BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-03-29 6:52 PM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: My Races
Matt congrats on finishing your 5K. That is a smoking fast time and what's most impressive is you had to run into the wind most of the race. Congrats again great race.

Terry congrats on finishing your HM today. I don't know how you guys deal with that humidity. It takes me forever to get acclimated when it starts warming up and the humidity sets it. It sounds like you took advantage of your opportunity in making this a training run and got a good workout in the process. Also glad to hear about you getting to spend some time with your wife on the run/walk. Good luck and be safe on your 100K ride tomorrow.

Indoor workout today, I did Sufferfest ISLAGIATT for the first time. I'll just say ISLAGIATT = MY APOCALYPSE. I almost bagged my run afterwards when I finished that workout. I wound up cutting the run short and did a slow 22 minute 2 mile run. Man I didn't think I was gonna finish the bike workout. The last stage with all the attacking going on I could barely get my legs to speed up and slow down. I think I am finally getting some feeling back in my legs.

2014-03-29 7:58 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Tony, I have come to the conclusion that it is really never a good idea! But for some reason I keep going back and trying ISLAGIATT over and over!
2014-03-30 7:45 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Matt, congratulations on your race, That is an awesome time, I am always amazed at how fast you all run!

Terry, congrats to you too, sorry you had the stomach issue that's never fun but escpecially in a race and way to then go run/ walk with your wife.

Warren, it sounds like you have a great training program you've been doing I keep telling myself I should add another day of strength, I am only doing 1x a week and seriously feel since I have hit 50 I need to do more.

Brenda how did your race go???

Dirk, I hope surgery goes well tomorrow!

Tony as always great riding!!!

This week was Gabis birthday and she was off of school so I took thursday off ( which I never do) and spent it with her and Maria, we did pedicures, went for lunch and then to the children's museum.....it was a really nice break from everything, i definetly should do that more often Since I feel more relaxed and my swim and run since have felt easier

2014-03-30 8:31 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Thanks for asking, JOANNE.  With rain, sleet, snow, freezing temps and swirling wind (just like MATT's race but the opposite weather of TERRY's race - good job, BTW to the both of you), it wasn't an ideal day to do anything in a 26.2 except persevere. I got to the end and it was a good mental test for me.   My friend, Karen, who BQ's each time she runs a marathon, had asked to run with me because she wanted to do this event as a training run for her hundred coming up.   About 12 miles in she pulled out due to hip pain and I felt like my energy went with her.  I slogged through 5 more miles and didn't know if I had it in me to get to the end.  I took a restroom break, got some handwarmers and changed into my winter mittens because my hands were freezing and decided to stop being a woos, to suck it up and finish.  My time of 4:45 ended up 22 minutes slower than last year but I have no doubt the 26.2 at the end of IMWI will be even uglier.      Getting home, I finally warmed up after soaking in the hot tub, then ate 4 pieces of a large pizza, capping off the day with watching a movie with my daughter.  Ahhhhh.......happiness.        Your day with Gabis sounded wonderful.   Yes, we need those restful days more often.

DIRK, will you be out of it tomorrow or will you be able to post how the surgery went?  We'll all be thinking of you.

Today the sun is shining and by tomorrow the temps are supposed to be the mid 60s.  Go figure.   Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

2014-03-30 9:31 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JoAnne sounds like your training is going well glad to hear that your feeling thing coming easier on the swim and run. Also glad to hear that you got to spend some time with your girls as well and that you enjoyed the time together.

Brenda congrats on sticking it out and completing your marathon in some very unfavorable weather conditions. I think this is going to turn out to be a great thing for you, by not calling it quits and sticking it out you'll be able to look back on this race if and when you have a bad moment at IMWI. These races are no fun while you are doing them but in hindsight they are great motivators when you are struggling and need to dig deep. I'm glad you stuck it out and finished. Just think it will be much easier at IMWI I also liked your refeuling plan, pizza. You can never go wrong with pizza.

