General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go?
OptionResults
70-75%0 Votes - [0%]
75-80%1 Votes - [6.67%]
80-85%0 Votes - [0%]
85-90%3 Votes - [20%]
90-95%8 Votes - [53.33%]
95-100%3 Votes - [20%]

2014-01-30 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go?
Let us know what your %FTP (or NP) was during your most successful Oly race. (Any comments about the sprint or 1/2IM distance in regards to %FTP?)

2014-01-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go?
Full disclosure. I am answering as a way of slipping my backdoor brag straight in through the front door.

I would want to race Olympics at ~93 - 95% of FTP. My last Olympic I road off the road about 4mi into the race and lost my power reading so not sure what an actual number was, but I ran really solid off what I thought to be a pretty solid ride.

As far as HIM. I tend to not be overly conservative in my approach to racing, so I aim for 85% of FTP for a HIM. Last race I did that and then had the fastest AG run split and just got beat by 9 pro's on the run. Oops nearly forgot my brag, I am 43yrs old although I was 42 at the time of the race I am referring to. so it sorta works for me. I figure if anything I am a runner so if I burn a couple matches on the bike I can still hang on to a decent run.
2014-01-30 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go?

Didn't do an Oly since getting my powermeter, but I did a bunch of sprints and a super sprint.  I usually kept my power between 75-80% of my FTP to set me up for a really strong run split.  I put up a top 3 bike split every race doing this and towards the end of the year had top 5 run splits too.  for me it wasn't about getting the best bike split i could but getting off the bike and throwing down a good run split too.  

2014-01-30 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
90% (flat) and ran a PR (hilly), the next day I rode 85% (hilly) and ran another PR (flat)
2014-01-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by qrkid
As far as HIM. I tend to not be overly conservative in my approach to racing, so I aim for 85% of FTP for a HIM. Last race I did that and then had the fastest AG run split and just got beat by 9 pro's on the run. Oops nearly forgot my brag, I am 43yrs old although I was 42 at the time of the race I am referring to. so it sorta works for me. I figure if anything I am a runner so if I burn a couple matches on the bike I can still hang on to a decent run.

Nice !
Can I ask what race you did that in ?
2014-01-30 1:11 PM

User image

My last Oly I rode at 88% of FTP and ran okay.  Not good, but not horrible either.  I wasn't 100% tapered going into the race, and the roads were really wet and slick (my rear wheel slipped through corners 4 times) so I did ease off the power a lot more than normal into and out of the turns.  My goal is generally to ride at around 90% because biking is my strength (I don't go that much faster at 92% due to increased air resistance) and running is my weakness...so I need to save myself a little more than a stronger runner would.

I should note that 88% refers to normalized power for the Oly that took me just under 1:04, and FTP came from the average power of a 40k TT that took me just over 58 minutes. 

You can't really compare what percentage of FTP one athlete does an Oly at unless you know that information.  

1.  FTP obviously needs to be accurate.  If you're basing it off a 20' test...you could get varying results.
2.  How long you expect to take for an Oly course will largely depend on what percentage you should choose.  A flat and fast course that you will finish close to an hour will use a higher percentage of FTP than a slower hilly course that may take you closer to 1:15.  

2014-01-30 1:22 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Last Olympic was 87% and I ran a PB for 10k, (open or in a tri.)

I will say that I was targeting a bit higher but I had a problem with my saddle where the nose slipped down to the point that it was at about a 45 degree down angle.  Needless to say that made it tough to ride normally!

2014-01-30 1:23 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Last oly, I biked at about 96 to 98% FTP, and couldn't run out of transition, walked, limped, etc... after the first mile, some legs were coming back, then only the last 5k, I was able to run a decent pace. I had my worst run to date. My excuse is that just 6 days before that race, I did a 40k TT and came in second with a PR, and was going for broke on the OLY... I guess that I could have pulled back a bit and run better and come in second, but not my style... I'm a biker.... If I had running legs like the poster above and run a 1:25 split post bike... sun uv a beach!!!

2014-01-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Originally posted by marcag

Nice !

Need to correct qrkid's post. He is not a runner...he is an uber-runner and his slow pace is most people's "holy cow, that guy is going fast". And his fast pace is "holy cow, that guy is flying...he must be doing intervals". The race was the Raleigh 70.3 so some legitimate pros taking part (Greg Bennett won). My pace, on the other hand, is a respectable "glad that guy is doing some exercise...good for him" :-)
2014-01-30 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Nice !

IM Raleigh 70.3

Unfortunately I have seen cinder blocks swim better than me.
2014-01-30 2:37 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by louiskie

Nice !

