General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The heart can handle it but the legs can't Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-10 11:51 AM

User image

The 951
Subject: The heart can handle it but the legs can't
Training for the SD Rock and Roll Marathon in June with a goal of coming in under 4 hours. I don't really have a plan plus I'm pretty bad at sticking to them anyway.

When I run at a reasonable effort my heart rate normally stays around 155-165 (I'm 48 yo) but I feel my speed isn't commensurate with the HR. For example yesterday, I was running the last 5 miles of a pretty flat half Mary at 160 bpm and my pace dropped to the hi 8s and low 9s min / mile after a good start at the low to mid 8s. I really felt I can go faster but my legs won't.

I went through 2 oz of slightly watered down honey, 12 oz of water and a couple of handfuls of jelly beans through out the run.

I can run a 5K in 21 so guess my question is how can I build muscle endurance for a long run? I can only run 3x a week because I'm an adult onset swimmer (less than a year) and that takes up most of my time.

Thanks.

2014-01-10 11:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: The heart can handle it but the legs can't
What has your run training been like leading into this half marathon (how many runs per week, time/distance covered, intensity, consistency in training, etc....)?

ETA: Just noticed you said 3x/week - that leaves the question of distance & intensity. FWIW, IMO, training for a full marathon on 3 runs per week probably won't get you where you want to be. You have to set some priorities, and if the priority is swimming right now, progressing your run may be a little more difficult.

Edited by jsnowash 2014-01-10 12:02 PM
2014-01-10 12:04 PM
in reply to: jsnowash

User image

Expert
Floriduh
FWIW, I almost always find that the wall in my running is mental.
2014-01-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

For my last half marathon I was only able to run three days a week too.

I mixed my distances up and did intervals and had great success progressively getting faster. I agree the best way to truly increase your times and endurance is to increase your frequency of days and distance, but if you decide that swimming needs to stay the main priority, than I would highly suggest intervals.

Get your heart rate up and then bring it back down to a moderate level and then push yourself to climb back up to your higher range.

The last 1/2 I did was in late May and I ran 3 days a week and ran every other day during the week all winter and spring leading up the main event. Generally it was Tues/Thurs/Sat. Tuesday was a shorter day at a moderate consistent pace, Thursday was my interval day. I'd run 1/2 mile easy, than push hard for 1/2 mile and then back to easy for another 1/2 mile You can certainly adopt this method for any distance, just my example here). Then my Saturday was a long slow distance. This gave me Sunday to recover from any activity and I'd get back to the gym on Monday for strength and allow my legs a break to recover so I'd be fresh again on Tuesday.

There are a lot of great methods out there in numerous books, magazines, sites, etc. I personally had good luck with this though. I found this method in a runners world magazine long ago and loved it. I increased my distance by 10% every couple weeks and kept injury free and my mile times continued to come down and I PR'd by 1/2.

Best of luck with your running.

Alex
2014-01-10 12:56 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You need to run more.  If you limit yourself to 3x/wk, you will be limited in the pace of your progress.  Not saying you can't make progress (you can), just that it will take time.  For now, start your runs slower.  You don't want to be fading at the end.

2014-01-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

You need to run more. 

X2

2014-01-10 2:59 PM

User image

I can run a 5K in 21 so guess my question is how can I build muscle endurance for a long run? I can only run 3x a week because I'm an adult onset swimmer (less than a year) and that takes up most of my time.

Agree with LB and others-- you need to run more. If you are only running 3x/week, your endurance will be limited and you'll see a large dropoff in speed as distances get longer.

What you're experiencing is completely normal and can only be overcome with more run training. Swimming is great exercise, but the swimming training time will not carry over to running training.
2014-01-10 3:24 PM

With a 5k of 21min and a marathon of 4hrs, the answer really is that easy.

Run more. A lot more, if possible. If you're doing it right, almost all your miles with be at conversational pace but you will be running so many miles that your legs feel kind of dead by the end of the week. Build up slowly, of course.