I'm missed my outdoor run with friends this morning. It has been pouring rain here in NY. I figured we wouldn't run but we are getting a break until later on this evening with the rain. I just didn't get up in time. I'll be heading out for a 60 to 90 minute run. It'll be easy paced after yesterday's Sufferfest ride. I'll be lucky to manage an easy pace lol
2014-03-30 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Congrats Brenda.... running in that kind of weather is no fun.

I did a 50k ride instead of the 100. My legs were pretty wasted after yesterdays effort. i was able to do some intervals, but nothing like I had planned.
It was a beautiful windy day (North wind about 17-18mph gusting to 23) started out in the low 60's with clear and sunny skies 62% humidity (yesterdays storm rained all night and it cleared up really nicely in the early morning hours). fortunately we went north against the wind to begin and had it at our backs for most of the way home.

I was able to run into alot of friends i had not seen in a while , got caught up eating sandwiches and laughing alot and I completely forgot about the run off the bike.... oh, well....

now to start finalizing my choices for my leagues fantasy baseball draft later this afternoon.....

I have placed a television in the garage and am beginning to hook up a dvd player to it and start the sufferfest video training series...
I'll let you all know how it goes. I have a friend who will let me borrow his DVDs.... he does compu-trainer training a few times a week now and does not use the videos.... I'm getting butterflies just thinking about it.

Dirk... good luck tomorrow you'll be in prayers.

2014-03-30 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Terry sounds like you had a lot of fun on the 50K ride today. Glad to hear you were able to see a lot of friends and you got good weather for the ride. It does sounds like it was a pretty windy ride and I can't say I blame you for skipping the run afterwards considering you did plenty of that yesterday. You'll love Sufferfest. The two things I really like about the workouts are that you can make them as hard as you want them to be and it does keep the workouts interesting. It gets old doing 2x20 @95-100% etc. At least the folks over at Sufferfest create some great story lines and they do have a sense of humor as you will see.

I got my run in this morning and did 1:20. I didn't think I'd have much in me but I was pleasantly surprised to say that I went well beyond my easy pace that I planned to do. I wound up running 8 miles and negative split the entire run. I started at an 11:00 pace and finish at an 8:30 pace. I almost tripped over myself when I saw that as I was wrapping up. I wasn't even laboring although I haven't looked at the numbers yet I felt pretty darn good.

I was like what? 8:30 for real! You know me I'm as slow a runner as they come but I have to give Endurance Nation big props because I have improved my pace tenfold using their outseason program. When I got in I asked my wife Joyce if she heard those sonic booms as I went by the house on my three loops and if she thought the structural integrity of the houses on the block were ok. She pretty much replied yeah right. Overall a very good run for me and I have definitely improved my pace. There is hope for me yet. I need to find a 5K and just show up one of these weekends to see what I can do.
2014-03-30 6:02 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED
Brenda, your run sounds a little rough! Good work on fighting through and getting the mental training in. I thi that is an area I fall short in sometime, when things start to falter and get rough I am quick to falter.

Question for all of you training for an ironman, do you have a plan in place that your following? And if so how many hours are in your largest week of the plan? I am just curious more than anything as to the differences in plans.
2014-03-31 6:21 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

There were some gutsy races over this past weekend!  I think all who raced seemed to have some sort of struggle, whether it was mental or physical.  Terry and Brenda's races were just as Tony said; "great motivators when you are struggling and need to dig deep."  Finding that motivation in any event serves to fuel us through the next one and only makes us even stronger in other events and as we faces other struggles unrelated to our events.  Both of you seem to be able to run on an absolute minimum training mileage for long course stuff.  I cannot do it!   Maybe that's my mental struggle, not being able to feel comfortable enough to keep mileage/time lower than the high volume I feel I need to PR.

Matt, I was working in Findlay all day on Saturday and felt that bitter wind.  If you were running in a north or northeast direction you were struggling for sure.  If you had been out a little sooner than 9AM you may have fared a little better.  The wind was a little more docile when we began work at 7:30AM.  Regardless of the wind, your running is coming along nicely.  You may not be setting PR's at every race but there seems to be variables at many of these races that you've had to contend with that keeps you from that elusive goal.

