I don't ever test5 Votes - [9.09%]
What's an FTP ?3 Votes - [5.45%]

2014-01-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: How do you test your FTP ?
Originally posted by tomspharmacy
I do the standard 5' hard - easy - 20 to 25' protocol and take a % of that, usu. 94% to be on the safe side for a full hour. I also have a weekly way of estimating my ftp when I do vo2max sets on my trainer.

You are with the majority
It looks like the TR 20' test is just that.
So most (66% or more) are doing a % of 20min, some are doing the 5' all out before.

2014-01-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by tomspharmacy I do the standard 5' hard - easy - 20 to 25' protocol and take a % of that, usu. 94% to be on the safe side for a full hour. I also have a weekly way of estimating my ftp when I do vo2max sets on my trainer.
You are with the majority It looks like the TR 20' test is just that. So most (66% or more) are doing a % of 20min, some are doing the 5' all out before.

Do you know where the % comes from?  Is there an article or data that says 95% is the number to be used (the one used at our testing) vs. 90% or some other number?  Just curious.

2014-01-17 9:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by tomspharmacy I do the standard 5' hard - easy - 20 to 25' protocol and take a % of that, usu. 94% to be on the safe side for a full hour. I also have a weekly way of estimating my ftp when I do vo2max sets on my trainer.
You are with the majority It looks like the TR 20' test is just that. So most (66% or more) are doing a % of 20min, some are doing the 5' all out before.

Do you know where the % comes from?  Is there an article or data that says 95% is the number to be used (the one used at our testing) vs. 90% or some other number?  Just curious.

I don't know where it comes from. I suspect it's not always that accurate however :-)

I believe, and I am not sure of this, it's from tons and tons of data they have seen over the years. But I also suspect a lot of that data is from cyclists, not triathletes. I may be very wrong.

Edited by marcag 2014-01-17 9:54 AM
2014-01-17 9:50 AM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by MonkeyClaw

Full admission time - I never test my FTP. I use Training Peaks and Golden Cheetah to tell me my FTP. If they differ, I split the difference. I base all of my zones on this and it has worked very well for me.

This wouldn't work well on a trainer because you don't have the same stressors as real-world riding. Go outside, hammer up hills, go hard for 20 minutes, do a few TT's, etc. and you'll have a good idea of the power you can put out.

If you are using trainer road 'virtual power' this method won't work of course. Most people don't go hard enough on the trainer anyway.

This is what I had done the past couple years.
Did my first 5' and then 20' test on the trainer a couple weeks ago. It was within a few watts of what I expected.
2014-01-17 9:55 AM

User image

Pro

I don't know where it comes from. I suspect it's not that accurate however :-) I believe, and I am not sure of this, it's from tons and tons of data they have seen over the years. But I also suspect a lot of that data is from cyclists, not triathletes. I may be very wrong.

So, what do you think would be more accurate?  Again, I'm asking out of curiousity and the desire to get as far on top of training with power and wattage as I can.

Like I said, 95% of avg. power over 20 minutes was used for our testing.  There were 14 people tested that day and I have ridden with all of them and watched all of them race......the numbers came out like I would expect as far as strongest to weakest cyclist.....and the testing was done by pro cyclists and pro cycling coaches.  I'm not saying you are wrong by any stretch.....just wading through the information.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-17 9:55 AM
2014-01-17 10:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

I don't know where it comes from. I suspect it's not that accurate however :-) I believe, and I am not sure of this, it's from tons and tons of data they have seen over the years. But I also suspect a lot of that data is from cyclists, not triathletes. I may be very wrong.

So, what do you think would be more accurate?  Again, I'm asking out of curiousity and the desire to get as far on top of training with power and wattage as I can.

Like I said, 95% of avg. power over 20 minutes was used for our testing.  There were 14 people tested that day and I have ridden with all of them and watched all of them race......the numbers came out like I would expect as far as strongest to weakest cyclist.....and the testing was done by pro cyclists and pro cycling coaches.  I'm not saying you are wrong by any stretch.....just wading through the information.

I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong'. The only truly 'right' is to go full tilt for an hour. Everything else is an estimate. They should all be pretty close unless you are a big outlier that produces huge short watts but can't hang on or you have no short power but can churn it out for 20'. Most people fall in between.

