really pleased with this, especially since I've been ill for much of the end of November, and most of December. Consistency....

That's great Fred!  No doubt your coach will want to continue on that path.  

Has anyone been peeking at their yearly totals to see if they need to squeeze anything extra in to hit any milestones?  (Made you look!)  I'm kind of glad I'm not really near anything that would tempt me.  Comparing to last year my swim time is very similar, bike is down a fair bit (but quality was way up) and my run is way up.

2013-12-29 6:43 AM

2013-12-29 6:45 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Fred D Ok, I'm less than 3 miles away from making 100 miles running for the thir consecutive month. I'm really pleased with this, especially since I've been ill for much of the end of November, and most of December. Consistency....

Has anyone been peeking at their yearly totals to see if they need to squeeze anything extra in to hit any milestones?  (Made you look!)  I'm kind of glad I'm not really near anything that would tempt me.  Comparing to last year my swim time is very similar, bike is down a fair bit (but quality was way up) and my run is way up.

. 32 miles from 1000 running for the year, but not going to make that one lol

Yeah, I'm about that from 2500 KMs.  Not gonna happen!

2013-12-29 7:20 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

To be honest YES and it ain’t going to happen.

• ........about 200 mile short on the bike and 500 mile short on the run.

• On a brighter note my swim looks good.

2013-12-29 9:01 AM

Veteran
    Austin, Texas

Argh - you did make me look!  

About 7k yds away from a swim milestone for me, but not gonna get that in the next couple days is my guess.

All in, it was my best year of training yet, so I'm happy with it!

Hmmmm, I wonder if I'm closer to any milestones if I go metric.  

Matt

ETA: as my FIRST year of tri-training, it's not hard to be my BEST year, now is it?

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-12-29 9:02 AM
    2013-12-29 9:32 AM

I just cracked 7500 miles on the bike yesterday.

I'm 0.03 miles from hitting 1250 miles running.  Considering I haven't run at all since Oct 16th...not going to make that one...

2013-12-29 11:06 AM

Veteran
    Houston, Texas

Not really within striking distance of any milestones, though my totals are much larger than 2012 (though I just started logging in April, 2012, so that's an unfair comparison!).

Looking back, I think it's funny that I managed to spend 208 hours on the bike, but only went 1325 miles -- for a very pathetic ~6 mph average  I log most of my riding on the trainer and don't record distance, so it sure skews my calculated speed!

I also spent 8 more hours in the pool than I did running (walking for most of the year...).  Quite happy with the bike and swim volumes and hoping to be similar in those aspects for 2014, but really hoping to stay healthy enough to actually run this year.  The end of 2013 has been good in that respect, a couple weeks into the ST 100 runs in 100 days challenge.

2013-12-29 2:42 PM

Happy New Year all!   Turned a corner with my foot and am symptom free for a couple days.   One more week per PT, so i will almost have Matt's recommendation of two weeks with no symptoms before starting again.  It's hard, as Nicole said it's been in the 70s and beautiful here.   Just got back from a mountain bike ride with my brother.  I Climb better than him, he descends better than me 

Happy to start 2014 injury free and ready to try to hit my sub 5 goal at NOLA!

2013-12-29 2:44 PM

James - I saw you post re Hokas and metatarsals.   I have very high arches and as a result an abnormally high load on the second metatarsal.   I'd like to reduce the load, as this seems to be a good source for injury.  What is your issue and how do the Hokas solve it?

Used them for two runs last year and they seemed to cause a bit of a knee issue, but only ran in them twice, and no need to swap pre IM.

2013-12-29 6:57 PM

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Originally posted by ChrisM

James - I saw you post re Hokas and metatarsals.   I have very high arches and as a result an abnormally high load on the second metatarsal.   I'd like to reduce the load, as this seems to be a good source for injury.  What is your issue and how do the Hokas solve it?

Used them for two runs last year and they seemed to cause a bit of a knee issue, but only ran in them twice, and no need to swap pre IM.