Terry, it's funny to me that you're talking about heading indoors to ride right now.  Most of us are chomping at the bit to get outdoors and get some good weather runs and rides in.  Of course after today I'll be lagging behind everyone in everything for a couple of weeks.

Joanne,  Your day with Gabi and Maria sounds like a refreshing day and one that would seem to be well deserved.  Sometimes those rest days are more needed than we know and they too can be as important as the slogfest races and training events that fuel our motivation.  I'm glad you took some time away from training and enjoyed life a little bit.  

I also feel that the strength training I have been doing will serve me well as I begin my recovery and leading up to IMWI.  My plan for the rest of my training cycle will be to do at least 2 strength training sessions a week and include my legs and core every time.

Brenda,  I'm sure you know I was texting Barb and trash talking you on Saturday but just to continue that discussion in an opened forum.  You're insane!  I haven't looked at your logs for the past couple of months but 10 mile long runs before doing a marathon??  Umm?  Yeah! NO!!  For you to be able to do these types of events on such low mileage is astounding.  And you do them somewhat routinely.  That's amazing!

As others have noted today is surgery day.  I'll be headed to the surgical facility soon and those of you that are friends on facebook can look forward to Lis posting pics of me in my gown lying n bed.  I'm sure the festivities will include pre-op and post-op stuff so that everyone can see and be included in the jokes.   Enjoy that!  I'm sure I'll be able to post later on today to fill everyone in on the details and findings.  To be honest I don't know if I want a re-tear or a separate tear.  The re-tear means a shorter recovery and a shot at Madison.  The new tear means a far longer recovery taking me out of Ironman this year but would be better over the long haul.  Truthfully, I think the new tear would be better but it would be a big disappointment to say the least.

Until later, I'll appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

2014-03-31 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Question for all of you training for an ironman, do you have a plan in place that your following? And if so how many hours are in your largest week of the plan? I am just curious more than anything as to the differences in plans.

During December last year while I was getting ready for a 140.6 there were weeks when I did 16-19 hours of training. the largest portion of that time - for me- was biking. I did a Marathon the first week of December and kept the run fitness going consistently. But cycling was crucial to me. Hours and hours. I can tell you that from December to February I swam 22.6 miles, biked 891 miles and ran about 322 miles. The Template I used was derived from a Dave Scott plan i got on training peaks - with some modifications.

I'll be ramping up the hours soon as I have an HIM on June 8 and a full IM on June 29.

Dirk... our prayers and thoughts are with you.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about deep water running. I don't know if you've heard but it. but I'm giving it a shot this week at the pool. There is low/no impact as your suspended in the water by a flotation belt. The water provides resistance for the legs, allows you ot perfect running form and get the HR up. I''l keep everyone posted.

2014-03-31 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk good luck, I'll be thinking about you and praying for you today. I hope everything goes well.

Matt last season I used a combination of Don Fink's IronFit plans. I followed the intermediate plan for the swim and run and I followed the competitive plan for the bike. I didn't follow the plan to the letter but used it as more of a guidline. I think my peak week was 3 weeks from race day and I believe I put in 19.5 hours. I think my weeks varied and you could check my logs but I was doing 12 to 18 hours as I progressed through the plan. The later into the plan the more hours I did.

This season I am using the Endurance Nation intermediate IM plan. That one looks like the peak week is 18.5 hours. There looks to be several weeks at or around 18 hours. I'll probably follow this plan more closely especially for the run and bike. For the swim I probably will not as I do most of my swimming outdoors once June rolls around so I won't be doing much work in the pool. If you need more info on either plan just let me know.

2014-03-31 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos  Question for all of you training for an ironman, do you have a plan in place that your following? And if so how many hours are in your largest week of the plan? I am just curious more than anything as to the differences in plans.

Now that I can do nothing but sit around I can take a few minutes to answer your question.

Obviously I am not sure what is going to happening the near future of my training but I can address what my coach has told me.  During our discussion about what I might expect I asked how many hours a week I could expect to train during some of the peak training weeks based on the parameters I set for time available.  He said that 16-18 would be  some of the peaks but I also got the idea that there would be a fair number of these types of weeks.  If I recall correctly he said there would be about 6 weeks of 16-18 hour weeks over the length of the plan.  Weeks of more of a given discipline would be alternated with less of another but I have a feeling he's going to focus hard on swim right now (because of my knee) and then lean heavily on the bike until my knee is considered safe.  

