BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-03-23 10:02 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
I was going to MTN bike yesterday. The weather was really nice and the trails dry for a change but I was too lazy and unmotivated to get out there. I was not too lazy to get my workout in and I did about 70 minutes on the bike and a 30 minute run following that. I finally did another Sufferfest workout, this one was Hell Hath No Fury. I really liked it, it's a good solid workout. It wasn't easy and I sort of messed up my power zones for the first 20 minute stage where I was riding 8 to 10 watts higher then I should have been. I'm thinking man I am not going to finish this then I realized my mistake lol. I still had to hang on there especially at the end for the time trail. I was smoked when I finished that workout lol. The Sufferfest videos are some really good and hard workouts. I will dare to say they are fun in some weird and sadistic way.

2014-03-24 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: My Races
My races...

Saturday's foot race was cool. 40's and it was forecast to be a windy day...it was, but not really in the morning during the race.
I warmed up a little, but not enough. I volunteered to help a family who was racing (husband and wife) by showing them 4 different places on the trail that made good vantage points for the Mother to walk to and cheer them on. That took away most of my warm-up time.

But I didn't feel as though I suffered much due to lack of sufficient warm-up. I guess I got lucky in that my body just felt pretty ready.

I stripped down at the starting line with about 60 seconds to go.
This time (unlike the past 2 years) I paced myself well. I started out quite leisurely. I usually pace running races very well, but the last few years there's been something about this race that has had me going out too hard, almost as if it were a 5k.
Therefore, I had somewhere around 15-20 people in front of me as we entered the trail. So I had no idea during the race where I was running in terms of placement. But I was more focused on running against the clock this year than in past years when I felt like I was racing people.

It worked out well. I felt as though I stayed within threshold throughout, including the steep and 'breathtaking' hills. I just slowed on down and kept my aerobic effort level consistent and as a result I was never slowed down after big climbs, I just returned to normal pace pretty well.

The trail was dry, so I used racing flats rather than my trail shoes. Either pair feel good when running trails, I don't know how much of a difference that might have made, if any.

Unlike past years where I would be passed by 2-3 people on the course after mile 1, no one passed me after 1/4 mile. This time I did the passing, including my final pass of a guy way out around mile 4. I think that is a good sign.

In the end, I don't know my overall placing, but I was beat by only 1 40+ guy (after 2 consecutive years as the Master's champ). Darn whippersnapper.
I PRd the course with a time of??? I think they said 1:09:40ish.

Now, I need to share a learning experience. I haven't been doing much trail running this winter because frankly, the weather is a bear for trail running and (perhaps more importantly) my heels always hurt significantly after a trail run so I've been avoiding them. So I wasn't in 'trail' shape.
Not only did my heels hurt brutally afterwards and on Sunday, but deep muscles in both the upper and lower legs are killing me as well as my pelvic bone and there's a small hamstring strain there too.

So when you've only been training on a treadmill at 8:00-8:30 pace all winter and then race 7:00 pace on trails for 15k, it's gonna hurt!

2014-03-24 6:41 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: My Races
Jeff congrats on your 15K trail run it sounds like you had a great race and you did a great job pacing yourself during the race on pretty tough course as you described it. I hear you to when it comes to those young guys lol.

While I'm always impressed by how you do in your races I'm especially impressed that you were able to achieve those results by doing all your training on the treadmill. I hope it bodes well for me too. I am doing a HM trail run in May and I've done like 95% of my running indoors on the treadmill. I'll be more trail running for here on out but it sounds like it didn't hurt you at all.

I hope you recover well from the race and are feeling better. Did you do the MTN bike race too?
2014-03-24 7:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jeff congrats on your race! Man Iam wishing i could get down to a 10 min mile and then I look at your times that is super fast especially on a trail!!

I got a hard/ good ride in on saturday and I was able to actually run outside yesterday it was a bit windy after I turned around but it defefnitly felt good! Got in my swim too and then today......Omg we did sprints with the trainer, after every few set of weights we had to sprint, And either meet or beat our last sprint plus i ran for 50 minutes before training with him and now........i am toast.

