General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-10-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4935416

User image

Subject: Silverman 70.3 : Official Thread
Yes, it's not the "real" Silverman. Yes, we won't get the cool swag they used to hand out. Yes, there is only a 70.3 and not a 140.6. Yes, it's run by the evil empire.

All that out of the way.....

Who's in? I love racing out of Lake Mead.

2013-10-21 6:31 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Subject: RE: Silverman 70.3 : Official Thread
Just signed up. Scheduled to be my second 70.3 race. Doing the HITS Palm Springs this Dec. FYI, they are still offering the $199 cost.
2013-10-22 3:22 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
I'm in. signed up the day it opened to save some money. I've done Kansas once and Racine 3 times, but coming from South Dakota this will be my first time flying to a race. But it will be interesting from a logistics standpoint. I'll have a lot of questions. Mostly I'm curious about how to get my bike put together when I get there (I can't put a bike together on my own). Excited about the difficult course, and WTC always puts on a good race, so it should be fun. Las Vegas in October AND a Half Ironman? How can you not say yes? I'll have a TON of questions as this thing gets closer.
2014-03-05 4:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
I am in too. First race in Nevada.
2013-12-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Hi all!

I'm debating adding this race to my schedule to get ready for IMAZ. I'm on the East coast, so I tend to do more East coast races.

Anyone done that race that would care to share their thoughts?

Thanks!
Theresa
2013-12-30 4:38 PM
in reply to: seitz1124

User image

responding to all your race planning threads today     I think Silverman is a better tuneup for IMAZ timing and weather wise.  Although not terrain wise (neither is Coz).  The scenery is stunning, but it is hilly.   I haven't done this course, but have done several lake mead races.  The run is sorta ho hum three looper but not too hilly, and a good IMAZ warmup as well.  This will help fine tune your desert dry heat nutrition issues, you have to be more careful in that climate since sweat dries right off you and you won't feel like you're getting dehydrated -but you are.

2014-01-10 6:09 AM
in reply to: seitz1124

User image

Expert
Originally posted by seitz1124

Hi all!

I'm debating adding this race to my schedule to get ready for IMAZ. I'm on the East coast, so I tend to do more East coast races.

Anyone done that race that would care to share their thoughts?

Thanks!
Theresa

Hi Teresa,

I raced IMAZ last year and 70.3 Worlds on the Silverman course both last year. I wouldn't recommend this race as a great training race for IMAZ particularly. It is VERY HILLY. As in VERY HILLY! I raced it in early September and still had to recover very hard to finish out my training for IMAZ. There is just no going easy on this course like a training day (if that was your thought) due to the hills. I'd save the expense of traveling out there for another year and race that puppy!

IMAZ has a couple hills on the run that you could probably train locally for. And the bike is a false flat on the beeline hwy, nothing like what you'd ride in Henderson, so I'd look for a less hilly bike and one about 8 weeks before IMAZ if you want a tune up race.

Good luck and have fun at IMAZ. Love love love that course and town!
2014-01-20 7:52 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread
Thinking of doing this as my first Ironman distance and was wondering if anybody knows what kind of elevation gain this has? Is this a bad first race to do? I hear the course is tough but that was in the years past.
2014-01-21 11:51 AM
in reply to: wolff840

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread

No worries, just re-ask the question there as there may be others with more knoweldge etc

2014-01-21 10:14 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
This is the thread that shows up on the Silverman 70.3 race page on BT, so this makes me believe this would be the official thread?
2014-01-21 10:28 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

Thinking of doing this as my first Ironman distance and was wondering if anybody knows what kind of elevation gain this has? Is this a bad first race to do? I hear the course is tough but that was in the years past.

2014-01-22 11:42 AM

User image

They have not posted the official elevation map yet but I found this and it looks pretty true to the course. Says the total elevation gain is 2384 ft, so pretty hilly but not over the top. This will be only my second 70.3 race. Good luck if you decide to do it.

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/boulder-city-nv/ironman-70-3-silverman-...
2014-01-23 12:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by wolff840 Thinking of doing this as my first Ironman distance and was wondering if anybody knows what kind of elevation gain this has? Is this a bad first race to do? I hear the course is tough but that was in the years past.

This is one of the harder courses on the circuit, but the climbing around Lake Mead isn't really a constant uphill, but shorter hills, and you are always going up or down so it can be difficult to get a rhythm.  Have not done the climb from Mead to Henderson (have done it to Boulder) but there is some significant elevation to be gained just prior to running 13.1 (and the run has a couple hills to contend with as well).  The course will be the same as the Worlds 70.3 except for the swim which is moved to Mead, so if you read reports you'll get a flavor of it.

