General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming in warm/hot water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-09 8:46 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Swimming in warm/hot water
For some reason our local pool temperature is inversely related to the temperature outside. I don't know why this is, it just is. And they only have one pool which is supposed to be around 83. A compromise which makes no one happy, but it is what it is. I'm fine with it being 83, but in the winter it never is. When it's cold out side it creeps up, when it's polar outside, such as the past few days, it's climbed up to what feels like close to 90.

Question is, are there any drawbacks to this as far as effects? I figure it's not really a big deal, akin to running when it's really hot outside vs cooler. It's just more difficult. For me, I've had to slow my intervals down, because I feel faint after harder sets, and really have felt unable to complete my workouts if I go as hard as I'm able in normal water temps.

Should I try and push through and go as hard as I can, and just deal with the discomfort or is slowing down like I have been a better way to go?

2014-01-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Swimming in warm/hot water

that is the WORST. It is draining, simply draining. you need to drink lots of water/gatorade since you can't sweat and yet you are!  Jumping out of the water every once in a while and keeping a water bottle just to rinse you off helps too.  You do start to get used to it, but its virtually impossible to do intervals when its 85 degrees and above. When our outdoor pool gets that way, the coach keeps us at sets no longer than 200m b/c you really start to feel nauseous. Plus he sprays us with a hose.

78-80 is the ideal temp for sure.

2014-01-09 8:56 AM

User image

Pro

Make sure you bring a water bottle, and it wouldn't hurt to put some electrolytes in there. You'll be sweating and not even notice it.

I used to get lessons at a pool in a swim club where the average member age was over 70, and the water was always in the 80's.

2014-01-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Our masters group has accepted the fact that there are more noodle ladies than masters swimmers so their complaints are heard louder than ours. I always bring a full water bottle to workouts. When chlorine is high and you have 83 degrees it gets even more challenging. We've only stopped a workout short once due to high chlorine/hot temperature.
2014-01-09 10:15 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by reecealan

Our masters group has accepted the fact that there are more noodle ladies than masters swimmers so their complaints are heard louder than ours. I always bring a full water bottle to workouts. When chlorine is high and you have 83 degrees it gets even more challenging. We've only stopped a workout short once due to high chlorine/hot temperature.

Definitely make sure to drink water in between sets.

Our community has four Rec Centers with pools. One of the four caters more toward Senior Water Aerobics, I avoid that pool, the water temperature is usually in the low to mid 80s. The pool that use the most is almost exclusively used for lap swimming and swim teams, they keep the temperature cooler than the other three so it is less crowded, there are only 2-3 people swimming laps in that one at lunch.
2014-01-09 10:21 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville For some reason our local pool temperature is inversely related to the temperature outside. I don't know why this is, it just is. And they only have one pool which is supposed to be around 83. A compromise which makes no one happy, but it is what it is. I'm fine with it being 83, but in the winter it never is. When it's cold out side it creeps up, when it's polar outside, such as the past few days, it's climbed up to what feels like close to 90. Question is, are there any drawbacks to this as far as effects? I figure it's not really a big deal, akin to running when it's really hot outside vs cooler. It's just more difficult. For me, I've had to slow my intervals down, because I feel faint after harder sets, and really have felt unable to complete my workouts if I go as hard as I'm able in normal water temps. Should I try and push through and go as hard as I can, and just deal with the discomfort or is slowing down like I have been a better way to go?

My pool is 82-83 and it feels awesome! I should mention that it's also outside, so the air is in the 40s at morning practice.

But really, if the spike in pool temperature seems temporary, I'll try to do longer and less intense swims. Lots of technique work, kick sets, etc.

If it's not - figure out what works for you. There were days a high school practice where the pool literally did hit 90. We'd do lots of sprints with lots of rest (think 4x50 on the 2:00 when we're all coming in on 30-40 seconds) and we'd get out of the water between 50s... and sometimes even hit the shower to cool off between sets.

2014-01-09 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is common in the pool I train in at certain times of year--it's a semi-enclosed, passive solar setup, and sometimes there's A LOT of solar in the tropics (at the end of dry season), as well as triple-digit temps during the day and rarely below 80 at night. Definitely bring water/sports drink poolside and keep drinking, and do mainly shorter reps (50's, 100's) with more rest. I find a hot pool makes it easier for me to work on speed or form, because my muscles are warm. I'd avoid long sets (anything over 200m or so) or stuff with really minimal rest. If you are doing a big set, like 20 X 100m, maybe take an extra rest every 5 or so to swim an easy 50, or even get out of the pool for a minute to cool down.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-01-09 5:55 PM
2014-01-09 6:37 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Be careful, your bodies ability to dissipate heat is compromised in very warm water.

"Swimming in warm water becomes dangerous with long distances. In October 2010, a competitive swimmer died in near-90-degree degree water during a 10-km marathon. Water temperatures near 90 degree Fahreheit do not allow your body's heat to dissipate, according to Dr. Kenneth Kamler, author of "Surviving the Extremes: A Doctor's Journey to the Limits of Human Endurance." When interviewed by CNN, Kamler explained that this trapping of body heat can cause muscle spasms, possibly leading to heart arrhythmia or lung failure. Signs to watch for during warm water swims include nausea, headache and a lightheaded sensation"

2014-01-10 4:28 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Our masters group has accepted the fact that there are more noodle ladies than masters swimmers so their complaints are heard louder than ours.

Agree with this 100%! I work at a pool that has a very diverse mix of patrons (from mommy and me classes all the way to national level swim team practices). Our pool is usually around 83 degrees to accommodate our youngest and oldest patrons. Some of our older patrons have told me that since they are retired, they have plenty of time to focus their attention on things at the pool that bother them (like the water temperature).

