BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2014-05-06 10:17 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Jason N

What did you do post race?  I always find that keeping blood flow, foam rolling, or using "the stick" really helps prevent next day soreness and stiffness.  It always seems I'm the most sore when I do a hard workout or race and just sit on my butt or not move around.

Post race massage (on site), lots of stretching at the race and on the shuttle for the next 45min, light walk with my daughter later, and then moving around at a backyard party for most of the afternoon.  I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't actually bend over as soon as I was finished - quads rather than my back were the issue.

Yeah, Neil - welcome to it. And what you are probably finding out today is the second day after is worse than the first. But it gets better after today. You are experiencing what I almost always felt like after a hard race (even an olympic tri) for years and years. I just thought that is what everyone felt like and I could never figure out how in the world everyone got right back in to training after a hard race. The simple answer is (and you are not going to like it) you raced way too hard on undertrained legs. What will fix it is time and consistency. 

That said - fantastic race - congratulations on the PR! Just think what is possible if you can train consistently next time? ;^)

I think you and Arend hit the nail on the head.  I just ran much harder than I had trained for, and am paying for it now (I'm about 5-10% better today than yesterday).  I had to gut it out to maintain my pace over the last few km, but even with the pain now I wouldn't change anything I did on the day.  Going forward, I've got a solid result and pace and can build some training paces because of this race, and use them as I move forward with training this summer (whenever that shows up).

2014-05-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Need feedback from the group.  My legs are wrecked today after the HM yesterday, it's not the usual post race pains and soreness, it's far beyond that.  I can barely go up and down stairs or get in and out of my car, and earlier this evening my leg actually buckled on me.  I know I pushed myself yesterday, and knew I'd be sore, but not quite like this - and it was only a half!

So, why did I end feeling like this?  Was it a case of not enough total run miles, not enough long runs, long runs not long enough, or did it mostly have to do with the intensity level of the race pace.  In total, I've probably run less than an hour at what worked out to be race pace.  I'd like to figure this out so I don't dig myself such a deep hole after the next running race.

I can only reply from recent experience with a HM.  I was fairly well trained, but didn't taper - just inserted it at the end of a "rest & test" week.  Thing is, if I have a number on me, I'm RACING.  I thought that I wouldn't be able to go too hard, given I was training through it, but I pushed as hard as I always do in a race (and the last half mile was downhill after a 2 mile uphill - brutal).

So, I PR'd (by a ton) and just carried on with my training - hey, I was only training through so it shouldn't have been a problem, right?  

While I wasn't sore or trashed after the race, I now believe that pushing that hard and NOT treating the recovery with enough respect is the likely cause of my current overuse PFS in my left knee.  I should have taken a much easier week post the race (at least in my running - could have done more biking/swimming/strength instead), but went right back into a build phase.  Strained my hamstring the Thursday after when I added some very light intensity and then my knee the following Saturday after just not backing down on volume (damn you Strava!  It's all so visible when your hours drop - even if that's smart, it tough to see those smaller blue bars!).  

While I'm not sure why you are unusually sore (other than that you likely are mentally tough and can push your body to its limits - i.e., you're a RACER), I will suggest (from an uncomfortable place of experience) that you should now give the legs more of a recovery than you had planned.

Time is a funny thing.  With more miles under the hull, we can push ourselves perhaps even harder (proportionally) than in our youth.  At the same time, recovery just takes longer with each passing season…  Bad combo (and I'm just starting to feel its effects at 45).  

I hope it goes better for you than my recent adventures!

Matt

Matt - I'm going to take your lesson and learn from it, and thanks for posting this.  I did something similar las year when I came back from calf issues and jumped right back into hard intervals with the run group.  2 weeks later I developed an achilles issue and was sidelined from running for a month.

I will take it easy, I will take it easy, I will take it easy....

