Other Resources The Political Joe » Weather reporters........ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-06 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Weather reporters........

.....have finally joined the list of media personnel who depend on hyperbole and bullchit to make themselves seem more important.

"Winter Storm (yes, we name them now) is bringing potentially fatal low temperatures to over 200,000,000 people.  The 'polar vortex' (what the hell??) has snapped off and is wreaking havoc on a majority of the country"

We're all gonna die!!!

2014-01-06 6:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Weather reporters........

You may die.  It was 75 degrees F here today.

My son cracks up every time one particular, local weather person comes on the news.  Apparently she has referenced "winds from the North South North" before (or somesuch), along with mixing up the order of the days of the week.  It's just entertainment, not news.  I enjoy the references to extreme rain events that might include precipitation of 1/8 inch.  Now there's some serious rain. 

2014-01-06 8:07 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SevenZulu

You may die.  It was 75 degrees F here today.

My son cracks up every time one particular, local weather person comes on the news.  Apparently she has referenced "winds from the North South North" before (or somesuch), along with mixing up the order of the days of the week.  It's just entertainment, not news.  I enjoy the references to extreme rain events that might include precipitation of 1/8 inch.  Now there's some serious rain. 

Look man, I'm trying get my family through the life threatening temperatures of Winter Storm Ion.....this is NOT entertainment, this is life and death!!  I don't know if you've heard..... over 200,000,000 are affected!!

2014-01-06 8:09 PM

User image

Weather reporters and baseball players

Two of the only professions where you can do it right 1/3 of the time and keep your job.

2014-01-06 8:13 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG Weather reporters and baseball players Two of the only professions where you can do it right 1/3 of the time and keep your job.

Go ahead and make light of it.......I'm in a friggin' Polar Vortex here dammit!!!

2014-01-06 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by DanielG Weather reporters and baseball players Two of the only professions where you can do it right 1/3 of the time and keep your job.

Go ahead and make light of it.......I'm in a friggin' Polar Vortex here dammit!!!

You need to stay inside and burn whatever you need to in order to survive.  Dennis Quaid is on his way with a rescue team.

2014-01-06 9:58 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SevenZulu

You need to stay inside and burn whatever you need to in order to survive.  Dennis Quaid is on his way with a rescue team.

HAHAHA!!! 

2014-01-07 8:13 AM

User image

Who needs weather reporters when just about every FB friend post about how cold it is and snap a picture of their car dashboard thermometer for proof.

2014-01-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro

I'm reminded of the old George Carlin parody. "Tonight's forecast - dark. Continuing dark, followed by increasing lightness towards the morning."

Stating the obvious is a heck of a way to make a living. Oh, it's cold out, too.

2014-01-07 8:38 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

This was from last winter, but it's still funny.

Los Angeles Overreacts to Cold Temperatures

2014-01-07 8:45 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Originally posted by tuwood

I was stationed in Hawaii for a couple years in the '80s.

One day that I remember vividly was when the temp hit about 55. There we were, all lined up for PT in full sweats, watch cap and some with gloves on.

Holy cow the SGM just about had a stroke, "GET ALL THAT SNIVEL GEAR OFF"

Our lips were blue and we were seriously shivering until about half way into the run.

2014-01-07 8:51 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG

I was stationed in Hawaii for a couple years in the '80s. One day that I remember vividly was when the temp hit about 55. There we were, all lined up for PT in full sweats, watch cap and some with gloves on. Holy cow the SGM just about had a stroke, "GET ALL THAT SNIVEL GEAR OFF" Our lips were blue and we were seriously shivering until about half way into the run.

55 is warm for a long run.

I remember when we moved from DC to Michigan, and we experienced -10 to -15 that first winter. We thought we had made a serious mistake moving. A year later we had all the right gear and spent a lot of those cold nights with our new neighbors sitting outside around the fire pit. Adapt or perish!

2014-01-07 9:17 AM

User image

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I was stationed in Hawaii for a couple years in the '80s. One day that I remember vividly was when the temp hit about 55. There we were, all lined up for PT in full sweats, watch cap and some with gloves on. Holy cow the SGM just about had a stroke, "GET ALL THAT SNIVEL GEAR OFF" Our lips were blue and we were seriously shivering until about half way into the run.

I remember when we moved from DC to Michigan, and we experienced -10 to -15 that first winter. We thought we had made a serious mistake moving. A year later we had all the right gear and spent a lot of those cold nights with our new neighbors sitting outside around the fire pit. Adapt or perish!