Edited by Jo63 2014-03-24 7:37 PM
2014-03-25 4:45 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Great race Jeff!  Yeah I can imagine your...........everything hurts after the race.  You answered another question I've been wondering for a while (but assumed correctly) that you opted out of having your heels fixed.  I'd say you did so well because you had a return on the investment of helping that family find places to observe the race.  There's almost always some sort of benefit when you help someone, sometimes it's seen and others it remains unseen, but there's something that happens that I feel changes something within us.

Now, I also know that you didn't need much "karma" to complete this race fast because you are.....FAST!

Congrats on the race!  And let us know if you chose to the bike race too since there was no mention of it.  I'm guessing you lost time to post about it since the subject is "My Races."

2014-03-25 5:18 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey all... I kind of went into rest/recovery mode after the last ultras and also decided that I wasn't getting enough pizza, ice cream and beer in my diet.
I also had a tremendous amount of work to get caught up on. -- I gave up facebook for lent and have really limited my online presence the past several weeks. It's really amazing how much mental attention is used to keep track of all the online activities.

I'm happy the weather seems to have warmed up for you all. I can't even imagine how nice it is for you all to get back outside.

I have been scanning and kind of keeping up with the posts.
I remember the first missionary experience I had in Peru/Bolivia. you all are right, something happens out there that is indescribable..
Dirk your "calm" in the face of your injury is inspiring.
Jeff, great job on the race.
I haven't heard of Flo wheels before... I use Hawk-Racing wheels, bottom brackets and derailleur pulleys.

I did back to back triathlons this past weekend Sprint on Saturday, Olympic on Sunday. I had scheduled them for a marker before the June event. unfortunately i wasn't really training for a few weeks prior to them and the results were obvious. I think I went for one bike ride in a several weeks prior. although i will say that i felt confident throughout.

Training begins again this week. I have a HM on Saturday- I got a free entry (I'm using it as a training run: Two times 6 x 5 minutes at tempo pace increasing to 120% for the last 30 seconds of each set with 1:30 minutes marathon pace between sets ) and a 100k group ride on Sunday and will run off the bike after that.

good to be back.... woot woot

2014-03-25 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Here's the line from the official results. 1:23 improvement over last year. I'll take that!

2012: 8th Jeff Yeager M 45 1:12:21 Columbia TN
2013: 8th Jeff Yeager M 46 1:11:14 Columbia TN
2014 7th Jeff Yeager M 47 1:09:51 Columbia TN

And yes, I did do the mtb race on Sunday. I was feeling like I'd been in a bar fight on Saturday...and lost. But I still did the mtb race.
I'll add details when I get a few minutes later on.

2014-03-25 8:32 PM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Welcome back Terry!  I was recently wondering if we had lost you.  I'm glad you've stuck around, although I have never heard of someone giving up facebook for Lent.  Which brings to mind that my oldest daughter gave up fast food for Lent and then 2 days later, as we were sitting in Wendy's having lunch, she informed me that was what she had done.  Uhh yeah?!?!  She got busted pretty short into it.  

It also appears you've kept yourself busy scheduling races.  You have a very aggressive schedule to say the least.  Keep training and I look forward to reading your race reports.  Let us know how your races turn out so we can celebrate with you.

2014-03-26 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by tmoons

• ... rest/recovery ... I wasn't getting enough pizza, ice cream and beer in my diet.

• Calories!!! Very important factor in recovery.
    That's the primary day to day concern...but as I found out last season, it seems as though the nutritional content of those calories will make a difference in the medium term.
    No 1 meal or even a day (or a week if you want to push it) will matter, but if you are chronically deprived of necessary micro nutrients then things go south.

But quite seriously, calories are key to recovery. And it's still OK to lose weight through calorie restriction, but that will drive home how valuable calories are for recovery when you feel like crud the whole time!

But hey Terry!!! Welcome back!
    2014-03-26 12:49 PM

User image

Master
    Columbia, TN
    Ok, so my mtb race last Sunday....

The weather called for rain Saturday night and cold and pretty much horrible weather conditions (don't forget loads of wind). This rain has a curse on it and Satan is allowed to rule the weather that day every year for some reason. (that exhibits some of my very disappointing past experiences with this race).

So I was questioning whether I was going to do it at all. Fortunately the Cat 2 races didn't start until 1pm, so I woke up and the sky was partly cloudy, the sun was bright and I knew my daughter was going to be there racing...so I decided I should go for her sake. I'm not sure if I was even planning to ride at that point, but just be there for her.