2014-05-06 12:19 PM

User image

So I hit the deck on Saturday.  Lucky to escape with minor road rash and the bike is generally okay.  Could have been a lot worse though.  We were just leaving a regrouping spot at the top of a hill and there were about 20 of us in the group.  I got caught near the back, so I waited for an opening and accelerated to bridge to the guys at the front.  I was out of the saddle...nothing crazy, and after I got a gap on the main group my chain locked up.  Still out of the saddle, my right foot had nowhere to go and unclipped as my front wheel jerked the other direction.  It happened so fast I barely had time to even think "oh $%&#".  I was at around 30 mph and the next thing I know I'm sliding across the road.  I must have landed on my left side, then rolled over on my stomach for a split second, then back onto my right side as I was using my shoes as brakes.  My bike now behind me, but I see my front wheel bouncing next to me.  As I come to a stop, I pop to my feet, grab my wheel, and turn around to start dodging the other riders behind me.

It was crazy.  Only a couple other guys went down...one stopped right before my bike and gently fell over onto his hands and another guy fell over and landed on his tailbone.  He went to the hospital for x-rays, which were negative.  I was fine, and caught a ride back from a friend as my front wheel had some damage on the brake track from sliding on the road and the skewer was bent.

Root cause I believe was an extremely worn chain that was not sitting well on my crank and/or cassette...causing the chain to pop off while out of the saddle.  Maybe in combination with hitting a small bump.

The silly thing was that I was supposed to have taken care of all of that Friday night, but decided to wait till Saturday after the ride.  Time wise it made sense because it was a 4 hour job in total, but it was pretty embarrassing to see how worn the chain was once I tried to measure it.  I probably had around 8k miles on it. 

I did manage to ride today...got in a decent amount of climbing...of course after taking care of all the necessary maintenance on my bike.

Dude - you JUST posted this last week!!!!!!!!

So I've got a big road bike project this weekend.

New cables/housings
New hood covers
New handlebar tape
New chain
New wifli rear derailleur
New headset bearings

Maybe I should have just bought a new bike...LOL.

VERY glad you are OK - heading down to the basement to do some deferred bike maintenance now....

Well...technically...I did finish all that maintenance on the weekend I said I would.  

2014-05-06 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Nicole - fantastic job out there - that is a crazy PR on a 1/2IM! Thanks also to the group for posting updates - I was driving and coudn't check updates - it was good to get the emails.

Nicole - as you were getting ready for this race and posting such great training I couldn't help but think back two years ago when you joined the group. I think it was right after your accident and you were getting ready for surgery, and you were wondering if you would even ever be able to run again. Then after surgery you did that CRAZY sufferfest challenge and continued to have a wonky knee for a while after that, right? So, for all of us that either have, are, or will suffer an injury, your case is a great one. You never lost sight of the long-term goal of getting better (well, maybe after that sufferfest thing ) and you maintained the consistency to get it right.

A HUGE congratulations to you and to many, many more years of good health!!!

Thank you, Rusty!  You are absolutely right -- I had my accident in July, 2012, surgery in January, 2013 (followed almost immediately by the crazy Tour of Sufferlandria!),  "raced" Vineman 70.3 in July, 2013....and then finally started running again in September, 2013.  I knew what I wanted, but I had to be patient.  It was hard....I'm not a very patient person, but I had no choice. 

So when SG 70.3 finally rolled around and I'd built up a decent base, my big goal was to run the entire run leg -- and I did it!  I might not be the fastest out there, but I can keep going for a good long time.  I don't think I can even express how rewarding it was to cross that finish line.  So, so happy!!

[happy enough that I've already signed up for another 70.3!]

2014-05-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

What did you do post race?  I always find that keeping blood flow, foam rolling, or using "the stick" really helps prevent next day soreness and stiffness.  It always seems I'm the most sore when I do a hard workout or race and just sit on my butt or not move around.

Post race massage (on site), lots of stretching at the race and on the shuttle for the next 45min, light walk with my daughter later, and then moving around at a backyard party for most of the afternoon.  I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't actually bend over as soon as I was finished - quads rather than my back were the issue.

Yeah, Neil - welcome to it. And what you are probably finding out today is the second day after is worse than the first. But it gets better after today. You are experiencing what I almost always felt like after a hard race (even an olympic tri) for years and years. I just thought that is what everyone felt like and I could never figure out how in the world everyone got right back in to training after a hard race. The simple answer is (and you are not going to like it) you raced way too hard on undertrained legs. What will fix it is time and consistency. 