Chris,

I have a high arches as well with a neutral strike. My load is on # II Metatarsals right in front of the # II Phalanges proximales on the right foot. Check the link….

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatarsus

Hokas Bond B has a flat bottom so that is helping as well because a rolled toe shoe will open the Metatarsals and put more pressure on my strike zone. I also went to a very short stride so all of the combinations is what is really doing the trick.

I am running at 182 lbs in 9 ½ Hokas which is my size (logs are open). I hope that helps.

edit link

Edited by BrotherTri 2013-12-29 7:00 PM
    2013-12-30 8:10 AM

Champion
    It's Maui time. Do do do do. Just watched my bike make it onto the plane!
    2013-12-30 8:11 AM
    in reply to: mndymond

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond It's Maui time. Do do do do. Just watched my bike make it onto the plane!

I'm so jealous!  Have a great time!

I've been researching warm places to travel to all morning.  lol

2013-12-30 8:16 AM

Master
    Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by mndymond It's Maui time. Do do do do. Just watched my bike make it onto the plane!

Ha made me think when I lived in Hawaii, I volunteer to go to Antarctica for 6 months.

Edited by BrotherTri 2013-12-30 8:17 AM

2013-12-30 8:39 AM

Veteran
    Austin, Texas

Awesome!  We've always wanted to check out Hawaii.  

We just booked a family trip to a different volcanic island with a strong tri community for February vacation, but a little closer to home - Nevis.  Not Hawaii (and that was on the list, but wooooooo is it pricey that week!), but special to us as we went there on our honeymoon what seems like hundreds of years ago.

Not racing, but I'm actually kind of psyched to check out the tri community there, too, as one of the guys we befriended back then (as pizz-poor grad students that barely made it down there and back!  Literally had less than $20 on landing in Boston) is now basically leading the tri scene.

Have fun in Maui (stoooopid thing to even say, but do!).  And Arend, it's got be getting close to freezing up there now - that qualifies as nice weather!  Kim just texted me to be careful on my run, as the roads are covered in black ice - eek.  

Matt

2013-12-30 8:42 AM
    in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 And Arend, it's got be getting close to freezing up there now - that qualifies as nice weather!  Kim just texted me to be careful on my run, as the roads are covered in black ice - eek.  

Matt

It's supposed to go all the way up to +2 today!  and some rain to get rid of some snow hopefully.  My big fear is that we then have 4 days of cold so if this rain only semi melts the roads and sidewalks it's going to be a giant mess when it freezes up.

2013-12-30 8:51 AM

Expert
    Norton Shores, MI

I just glanced at my totals and was surpised at my totals.  They are actually somewhat comparable to 2012.  I really did not do much after we had our second child at the end of May so that is suprising.

I did 2 HIMs in 2012 and raced only 2 times total in 2013...an Olympic and Sprint. 

I have a feeling my volume in 2014 is going to be quite high for me...especially bike/swim at the start of the year.

Testing this week...Bike today and Swim on Thursday.

2013-12-30 9:09 AM

Expert
    Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 And Arend, it's got be getting close to freezing up there now - that qualifies as nice weather!  Kim just texted me to be careful on my run, as the roads are covered in black ice - eek.  

Matt

It's supposed to go all the way up to +2 today!  and some rain to get rid of some snow hopefully.  My big fear is that we then have 4 days of cold so if this rain only semi melts the roads and sidewalks it's going to be a giant mess when it freezes up.

That is exactly what happened to us in the Midwest.  Warmed up for 2 days to 35-40F and now we have a high of 16 for the next week.  The subdivision roads are that crunchy ice that will break your ankle although main roads are dry.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
    Views: 21004 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
    Views: 37188 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
    Views: 19719 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
    Views: 24181 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15995 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
    date : December 17, 2007
    author : LukeTX04
    I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
    date : August 7, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
    author : TriDDS
    comments : 1
    Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
    date : June 6, 2006
    author : marmadaddy
    The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
    author : acbadger
    The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.