But with the wind and the sun things seemed like they might turn out OK even though the woods dry out slower than a chunk of iron running through a strainer...
    The weather data said that there had only been .2 inches of rain at that location overnight.

Once I got there it looked pretty good and I actually did go about getting ready to race. The wind was cold (temp was under 50 even then in the middle of the day), but in the woods there was no wind. Just in the open field where you really didn't spend any time during the race.

I went and rode the 1st mile of the race course twice for warmup. This is the hardest (technically) section of the course with some complicated boulder-strewn climbs. At first I felt really awkward and all over the trail. I was also tentative in the curves because I didn't know how wet they were. Fortunately there was only 1 wet spot in that section of the course and I learned how to navigate that by riding the line where mud met grass. (the grass acts like a berm to stop sliding).

I got to those complicated climbs and made it up them both with no issues at all....one of them I'm 50/50 on making and the other I only make about 10% of the time.

So I went around and did it again and the 2nd time felt loose and smooth (bike handling-wise) and made both climbs again.

I still felt VERY sore in the legs, deep under the calves, deep under the quads, strained hammie, and of course my Achilles attachment points!

I really didn't feel like a victorious well-oiled, super-trained endurance athlete at all. I felt like a guy that's been beat up and his ribs are broken and his nose is broken and he's thinking about getting in the ring for a title fight.
    "please don't hurt me!"

My plan was to let the race start slow. Of course the rest of the field goes off like a pack of elementary school kids at the school's fund raiser 5k. (full sprint!). This is because the trail is all single-track and passing isn't very easy once you are in the trail. So there's about 100 yards of open grass before everyone goes in to the funnel and becomes single file.
    I didn't want to contest the hole-shot because more often than not, I either get red-lined and suffer immensely until I blow up, or I crash in the scrum where everyone funnels down. And I didn't feel like I was in the kind of shape after Saturday's race to hit it hard like that.

So I just lined up behind all the other guys and when we took off I just cruised calmly in the back. Just before entering the woods a guy ahead of me insisted on dropping back behind me because "he had just had surgery". So I was truly last place at the start (20 men in category).

When we first enter the trail it gets narrow, goes down, takes a hard right, goes up and does a U-turn down again. It's kinda crazy getting 20 men in a big hurry through all that and it worked without any crashes!
    Then there's a straight down hill where we hit 20mph and a long, steep uphill that you can get to the top of as long as you went nuts for speed on the run-up. That was cool and I think I passed someone there right around the top of that.

I just took it easy following behind guys and glad to be starting slow and smart, but also recognizing that I could be resting at quite a bit faster pace than the guy in front of me.

Soon we came to a grassy area and I passed a guy. But the next pass didn't happen until one of those rocky climbs I talked about. I made a pass at the top of that where there are 2 different routes up and over a ledge. I called out to the guy I was behind and asked him which route he was going to take. He answered and I took the other one. The pass was successful for both of us as neither of us flubbed up that rock ledge and neither one had to slow down to change positions.

I can't remember all the passes I made but I was surprised at how long in to the race I kept finding and passing guys in my race. Even in the 2nd lap of the race (2 x 9miles) I passed a guy in my division. We talked a little as I passed him and he explained that he had 'blown up'. That's a very painful experience to be going too fast and desperately holding it no matter how painful...Once you surpass your pain tolerance level and are forced to slow down your competitive aspirations are over and you endured huge amounts of suffering for nothing...

There were the 50+ guys that started 2 minutes behind us. Some of these guys are very good (cat 1 and 2 were mixed in that age group) and 2 of them passed me during my first lap, while I saw 2 more catch me on my last lap (within 1/4 of the end!). This includes a good friend and fellow triathlete, Duane. He can't beat me on the road (bike, run or tri) but when we go off-road he usually beats me on the bike and sometimes a whole tri. Obviously he's a respectable mtn biker, but many times when we are mtn biking together I leave him behind and have to wait up for him...somehow he's got that skill of being 'on' when he's racing. He seldom just blows a race.

So it turns out that I put in 2 46:xx ish laps and with the open field we started/finished in and rode through between laps it's longer than the official trail and those times might match up to the 45 minute laps I did the weekend before.
    I didn't really slow down, which is good....but the 2nd lap I felt much more confident in the turns and in my traction and really handled some sections aggressively which I didn't dare do the first lap, yet wasn't actually faster....so I have to admit it was fatigue setting in and it probably had a lot to do with the hard 15k race the previous day.