That said - fantastic race - congratulations on the PR! Just think what is possible if you can train consistently next time? ;^)

I think you and Arend hit the nail on the head.  I just ran much harder than I had trained for, and am paying for it now (I'm about 5-10% better today than yesterday).  I had to gut it out to maintain my pace over the last few km, but even with the pain now I wouldn't change anything I did on the day.  Going forward, I've got a solid result and pace and can build some training paces because of this race, and use them as I move forward with training this summer (whenever that shows up).

Neil, I raced Vineman 70.3 last year on no (zero, zilch) run training.  My plan was to crush the swim and bike, and then walk it in.  Of course, when I got to the run, I just couldn't walk....so I ran for as long as I could.  My run was slow -- I probably ran 60-70% of it and walked the rest.  But I was hurting for days after.  You know the "can't even sit down unassisted" kind of hurting...

Fast forward to this year: I just finished SG70.3 with some actual run training, and on a much harder course, in a significantly faster time, my legs bounced back surprisingly well.  Standing up, sitting down, climbing/descending stairs, biking, running -- not intimidating this time around

So I definitely agree with what Rusty, Arend, and Jason have said -- raced way too hard on untrained legs, and now you're paying for it.  Luckily, there's a fairly simple solution to it.  Regardless, that's a smoking fast time -- can't wait to see what you can do when you're in the full swing of training!

2014-05-06 7:57 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

2014-05-07 11:46 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Great RR Nicole!
2014-05-07 12:18 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Birthday for me today, so to "celebrate" this morning I got a DEXA scan (Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorbtiometry) to measure bone density and give an accurate body fat/muscle mass analysis, a VO2 test to measure oxygen uptake and absorption, and an RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) test to measure (basically) metabolic rate. The VO2 test seems to have been a bust compared to my previous tests; it reported a way, way low result - so low in fact the tech picked it up as an error in the middle of the actual test. Theory is it was due to lingering lung congestion remaining from this stupid low-grade cold I have been recovering from. Will re-test in about three weeks. The good news is bone density is through the roof, metabolism is about 10% higher than the "average" 48 year old, and BF is about as low as it should be: 9.6%, which correlates to somewhere between 4.0~6.0% in a hydrostatic or Bod Pod test.

Don't think I have mentioned it here, but back last fall someone mentioned a weight-loss challenge and I silently signed on. For the last several years I have been training at 160~162lbs, and racing Ironman at 156~158 (I am 5'-10"). I knew that was a "little" heavy, but didn't really think focused weight loss fit with IM training (for me). This year the focus has been getting some of my old speed back, and I knew weight loss would be an important component in successfully attaining that goal. So I have been slightly run focused while actively working to maintain my swim and FTP on the bike, all while actively focusing on weight loss through the simple act of calories in < calories out. Swim is a little off but FTP is the same; the big difference obviously is the power to weight ratio and I am running and climbing better than I have in a very long time. In November I was 172lbs (yikes!) Current weight today was 142lbs for an FTP of 3.9. Happy birthday to me!

2014-05-07 2:00 PM

User image

Happy Birthday Rusty.  Instead of all that testing (basically a way for the tester to tell me I'm fat ), I would have just gotten a new bike.  But then I remember you're already rolling on a Felt IA...so I suppose the new bike can wait till your 49th birthday.    Congrats on the weight loss and good test results as well.  Hard work pays off.

2014-05-07 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Ontario

Wow Rusty - that's quite the weight drop.  The lowest I've been down to is 147lbs (6'1), but I was getting all sorts of comments at that weight.  I want your watts/kg number!!!  But that means I need to work harder...

Oh, and Happy Birthday of course.

Edited by GoFaster 2014-05-07 2:51 PM
2014-05-07 9:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-05-08 8:03 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Fred D . Happy birthday! Are you serious that you dropped 30 lbs in 5-6 months?

Yeah, I know - not the smartest approach...