It is 'good enough' to set zones and train and retest repeatedly without destroying yourself with a 1 hour test. If you are a roadie and not a triathlete you should probably be testing 5", 30", 1', 3', 5' and everywhere to identify weakness and that will come with hard group rides and races (in their case a 5' and 20' would be informative than slapping a percentage on a 20' test because you have more than one data point to extrapolate from).

I actually don't think your FTP/CP is a static number anyway and changes a few watts here and there depending on how you feel that day. That is why you often see ranges of prescribed output targets. If you don't hit it right on, it really doesn't matter as long as you are in your prescribed range and accomplishing the goals of the session.

2014-01-17 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

There was a study or two that found that 20' power was very close to 1hr power for most cyclists, but I can't find the studies themselves off the top of my head.  I believe that's where Allen and Coggan got the 95% number http://www.hunterallenpowerblog.com/2012/06/process-of-power.html

If you really want the most accurate FTP, then riding an hour all out is the answer, but most people (myself included) have little interest in such a benchmark.

2014-01-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Off-season I do a 5' 20' on separate days 3x 8 weeks apart. During the season I use my race files
2014-01-17 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

I know from several TT races from 25k to 40k over the past 2 years that I'm not exactly 95% of my all out 20 minute, it's roughly 92 to 94%. I use this to be conservative, esp. when I use this to base my HIM pacing, I go for 85% NP off of the most recent tests. My last TT in sept. I went out for the first 20 minutes at about 360w, but my power dropped to 305 for the remainder of the race... instead of using 360 x .95, my NP showed about 326... I dropped it to 320 when I used 85% NP for the HIM race the next month in Nov. I had an NP of 272 - AP of 265... and PR'd the bike split by a wide margin and still ran a PR off the bike... I'm just trying to be slightly conservative that's all... overreaching with an ego will lead to explosion.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2014-01-17 10:37 AM
2014-01-17 10:47 AM

User image

Pro

These threads have really cut down on my learning curve with regard to training with power......thanks.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-01-17 10:48 AM
2014-01-17 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I recently read stuff from Coggan himself where he distances himself from the protocol, says it's actually Hunter Allen's, says one test will over estimate and one under estimates and then explains the CP model and says good things about it.

2014-01-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by JAYCT

I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong'. The only truly 'right' is to go full tilt for an hour. Everything else is an estimate. They should all be pretty close unless you are a big outlier that produces huge short watts but can't hang on or you have no short power but can churn it out for 20'. Most people fall in between.

It is 'good enough' to set zones and train and retest repeatedly without destroying yourself with a 1 hour test. If you are a roadie and not a triathlete you should probably be testing 5", 30", 1', 3', 5' and everywhere to identify weakness and that will come with hard group rides and races (in their case a 5' and 20' would be informative than slapping a percentage on a 20' test because you have more than one data point to extrapolate from).

I actually don't think your FTP/CP is a static number anyway and changes a few watts here and there depending on how you feel that day. That is why you often see ranges of prescribed output targets. If you don't hit it right on, it really doesn't matter as long as you are in your prescribed range and accomplishing the goals of the session.

Using a percentage is a rule of thumb, and no matter what the data says it is individual. It is similar to the protocol for IM racing. Data says AG athletes should race between a certain percentage of their FTP, but what if they do not have the fitness to ride at that percentage, or what if they are fit enough and can ride above that percentage? This is where looking at past training data, reading logs, observing how the body felt, etc is extremely important. If you do not have a coach to do this, don't just look at the numbers of % and think that is your range.
2014-01-17 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I'm with LB - this is very helpful!

Here's a follow on question:  If you don't already have a pretty good sense of your FTP, how do you set your targets FOR the test (whichever method you use)?

I'm about to head out on the bike and give it a go today (first test in like 1.5 years - I've just been estimating for a while based on my rides).  Since I've been off the bike more than on it for the last few months, I have almost NO idea what I'm going to target.

I think I'll start with something that feel like I *might* be able to handle 15' of (which is alway too high for 1 minute and then I settle down to a number that is too low cuz I'm a-skeered!), then crank it up one notch/zone at 10' and either blow up or crank it again for the last 3 minutes or so.