The marathon, as you're finding is a race that places a heavy premium on overall volume, and less so on raw leg speed for AGers. You will essentially run the whole race at a high-aerobic zone, with the exception of the last 10-15 minutes if you have any gas in the tank, so doing high-HR workouts will have much less of an impact on the marathon result, say, compared to a 5k.

And for what it's worth, if you're using the Mcmillan calculator or other calculators to estimate your marathon potential of your 5k time, in most cases it takes people 70 miles per week of training to hit that Mcmilan estimate, and that's on a very favorable (flat/downhill) course in ideal conditions. So adjust your expectations accordingly.

I'd recommend trying out a marathon structured plan with mileage targets just slightly higher than what you're doing now to get on the right track if you're serious about it.

Edited by yazmaster 2014-01-10 3:25 PM
2014-01-10 3:44 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

Run more. A lot more, if possible. If you're doing it right, almost all your miles with be at conversational pace but you will be running so many miles that your legs feel kind of dead by the end of the week. Build up slowly, of course.

The marathon, as you're finding is a race that places a heavy premium on overall volume, and less so on raw leg speed for AGers. You will essentially run the whole race at a high-aerobic zone, with the exception of the last 10-15 minutes if you have any gas in the tank, so doing high-HR workouts will have much less of an impact on the marathon result, say, compared to a 5k.

And for what it's worth, if you're using the Mcmillan calculator or other calculators to estimate your marathon potential of your 5k time, in most cases it takes people 70 miles per week of training to hit that Mcmilan estimate, and that's on a very favorable (flat/downhill) course in ideal conditions. So adjust your expectations accordingly.

I'd recommend trying out a marathon structured plan with mileage targets just slightly higher than what you're doing now to get on the right track if you're serious about it.

Yaz.....where is the source for that?  Not ready to call BS,  but that seems crazy to me.....280 miles per month?

2014-01-10 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Your times and goals are similar to mine and have caused me great frustration.  Last 5k 21:12 with a sub 4 -hour marathon goal in a few months.  Last marathon in October 4:09.  Last year, I ran 4 marathons and they all imploded in the last 6 miles despite averaging 100 miles a month for last two years.  Bottomline is that 20-25 miles a week in nowhere near what it takes to really drop your marathon time.  I thought that all the biking and swimming I was doing should make up for it.  From a cardiovascular standpoint, the crosstraining certainly helped.  I never felt gassed.  Just did not have the leg strength that comes from running lots of miles to carry me through the final miles.

I'm up just over 40 miles a week now (working towards 50) with some limited speedwork and it has made all the difference in the world with my running strength.  I think it is really tough to get in the kind of miles you need without running at least 5 days a week and preferably 6 or 7.  The additional days do not need to be fast or long for you to realize the physical adaptations that you are looking for.

2014-01-10 6:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yaz.....where is the source for that?  Not ready to call BS,  but that seems crazy to me.....280 miles per month?

It's true. There have been several correlations done and this is what it takes on average. Otherwise you should add at least 10 minutes or more to the McMillan predictions.

My half-marathon time is 1:47 which in theory predicts about a 3:45 marathon. The closest I've come has been 4:06, and I was doing 45-50 miles per week, peaking at about 60.

2014-01-10 6:48 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
Originally posted by Left Brain

It's true. There have been several correlations done and this is what it takes on average. Otherwise you should add at least 10 minutes or more to the McMillan predictions. My half-marathon time is 1:47 which in theory predicts about a 3:45 marathon. The closest I've come has been 4:06, and I was doing 45-50 miles per week, peaking at about 60.

No....it depends heavily on how fast you are at shorter distances.  There is no way in hell a person who runs a 30 minute 5K has to run 280 miles per month in order to run a 4:13 marathon.....that's just wrong.  By the same token, my son runs a 4:30 mile and it has him predicted at a 1:57:00 marathon......NO amount of running is going to make that happen. 

On the other hand, when I plug his 5K time in it shows he can run a 2:13:00 marathon.....yeah, I can easily see the 280 mile per month number being relative, probable even light.  Then again, most calculators can't agree either.....another has his marathon time at 2:34.