Contrary to the stereotypes they are very good at sending emails!
2014-01-10 4:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I would be very careful at that temp, as others have stated bring lots of water and include some electrolytes in there. And take breaks!
2014-01-10 9:03 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Dunn Right

Our masters group has accepted the fact that there are more noodle ladies than masters swimmers so their complaints are heard louder than ours.

Agree with this 100%! I work at a pool that has a very diverse mix of patrons (from mommy and me classes all the way to national level swim team practices). Our pool is usually around 83 degrees to accommodate our youngest and oldest patrons. Some of our older patrons have told me that since they are retired, they have plenty of time to focus their attention on things at the pool that bother them (like the water temperature).

I am completely fine with it being 83 because of the fact that it's just one pool shared by a very diverse group, hell, I'm one of those on occasion with my 2 yr old, and I certainly don't want water in the 70's when I have him, except that it's never 83. It's been significantly warmer the past few weeks. They just don't seem to be able to compensate by lowering the temp to get it down to 83.

2014-01-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: yarislab

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by yarislab

I would be very careful at that temp, as others have stated bring lots of water and include some electrolytes in there. And take breaks!

I have been. I've been slowing my speed down, doing shorter intervals and longer rests. I need to remember the water though, as I'm not used to bringing it. I always have it in my head that, since I'm in water I don't need extra water.

I appreciate the tips from everyone, by the way
2014-01-10 9:35 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

90º and 100% humidity? That sounds like summer running in Florida. 

Definitely have a water bottle at the end of your lane.

2014-01-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

Be careful, your bodies ability to dissipate heat is compromised in very warm water.

"Swimming in warm water becomes dangerous with long distances. In October 2010, a competitive swimmer died in near-90-degree degree water during a 10-km marathon. Water temperatures near 90 degree Fahreheit do not allow your body's heat to dissipate, according to Dr. Kenneth Kamler, author of "Surviving the Extremes: A Doctor's Journey to the Limits of Human Endurance." When interviewed by CNN, Kamler explained that this trapping of body heat can cause muscle spasms, possibly leading to heart arrhythmia or lung failure. Signs to watch for during warm water swims include nausea, headache and a lightheaded sensation"

Hmmmm…. my pool must be warmer than I thought.

2014-01-10 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Drink your water. After your set, do a press out and sit on the wall during your rest interval.
2014-01-10 12:19 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

When I lived in south Texas and we had five straight MONTHS off 100+ degrees outside with only outdoor pools they got pretty toasty.  Mostly I tried to swim in the evening when at least the sun was not beating down on me in 90+ degree water.  Water, maybe some electrolytes depending on the length of your workout, You get used to the temp after a while.  I'm in Fl now and have a nice indoor pool they probably keep in the low 80s and its all good   For some reason the noodle ladies always seem to get their way at most pools, probably because they are all retired and have nothing better to do but complain about the water temp. 

2014-01-12 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

USMS Open Water Rules:

"302.5 Water Conditions
For swims of 3 miles or more, the swim, shall not begin if the water temperature exceeds 85° F""

FINA Open Water Rules:

"4.7 Water Temperature 
(a) The water temperature shall be measured 2 hours before the start of the race and must be a minimum of 16'C (60.8 F) and a maximum of 31 'C (87.8 F). The water  temperature shall be certified by the FINA Safety Delegate and the HMF/OC Safety Officer as measured in the middle of the course, at a depth of 40 centimeters."

I consider racing in water in excess of 85 F dangerous. The amount of risk depends on the swimmer health, the effort being made and duration of the swim. Clearly colder air temperatures might make it a bit safer, but I am in complete agreement with the USMS rules. The FINA rules were controversial when they came out. There were questions raised, and people suggested, that the high temperature limit was influenced by the temperature of professional races in the Middle East. I think training in water warmer than 85° is fraught with risk. Getting out occasionally to take cold showers or drinking ice water (with cubes) would probably make it a bit safer.

Edited by E=H2O 2014-01-12 7:54 PM
2014-01-13 1:02 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Go hard until you puke and then blame the pool being too hot.
2014-01-13 5:27 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Originally posted by Dunn Right

I am completely fine with it being 83 because of the fact that it's just one pool shared by a very diverse group, hell, I'm one of those on occasion with my 2 yr old, and I certainly don't want water in the 70's when I have him, except that it's never 83. It's been significantly warmer the past few weeks. They just don't seem to be able to compensate by lowering the temp to get it down to 83.

That's surprising...any time we have an issue with our heater the water temp drops (which would seem pretty obvious).

A high temperature will also affect the saturation index and, depending on other chemical levels in the water, could be damaging the pool.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming in warm/hot water Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wet suit in warm water

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 784 Posts: 9

2007-06-22 10:14 AM JohnnyKay

warm water on bike and other random ?'s

Started by newbie13
Views: 1058 Posts: 17

2007-06-19 7:33 AM Rocket Man

effect of swimming in warmer water

Started by rotceh222
Views: 968 Posts: 5

2007-04-28 10:08 PM mcole158

cold water + vaseline...warm or crazy?

Started by madeye
Views: 3985 Posts: 7

2005-04-13 9:47 AM madeye

worried about warm water no wetsuit (Newbie)

Started by jeanneroth
Views: 780 Posts: 3

2004-06-16 4:54 PM TriClyde
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 9, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
An easy, healthy hot meal you can quickly cook with many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : September 3, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : September 3, 2004
Reasons why yoga will help endurance athletes prevent injuries through stretching.