I'm going to do this on a loop nearby that is a common TT loop in summer (though I've not participated in them - but hope to this year) and that I know well, so I have a sense of what I should feel like as I go if I'm cranking it out.

How do you all approach target setting for target setting (argh!  Testing to go do a test - it's like a nightmare within a nightmare!).  

Matt

2014-01-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Ben, not sure what you are saying. Someone needs a coach to figure out how hard to ride?
It isn't that hard to do intervals around 95% of your ftp. Then, go train long at 2-4hrs at 85% and see how you feel. If you ride a few thousand miles with a power meter and can't figure out where you blow up, then yes get a coach but it isn't rocket science.
2014-01-17 11:45 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Here's a follow on question:  If you don't already have a pretty good sense of your FTP, how do you set your targets FOR the test (whichever method you use)?

I'm about to head out on the bike and give it a go today (first test in like 1.5 years - I've just been estimating for a while based on my rides).  Since I've been off the bike more than on it for the last few months, I have almost NO idea what I'm going to target.

I think I'll start with something that feel like I *might* be able to handle 15' of (which is alway too high for 1 minute and then I settle down to a number that is too low cuz I'm a-skeered!), then crank it up one notch/zone at 10' and either blow up or crank it again for the last 3 minutes or so.

I'm going to do this on a loop nearby that is a common TT loop in summer (though I've not participated in them - but hope to this year) and that I know well, so I have a sense of what I should feel like as I go if I'm cranking it out.

How do you all approach target setting for target setting (argh!  Testing to go do a test - it's like a nightmare within a nightmare!).  

Matt

Matt, I'm not a power expert or anything, but I've done enough riding with power and testing that I, honestly, would not do a power test on my first ride back from a long-ish break.  If it were me, I'd probably go out and ride that TT loop reasonably hard, but with no expectations....I'd probably do that a few times over a week or so.  Analyze the data and get a good idea of what you think you can do for a true power test.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again....but pacing a power test is crucial.  The first one I did, I went out really hard for a couple minutes, quickly realized I was not going to be able to hold it, nearly died, dropped the power way down for a large chunk of the test, and eventually rallied a little bit.  Of course, this resulted in a TERRIBLE estimate of my FTP.  The reason this happened?  It was my first time ever, with absolutely no experience training with power before, and I just tried to chase a stupid number.

My recent tests have been so much better because I have an idea of what I am capable of....set a goal and a stretch goal.  I also know, from experience, that I do much better on these tests if I start a little low and build throughout.

2014-01-17 3:22 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Matt

Matt, I'm not a power expert or anything, but I've done enough riding with power and testing that I, honestly, would not do a power test on my first ride back from a long-ish break.  If it were me, I'd probably go out and ride that TT loop reasonably hard, but with no expectations....I'd probably do that a few times over a week or so.  Analyze the data and get a good idea of what you think you can do for a true power test.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again....but pacing a power test is crucial.  The first one I did, I went out really hard for a couple minutes, quickly realized I was not going to be able to hold it, nearly died, dropped the power way down for a large chunk of the test, and eventually rallied a little bit.  Of course, this resulted in a TERRIBLE estimate of my FTP.  The reason this happened?  It was my first time ever, with absolutely no experience training with power before, and I just tried to chase a stupid number.

My recent tests have been so much better because I have an idea of what I am capable of....set a goal and a stretch goal.  I also know, from experience, that I do much better on these tests if I start a little low and build throughout.

Thanks Nicole.  I get that chasing a number is not going to be a "dialed in" test, for sure.  I've ridden this course enough to have a good idea of what it feels like and what to expect (at least in season), and I have been riding in the basement lately (just not anything like my in season numbers).  At least I knew these roads very well and could push with about as much "safety" as you can during a TT on an open road (in winter, with traffic and snow and ice and giant-bike-swallowing potholes and such).

So, given a couple recent rides (and Strava's estimate of where I am), I had planned to go out at 235/245/255W for roughly each third.  Warmed up and got started and knew almost immediately that was too low (which is exactly what someone who is about 13 minutes away from blowing up thinks).