Like all things with running, blanket statements don't usually cut it.

This will be interesting discussion this weekend here......we are hosting a couple of sub 2:30 marathoners.....brain picking time.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-10 6:58 PM
2014-01-10 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

whenever people ask questions like this on BT it is always extremely helpful to have up to date training logs.  there is no way to know if you are running enough or if your ratio of hard/easy runs is good.

off topic but in response to your post: if your an adult onset swimmer then you know you are only going to improve so much there before you are going to hit plateau after plateau... spend most of your training time elsewhere. an extra 3 hours a week running/cycling will pay off a lot more than 3 more hours swimming when it comes to general fitness and overall race time.

Edited by Clempson 2014-01-10 7:13 PM
2014-01-10 7:29 PM

User image

LB- I'm not exactly sure where you are getting those numbers.

A 4:30 mile time predicts about a 2:30 marathon, which is within reason for someone of that speed. But yes, you do need a lot of mileage (and the predicting power of the calculators goes down when there is a huge difference in race distances compared).

On the other hand, someone with a 30-minute 5K time gets about a 4:50 marathon with the predictors. Most people I know that run 5-hour-ish marathons can run a 5K quite a bit faster than 30 minutes by the time they finish the marathon training.

The 70 mile per week estimate comes from correlations of MANY marathon times and what people report as miles per week. It works best for people in the 3-4 hour marathon range, and yes, there will be outliers,

FWIW, I participate in other running websites, and monthly marathon mileage in the 280 miles per week range (not every month, but in the peak months) is not uncommon. And not everyone hits their predicted times. Some people do hit their predicted times if they are doing in the range of 230-250 miles per month, but most of them add about 10 minutes to their predicted times to get reasonable goals. It also depends on the type of training you do and your relative speed vs. distance ability.

you might find this interesting. http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id64.html

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-01-10 7:37 PM
2014-01-10 7:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jennifer_runs LB- I'm not exactly sure where you are getting those numbers. A 4:30 mile time predicts about a 2:30 marathon, which is within reason for someone of that speed. But yes, you do need a lot of mileage (and the predicting power of the calculators goes down when there is a huge difference in race distances compared). On the other hand, someone with a 30-minute 5K time gets about a 4:50 marathon with the predictors. Most people I know that run 5-hour-ish marathons can run a 5K quite a bit faster than 30 minutes by the time they finish the marathon training. The 70 mile per week estimate comes from correlations of MANY marathon times and what people report as miles per week. It works best for people in the 3-4 hour marathon range, and yes, there will be outliers, FWIW, I participate in other running websites, and monthly marathon mileage in the 280 miles per week range (not every month, but in the peak months) is not uncommon. And not everyone hits their predicted times. Some people do hit their predicted times if they are doing in the range of 230-250 miles per month, but most of them add about 10 minutes to their predicted times to get reasonable goals. It also depends on the type of training you do and your relative speed vs. distance ability. you might find this interesting. http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id64.html

I'll take your word for it.....and yeah, I know that serious marathoners are always around that 300 mile per month mark at peak training.

Here's the calculator that had the crazy numbers.....maybe the person who did the calculations was on Meth.  

http://easycalculation.com/sports/mcmillan-running-calculator.php 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-10 7:42 PM
2014-01-10 8:20 PM

Wrong site. I don't know where you got that site, but that one seems way too aggressive based upon what I'm entering in.

This is the REAL Mcmillan calc website, with the calculator we're all referring to. It's very common knowledge in running circles and as mentioned above, one of the most common questions on any marathon forum is "Can I hit my Mcmillan estimate?" which is why that 70mpw number comes up frequently when talking about hitting the estimate.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

2014-01-10 8:49 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Wrong site. I don't know where you got that site, but that one seems way too aggressive based upon what I'm entering in.