From the plans I've looked at both on BT and others, it is very common to alternate weeks of high volume in one and lower in others but the hours turn out to be somewhat similar throughout.  Obviously starting lower and increasing slowly over the length of the plan.  As far as knowing what Zach has planned for the longest week and/or shortest week I cannot really say.  What I can say is that I have trained no less than 11 hours a week so far and that's with only one month of coaching thus far. 

Are you considering an IM?  Your question seems to be leading that way.

Side note:  I am taking one month hiatus to recover before paying for more coaching.  I have to say that Zach is very reasonable and understanding when it comes to my situation.  He himself had to endure some pretty serious recovery time for a broken femur that came from racing IM San Juan (I think).  He is still not back to his pre-injury fitness and seems to understand how hard it can be to come back.  He is also willing to help me out during the non coached time by providing some direction while I recover.  Long story short, I thikn I made the right call getting a coach.

2014-03-31 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4919947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Thanks for feedback on the time, sounds like somewhere between 17-20 hours on the peak weeks! That is excessive! Or at least that's what Sara would tell me. I am considering an ironman and have been for about 4 years. But, the time commitment is just too much! I am going to try and hold 14 hours per week this summer and see how that goes. If I could switch to mornings I could probably pull it off, but who in there right mind gets up at 430am to workout! I am ok waiting a few more years, maybe I can become speedy at the shorter distances and actually podium in AG or something silly! Of course I may need to learn to swim.
2014-04-01 12:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by mambos

Thanks for feedback on the time, sounds like somewhere between 17-20 hours on the peak weeks! That is excessive! Or at least that's what Sara would tell me. I am considering an ironman and have been for about 4 years. But, the time commitment is just too much! I am going to try and hold 14 hours per week this summer and see how that goes. If I could switch to mornings I could probably pull it off, but who in there right mind gets up at 430am to workout! I am ok waiting a few more years, maybe I can become speedy at the shorter distances and actually podium in AG or something silly! Of course I may need to learn to swim.

There are some plans out there that consist of less hours. For me, I was in the same range as the other guys that posted (I think around 19-20 for my peak). But, keep in mind that there are only a handful of weeks in that range. But, I was in the same boat as you. What I did to make my wife feel better about it was I scheduled two of my peak weeks as vacation from work. This way even if I worked out 20 hr that week, that was still only half of what I would have worked (job)... so that was still lots of time for family for those 2 weeks.
2014-04-01 5:47 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Surgery:

Things went as well as could have been expected.  It was as easy a procedure as I have had so far and I was able to stay alert and very much awake during the entire event.  I was even able to watch the entire thing.  It was extremely interesting!!  I am hoping that I can get some pics from the procedure to post here.  

Anyway, during the procedure I could easily see the torn meniscus and watch him trim it away.  There was also some other damage that was minor but that is likely to be an indicator that I did other damage during my recent events, i.e. bike crash and half marathon and probably from the time I spent running for a couple of weeks when I thought things weren't that bad.

As he was rooting around in there I was able to ask a lot of questions.  The only way it would have been more interesting is if it was someone else's knee.  Doc mentioned he didn't like doing the procedure a third time but he said options for what I would like to do limit what can happen.  Based on other comments made during the surgery the other minor damage that may have made it more difficult to not have had trouble with running had I not had this procedure done.  I will have to discuss this with him at my post op appointment a week from Thursday because I don't want to put a lit of faith in the details I remember during the surgery because of the effects of the anesthetic.

My recovery should be pretty good based on things the doc and my PT said yesterday.  Keeping "me" under control will be the biggest hurdle but I truly feel I'll be alright here.  My history isn't quite perfect when I have tried to recovery from other injuries because of my will to get myself back on track.  This time, just as I committed to back in October, I will be vigilant to do the right things.  My goal is still to get to IMWI and any future triathlon plans hang in the balance.  I have been learning to be real with myself over the past 6-7 months and I feel I am on track at this point to make strides in proper attitude.  I have already decided that I may have to figure creative ways to be able to bail on runs where I've had some pain and still get home without causing more damage (hopefully none at all).  Long runs are the biggest concern here as I hope to be able to get up to 16-18 miles for my long runs before my race, but I'm not making plans for any running like that just yet.