I basically rode 270/260/265 for each third of a ~26' segment (I mean, test - the fact that it was a Strava segment had nothing to do with it - honest).  

So, this felt about right for what I could do at the moment.  I don't think I had a LOT more Watts in me - maybe a few, as I averaged around 160bpm and know I can hold a little higher.  But, I'm happy with the way it felt.  So, after another base block, I'll retest in a month and use this as a base for setting targets.

I guess that having ridden with power for a bit over a year helped me to hit this right, and I'm sure I could have targeted it a bit better, but I'm happy that the numbers were pretty consistent through the ride (I usually try to hit a HR target for longer stuff and see where the W come out - which was what I was wondering if others did, too, or if people went exclusively by their recent wattages in training).

Still interested to hear how others approach it if you haven't tested or done intervals that are "close" recently.  Just shoot for what your coach tells you (if you have one)?  Pick a HR?  Pick an "aspirational" Wattage target and hope for the best?  Pick one a bit lower than what you think you can hit based on recent rides and then try to blow it out at the end?

Matt

2014-01-17 4:00 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by JAYCT

Ben, not sure what you are saying. Someone needs a coach to figure out how hard to ride?
It isn't that hard to do intervals around 95% of your ftp. Then, go train long at 2-4hrs at 85% and see how you feel. If you ride a few thousand miles with a power meter and can't figure out where you blow up, then yes get a coach but it isn't rocket science.

I am talking more about races. Joe Friel says for example IM's should be in a window of 65-75% of FTP. I take that as a rule of thumb, not everyone can ride that intensely and some can ride much harder (pointy end of the field). I know people that ride IM at 80% and run well off the bike, and others that can't ride 65%.

The point I am making is that many athletes take these windows of 65-75% FTP for an Ironman an as absolute, and I disagree. Use it as a platform and see how your rides are, how well do you ride, and in races how close to your open run times do you run. The coach comment was more addressed to those that do not know what these numbers mean, how to analyze them, etc. That is what a coach can help with. Everyone's FTP numbers are different as is their fitness levels.

And yes many athletes need a coach to learn how hard to ride, IM bike vs run splits make that very apparent in every IM I have ever seen.

With regards to testing, I think testing is good, but taking a single session for values is one piece of the pie and a way to measure gains. However, taking a look at a seasons worth of rides can give better and IMO more accurate numbers.
2014-01-17 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by JAYCT Ben, not sure what you are saying. Someone needs a coach to figure out how hard to ride? It isn't that hard to do intervals around 95% of your ftp. Then, go train long at 2-4hrs at 85% and see how you feel. If you ride a few thousand miles with a power meter and can't figure out where you blow up, then yes get a coach but it isn't rocket science.
I am talking more about races. Joe Friel says for example IM's should be in a window of 65-75% of FTP. I take that as a rule of thumb, not everyone can ride that intensely and some can ride much harder (pointy end of the field). I know people that ride IM at 80% and run well off the bike, and others that can't ride 65%. The point I am making is that many athletes take these windows of 65-75% FTP for an Ironman an as absolute, and I disagree. Use it as a platform and see how your rides are, how well do you ride, and in races how close to your open run times do you run. The coach comment was more addressed to those that do not know what these numbers mean, how to analyze them, etc. That is what a coach can help with. Everyone's FTP numbers are different as is their fitness levels. And yes many athletes need a coach to learn how hard to ride, IM bike vs run splits make that very apparent in every IM I have ever seen. With regards to testing, I think testing is good, but taking a single session for values is one piece of the pie and a way to measure gains. However, taking a look at a seasons worth of rides can give better and IMO more accurate numbers.

I'm mostly interested in setting a target for tri racing that will lead to an optimized bike/run combination, so I definitely go more from looking across key training sessions in the month or two leading up to a race.  Until today, I hadn't actually tested like this since (IIRC) a year and a half ago.  But, I rode in lots of races of different distances and did lots of training intervals.

Together, those gave me a very good idea of what to target (and I backed off what I thought I could hold and run well off in my only HIM at the end of the season - which I still think was the right approach, but I kinda wonder if it was totally dialed in).