Need to correct qrkid's post. He is not a runner...he is an uber-runner and his slow pace is most people's "holy cow, that guy is going fast". And his fast pace is "holy cow, that guy is flying...he must be doing intervals". The race was the Raleigh 70.3 so some legitimate pros taking part (Greg Bennett won). My pace, on the other hand, is a respectable "glad that guy is doing some exercise...good for him" :-)

Louskie

You would be glad to know that I touched my bike today. My wife made me sweep the dining room floor, so I had to move it out the way.

2014-01-30 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

Originally posted by louiskie

Nice !

Louskie

You would be glad to know that I touched my bike today. My wife made me sweep the dining room floor, so I had to move it out the way.

Could you still lift it? Might have so much dust on it that it is really weighed down!!
2014-01-30 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice !

IM Raleigh 70.3

Can I ask what you biked at ?
2014-01-30 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Nice !

IM Raleigh 70.3

Can I ask what you biked at ?

I had to go back and look. Wow did not realize this. I had a rented powertap disc that I got on the bike just 2 days prior to race day. I was having whacky reading from it and now looking back it shows that I was at 76%. I rode the race more on feel b/c power number was jumping around and in retrospect thought I had left a lot out on the course. Never though I left that much out there. Course was rolling with around 2100ft elev gain. I rode 207W NP. I do not have a great position and I am not so sure on a course with 2100ft that I could go the 2:27 that I did on 207W NP 195Avg.
So my wko says I rode at 76%, but I am thinking it might have been a higher number. Oh well that is what the numbers say. I guess I take back my I try and ride a HIM at 85%.
If the numbers were that low, that sucks b/c I actually had a bad run or should I say really rough run that day. Not good to have a rough day if I only rode 76% of FTP.

Edited by qrkid 2014-01-30 3:36 PM
2014-01-30 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

If the numbers were that low, that sucks b/c I actually had a bad run or should I say really rough run that day. Not good to have a rough day if I only rode 76% of FTP.

I wish I had 1:25 bad days :-)

What do you run in an open HM ?
2014-01-30 3:44 PM

User image

Pro

Just checked my last Oly.  It was a mountainous course- so difficult to hold a steady power.  Looks like my IF was 0.92  (does that mean my Np was 92% of my FTP?  i think so).  Of course- I don't know exactly what my FTP is- but anyway, that came out just a few watts shy of the number I was trying to hit and gave me a TSS of 108 for the ride (as calculated by Garmin).

My run went well, a little better than I was expecting and had enough gas to finish strong.  Run course was a of a hilly rocky trail run too- so, hard to compare to a flat fast 10K.  Anyway- total time was 2:30.  I expect if you're faster, your bike %FTP would be a bit higher.  If you're slower- then lower, but overall, i was pretty close to right where I wanted to be for my fitness level and that particular course.  

2014-01-30 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

Been a while. I have only raced 1 HM and that was March 2012. Went 74:55. I was/am hoping to go sub 73 this year.
2014-01-30 5:00 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by morey000
 Looks like my IF was 0.92  (does that mean my Np was 92% of my FTP?  i think so).  Of course- I don't know exactly what my FTP is- but anyway, that came out just a few watts shy of the number I was trying to hit and gave me a TSS of 108 for the ride (as calculated by Garmin).

If you don't know your FTP, the IF is kind of meaningless. Did you just leave the default FTP of the Garmin ?
2014-01-30 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Been a while. I have only raced 1 HM and that was March 2012. Went 74:55. I was/am hoping to go sub 73 this year.

This is a very weird thing to say, but that 1h25 is actually not a very good run :-) FOR YOU !! You are a beast
You should be running 1:18 to 1:22 with open HM times like that.
Of course you have to take different courses and temperatures into consideration

Edited by marcag 2014-01-30 5:07 PM
2014-01-30 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

This is a very weird thing to say, but that 1h25 is actually not a very good run :-) FOR YOU !! You are a beast
You should be running 1:18 to 1:22 with open HM times like that.
Of course you have to take different courses and temperatures into consideration

I pretty much agree that I should have the ability to go under 80 min off the bike in a HIM, under normal circumstances.

In this case there were a few factors:

1) Raleigh 70.3 had what turned out to be a very tough run course and it was upper 80's/90 deg out

2) After I ran the 74:55 HM in March '12 I basically took a break from all training for a few months. Sorta picked it up again in August, but ran into injury issues. Long story short I really only got to put in 8wks of running at least 4 days a week before Raleigh. So I was not even close to the same shape as when I ran the HM
I think on the day I should have been sub 83 on that course if I would have had the run I wanted.