But what I feel really good about is the fact that I didn't go out too hard and the entire race felt comfortable aerobically. It was nice to have a race feel good like that. Even though I was putting out good hard effort later in the race, there's something about starting easy and easing in to the effort that makes a maximum effort 'comfortable' somehow....ie. Not painful.
    I guess I felt that way the day before in the 15k run also.

I should try that in a triathlon this season...

Ok, so how did it turn out? I had no idea out on the course and wasn't even giving a moment's though to placing in my race. I began the race feeling so beat up and timid that I hadn't even planned on doing well and being competitive.
    But in the end I had moved up from 20th to 6th. I don't know how many of the guys in front of me were within the few minutes I could realistically think to have cut if I weren't blocked by slower riders for the first 3 miles, but it doesn't matter.

I do expect to be fighting for the hole shot in upcoming mtn bike races. If nothing else, being behind a fast rider pulls me along faster than I would otherwise go when the terrain in twisty. So I will actually go faster in that case than if I'm on my own or leading a group. But I may not have any more mtn bike races.
    There is one likely race the last Sunday in April. I will be in Winder, GA for an Xterra on Saturday and will stay for the mtb race the following day. Morgan will go with me and do the mtb race and I will make the call on that race the morning of.

Next up: Ragnar Trail Atlanta. 4/4 - 4/6.
    2014-03-26 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Sidney, Ohio
    Jeff, I always like your recaps! The descriptions puts you right into the race and I can see everything going on. Great job and nive work on the even effort. That is something I have tried to do multiple times but never seems to workout, I prefer the implosion around mile 2!

2014-03-26 7:57 PM
    in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Jeff great race recap as Matt said I also enjoy reading your race reports as you always give all the details and you make me feel like I'm actually in the race. Congrats on the 6th place finish that is pretty impressive especially considering you ran the 15K the day before and you weren't feeling 100%. Like you said it isn't easy to make passes on the trail when it's single file so it is actually pretty amazing that you were able to pull off the many passes. You did a great job.

I don't think everyone realizes how tough MTN biking is especially when it's wet. I always feel like what you do on the trail would really be double what you'd do on the road so that 18 miles is a pretty long distance on the MTN bike. I think it seems that being a little more patient at the start of the race really paid off for you. You paced yourself very well throughout the race. I'd bet that this approach would work well for you in your other races as well.

Terry welcome back glad to hear that you are doing well. I hope you enjoyed some of the down time you had from training because it seems like your schedule is ramping up again. I'm sure the rest you had will go a long way.
    2014-03-27 4:58 PM
    in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
    Fort Wayne

Sounds like a great race Jeff!  I keep saying someday to a mountain bike, and I guess I'll keep saying it for a while.  There's just so much a guy can justify spending money on.

Anyway, I like the attitude of taking the race as it came to you rather than bolting and suffering so much (At least in this case).  With all you have to deal with following your running races I imagine the additional extreme exertion  of any sort somewhat make your recovery even more difficult to deal with.  Starting at your own pace and not being caught up in the fray is part of my problem at times and I know how it is to get bitten and suffer later for it.

Congrats on another great weekend of racing!  You can always put it together when you need to.

BTW, after seeing the pics of Morgan on FB, how'd she do?  And how's Jordan doing in Georgia?

2014-03-27 6:04 PM

User image

Master
    Columbia, TN
    Originally posted by DirkP

Sounds like a great race Jeff!  I keep saying someday to a mountain bike, and I guess I'll keep saying it for a while.  There's just so much a guy can justify spending money on.

Anyway, I like the attitude of taking the race as it came to you rather than bolting and suffering so much (At least in this case).  With all you have to deal with following your running races I imagine the additional extreme exertion  of any sort somewhat make your recovery even more difficult to deal with.  Starting at your own pace and not being caught up in the fray is part of my problem at times and I know how it is to get bitten and suffer later for it.

Congrats on another great weekend of racing!  You can always put it together when you need to.

BTW, after seeing the pics of Morgan on FB, how'd she do?  And how's Jordan doing in Georgia?

