BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2013-12-30 9:30 AM
in reply to: rymac

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by rymac

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 And Arend, it's got be getting close to freezing up there now - that qualifies as nice weather!  Kim just texted me to be careful on my run, as the roads are covered in black ice - eek.  

Matt

It's supposed to go all the way up to +2 today!  and some rain to get rid of some snow hopefully.  My big fear is that we then have 4 days of cold so if this rain only semi melts the roads and sidewalks it's going to be a giant mess when it freezes up.

That is exactly what happened to us in the Midwest.  Warmed up for 2 days to 35-40F and now we have a high of 16 for the next week.  The subdivision roads are that crunchy ice that will break your ankle although main roads are dry.

This side of the lake too. 44F on Saturday, then falling continuously to this morning. It's -3F right now. Not sure just how low it went as the sun has been up for a few hours. Road conditions are about the same. Maybe I should go for a run?

2013-12-30 9:48 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!

Just finished up a 1200+ TSS week on the bike, and I'll probably get really close to 4000 for the month of December.  Legs are feeling it right now, but the next 5 days are focused on just easy spinning.  20' test next weekend.

2013-12-30 10:07 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by mndymond It's Maui time. Do do do do. Just watched my bike make it onto the plane!

I'm so jealous!  Have a great time!

I've been researching warm places to travel to all morning.  lol

Ha made me think when I lived in Hawaii, I volunteer to go to Antarctica for 6 months.

When was that?

Just for the record, you didn't fool anyone (i.e., me) with the username change back when I'd recognize those calves anywhere!

And for the rest of you rabble-rousin' tri-lovin' Utopes ... I just missed you too much to stay away. And Fred called me out in Tri Talk

It is insanely (in a good way, for a change) busy in my life and I now live between THREE different cities (Bali island, Jakarta, and Perth) just to keep it fun. Really happy with the drop-in, floating format here ... and continue to desperately need youses wisdom. Triathlon went from two people (before I moved back to Indonesia) here, to ten (shortly after I moved back) to well over a THOUSAND now and still exploding (as are the number of endurance and multisport events). It's all so very dizzying and wonderful.

2013-12-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by Jason N

Just finished up a 1200+ TSS week on the bike, and I'll probably get really close to 4000 for the month of December.  Legs are feeling it right now, but the next 5 days are focused on just easy spinning.  20' test next weekend.

Yowser...thats BIG!  Nice work.   I need a much better bike seat to kick out that TSS!!

2013-12-30 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Holy crap, Jason!  That is crazy....and awesome!  Were you off for the week and able to put in a bunch of extra volume, or is this on par with the volume you could (not necessarily would) put in during a normal week?

I've been away from home, visiting family in LA, for the week.  I've only been running for the past week, which has been a nice break from biking and swimming, but I sure am missing my bike!  May even get on for an easy spin tomorrow when I get home.  I seriously contemplated getting on the trainer at 11pm tomorrow night and then riding into the new year....we'll see!

2013-12-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Holy crap, Jason!  That is crazy....and awesome!  Were you off for the week and able to put in a bunch of extra volume, or is this on par with the volume you could (not necessarily would) put in during a normal week?

I've been away from home, visiting family in LA, for the week.  I've only been running for the past week, which has been a nice break from biking and swimming, but I sure am missing my bike!  May even get on for an easy spin tomorrow when I get home.  I seriously contemplated getting on the trainer at 11pm tomorrow night and then riding into the new year....we'll see!

1200+ TSS in a week....  riding the trainer at 11PM into the New Year....   I think we are reaching new levels of craziness here.  

2013-12-30 12:21 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TriAya

Originally posted by mndymond It's Maui time. Do do do do. Just watched my bike make it onto the plane!

I'm so jealous!  Have a great time!

I've been researching warm places to travel to all morning.  lol

Ha made me think when I lived in Hawaii, I volunteer to go to Antarctica for 6 months.

When was that?

