General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go?
OptionResults
70-75%0 Votes - [0%]
75-80%1 Votes - [6.67%]
80-85%0 Votes - [0%]
85-90%3 Votes - [20%]
90-95%8 Votes - [53.33%]
95-100%3 Votes - [20%]

2014-01-31 5:48 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Subject: RE: What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go?

Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by morey000  Looks like my IF was 0.92  (does that mean my Np was 92% of my FTP?  i think so).  Of course- I don't know exactly what my FTP is- but anyway, that came out just a few watts shy of the number I was trying to hit and gave me a TSS of 108 for the ride (as calculated by Garmin).
If you don't know your FTP, the IF is kind of meaningless. Did you just leave the default FTP of the Garmin ?

No.  I did a series (every month or so) of 20min FTP tests.  But, I tend to do my FTP tests on a hill climb- since I happen to have a convenient long hill climb nearby.  I'm never quite sure how the hill climb FTP (where I'm often out of the saddle and on the hoods, rather than in aero) compares to an aero position FTP.  So- I'm not confident that I know "exactly what my FTP is".  it could easily be 10 watts off which would throw off the % number by 5%.  My FTP at the time was about 215-220  (i'm 61kg).  Yeah- I know.  I'm not much of a cyclist.  I prefer running and swimming.  We all have our weak legs.

But thanks for taking the opportunity to jump on me.  Made me feel at home- just like I was hanging out on Slowtwitch.

I don't think Marc was trying to jump on you.  Lots of people are using power and have no idea which numbers are dependant on others...these days you can't assume that someone using power knows what TSS, IF, AP, NP, CTL, ATL, and TSB mean.  You seem like you do understand the relationship between FTP and IF, but also self admitted that your IF could be wrong due to uncertainty of your FTP.

Anywho...I also do most of my testing on a hill climb.  Using my road bike, on the hoods and a few sections out of the saddle.  I typically see about a 5-7% difference in the power I can put out for those tests as compared to what I can put out for a 20k TT.

2014-01-31 6:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go?
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by morey000  Looks like my IF was 0.92  (does that mean my Np was 92% of my FTP?  i think so).  Of course- I don't know exactly what my FTP is- but anyway, that came out just a few watts shy of the number I was trying to hit and gave me a TSS of 108 for the ride (as calculated by Garmin).
If you don't know your FTP, the IF is kind of meaningless. Did you just leave the default FTP of the Garmin ?

No.  I did a series (every month or so) of 20min FTP tests.  But, I tend to do my FTP tests on a hill climb- since I happen to have a convenient long hill climb nearby.  I'm never quite sure how the hill climb FTP (where I'm often out of the saddle and on the hoods, rather than in aero) compares to an aero position FTP.  So- I'm not confident that I know "exactly what my FTP is".  it could easily be 10 watts off which would throw off the % number by 5%.  My FTP at the time was about 215-220  (i'm 61kg).  Yeah- I know.  I'm not much of a cyclist.  I prefer running and swimming.  We all have our weak legs.

But thanks for taking the opportunity to jump on me.  Made me feel at home- just like I was hanging out on Slowtwitch.

Really didn't mean to "jump on" you.
"I don't know exactly what my FTP is" along with "does that mean my NP was 92% of FTP" led to to believe that you may be 100% sure how the two were inter-related.
A lot of people have a FTP around the default Garmin value, hence my question.
Not usually my intent to "jump on people"
If I gave you that impression, I apologize. They don't do that on ST :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-01-31 6:06 PM
2014-01-31 8:55 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

I think I've been doing my Oly's all wrong...I don't have a power meter so have been racing based on LTHR. but regardless, I've been trying to peg my Oly bike legs (as well as the run legs) close to the LTHR for each leg. I've tended to feel really good early on the bike even though my HR has been too high, followed by not maintaining my HR at the target (LTHR) toward the end of the bike.Run typically starts with calf cramps, HR in the 95% range (mid to high zone 4) then pushing to LTHR and above over the last mile as my quads are about to cramp... hmmm maybe I need to rethink this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Last item before the race done...check!

Started by Nhmountainman
Views: 579 Posts: 2

2012-06-09 12:32 AM bets12

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2102 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Worst run race you've done

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 1358 Posts: 20

2011-06-22 12:08 PM NashinAK

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1656 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

First Race Done - Race Report In

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1046 Posts: 6

2005-07-26 12:22 PM ryjammers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.