Morgan did just fine. One year ago exactly (this same race) was her first Cat 3 mtn bike race. This season she has moved up to Cat 2 and this was her 2nd race so far.
    She placed 7th out of 9 that day. But they were giving out awards 9 deep so she got some good SWAG from the table. It was cool...I got a $60 Stan's tubeless kit!
    She got herself a VERY bright rear LED blinkie to help save her life while road riding.

Jordan is still doing great in Atlanta in grad school. She works at a yoga studio and has gotten certified to teach Pilates. She is consistently running and doing a million things. Her professor has asked her to write the syllabus for a course he's teaching next year. And she got 'hired' to teach a course at a local women's correctional institute as part of a college degree program they have there. So she's gonna get all tatted up and teach theology a couple of nights per week next fall, I think.

And a week from tomorrow I will be with both of my girls running Ragnar Trail Atlanta! Look for pictures and updates on Facebook that weekend.
    Thanks for asking.
    2014-03-27 8:09 PM

User image

Master
    Fort Wayne

It sounds like both of your girls are a bit of a chip off the ol' block, both in athleticism and in work ethic.  It's great to hear that both of them seem to be doing great in each of their endeavours.  

That's pretty funny about Jordan getting all tatted up.  Hey, she's got to fit in with the inmates!  It sounds like she's going to have some great opportunities coming her way with the focus she seems to have on her life and direction.

Morgan seems to have a good hold on her athletics.  Does she have aspirations for some type of a future in college via cycling or, dare I say, triathlon?  I don't think she's done any triathlon, at least that I remember you mentioning.  That said, I cannot remember for sure how old Morgan is so maybe she's already in college?

2014-03-28 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    I finally got around to doing another Suffest workout last night. I decided to give Blender a whirl. I didn't realize that it was that long a workout. I was only scheduled to do an hour VO2 interval session on the trainer but I figured what the heck how bad can Blender really be? It didn't really look that bad?

I would say I was sadly mistaken, it's a pretty challenging workout. I was going to just do part of it but you know how that goes and I certainly didn't want to let down my fellow Sufferlandrians or the famous Grunter Von Agony so I forged ahead with the workout. I thought I was done after the VO2 portion of the workout and didn't think I'd have any chance of finishing the three 4 minute time trails at FTP much less hit my power numbers. But lo and behold I was able to nail it amazingly enough. There is something very inspiring about riding for the motherland Sufferlandria.

Man, my legs were on fire, I was feeling the pain and the suffering was in full effect for the time trails but the mind was very focused and the legs just kept moving the pedals and I was busting them out. I think I actually killed the last TT. It was a really good kind of hurt. I would have to say I think I am far ahead of where I was at this point last season on the bike. I learned a lot last night from this workout. No doubt I was in a world of hurt when I finished but I am definitely seeing the gains in fitness on the bike.

I will also so say the Sufferfest videos are a really good investment. I hesitate to call them fun but they are challenging workouts and the minions do have a sense of humor although at certain points in the video you may not exactly find them that amusing when you're dying on the bike but they are defiintely worth the money. I need to pick up a few more. I'll do the last one I have this weekend, ISLAGIATT.

2014-03-28 2:04 PM

User image

Master
    Fort Wayne

Sounds like more fun on the trainer Tony!  I have been having my own sufferfest today but it's not just been on the bike.  I told Zach that he could bury me this week since I won't be doing anything for at least a few days following my surgery on Monday............And bury me he did!!

The first method of torture came in the form of swimming 4500 yards this morning.  For some reason swimming in the morning just seems to be a battle for me.  It seems it takes me twice as long to get my body moving and ready for the workload.  Today began with a 300 WU before diving into some 50 sprints on short rests (5").  And that was basically the workout, alternating 300 swim + 4x50 sprints w/5" rest for 6 sets.  And just like in those TV infomercials........."But WAIT!!  There's more!!"  I was then to put on paddles and repeat that same routine for 2 more sets followed by a 200-500 CD.  (of course I am foolish enough to make sure I got the entire 500 CD bringing my total for the day to 4500.