2014-01-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77This is the thread that shows up on the Silverman 70.3 race page on BT, so this makes me believe this would be the official thread?
No idea. All I know is a thread titled "official thread" was started long ago. I imagine BT automatically links to the latest thread
2014-01-26 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I'm in on this! It will be my first 70.3 distance race! I love vegas and will spend a week of recovery out there after the race. No better place in the world for massages!
2014-03-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Champion

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 This is the thread that shows up on the Silverman 70.3 race page on BT, so this makes me believe this would be the official thread?

Yes, this is the official thread.  Not sure how the other one got started or delinked...but I combined them.  You can access this thread directly through your training blog or 'my races'

2014-03-05 4:14 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

A few of us from L.A. will be out training on the course the weekend of May 16-18

2014-03-06 9:50 AM

User image

I registered last week. Going to be my first tri period. Learning to swim now....challenging in itself. Really looking forward to get elbow deep in a training program though. Flip the switch. I've tried to find the info on potential lake temps. The NPS says average lake temp for Mead is 70 in October, but the info I've seen in forums and at the IM page I believe talks about upper 70's water and no wetsuits being worn. Seems most if the info I'm seeing might be leftovers from LLV which is a smaller lake. Anybody have a handle on this?

Edited by brianhsauer 2014-03-06 9:58 AM
2014-03-09 7:28 PM
in reply to: brianhsauer

Im in the same boat as you. Trying to figure out how to swim. Im a little hesitant to sign up for this until I can swim better, but I would think I can figure it out before October. Im thinking of just going for it and signing up.
2014-03-09 9:13 PM

User image

Mead will definitely be wetsuit legal.   It's one of the most beautiful places to swim.   You've got plenty of time, so get it done! 

2014-03-12 8:17 AM

User image

I've been working at it for the last month 2-3 times a week and have gone from barely able to swim 25 yds because I'm out of breath (from holding my breath) to I just swam 250 yesterday without being totally gassed. I usually do 5-600 at a session trying to do work on being efficient more worry about fast although I have done up to 1000 in a session when I wanted more cardio. The swim does make me nervous as I'm not a very good floater.....

2014-03-12 8:22 AM

User image

There's a difference between wetsuit legal and my wife thinks its cold enough to warrant buying a wetsuit. Lol. That's kind of where I'm at. Living in San Diego, it's always wetsuit time, but not everyone can imagine why it may not be the best idea to just do all your training swims in a pool.
2014-03-19 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by brianhsauer

The swim does make me nervous as I'm not a very good floater.....

You are looking pretty fit in your picture there, I am sure you will be fine. Just keep getting in the work, you've got plenty of time.

So, I worry about things I probably shouldn't...is anyone else concerned about the possibility of trouble with the swim due to low water levels in the lake? I have read a few artcles lately about how low the water level has gotten in Lake Mead, I am not expecting the southwest to break out of this drought anytime soon.
2014-03-22 9:30 AM

User image

Thanks for the support Justin. I'm definitely planning to put in the work, just trying to get my head right in the water.... lol! You planning for your training now or do you stay in race shape? Good luck getting ready. I'm going to spectate in Oceanside next weekend to actually see what a transition looks like. See you in October.

Edited by brianhsauer 2014-03-22 9:35 AM
2014-03-22 11:26 AM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Originally posted by cjhild
Originally posted by brianhsauer The swim does make me nervous as I'm not a very good floater.....
You are looking pretty fit in your picture there, I am sure you will be fine. Just keep getting in the work, you've got plenty of time. So, I worry about things I probably shouldn't...is anyone else concerned about the possibility of trouble with the swim due to low water levels in the lake? I have read a few artcles lately about how low the water level has gotten in Lake Mead, I am not expecting the southwest to break out of this drought anytime soon.

Now that you mention it... I had been watching Wildflower as I was considering it as a possibility, but didn't even think of Mead... 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Silverman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread

Started by g_shotts
Views: 2489 Posts: 2

2010-06-03 10:56 AM trid

Silverman - Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by chile7473
Views: 18467 Posts: 130

2011-08-30 2:24 PM Dultra

Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by trishie
Views: 37629 Posts: 379

2010-04-04 7:40 PM distancegirl

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30582 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.