Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » What bike should I get? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-28 7:32 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Subject: What bike should I get?
Hey guys
I'm just starting my journey as a triathlete and would like your advice on what bike to buy? I'm committed so I want something that will last as I progress. Is it a good idea to look for a used one for the first year?
Thx

2013-12-28 7:37 PM
in reply to: RobR

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: What bike should I get?
I did my first tri on my old mountain bike. if you have one, I would recommend putting some slicks on it and racing in that next year. After my first tri, I bought a used road bike and that lasted me through several seasons until I was ready to invest in a triathlon bike. That said, I started tris as a university student, so budget was a big concern.
2013-12-30 2:35 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

A road bike is a good option to start out with and you will see many people riding road bikes at the local races.  You can get good performance if you get decent specs - and it is versatile for riding in groups.  I got an entry level road bike to start.  It was an end of season deal - it was still more than I imagined spending on a bike but i do still ride it even though I have a tri bike now.  

I didn't go it alone when choosing though, my hubby made sure it had decent components and a good frame - mine is a 2007 bike but came with Shimano 105 and is an aluminum frame with carbon forks.   Again, it's still a great bike and I like riding it in the off season. 

2013-12-30 11:55 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

windsor, Ontario
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm planning on buying a road bike. Haven't rode a bike in over 20 years, so I'm planning on starting practicing on grass with an old mountain bike to start so I don't break my neck.
2014-01-01 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4919663

User image

I'm roughly in the same boat. I did two tris last year on a jamis commuter 1 and did ok. This year I'm looking for an entry road bike. Aluminum frame carbon forks and under 25 lbs that's my goal. Good luck to you.

The advice of trying a tri on a regular bike is good advice as ou might want to see if you like triathlons A triathlon is the hardest event I have ever competed in
2014-01-02 7:04 AM
in reply to: Brodzki

User image

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year - May we all be healthy for 2014 ( as well as stronger and faster)

This is the best time of the year to buy a bike - depending on your budget, you can get something amazing for around $1,000.00 with a decent frame and components. Depending on where you live - I can suggest a few places

Toronto - Cyclepath (Yonge and Eglinton) - speak to Mike as he is a friend of mine and will surely help you - Tell him that Jean (French) sent you in
Toronto - Brown Cycle (Bloor and South Kingsway) - just bought a pair of great MTB shoes - they had amazing deals on 2013 models (full carbon at $1,500.00)

I have been riding a Norco CCR 2 - full carbon bike for 2 years that I purchased at Cycle Path Norco in Toronto (Yonge & Eglinton) and I love this machine; the new line is now called Valence or Tactic; one of the Norco top bike was reviewed in Canadian Triathlete magazine in the spring / summer of 2013
My Tri bike is an Argon 18 E80 loaded with extras

Remember that you get what you pay for
I prefer SRAM components - the APEX groupo is a better buy than Shimano 105; if Shimano is your choice - stay with at least with Shimano 105 but Shimano Sora could do for an entry bike

Good luck on your search and keep us posted - don't be afraid to ask questions - lots of knowledge on this site

Jean - AG 45-49

2014-01-08 11:14 AM
in reply to: RobR

Congratulations on your decision to start triathlons this year! Welcome to a sport which will bleed your bank account dry if you let it.

I have been riding an aluminum frame road bike with sora/tiagra parts for the last 3 years at triathlons and it has served me pretty well. My only issue is that I didn't get shimano 105 parts or above on my initial road bike (or rival for SRAM equivalent). From what I've observed from my limited experience is that 105 parts are much smoother when shifting, this dramatically increases ride comfort and is important during the pre-climb gear adjustment.

Also, it is my personal belief that the versatility of road bike makes it the clear choice for new triathletes. The seating position is less compact making it more comfortable for the rider (to some extent), is less technically challenging for novice bikers (can be overwhelming on climbs and descents given the positioning of the brake and shift levers) and provides a great platform for developing biking technique and form. Furthermore, it gives the individual flexibility to ride with a group of other road bikers and attend road biking events.

I am actually hoping to get a tribike myself this coming spring, however I highly recommend getting a road bike first!

See you around at races this summer. Best of luck!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » What bike should I get? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Immaculate 2010 Trek Equinox Time trial/triathlon bike - COMPLETE BIKE

Started by ozzie123
Views: 2202 Posts: 2

2012-12-02 11:05 AM ozzie123

getting back to tri after becoming a new mommy

Started by nickih
Views: 1460 Posts: 4

2010-09-18 4:36 PM nickih

Devinci Bikes

Started by tristar1
Views: 933 Posts: 1

2008-04-25 3:04 PM tristar1

KHS Road Bikes

Started by tristar1
Views: 1354 Posts: 5

2008-04-23 8:06 PM Invigilator

London Bike Club

Started by Robb
Views: 938 Posts: 1

2007-07-03 3:34 PM Robb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.