2014-01-30 7:42 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by qrkid Been a while. I have only raced 1 HM and that was March 2012. Went 74:55. I was/am hoping to go sub 73 this year.
Originally posted by marcag This is a very weird thing to say, but that 1h25 is actually not a very good run :-) FOR YOU !! You are a beast You should be running 1:18 to 1:22 with open HM times like that. Of course you have to take different courses and temperatures into consideration
I pretty much agree that I should have the ability to go under 80 min off the bike in a HIM, under normal circumstances. In this case there were a few factors: 1) Raleigh 70.3 had what turned out to be a very tough run course and it was upper 80's/90 deg out 2) After I ran the 74:55 HM in March '12 I basically took a break from all training for a few months. Sorta picked it up again in August, but ran into injury issues. Long story short I really only got to put in 8wks of running at least 4 days a week before Raleigh. So I was not even close to the same shape as when I ran the HM I think on the day I should have been sub 83 on that course if I would have had the run I wanted.

I'm sure you know this, but If you learned how to swim you would be a problem for a LOT of folks, including pros.  You can somewhat overcome it on a HIM once you built your bike up a bit.....but not in an Olympic distance race.  Still, badass for your age.

2014-01-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by qrkid Been a while. I have only raced 1 HM and that was March 2012. Went 74:55. I was/am hoping to go sub 73 this year.
Originally posted by marcag This is a very weird thing to say, but that 1h25 is actually not a very good run :-) FOR YOU !! You are a beast You should be running 1:18 to 1:22 with open HM times like that. Of course you have to take different courses and temperatures into consideration
I pretty much agree that I should have the ability to go under 80 min off the bike in a HIM, under normal circumstances. In this case there were a few factors: 1) Raleigh 70.3 had what turned out to be a very tough run course and it was upper 80's/90 deg out 2) After I ran the 74:55 HM in March '12 I basically took a break from all training for a few months. Sorta picked it up again in August, but ran into injury issues. Long story short I really only got to put in 8wks of running at least 4 days a week before Raleigh. So I was not even close to the same shape as when I ran the HM I think on the day I should have been sub 83 on that course if I would have had the run I wanted.

I'm sure you know this, but If you learned how to swim you would be a problem for a LOT of folks, including pros.  You can somewhat overcome it on a HIM once you built your bike up a bit.....but not in an Olympic distance race.  Still, badass for your age.

Thanks LB

Yeah the Olympics and down I just cannot make up the time I lose in the pond. I have done an Olympic swim in 27 range, but even that loses me 4 min and more on the top guys in my AG.
With a few things going on in life (gone back to school full time for Nursing and working as well) I actually am going back to just running for now. To much of a time commitment to race the longer tri stuff. At this point it looks like my next tri will only be in the 2nd half of 2015. Sounds wierd. Do a HIM in June 2013 and then maybe I pop back with a IM in Sept 2015
2014-01-30 7:59 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Thanks LB Yeah the Olympics and down I just cannot make up the time I lose in the pond. I have done an Olympic swim in 27 range, but even that loses me 4 min and more on the top guys in my AG. With a few things going on in life (gone back to school full time for Nursing and working as well) I actually am going back to just running for now. To much of a time commitment to race the longer tri stuff. At this point it looks like my next tri will only be in the 2nd half of 2015. Sounds wierd. Do a HIM in June 2013 and then maybe I pop back with a IM in Sept 2015

Nah......not weird at all......body fitness is a marathon, not a sprint.   Good luck with your school!

2014-01-31 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I was hoping for more than a dozen responses. If anyone would be willing to at least vote, if you have power data and can share...
there appears to be a slight trend, in this small sample size...

Edited by dtoce 2014-01-31 3:55 PM
2014-01-31 5:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by morey000  Looks like my IF was 0.92  (does that mean my Np was 92% of my FTP?  i think so).  Of course- I don't know exactly what my FTP is- but anyway, that came out just a few watts shy of the number I was trying to hit and gave me a TSS of 108 for the ride (as calculated by Garmin).
If you don't know your FTP, the IF is kind of meaningless. Did you just leave the default FTP of the Garmin ?

No.  I did a series (every month or so) of 20min FTP tests.  But, I tend to do my FTP tests on a hill climb- since I happen to have a convenient long hill climb nearby.  I'm never quite sure how the hill climb FTP (where I'm often out of the saddle and on the hoods, rather than in aero) compares to an aero position FTP.  So- I'm not confident that I know "exactly what my FTP is".  it could easily be 10 watts off which would throw off the % number by 5%.  My FTP at the time was about 215-220  (i'm 61kg).  Yeah- I know.  I'm not much of a cyclist.  I prefer running and swimming.  We all have our weak legs.

But thanks for taking the opportunity to jump on me.  Made me feel at home- just like I was hanging out on Slowtwitch.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What %FTP did you race your last OlympicTriathlon bike at and how did the run go? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Last item before the race done...check!

Started by Nhmountainman
Views: 579 Posts: 2

2012-06-09 12:32 AM bets12

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2109 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Worst run race you've done

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 1360 Posts: 20

2011-06-22 12:08 PM NashinAK

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1664 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

First Race Done - Race Report In

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1047 Posts: 6

2005-07-26 12:22 PM ryjammers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.