This is the REAL Mcmillan calc website, with the calculator we're all referring to. It's very common knowledge in running circles and as mentioned above, one of the most common questions on any marathon forum is "Can I hit my Mcmillan estimate?" which is why that 70mpw number comes up frequently when talking about hitting the estimate.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

I've played around with Mcmillan (and I just clicked on the first link to find that screwy calculator)......I still maintain your 70 mpw number gets more accurate the faster you are.  Using the 30:00 5K example again.....no way does someone need to run 70 mpw to hit a 4:52 marathon......but moving down to the 5K times I'm watching, sure, 280 miles per month to hit a 2:34 marathon seems about right based on how little they run to hit 15:XX 5K's.  Like I said, later tonight I'll have some sub 2:30 marathoners at the house so maybe sometime this weekend I can eavesdrop when my kid is grilling them.

2014-01-11 7:43 AM

They will likely have to. The odds that someone running a 9:50/mi pace 5k all out, will be able to run faster than a 4:52 marathon on low mileage are almost zero.

I think you're also neglecting the improvement factor as well though. It's def true that a 30min 5k runner whos let's say, M45, will no longer be a 30min 5k runner if they ramp up to 70mpw like on Pfitz. In fact, there's a good chance they'll becomes a 22 min 5k runner or faster. You would have to then update your times in the calculator.

But for sure, there are a lot of senior runners (55+ age group), many of whom are Boston Qualifiers at around the 4-5hr mark, who in fact run all of those 70 miles per week to get their Pfitz times. Even these runners say the same thing - you need on average 70 mpw to hit that Pfitz time. (Some require less, more actually require more.)

Edited by yazmaster 2014-01-11 7:44 AM
2014-01-11 8:10 AM

User image

The 951
I have a tri in Feb. but nothing after that except maybe a couple of organized HMs to prep me for RnR, it looks like I'll have to sacrifice some swim time during the spring to buff up the run.

2014-01-11 4:04 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Hitting a McMillan Calculator equivalent time for a marathon is hard for most people. I have certainly never achieved this myself, although the time equivalents are pretty good for me at other distances. This is because most of us have a physiological profile that's stronger at shorter distances, and also don't have sufficient run volume to meet the calculator's equivalent times (note that it describes "time equivalents", not "predicted times").

Run volume is needed in order to meet the demands of repetitive eccentric muscle contraction under high load, i.e., pounding. The eccentric contractions are not terribly demanding aerobically. But they are very hard on the legs, especially untrained legs. The muscles basically need to lengthen, but in a controlled fashion, while the strong force of your body landing is trying to force them to lengthen very quickly. So the muscles must actively *resist* lengthening, so as to slow the process down. They are only partly successful in this, and this leads to (micro-)damage, which in turn leads to less efficient running. Running lots trains the body to be better at this, and to resist the damage for longer. Aerobic capacity is not the primary limiter.

This is why after a marathon the muscles that feel most sore are the ones that undergo the most demanding eccentric contractions, e.g., quads. And that's why walking down stairs after a marathon is so very hard.

As a point of comparison, imagine that you're walking downhill after a long hike in the mountains. You don't get out of breath, but your legs probably do get increasingly tired/sore, and you gradually lose fine control over your walking action. As you do more downhill hiking this gets to be less of a problem for you. This is very similar to the effect of run volume on endurance for long races. The lungs/HR are not the limiters.
2014-01-12 6:38 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Back in the day my MacMillan times were actually pretty much on target for 5 km through marathon, and only slightly off for 3 km/2 miles. I'm guessing as I had more natural talent for the endurance events, but a lot more experience racing at 5 km (the length of HS and college cross country) so I knew how to pace it better to maximize my potential, so it kind of balanced out.