I came home did a few things then got out my shovel and began digging my grave, otherwise known as my bike ride.  I designed another ride in TR and decided to call it "Wicked Sensation."  Oh and it lived up to it's name....IN SPADES!!  I designed the workout at the top of my Zn5, otherwise known as pure insanity or maybe it's stupidity.  I began the ride and before the end of the first interval I knew I was going to in deep trouble.  I was already feeling like I wasn't going to be able to finish the 7x4' @ 120% w/4' recovery's.  By midway through the second interval I decided I would have to dial it down and dropped it to 95% of design (113% FTP).  That still wasn't enough and at the end of the third interval I dropped it to a manageable 93% (111% FTP).  I was able to hold very close to the power from there out to the finish but it was still extremely hard.

I have been able to hold my designs at or near top of the prescribed zones until today.  It is a disappointment to have been so low on the numbers as I was but I know the swim to some out of me and I wasn't well fueled.  After having eaten breakfast this morning before my swim I hadn't had anything of substance to eat.  I did have 100 calorie bottle on the bike that I began to sip from the beginning,but it wasn't enough.  That said, I wasn't feeling the normal "bonk" feeling that you can get when you know your fuel supply is low.  Then following the interval work I pulled the workout back up to 97% design and finished above the targets for the rest of the workout but that was all Zn2, beginning at the top and coming down 5% every ten minutes.

Yeah!  It sucked!

But......"Pain is good; extreme pain is extremely good"!

2014-03-28 3:05 PM

User image

You Junkie boys sure are beasts!   I just pretend that I'm getting in workouts and races like all of you.     Keep up the good work!  

I'm heading to run a marathon tomorrow with 5 friends. Longest run since December was 16 miles and I got a couple 10 milers thrown in.  Ugly training.  I'm not looking to do anything except cross the finish line with a smile.  It's a circular course so my friends will pass me by a bunch of times which will be fun to continually see them throughout the race.  The forecast is for a mixture of rain and SNOW.  I really think I'm loosing my mind with the fact that winter won't go away. 17 days until April 15th.   I think I can...I think I can...

What time is your surgery on Monday, DIRK?   I'll be praying for your peace and the doctor's skilled hands.

Just wanted to stop in and let you know I'm uber impressed with what's going on with you boys this winter.   Have a good weekend everyone!

2014-03-28 3:25 PM

User image

NH
    Originally posted by tmoons

Training begins again this week. I have a HM on Saturday- I got a free entry (I'm using it as a training run: Two times 6 x 5 minutes at tempo pace increasing to 120% for the last 30 seconds of each set with 1:30 minutes marathon pace between sets ) and a 100k group ride on Sunday and will run off the bike after that.

good to be back.... woot woot

Great to hear from you again Terry. Good luck in the HM tomorrow. And the pizza, ice cream and beer diet sounds alluring.

Great races Jeff. You absolutely have the efforts dialed in for your distances.

Tony, your biking this year is undergoing a huge transformation. Can't wait to see how it sorts out in the IM. I have confidence you will rock it again and add to your execution ninja legacy.

Dirk, there is a limit to how high and long you can push intervals. I'd be likely to say if you could hit all 7 - 4 minute intervals on equal rest that may not be 120% of your FTP. 120% FTP seems too far above the threshold to maintain for that many intervals of that duration. And there is no doubt in any of our minds that if it was possible for anyone, you'd have done it! This reminds me of a friend who showed me his power file from a half iron that showed 100% FTP for the entire bike leg done in 2:28. Ummm, not really possible. That said, I think you should be able to get through at least 4 intervals at that 120% effort. I might try this one next week and report back.

Keep us updated on the surgery. And PLEASE be smart during rehab. It's not your strong suit, so we may have enlist Lis.
    2014-03-29 4:08 AM
    in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
    Fort Wayne

Originally posted by bswcpa

You Junkie boys sure are beasts!   I just pretend that I'm getting in workouts and races like all of you.     Keep up the good work!  

I'm heading to run a marathon tomorrow with 5 friends. Longest run since December was 16 miles and I got a couple 10 milers thrown in.  Ugly training.  I'm not looking to do anything except cross the finish line with a smile.  It's a circular course so my friends will pass me by a bunch of times which will be fun to continually see them throughout the race.  The forecast is for a mixture of rain and SNOW.  I really think I'm loosing my mind with the fact that winter won't go away. 17 days until April 15th.   I think I can...I think I can...

What time is your surgery on Monday, DIRK?   I'll be praying for your peace and the doctor's skilled hands.

Just wanted to stop in and let you know I'm uber impressed with what's going on with you boys this winter.   Have a good weekend everyone!