The first 10~12 pounds were the "extra" that I always seem to put on when tri season ends for me and work fires up when the fall semester begins: consistent training takes a back seat and eating well also takes a little bit of a hit as I always seem to be traveling/entertaining for work so much during the fall. That came off really quickly like always when consistent training kicked back in, but continued to come off rather quickly as I was also running a calorie deficit. I used My Fitness Pal to track calories in and out; here is a screen shot from when I began so you can see how the progression went:

Rusty - My Fitness Pal

So what you can see is that I lost the bulk of the weight in four months (In December I only counted calories in every day just to get familiar, but did not restrict anything). In January was when I began the restriction in earnest. We eat fairly clean, so for the most part it just meant eating less (go figure, right?). The biggest change for me was I went about 120 days without drinking a single calorie, which of course meant no Alcohol (OH, THE HUMANITY!) but bigger for me was no cream or sugar in coffee or tea. A BIG change for me as I think I am primarily fueled on cream and sugar. I already don't drink sodas or juice, so that was not a problem. Only real other change in the diet was to pay attention a little more to make sure I was getting enough protein in, and while I didn't do it on purpose I have been eating a lot less bread-ish stuff, but that comes from just considering the caloric value vs. satiation of everything I eat. At the moment I seem to be at a maintainable point; my maintenance caloric intake seems to be right around 2100 calories, which was fairly well verified by my RMR test yesterday (which reported 1627 "resting" calories + 486 "lifestyle" calories). You put daily training calories on top of that and that is actually a lot of food when really think about it. Will be interesting to see what happens when September rolls around.

Last night for my birthday I had 2.5 glasses of wine and a small chocolate mousse. I came home and passed out.

2014-05-08 8:28 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Wow, impressive Rusty.  My Myfitnesspal graph looks nothing like that...

I already drink my coffee black, might have a drink once in a blue moon (it's been at least 3-4 months) and don't drink any juice or soda.  I just plain old eat too much.  I love my carbs.

2014-05-08 9:13 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Wow, lots going on!

Nicole, awesome job. Read your RR. Followed you a bit in the power group too. Great progress. You should be very happy with what you've accomplished the past few months.

Rusty, Happy Birthday! I think you might be my hero. I'll be using you for some inspiration. I can't imagine how much better you feel running and riding. When I lose 5 I can notice quite a bit on climbs and running. I definitely have an extra 20 on me right now. It'd be crazy climbing that much lighter.
2014-05-08 9:41 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Nicole, impressive, indeed!  

Rusty - happy birthday!  That's amazing to me.  

I'm a couple inches shorter and peak season race weight is ~155-158 (I'm at 158 now, even with the limited activity - for which I'm thankful).  Last season there was briefly a rumor around our neighborhood that I was sick and might have cancer (no joke), as at or below 160 my face gets pretty thin (even if my handles don't go away) - until I "admitted" that I was running tri's (too many people in this town are very "tri-forward," so I tend to be lower key about the whole thing - as no one else actually cares, of course!).  Then everyone was all, "Oh, in that case you look great.  Really."  Ummmmm, OK.   

I can't imagine the discipline that it takes to drop that percentage of weight - especially considering you were hardly obese to start!  It seems much harder than diligently putting in crazy training hours (to me).  Did you find it so?  

Matt

2014-05-08 10:07 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Rusty:  I am impressed you were able to maintain power levels on the bike with that big drop. 

Nice way to improve the w/kg!!

2014-05-08 12:10 PM
in reply to: rymac

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by rymac

Rusty:  I am impressed you were able to maintain power levels on the bike with that big drop. 

No kidding!  That's very impressive! 

About a month ago, I crashed like two pounds and very suddenly all of my workouts were sucking.  I added in some calories (tried to keep it to good fats like avocado) and things turned around pretty quickly. 

Happy (belated) birthday, Rusty!  Congrats on the weight loss and huge power-to-weight gain

2014-05-08 2:27 PM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Originally posted by ligersandtions

St. George 70.3 race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=515698&posts=1#M4992614 

Smokin fast race!!! Great report!!!!

Congrats!!!

2014-05-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: Rudedog55

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Happy Birthday Fred!!!!!