Short answer....regardless of your 5K time, you need to run more. Even if you have a natural talent for endurance running, 3X a week is just not going to cut it. I ran my first marathon (a few seconds under 3 hours) at 14 with (I think) a 5K PR of just under 19 minutes. I did NOT do it on 3 runs week. I'm guessing 5-6 runs and maybe 35-40 mpw max. I also swam competitively so had spent most of the previous winter swimming about 50,000m a week, which built a very strong engine. I was underprepared (though, at that age, it was probably better than running higher mileage) and suffered a lot in the last six miles of the race. The marathon is a lot of pounding and time on your feet and there is just no substitute for running to get used to that, no matter how good your engine is. The above training is probably close to some kind of ultimate minimum assuming relative talent for endurance running, extremely light weight (I was maybe 5' 5" and 105 pounds at the time), and very high cardio fitness. Most people would do well with more as long as they can stay injury free; exactly where that fine line lies between "enough" and "too much" will be different for everyone and for the same person at different stages of their running life.

2014-01-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner The marathon is a lot of pounding and time on your feet and there is just no substitute for running to get used to that, no matter how good your engine is. The above training is probably close to some kind of ultimate minimum assuming relative talent for endurance running, extremely light weight (I was maybe 5' 5" and 105 pounds at the time), and very high cardio fitness. Most people would do well with more as long as they can stay injury free; exactly where that fine line lies between "enough" and "too much" will be different for everyone and for the same person at different stages of their running life.

I think the differences in people must be huge. 

Last night I passed beers to a couple of guys who stayed at our house while they made their way home from a coaching clinic.  One is a 2:26 marathoner, the other 2:31.  The "faster" of the two runs a 16:20 5K, and the other was once under 15:00, had been to Africa to train, etc......very knowledgeable guys regarding running.  One of them said he had never ran 70 miles in a week in his life, while the other said he had been over 70 miles numerous times training for races, but for short periods, but considered those miles to absolutely important.  And then he pointed to the other and said, but I can't swim like he can......and we got into a smaller discussion about cross training.  They both were of the opinion that cross training absolutely CAN take the place of some running for aerobic endurance work, but both also agreed that the cross training had to be able to be done at a very high level.  In other words, if you can swim 40,000 yards per week, and are capable of doing most of your 100"s in the 1:00-105 range then it certainly crosses over and helps you be able to keep the miles off your legs.  As for biking, both also agreed there is benefit there to running, but only if you are riding 50-75 miles and holding high watts and cadence.  Both also agreed that the slow swimming that most of us do will not transfer to our running, nor will the riding that a lot of us do.

Neither said that running less is an answer to faster running, but both said that running more doesn't have to be the answer..... but it's the easiest answer. They said speed/focused work is essential, as is drilling, but neither would commit to what was best for the average runner, saying that speed work is a very individual thing, but both recommended drills.  And then one of them said, "run lot's of 400's, and the other laughed and agreed."

The best parts of the discussion centered around their experience with Africa and African runners.....where "sub 14 minute 5K's are so common that there are people who do it and nobody cares."  That's crazy.

Both of them believed that in order to make serious gains in running it was very beneficial to have a coach who understood that there is no one way that fits everyone and tailors a plan to a person's specific strengths and weaknesses.  And they also agreed that if you put 10 people in a room who had a run background you'd eventually have 10 people disagreeing about something with regard to training and running. 

Pretty interesting night here.

2014-01-12 7:33 PM

Well this thread got interesting considering the answer to the original question is so darn easy. . . run more.

IMO, maybe its not 70, but if I had to guess, you would need at least 55-60 to hit the McMillian estimates from 5k to marathon. The calculator assumes a great deal of muscular endurance. I believe the cross training we get from swimming and biking translates into faster times in shorter distances than we should be able to do based on MPW. However, the lack of overall MPW becomes more evident as we extend out the distance of the race.

Using my own data, in peak form, I can run 19 minute 5k's. The McMillian calculator says I can pull off a 39 min 10k and a 3:05 marathon. However, at peak form, I've only pulled off a 41 min 10k and a 3:27 marathon. That difference IMO is the lack of muscular strength b/c I have to split time between three sports and can't just go out and hit 60 MPW. Even on my build ups to the marathon where I was able to get in several weeks in the 40-48 MPW range, it wasn't nearly enough.