I've been thinking you were probably about at the end of your tax figuring rope about now Brenda.  I'm glad to see you checking in.  I hope your race today goes well, for you and all of your OLTC friends.  I certainly hope Barb isn't doing this race.  She should be in a tper mode right now.

My surgery is scheduled for 9:30 AM Monday and the procedure is supposed to take only an hour.  I heard from fellow triathlete at the pool yesterday that he and I have used the same doc for these procedures and we share the same opinion of him; he's outstanding!  So I feel confident things will go smoothly.from his side.  Bu then as Warren has stated, my track record can be somewhat questionable when it comes to recovery and intelligence.  It's the recovery and training cycle that will have me struggling and I suppose where I'll need the most prayers.  I appreciate knowing I'll be covered on Monday Brenda!  And all the time from you.  You're probably the reason I'm not dead already 

2014-03-29 4:14 AM
    in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
    Fort Wayne

Originally posted by wbayek
    Originally posted by tmoons Training begins again this week. I have a HM on Saturday- I got a free entry (I'm using it as a training run: Two times 6 x 5 minutes at tempo pace increasing to 120% for the last 30 seconds of each set with 1:30 minutes marathon pace between sets ) and a 100k group ride on Sunday and will run off the bike after that. good to be back.... woot woot
    Great to hear from you again Terry. Good luck in the HM tomorrow. And the pizza, ice cream and beer diet sounds alluring. Great races Jeff. You absolutely have the efforts dialed in for your distances. Tony, your biking this year is undergoing a huge transformation. Can't wait to see how it sorts out in the IM. I have confidence you will rock it again and add to your execution ninja legacy. Dirk, there is a limit to how high and long you can push intervals. I'd be likely to say if you could hit all 7 - 4 minute intervals on equal rest that may not be 120% of your FTP. 120% FTP seems too far above the threshold to maintain for that many intervals of that duration. And there is no doubt in any of our minds that if it was possible for anyone, you'd have done it! This reminds me of a friend who showed me his power file from a half iron that showed 100% FTP for the entire bike leg done in 2:28. Ummm, not really possible. That said, I think you should be able to get through at least 4 intervals at that 120% effort. I might try this one next week and report back. Keep us updated on the surgery. And PLEASE be smart during rehab. It's not your strong suit, so we may have enlist Lis.

Yeah I somewhat new it might be unlikely to complete the workout but I didn't think I would have to toss the intensity so quickly.  I was pretty disappointed that I was into the second of seven intervals that I knew my reign over killer bike intervals was being trampled on.

And your friend with 100% FTP on an HIM course......Yeah!  No!  He had obviously not tested properly and probably gained a substantial higher fitness level before his race.

2014-03-29 9:30 AM

User image

NH
    Good luck to the Brenda and Terry today. May you race relaxed, finish strong, and have fun.

I failed to thank Jeff for his race report. As Matt said, you put us right into the race with you. I really enjoy reading and learning from your races.
    I wish we could all do such a detailed effort, but I'm afraid I can't remember much about mile 20 once I hit mile 22!

Dirk, I would say that you haven't lost your bike interval killer status quite yet. I'm sure there will be some stupid trainerroad graphs from you soon enough. Take care a we'll be praying for skillful surgeons and complete and rabid recovery.

My training is going well. I'm lifting 2-3 times a week, trying to hit twice heavy lifts and once more body weight stuff with running in between, which I call my hybrid workouts, running 4 times, and biking 4 times/wk to build up to the century ride, with one Vo2 intervals, one long ride, and the other rides with some sweet spot intervals. The running is about 20-25 miles, and I'm building my long run to 10ish miles. It's at 7.5 now. Overall, I have to say I feel great. Nothing is a sore as when I'm running 35-40 miles as with "normal" tri training, and my "strength" is much higher than it was. It's great to see even at 52 years old the body still responds to new stimulus such as weight training. I've also been doing the swim strength exercises from swim speed secrets, though I probably won't start swimming until after the Bonefrog/century weekend. We'll see how it all unfolds for the tri season, but so far I'm really liking this training methodology.
    2014-03-29 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Sidney, Ohio
    Brenda, Terry good luck today and don't forget to have fun!