Not in Hawaii. It's 70-90 year 'round. My apartment didn't have heat or an airconditioner. The windows were the louvered type that don't seal.

It was COLD

Then again the electric bill was about $35/mo no matter what time of year so that was a good thing.

2014-01-07 9:26 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

When I first moved to Boise that winter it got down to -5. I remember riding my bike home from Boise State around 10pm with just a sweatshirt and some thin gloves on. My eyelashes were trying to freeze shut. I started to think maybe all the rain in Seattle isn't so bad. Now when it gets down to -5, I went sledding with my son in the park right by my house.
2014-01-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Yesterday morning the temp was -10 and the wind chill was -43.  The kids found some old water guns after watching a youtube video and stood on the back deck and shot the water guns out over the yard, and watched the water turn to vapor and then freeze before it hit the ground as snow........it was actually pretty cool.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-07 9:37 AM
2014-01-07 10:13 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Just remember that weathermen are trying to predict the future!

2014-01-07 10:30 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

Just remember that weathermen are trying to predict the future!

I'm OK with that.......but I'm not OK with reporting the weather like it's the end of the world.   Naming winter storms is another ridiculous proposition.  Mostly, I hate all forms of media reporting. 

2014-01-07 10:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

HEAT DOME is my personal favorite term. I like to ride my bike in those.

2014-01-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

Let's not even have the discussion of Heat Dome and Polar Vortex coming together.......basically no survivors in that scenario....ask JIm Cantore.

2014-01-07 11:09 AM

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Let's not even have the discussion of Heat Dome and Polar Vortex coming together.......basically no survivors in that scenario....ask JIm Cantore.

• ..and I feel fine...

• 2014-01-07 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    honestly I am pretty impressed how actuate they are now days. they talked about the polar vortex and guess what? we got it. they predicted a ton of snow last week. guess what we got that too.

2014-01-07 1:12 PM
    in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 honestly I am pretty impressed how actuate they are now days. they talked about the polar vortex and guess what? we got it. they predicted a ton of snow last week. guess what we got that too.

Indeed....the reporters did a good job of predicting the catastrophic, crippling, and deadly termperatures of the polar vortex that affected over 200,000,000 people and nearly brought the airline industry to it's knees while stranding thousands of people with no hope of being reunited with loved ones for days, and perhaps weeks.  Meanwhile, another storm is taking shape over the Pacific and threatens cattle ranchers with the prospects of losing billions as cattle from Oregon to Montana graze in the path of yet another deadly storm.

2014-01-07 1:17 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 honestly I am pretty impressed how actuate they are now days. they talked about the polar vortex and guess what? we got it. they predicted a ton of snow last week. guess what we got that too.

Indeed....the reporters did a good job of predicting the catastrophic, crippling, and deadly termperatures of the polar vortex that affected over 200,000,000 people and nearly brought the airline industry to it's knees while stranding thousands of people with no hope of being reunited with loved ones for days, and perhaps weeks.  Meanwhile, another storm is taking shape over the Pacific and threatens cattle ranchers with the prospects of losing billions as cattle from Oregon to Montana graze in the path of yet another deadly storm.

Not only that, the running path near my house is all slippery!

2014-01-07 1:18 PM

User image

Pro

Not only that, the running path near my house is all slippery!

"We have reports of thousands at emergency rooms across the co0untry with broken bones and other life threatening injuries........like sprains and stuff."

2014-01-07 5:31 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    I was down in Mexico City on business last month. It was 70 degrees and my customer was wearing a fleece top zipped all the way up, I was hot in my blazer.

I also love it when the weather reporters make a big thing about the possibility of 1-2 inches of snow here in Denver, I don't even shovel the snow if it is less than three inches.

Edited by rick4657 2014-01-07 5:36 PM
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Weather reporters........ Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 31, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 2
    For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : November 29, 2011
    author : Pnlop
    comments : 0
    First race went better than expected!
    date : October 31, 2011
    author : hoffsquared
    comments : 1
    Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish

date : June 27, 2011
    author : FlashBang
    comments : 1
    Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.
    date : May 27, 2011
    author : sdswriter
    comments : 15
    A Middle-Aged, First-Time Triathlete Overcomes the Elements and Takes Care of Some Unfinished Business

date : November 19, 2006
    author : KevinKonczak
    Discussion on IM heart-rate zones, LT zone testing, off season focus, aero helmets, flats and tires, 650 or 700cc, cold weather and marathon recovery.
    date : April 17, 2005
    author : AMSSM
    Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.