2014-01-12 8:06 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ziggie204 Well this thread got interesting considering the answer to the original question is so darn easy. . . run more. IMO, maybe its not 70, but if I had to guess, you would need at least 55-60 to hit the McMillian estimates from 5k to marathon. The calculator assumes a great deal of muscular endurance. I believe the cross training we get from swimming and biking translates into faster times in shorter distances than we should be able to do based on MPW. However, the lack of overall MPW becomes more evident as we extend out the distance of the race. Using my own data, in peak form, I can run 19 minute 5k's. The McMillian calculator says I can pull off a 39 min 10k and a 3:05 marathon. However, at peak form, I've only pulled off a 41 min 10k and a 3:27 marathon. That difference IMO is the lack of muscular strength b/c I have to split time between three sports and can't just go out and hit 60 MPW. Even on my build ups to the marathon where I was able to get in several weeks in the 40-48 MPW range, it wasn't nearly enough.

In our discussion, both said that you could, but that you would need to be at a high level of swimming and cycling to have it transfer to something usable in running.....it was a pretty interesting discussion.  Both said that the type of swimming the majority of us do would not transfer to anything useful in running......but that very well trained swimmers got a lot of benefit from their workouts.....both in aerobic capacity and strength of hip flexors from kicking. Still, we were talking about being able to make up those 10-15 miles between 60 and 75 per month with cross training.  Both had ran at least 60 mpw to hit their marathon times (with a good deal of speed work, but both are highly skilled and trained)....but both emphasized that those long weeks were for short duration.  From discussions I have read here that gets lost pretty easily as people throw around the high mileage.....those are usually peak miles.

2014-01-12 8:57 PM

I definitely see the big aerobic engine helping a lot for shorter distance running where VO2max is often a limiter and the muscular endurance in your legs is not. 

However, in the marathon, you never even run faster than high aerobic pace if you're doing it right (nowhere near threshold or 1-hr max pace), and you barely even get out of breath for 25 of the 26 miles. So a huge aerobic engine isn't crucial, whereas the muscular endurance in the legs is absolutely the critical component. Nobody ever quits a marathon because they were huffing and puffing too hard - everyone quits because their legs cramp and then they're forced to call it a day.

I seriously doubt that the eccentric contracts of running could be compensated for even with vigorous kicking in swimming. You'd get far more run benefits by just adding 5-10 easy run miles per week than by doing 30,000 kick yards at high intensity in the pool.

I agree with what those guys said - for ITU racing and even standalone run events up to the half marathon. But I really think the marathon is a different beast. Honestly, unless you've actually done it yourself, you really have no idea how different the challenges of racing a full marathon are compared to triathlon racing.  Lots of triathletes can 'fake' a fast half marathon by x-training, but none of them can fake a full marathon (run as fast as a legitimate Mcmillan estimate). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The heart can handle it but the legs can't Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

TT bike handling vs. road bike handling

Started by odpaul7
Views: 4683 Posts: 19

2012-11-19 4:39 PM morey000

High heart rate for run leg

Started by mary_wilcox
Views: 1839 Posts: 11

2012-08-11 6:21 AM remout

Tired legs v. conditioned heart

Started by kcovert1
Views: 4119 Posts: 17

2008-11-19 3:14 PM Daremo

Cardio idea's when you can't use your legs?

Started by Kroner
Views: 3775 Posts: 14

2008-11-07 3:47 PM Kroner

Per MSNBC: Exercise unleashes a bounce bras can't handle

Started by Ridgelake
Views: 1554 Posts: 19

2007-09-16 8:36 PM Atlantia
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : April 27, 2012
author : myred86
comments : 4
So much of what I thought a triathlon simply wasn't correct. How an okay Masters swimmer makes it through his first triathlon - slowly!
date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...

date : September 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I went to the pool the other day and realized I can't float at all. It makes it really hard to swim properly. I get no propulsion from my kick. Any suggestions?
date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.

date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?
date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I found that my heart rate was maxed at 95% and averaged 80% for the bike and run with no breathing problems. However, I just couldn't seem to get more out of my legs. Thoughts?

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.