Just for the record, you didn't fool anyone (i.e., me) with the username change back when I'd recognize those calves anywhere!

And for the rest of you rabble-rousin' tri-lovin' Utopes ... I just missed you too much to stay away. And Fred called me out in Tri Talk

It is insanely (in a good way, for a change) busy in my life and I now live between THREE different cities (Bali island, Jakarta, and Perth) just to keep it fun. Really happy with the drop-in, floating format here ... and continue to desperately need youses wisdom. Triathlon went from two people (before I moved back to Indonesia) here, to ten (shortly after I moved back) to well over a THOUSAND now and still exploding (as are the number of endurance and multisport events). It's all so very dizzying and wonderful.

Yanti, that's incredible growth, congrats for getting that going!  Simply amazing!

2013-12-30 12:31 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Commuting to work everyday helps pile up the TSS.  I did take 4 days off this month (use it or lose it vacation) to ride, but other than that one crazy 123 mile ride, most of my long rides were in the 50-65 mile range.

Riding on the trainer into the new year...now that's silly.

2013-12-30 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Just got done with 20' bike test. 

Improvement of 11W in 4 weeks. 271W to 282W today.  I just came off a recovery week of really low volume and legs felt great.  I dont think I can credit the Maker's Mark and Christmas cookies to that improvement.

If I can get 10W of improvement each month until April and then bring my run volume back up I will be very happy.

2013-12-30 1:18 PM

User image

Pro

Improvement of 11W in 4 weeks. 271W to 282W today.  I just came off a recovery week of really low volume and legs felt great.  I dont think I can credit the Maker's Mark and Christmas cookies to that improvement.

If I can get 10W of improvement each month until April and then bring my run volume back up I will be very happy.

Congrats on the +11W!

I've got a re-test scheduled for Jan 9. I'm curious to see what my improvement will be! I've been training hard for a stretch goal of a sub-2:35 Oly in March. It's still months away and it already feels like crunch-time.

2013-12-30 1:21 PM

User image

Nice job.  I'm hoping to see about 10 watts improvement from 6 weeks ago.  As part of my recovery, I small chain ringed it all the way to work.  Somewhere around 25 TSS points in 1:10...LOL.

2013-12-30 2:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Commuting to work everyday helps pile up the TSS.  I did take 4 days off this month (use it or lose it vacation) to ride, but other than that one crazy 123 mile ride, most of my long rides were in the 50-65 mile range.

Riding on the trainer into the new year...now that's silly.

Nice going with that total! It's amazing how fast you can rack things up when finding a nice range to work in, as opposed to looking for the biggest possible. Many of my rides tend to be in the 40-55 mile range as they're decent size and I can push well in them. They're also not too hard to repeat in the sense of at least several times a week and also from week to week. 

2013-12-30 4:25 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

James - I saw you post re Hokas and metatarsals.   I have very high arches and as a result an abnormally high load on the second metatarsal.   I'd like to reduce the load, as this seems to be a good source for injury.  What is your issue and how do the Hokas solve it?

Used them for two runs last year and they seemed to cause a bit of a knee issue, but only ran in them twice, and no need to swap pre IM.

Chris, I have a high arches as well with a neutral strike. My load is on # II Metatarsals right in front of the # II Phalanges proximales on the right foot. Check the link…. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetatarsusHokas Bond B has a flat bottom so that is helping as well because a rolled toe shoe will open the Metatarsals and put more pressure on my strike zone. I also went to a very short stride so all of the combinations is what is really doing the trick. I am running at 182 lbs in 9 ½ Hokas which is my size (logs are open). I hope that helps. edit link

James, I assume by "II" you mean the second (first one in from the big toe)?  When I had my x rays the doc said my second metatarsal and meta-head were larger than the others, when they should be the same, indicating a high load.  I also am just generally tight in the feet, and my toes at rest stick up nearly straight to vertical,so also looking at a flatter toe box... 

thanks

2013-12-30 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nice work!  I'll likely be testing next week - haven't done one since the spring.  I'm hoping for some sort of improvement, just not sure how much.  Recent numbers in training suggest it should be up.  Tomorrow's workout should be a good indicator I think.