And happy Belated birthday Rusty!!!!

2014-05-08 5:39 PM
in reply to: Rudedog55

2014-05-08 5:41 PM

2014-05-08 9:19 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Rudedog55 Happy Birthday Fred!!!!! And happy Belated birthday Rusty!!!!

Thanks!

Age up next year

Happy birthday Fred!

2014-05-09 8:15 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D . Happy birthday! Are you serious that you dropped 30 lbs in 5-6 months?

Yeah, I know - not the smartest approach...

The first 10~12 pounds were the "extra" that I always seem to put on when tri season ends for me and work fires up when the fall semester begins: consistent training takes a back seat and eating well also takes a little bit of a hit as I always seem to be traveling/entertaining for work so much during the fall. That came off really quickly like always when consistent training kicked back in, but continued to come off rather quickly as I was also running a calorie deficit. I used My Fitness Pal to track calories in and out; here is a screen shot from when I began so you can see how the progression went:

So what you can see is that I lost the bulk of the weight in four months (In December I only counted calories in every day just to get familiar, but did not restrict anything). In January was when I began the restriction in earnest. We eat fairly clean, so for the most part it just meant eating less (go figure, right?). The biggest change for me was I went about 120 days without drinking a single calorie, which of course meant no Alcohol (OH, THE HUMANITY!) but bigger for me was no cream or sugar in coffee or tea. A BIG change for me as I think I am primarily fueled on cream and sugar. I already don't drink sodas or juice, so that was not a problem. Only real other change in the diet was to pay attention a little more to make sure I was getting enough protein in, and while I didn't do it on purpose I have been eating a lot less bread-ish stuff, but that comes from just considering the caloric value vs. satiation of everything I eat. At the moment I seem to be at a maintainable point; my maintenance caloric intake seems to be right around 2100 calories, which was fairly well verified by my RMR test yesterday (which reported 1627 "resting" calories + 486 "lifestyle" calories). You put daily training calories on top of that and that is actually a lot of food when really think about it. Will be interesting to see what happens when September rolls around.

Last night for my birthday I had 2.5 glasses of wine and a small chocolate mousse. I came home and passed out.

Awesome!

I can't imagine myself at that weight. I'm currently at 5'11 at 163 lbs and that is pretty close to race weight. Maybe 160 for perfect.

I don't think I would race well at 142 myself.

How tall are you Rusty?

Yes, that's quite a bit! I can't see getting to where Fred is at. Rusty is below my lean body mass (theoretical 0% BF). Been floating at 175-177 lately (I'm 4" taller) and it's pretty thin. I have to be really careful to maintain energy. I have dropped some from the start of the year, but can only do about 1% a month at most. Been going at less. Otherwise I'll be ravenously hungry all the time and have low energy level.

2014-05-09 10:30 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hey, thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone - and a belated happy birthday to you Fred! Seems like over the past four years I would have picked up on the fact that we almost shared the same birthday. Since you are aging up next year I am going to make SURE to avoid racing with you until 2016 when I age up.... :^)

Originally posted by JAYCTIt'd be crazy climbing that much lighter.

Yeah - both climbing and running this much lighter is a little nuts. Probably the main thing that kept me focused on the task at hand. Swimming has fallen off a bit as my balance in the water is all screwy. I have been on a maintenance-only plan f(8k~9k yards per week) for the past 5 months, so expected to lose just a tad, but my coach guess that I have probably lost an additional 1~2 seconds per 100 just with the loss of buoyancy. Been swimming with a band and it seems to be making a difference in getting my balance back. After next week I should be able to bump weekly swimming back to 13~14k yards, so that should help a bunch.

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5I can't imagine the discipline that it takes to drop that percentage of weight - especially considering you were hardly obese to start!  It seems much harder than diligently putting in crazy training hours (to me).  Did you find it so?  