Strength training, particularly my legs, will now become a staple to my workout regimen as I now see the importance of this for someone with injuries such as mine.  I have always felt it was a very good idea but I have steered away from it because of the additional time commitment.  I now seem to have the time to be able commit to doing this with both of the girls either working or not living at home.  

It's funny sort of, but I was just reminded of how many years I went without an ACL after blowing it completely during football in the late 90's.  I was able to that BECAUSE of all the strength training I did at the time.  The powerlifting elements held my legs in good strength as well as climbing poles and towers.  Now, after a job change (a lot of desk work) and not doing any specific strength training I have all of these issues.  As things have changed over these years I have been lacking in doing the things that would keep me healthy, physically.  Well, I have always been a slow learner.  Only now I can't play catch up.

Things are going to be fine!  I don't feel pessimistic at all as I begin this recovery.  As I stated in a previous post, I have a peace about this that I can't explain.  I just have to trust that things will workout.  And when that finish line comes into clear view, that stripe and banner will make my personal victory all the sweeter.  And if I don't make it, well, there's a a different plan in play.  A plan that has been laid with a much broader picture than I can see and one that is far more important than any plans I could have made for myself.

"....let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work, so that you may be perfectly and fully developed...." -Amp

2014-04-01 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well. I don't think I would have wanted to have seen what was going on personally. I just don't have the stomach for that kind of thing even though it is interesting. I hope you have a very quick and successful recovery and you can get back on track and resume your training for IMWI. I have no doubt that you'll be both smart and patient in allowing yourself the time to recover and to ease back into your training.

Matt like Will said there are training plans built around less hours. The IronFit training plans had three different plans one of which they called the just finish plan which probably averages about 8 to 12 hours a week. I think you could do IM if you could manage 15 hours of week of training. Again all plans usually go base phase to build phase to a peak phase where the hours steadily increase like Dirk said and the peak phase is where you wind up putting in most of your hours. As you are aware the biggest challenge is finding the balance between work, family and training. It can be done and maybe using this season as a barometer of sorts may give you a better idea if it may be possible for you do an IM in the near future.

2014-04-01 7:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I finally got my new wheels this evening. I dropped the bike off yesterday at the LBS and they set up the new wheels for me. I didn't leave them on the bike though. I am still a bit away from taking the rides outdoors and I really only want to use the new wheels for racing and specific training rides. I will say the wheels feel pretty light even though they are not totally all carbon. I can't wait to get the Zipp 60's on the bike and see how much difference they make over the stock wheels that I now.

Edited by strikyr 2014-04-01 7:47 PM
2014-04-02 4:43 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

My wheels should be in tomorrow if the delivery date is correct.  Mine will need the cassette put on before I can get them out for ride.  Oh, and there's that little thing with my knee too that might keep me off the bike.  I have to admit I'm a bit anxious to get them on the bike and give them a spin.  What seems to be nice about my wheels is that they have been described as bomb proof so if I decide to take them on several rides it shouldn't be a big deal.  I will still likely keep them as clean and new as possible and not ride them very often.

My first opportunity to use them may come on May 17 for a TT series.  It's one here in town ( I think I mentioned it before) and it should give me plenty of time to recover and be back close to form, at least on the bike.  That may be my first race of the season and maybe a little bit of a focus if I can talk my coach into letting me use a couple of these as long interval sessions.  I'd love to see what these wheels will feel like in a race setting.

Enjoy your wheels Tony!  I know the both of us will be looking forward to seeing what we'll be able to do with them.  Maybe we could have some sort of virtual race or something.