Ben, how do you set a target for a RACE (say HIM length)?  Are there guides you use from previous races wrt percentage of run time compared to open run time, or are there other key indicators you use?

A bit orthogonal to the OP of how you test your FTP, but races are where the rubber meets the road (and, for me, the only reason to test - well, excepting testing on a Strava segment for fun).  

Thanks!

Matt

2014-01-17 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
I agree with you. Pacing long course isn't easy.

I was more referring to the other half of the year where you are testing and focusing on FTP gains. That part is a little easier. Once you 12 weeks out and getting into some more race specific intensities and trying to dial things in, it isn't easy.

Feel free to refer to my Ironman race report to see how not to pace your first Ironman bike split!
I did seem to start getting the goal of the half distance but haven't done too many. I think it does take a couple attempts. As a rookie to do it over I'd be super conservative and just accept that if you under do it, there are 26 miles to make it up the time.
2014-01-17 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
A bit orthogonal to the OP of how you test your FTP

That's OK, I got what I was looking for....take it any direction you want :-)
2014-01-17 11:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Matt

Thanks Nicole.  I get that chasing a number is not going to be a "dialed in" test, for sure.  I've ridden this course enough to have a good idea of what it feels like and what to expect (at least in season), and I have been riding in the basement lately (just not anything like my in season numbers).  At least I knew these roads very well and could push with about as much "safety" as you can during a TT on an open road (in winter, with traffic and snow and ice and giant-bike-swallowing potholes and such).

So, given a couple recent rides (and Strava's estimate of where I am), I had planned to go out at 235/245/255W for roughly each third.  Warmed up and got started and knew almost immediately that was too low (which is exactly what someone who is about 13 minutes away from blowing up thinks).

I basically rode 270/260/265 for each third of a ~26' segment (I mean, test - the fact that it was a Strava segment had nothing to do with it - honest).  

So, this felt about right for what I could do at the moment.  I don't think I had a LOT more Watts in me - maybe a few, as I averaged around 160bpm and know I can hold a little higher.  But, I'm happy with the way it felt.  So, after another base block, I'll retest in a month and use this as a base for setting targets.

I guess that having ridden with power for a bit over a year helped me to hit this right, and I'm sure I could have targeted it a bit better, but I'm happy that the numbers were pretty consistent through the ride (I usually try to hit a HR target for longer stuff and see where the W come out - which was what I was wondering if others did, too, or if people went exclusively by their recent wattages in training).

Still interested to hear how others approach it if you haven't tested or done intervals that are "close" recently.  Just shoot for what your coach tells you (if you have one)?  Pick a HR?  Pick an "aspirational" Wattage target and hope for the best?  Pick one a bit lower than what you think you can hit based on recent rides and then try to blow it out at the end?

Matt

Matt,

An approach can be to tune your RPE-HR to your watts, it takes time to do this, lots of riding and being attune to your body. I just know now... when I race, I approach it not so much to doing and exact wattage, but staying in a range... like during the last HIM I'd maintain 250 as a floor and about 300 as a ceiling, but to not spend to much time near or above 300, say just 1 minute at most, since anytime above that range, I know that I'd be robbing peter to pay paul and would not do any good to the run. It's just knowing yourself and what your able to do... that takes time.

2014-01-17 11:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

I do the standard 5' hard - easy - 20 to 25' protocol and take a % of that, usu. 94% to be on the safe side for a full hour. I also have a weekly way of estimating my ftp when I do vo2max sets on my trainer.

So most (66% or more) are doing a % of 20min, some are doing the 5' all out before.

I actually voted for "I do a short (3-5min) and a long (20-30min) and calculate it", which seems to be a lessor route.
2014-01-18 6:23 AM
in reply to: tomspharmacy

User image

Extreme Veteran

I actually voted for "I do a short (3-5min) and a long (20-30min) and calculate it", which seems to be a lessor route.

Within the same session or you test on two separate days ?
2014-01-18 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Within the same session or you test on two separate days ?