Matt

Matt, I was actually really surprised at how easy it was. The immediate performance gains were a big motivating factor of course, but although I specialize in teaching outcome-focused processes, left to my own devices I can be fairly task-oriented. My coach and a sports nutritionist worked together to put together the plan (my coach instigated it really back in November when he said "you know, if you REALLY want to get faster....) So while I recorded data everyday I didn't really obsess about the daily ups and downs and just stuck with the plan. I somehow managed to hit every workout and calorie target perfectly for 4 months straight. The other thing that kept me on target was to read Fitgerald's "Racing Weight" the month before we started, and then I kept reading up or listening to podcasts for a little bit of time each day on the topic just to keep my head in the game. It is a little trick I play on my students, and I figured "what is good for the goose" and all.

Originally posted by rymac

Yes, that was my fear as well. But I found this route to be MUCH EASIER than actually doing the hard work to increase FTP - ha ha!

like Nicole and others mentioned I too have suffered significant performance hits in the past when I have crashed my weight on my own. This time around I had a more structured, intentional plan put together by my coach who I have worked with for the past 4 years, and he has come to know me very well. I am actually fairly certain that I have lost some muscle mass and functional strength over the past 4 months. But what has been impressed upon me is that we can get really sideways when we confuse "strength" for "power." "Power" as we use it is just the result of a mathematical formula that combines angular force and cadence. As everyone quickly learns when they begin to use a power meter, generally speaking increasing angular force taxes your muscular strength/endurance while increasing cadence taxes your cardiovascular strength/endurance. Since we knew I would most likely be losing some functional strength, we worked a little to maintain it but really hit the cardiovascular system hard. That worked well with the weight loss, as being significantly lighter made hard efforts that much more easier to recover from and repeat with less chance of injury. We are starting a bit of a strength building block now to see if I can get some of that back.

Awesome!

I can't imagine myself at that weight. I'm currently at 5'11 at 163 lbs and that is pretty close to race weight. Maybe 160 for perfect.

I don't think I would race well at 142 myself.

How tall are you Rusty?

Fred, I am 5'-10". I have always thought that 156lbs was my "perfect" race weight - and it may very well be. The early results from a duathlon and a 5k show otherwise though, and I have been killing climbing PRs in the mountains. The true tale of the tape will be a couple of weeks at my first tri of the season. It is a race I was really looking forward to as I have data from several previous years, but this year they have completely change the entire swim, bike, and run courses due to lake repairs. Ah, well.

Originally posted by brigby1

Yes, that's quite a bit! I can't see getting to where Fred is at. Rusty is below my lean body mass (theoretical 0% BF). Been floating at 175-177 lately (I'm 4" taller) and it's pretty thin. I have to be really careful to maintain energy. I have dropped some from the start of the year, but can only do about 1% a month at most. Been going at less. Otherwise I'll be ravenously hungry all the time and have low energy level.

Ben, my only regret is that I was not smart enough to get the DEXA scan done before I started this block. I thought I had a pretty good idea of where I was from a body composition standpoint, but based on the numbers the scan returned my guess would have been WAY wrong. Here are my actual numbers:

Total Mass: 146.7lbs
Tissue: 140.2lbs
Fat: 13.5lbs
Lean: 126.7lbs
BMC (Bone Mineral Content): 6.5lbs

It is also kinda cool in that it tells you WHERE you are carrying the various tissues:

Arms: Fat: .9lbs, Lean: 15.5lbs, BMC: .9lbs
Legs: Fat: 5.3lbs, Lean: 43lbs, BMC: 2.7lbs
Trunk: Fat: 6.1lbs, Lean: 59.6lbs, BMC: 1.8lbs
Android: Fat: 1.1lbs, Lean: 8.2lbs, BMC: .1lbs
Gynoid: Fat: 3.3lbs, Lean: 1.9lbs, BMC: .7lbs

It then drills down even further into left/right asymmetries, but this is already too long and boring enough!!!!

And yeah, getting to know the difference between when my brain is hungry and my body is hungry has probably been the biggest challenge. Turns out that while I do eat very well for the most part, I also eat out of habit rather than actual hunger.

Whew! This was all typed on an iPad - sorry if the formatting or syntax is jacked up.

2014-05-09 12:39 PM

Seattle

Happy Birthday, guys!!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ---- Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21067 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37253 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19764 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24244 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16037 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.