Warren, 52 years old? Man your getting up there

for me! I just finished up the 1st 5k of the season, and it hurt! But was soo much fun. Finish time of 21:30, not my best time, but man the wind was crazy today. For the 1st mile the course weaves in and out of neighborhoods so mostly blocked by the wind. But right at the 1 mile mark the course hits open road and turns north, right into a 18-20mph wind. This stretched lasted for about 1/2 mile before going back into neighborhoods, but these hoods created more of a wind tunnel than a break from the wind. All in all straight into the wind from the end of mile 1 until almost the 2.75 marker. Made for a struggle and heavy breathing, but I managed fairly well.

lap times

mile 1: 6:25 HR 162

mile 2: 7:14 HR 175 (dang wind)

Mile 3: 7:08 HR 178.

Finish 21:30 AVG HR 171.

so overall a success! and now I am off to do a bike ride and start the prep work for next week 5k.
    2014-03-29 10:17 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
    Mastic Beach, NY
    Good luck to both Terry and Brenda in their respective races this weekend. I hope you guys get some decent weather to run in. As always be safe and have fun.

Dirk I hear you on the trainer workouts. It's anything but fun lately more like pain, suffering an misery but I'm sure it's gonna pay off come race day. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a very quick recovery. I don't doubt you'll be smart and patient with your recovery you have way too much on the line in getting to Wisconsin healthy in September.

Warren it sounds like your training is going great and it sounds like you'll be more then ready for that upcoming race as well as your century ride. I think all the strength training your doing is going help with your overall fitness. You should be in great shape by the time you shift to a total tri focused training.

Well it looks like a total washout here for this weekend. Rain until Monday, which means indoors workouts. I'm hoping for a 2 hour trainer workout today followd by a 30 minute run and probably a 90 minute run tomorrow. Unfortunately it's looking like it'll be all indoors.

Edited by strikyr 2014-03-29 10:21 AM
    2014-03-29 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Matt... amazing finish.... !!

For the 13.1 today at 6:00am it was 77 degrees, 90% humidity and an 8mph breeze and it was overcast.
    It was really humid today.
    my official finish time was 2:24:43.

This was a training run for me. I was supposed to be running a 50 mile event this weekend but opted out after the last ultra. It's not that I couldn't do it, but the recovery time prevents me from sticking to my Tri-Training plan and the last few ultras really have me behind where I thought I should be. I love the running, but the distance really takes it's toll on the body. I won a free entry into this race from my Tri team and used it as my planned long run (I swapped today's bike ride for the run)

I had intended to maintain a 9-10 minute mile pace throughout, but had an unanticipated port-a-potty stop for about 10 minutes right around mile 7. I had cramps for about a mile or so before and it was very uncomfortable. It may be a little TMI but diet really does affect performance. I had been on a very low carb diet for a while and am now transitioning back into IT (the Ketogenic diet). I'm still not used toe eating bread and potatoes - although i really enjoy them.

I did some tempo running at miles 4, 6, 8 and 11 where I would build from my pace each quarter mile and really push it for a tenth of a mile and then back down to pace. I walked through every water stop made sure to drink adequate water and Gatorade. They handed out GU gels at miles 5, 8, and 10 which was nice since my endurolytes disintegrated in my shorts pocket. (mental note to self- put endurolytes in a water proof bag to keep dry).

The best part of the day was when I got home, my wife was going out to do her run/walk thing and I got to go with her. She walks three minutes to warm up then goes on a one minute run/one minute walk for 30 minutes. She walks much faster than I did since I was a little tight from the HM. So, when she ran I ran and was able to continue my interval running. It was pretty amazing. I was ale to run 6-7 minute pace for a minute each time she ran, then she would catch up to me on the walk portion. and this would continue. So... I was happy with the interval work I was able to accomplish today, and made the Mrs. happy which confirms the adage "A happy wife makes a happy life."

I'm looking forward to the 100k bike ride and run off the bike tomorrow....

(I'm also praying for the referees who made really bad calls against the Heat when they played the Pacers the other night )

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 22, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 0
    Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
    date : January 27, 2011
    author : Mark Sunderland
    The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
    author : Anderleka
    Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
    date : December 7, 2006
    author : BobbyMcgee
    By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
    author : mikericci
    comments : 1
    This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
    date : October 2, 2005
    author : KevinKonczak
    comments : 1
    So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
    author : Glenn
    Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.