Well, it's more like I do a few short powerful 15 second bursts that expand to 1 minute after a 15' wu or so, then I do about a 2 to 3 minute hard above a possible target level, do about a 5 minute ez spin rest, then I work into the 20 to 30 minute session, the previous bursts, the first few minutes is figuring out what my body is able to pull off, then the last 20 minutes is going at it as best as possible. If I ain't panting at the end, no good. Definately gotta be motivated to do, I've put the gun back in the holster a couple of times, when I felt after the first few minutes, it's not going to happen... try again after a day or so more rest. So, it's basically like the above protocol.

2014-01-19 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by JAYCT Ben, not sure what you are saying. Someone needs a coach to figure out how hard to ride? It isn't that hard to do intervals around 95% of your ftp. Then, go train long at 2-4hrs at 85% and see how you feel. If you ride a few thousand miles with a power meter and can't figure out where you blow up, then yes get a coach but it isn't rocket science.
I am talking more about races. Joe Friel says for example IM's should be in a window of 65-75% of FTP. I take that as a rule of thumb, not everyone can ride that intensely and some can ride much harder (pointy end of the field). I know people that ride IM at 80% and run well off the bike, and others that can't ride 65%. The point I am making is that many athletes take these windows of 65-75% FTP for an Ironman an as absolute, and I disagree. Use it as a platform and see how your rides are, how well do you ride, and in races how close to your open run times do you run. The coach comment was more addressed to those that do not know what these numbers mean, how to analyze them, etc. That is what a coach can help with. Everyone's FTP numbers are different as is their fitness levels. And yes many athletes need a coach to learn how hard to ride, IM bike vs run splits make that very apparent in every IM I have ever seen. With regards to testing, I think testing is good, but taking a single session for values is one piece of the pie and a way to measure gains. However, taking a look at a seasons worth of rides can give better and IMO more accurate numbers.

I'm mostly interested in setting a target for tri racing that will lead to an optimized bike/run combination, so I definitely go more from looking across key training sessions in the month or two leading up to a race.  Until today, I hadn't actually tested like this since (IIRC) a year and a half ago.  But, I rode in lots of races of different distances and did lots of training intervals.

Together, those gave me a very good idea of what to target (and I backed off what I thought I could hold and run well off in my only HIM at the end of the season - which I still think was the right approach, but I kinda wonder if it was totally dialed in).

Ben, how do you set a target for a RACE (say HIM length)?  Are there guides you use from previous races wrt percentage of run time compared to open run time, or are there other key indicators you use?

A bit orthogonal to the OP of how you test your FTP, but races are where the rubber meets the road (and, for me, the only reason to test - well, excepting testing on a Strava segment for fun).  

Thanks!

Matt

Matt, for a HIM, or any race really I take a look at prior races and look at my training rides going into a race specific block of training. For example I will be racing NOLA 70.3 this April. I will use prior races as well as some of my training rides to gauge what level of % of my FTP I can hold for NOLA. Then in training in race specific sessions I will target the wattage for that % with my current FTP I am testing/riding at. Through prior experience I have found I can race HIM at an 80-85% window usually. Then a week before the race I set target watts, having a specific watt number I think is too hard. I put a cap on my watts for flats, hills, etc. I will also use RPE and HR as indicators as well to gauge my effort level.

Past 6 months looking on a mean maximal power curve is a great tool for this to analyze.

I have some specific workouts with intervals that I use depending on the terrain of the course (hilly, flat) that I will test ride my expected wattage window and usually run a few miles off the bike to see how I feel. I also might ride just above my selected wattage on training rides sometimes to test the waters.

Hope I am making sense out of this, sometimes its hard for me to describe over the forum.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you test your FTP ? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Final FTP Bike Test Tonight!!!

Started by miami9296
Views: 1220 Posts: 6

2010-04-22 12:40 PM KathyG

FTP Testing on bike today...have question...

Started by miami9296
Views: 992 Posts: 3

2010-03-07 7:00 PM ADollar79

First good FTP test of the year

Started by newbz
Views: 1985 Posts: 10

2009-03-03 10:05 PM newbz

FTP bike test

Started by Plissken74
Views: 6549 Posts: 13

2009-01-15 1:08 PM JorgeM

FTP test on road or trainer

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1972 Posts: 17

2008-09-24 11:25 AM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Field tests for determining your heart-rate zones with lactate threshold testing.