2013-12-30 4:47 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I stopped to help a guy push his car out of a snowbank on the way home today.  It's amazing how I can regularly train 10+ hours/week and that 20 seconds that I spent lifting up the front of his car and pushing back has left my traps and up the back of my neck in a state of paralysis (that might be a slight exaggeration...).

/whine

2013-12-30 5:07 PM

User image

I stopped to help a guy push his car out of a snowbank on the way home today.  It's amazing how I can regularly train 10+ hours/week and that 20 seconds that I spent lifting up the front of his car and pushing back has left my traps and up the back of my neck in a state of paralysis (that might be a slight exaggeration...).

/whine

that's better than a kona humblebrag....

2013-12-30 5:19 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

James - I saw you post re Hokas and metatarsals.   I have very high arches and as a result an abnormally high load on the second metatarsal.   I'd like to reduce the load, as this seems to be a good source for injury.  What is your issue and how do the Hokas solve it?

Used them for two runs last year and they seemed to cause a bit of a knee issue, but only ran in them twice, and no need to swap pre IM.

Chris, I have a high arches as well with a neutral strike. My load is on # II Metatarsals right in front of the # II Phalanges proximales on the right foot. Check the link…. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetatarsusHokas Bond B has a flat bottom so that is helping as well because a rolled toe shoe will open the Metatarsals and put more pressure on my strike zone. I also went to a very short stride so all of the combinations is what is really doing the trick. I am running at 182 lbs in 9 ½ Hokas which is my size (logs are open). I hope that helps. edit link

James, I assume by "II" you mean the second (first one in from the big toe)?  When I had my x rays the doc said my second metatarsal and meta-head were larger than the others, when they should be the same, indicating a high load.  I also am just generally tight in the feet, and my toes at rest stick up nearly straight to vertical,so also looking at a flatter toe box... 

thanks

I have a loose foot and very flexible ankle. Gives me an advantage in the water swimming but not so much running.

2013-12-30 6:41 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

/whine

that's better than a kona humblebrag....

It was only a compact

coming soon to a training plan near you - Hyundai Elantra deadlifts.

2013-12-30 8:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

/whine

Know what you mean. I've come back from a swim and a neighbor was stuck in the driveway. Shared townhouse section, so no choice but to help move her. No clue how to rock the vehicle either. I tried explaining, but she was just lost on it. I should get a reinforced bumper to push people. Felt ok right after, but was rather sore later.

2013-12-31 7:16 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

For the power Utopians.  

When you are going to do a 20 min test, do you set a target power that you think you can hold and if so what do you base it on?  Looking back at my previous tests last winter it seems that what I was doing in something like 5 x 5 in the weeks prior, I could do the 20 min test at 5-10w above that.  Any other indicators I might look at?

Trying to wrap my head around what to shoot for next week.

2013-12-31 7:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-12-31 7:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-31 7:53 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

Most 'failed' 20' tests for me were the result of going out too hard early.

Which is what happened to me last time and what I'd like to avoid.  

2013-12-31 7:53 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

It was only a compact

As you well know, I usually recommend a compact for triathletes ;-)

Well done!

2013-12-31 8:42 AM

Pro
NJ
Hi SBR. Just stopped by to say Happy New Year! Thanks for all the guidance in 2013. Much appreciated. I'm planning to hang with Marc's power group for a while and learn how to get the most out of my trainer this winter. I had a bit of a hiccup with a fall (ice, trail) and am dealing with that right now. displaced extra-articular radius. closed reduction in ED but stil just a splint as ortho is waiting a few more days before ruling out surgery. Of course it was right/dominant hand. But I'm signed up for Timberman and a couple bike tours in 2014. Looking forward to some good riding in the year ahead. Hope you all have a great start in 2014!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21067 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37254 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19765 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24246 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16043 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.