2014-04-02 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk I don't even think I could keep up with you on the bike much less race you even if it's virtual. I had the LBS take care of everything for me. They put on a new cassette 11-28, set up the hubs, latex tubes and new Conti 4000GP's. I got a good price on the Conti's and the cassette on Amazon. The tubes and the wheels I bought from the LBS. They did a very good job.

One thing to mention though I did bring the bike in so they could check the brakes and gearing between the stock set of wheels and the ZIpp's. They said I will need to adjust the brakes a bit with the Zipp's but the gearing is very close and I should not have to adjust that. The other thing is my chain is worn and will probably need to be replaced but I'll wait until I am mostly riding outdoors before I do that.

Dirk you are going to be pleasantly surprised with how light the weels feel. I expected it to feel heavier but they are really light and I know the Zipp 60's were very comparable with the FLO 60 and 90's. Like you I am very much looking forward to seeing how they feel when riding with them. I hope you enjoy your set as well when you are ready to ride and I'm sure you'll get some more speed out of them. I'm hoping to go faster but if not at least the bike will look good.
2014-04-02 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Knee Surgery and PT update

Below is a copy and paste from my blog today:

I had my first PT appointment today following my third knee surgery.  Everything seemed to fall in line with where I should be and maybe a little bit ahead of where I expected to be.  Most of the time was spent trying to get some range of motion back and doing a little bit of testing the waters for some workload that may be coming.

I did some wall squats but I had to stop doing them so deep because I as feeling some shifting and popping in the knee joint.  Todd asked me to stop if there was anything like that happening.  Once I told him about it, I stopped going so deep and the popping stopped.  I was only going about 1/3 of the way down before returning to the start position.  This seemed to stop the popping and Todd told me that next week if ti's still popping we'll probably work through it.

The other exercise that I attempted to do that I was unable to really even get started on were some extension exercises with a band.  The band is tied around a table and my leg put through and step back a few inches to add tension.  The leg is flexed to s slight bend for the starting position.  When the exercise begins all that occurs is straightening the leg and flexing the quads strongly and pausing.   This can be done at a fast pace or something slower, which is what I did today.

The best part of the time was spent talking to Todd about the coming workouts and treatment.  The following questions were asked:

• What do you think about flip turns in the pool?
    As long as there is no rotational stress on the knee, they should be fine.  No hard push off's this week but doing some next week, after feeling some of the strengthening form this week and reduction in swelling, should be fine.  Just work on NOT creating any rotational stress!
  • When can I get on the bike?
    This can begin now.  The work on the bike can help get the range of motion back by forcing some of the fluid out of the knee.  In order to be successful this MUST be done with no resistance, no work out of the saddle and nothing involving any power AT ALL.
  • When can I get on the Arc Trainer?
    Possibly in a couple of weeks.  
    What type of setting should it be set on?  Glide or Stair Climb?
    Either may work but the glide setting would mimic the run more closely because if the striding motion. 

We discussed his part in the recovery process and that he knows I'm a pusher and I may need some reigning in.

In general I feel a little more confident but I am cautious to get to excited just yet.  As the recovery and training cycle begins and continues I will have to keep a level, honest head to keep from causing issues during my training runs.  I really don't know what Zach will be doing with my run training when I begin again.  I wonder how quickly he'll work my mileage upward and just how far we'll be able to get.

I thought you all could be interested to read where I'm at right now.

2014-04-03 7:28 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by DirkP

The work on the bike can help get the range of motion back by forcing some of the fluid out of the knee.  In order to be successful this MUST be done with no resistance, no work out of the saddle and nothing involving any power AT ALL

We discussed his part in the recovery process and that he knows I'm a pusher and I may need some reigning in.

This is an awesome report Dirk. Please keep the bold in mind. Rehab takes time and proper effort. I know it's important to get going as part of rehab, but knowing your personality you will constantly need to re-read the last bolded part every day!

I reinvented the Dirk bike hell workout, with less warmup and cool down but still maintaining the 7x4' 120% intervals. I actually made it through all 7, with a slight drop of a few watts over the last interval. During interval 3 I thought there would be no way I could complete all 7 and started negotiating with myself on how to back off, but I forced myself to just give it everything and if I couldn't complete it fine, but let my legs and lungs tell me that and not my head. The last 2 intervals were mentally brutal. I still wonder if my FTP is a little off based on being able to complete all the intervals, so I'll be retesting probably next week.

2014-04-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk thanks for the update and x2 on what Warren said in regards to your recovrery.

Warren that is just craziness 7x4' @120% but very impressive that you were able to complete the workout and staying in your power zone. Sounds like you are right a test session may be in order. That's just a brutal workout.

Speaking of which Sufferfest has 15% off 5 of their videos which feature women for the next 24 hours since they are sponsoring the UCI women's world cup. I have 3 of the videos blender, revolver and hell hath no fury. They are great workouts so if you are interested in that the code is WORLDCUP.

Did hell hath no fury last night and while the two 20 minute stages were just killer I managed to hammer out the time trial at the end and stay in my power zone. Last time I think I mentally checked out the legs were just involuntarily spastically pushing the pedals. It's a small measure of progress.
2014-04-03 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Dirk.. ^^ what Warren and Tony said on recovery. You will recover nicely and be back at it in nor time. Every time I get injured and have to slow down I always focus on form first and make sure it's perfect as I move in to strengthening that part.

I did two new things on the bike this week.

1) Spin class last night. - The leader kept on talking non stop....Up.. down, position two, position one, running blah blah blah, up the hill, up a bigger hill, take a drink ... lots of loud music... I think i could get used to the concept and do my own intervals to the music and changes... it's just a lot to take in at first... very loud and dark in that room. Everyone seemed nice... it may take some getting used to....

2) My first sufferfest this afternoon. VIOLATOR. I downloaded ISLAGIATT, but i didn't have two hours today to do the ride.
Violator... is alot of sprinting. It felt really good to be able to have a program to follow. I felt good on the bike and my legs were burning.

Next Wednesday I've been invited to a local Bike Shop to train on the compu-trainers. It should be interesting. I'll be able to see what power I'm pushing.

2014-04-03 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Terry good to know about Violator, I don't have that one and have not tried that one yet. ISLAGIATT is a good 1:50 workout so you definitely need a few hours of time to do that one although you could do part of it and still suffer mightly. That one is definitely tough but I'm sure you can say the same about all the Sufferfest videos. I picked up two more today, the Hunted and the Wretched. I may give one of them a go this weekend if I can't get out and get a MTN bike ride this weekend.
2014-04-05 6:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by tmoons Dirk.. ^^ what Warren and Tony said on recovery. You will recover nicely and be back at it in nor time. Every time I get injured and have to slow down I always focus on form first and make sure it's perfect as I move in to strengthening that part. I did two new things on the bike this week. 1) Spin class last night. - The leader kept on talking non stop....Up.. down, position two, position one, running blah blah blah, up the hill, up a bigger hill, take a drink ... lots of loud music... I think i could get used to the concept and do my own intervals to the music and changes... it's just a lot to take in at first... very loud and dark in that room. Everyone seemed nice... it may take some getting used to.... 2) My first sufferfest this afternoon. VIOLATOR. I downloaded ISLAGIATT, but i didn't have two hours today to do the ride. Violator... is alot of sprinting. It felt really good to be able to have a program to follow. I felt good on the bike and my legs were burning. Next Wednesday I've been invited to a local Bike Shop to train on the compu-trainers. It should be interesting. I'll be able to see what power I'm pushing.

I have never done spin classes but I imagine that getting together with a group of people could be beneficial to provide a better atmosphere.  Sometimes it's pretty hard to get on the trainer but knowing other people are going to be suffering with you at the same time would seem to make things a little easier.  The downside I see with going to a class is the added time and expense of getting there and back as well as any registration fees.

Good luck with the computrainer.  They can be a very useful tool, although I feel using Tainer Road is as beneficial.  One of the best things about a computrainer is the power number are supposed to be very close to actual power meter numbers and, as we've discussed already, training with power can be a game changer.  A good focused power training regimen will more than likely provide a better fitness build in a shorter period of time.  (This can also be done using TR at a lower cost as long as you have a decent trainer.)

Edited by DirkP 2014-04-05 6:28 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.