General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavy Legs Runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-30 3:53 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Heavy Legs Runs?

So, you wake up one morning for your run and you feel lousy from the start.  You overdid it a bit the last few days and the fatigue hole you've dug yourself in is a bit deeper than you planned.  Your legs feel like lead.  You go out and do a zone 2/3 10K run anyway, and never feel all that great about it.  It's not a 'recovery run'.

Is there training (physiological adaptation) benefit to this run?  Or would you have been better off just taking a rest day and being fresher for your next day?

I think I know the answer to this- in that it can only be answered in context of where this falls in your larger training plan.  But- give me your thoughts.

2014-01-30 4:35 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Subject: RE: Heavy Legs Runs?
Originally posted by morey000
I think I know the answer to this- in that it can only be answered in context of where this falls in your larger training plan.  But- give me your thoughts.

Yes.

A lot of ultra distance plans call for recovery runs the day after your long run. I did a 16 week plan that called for a 60 minute "medium" run. Zone 2-3 sounds about right, and it feels like hell. It's my impression that this is mental training as much as physiological. However, training on dead legs is definitely a higher injury risk.

My $0.05: If you're going to run on heavy legs, it should be within a plan that has built up to a lot of miles (so you will recover more easily) and that allows for solid recovery after a string of difficult runs. It should not be because you have gotten in over your head and decide to HTFU anyway.
2014-01-30 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

I am not super familiar with zones so I am not sure where a 2/3 falls.

I think recovery runs are totally advantageous but there is a pace at which you are in the no mans land where you are not really recovering but you are also not making other training adaptions. So, you need to make sure this is done at a very easy pace if you want it to serve as a recovery run.

Purpose needs to dictate the workout. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-01-30 4:40 PM
2014-01-30 6:20 PM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Batcheldor
O... My $0.05: If you're going to run on heavy legs, it should be within a plan that has built up to a lot of miles (so you will recover more easily) and that allows for solid recovery after a string of difficult runs. It should not be because you have gotten in over your head and decide to HTFU anyway.

Agree with your thoughts.  So, when it fits in your plan, but you

I've got 232 miles of running in this month, with the last two weeks at 65 and 69 miles.   Took two days rest (ok, I swam) after Sunday's 50K, then ran a solid 13miler wednesday morning and felt really good.  this morning I was just beat (golly, I wonder why?).  I would have taken today off, but I need tomorrow as a rest day as I'm planning on a 22miler on Saturday backed up by a 16miler (all rugged trails) on Sunday.  This week is a down week for mileage (57mi ish), as I plan on throwing everything at my legs next week, perhaps 75 miles if they'll take it, before I start a 3 week taper.  I have a general plan that I've created and modify on a daily basis depending on how I feel.  I track not only weekly mileage and time, but rolling averages, and am managing a build capped by % increase and adjusted by feel.  I've got this!

2014-01-30 10:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
??? I thought recovery was Zone 1, or at most the very low end of Zone 2. If the purpose of the workout was recovery, you were pushing too hard. (And probably going too long, unless this is marathon or IM training.) If the purpose is to learn to run on tired legs after biking or in a marathon, then maybe there is some training adaptation, IF you can do this without getting injured AND you then take a day or two of recovery (rest, or swim only, or easy spinning on the bike) afterward. Adaptation doesn't actually happen during the workout, but during recovery.

I'd also consider if you're tired because of pushing running or biking. If your legs feel like lead because of lots of biking over the past few days, it's probably a bit less of an injury risk than overdoing the running, since the muscles involved are somewhat different and there's less impact with cycling. I'm currently in the middle of a bike focus and my legs pretty much feel a bit tired/heavy on all my runs lately, but it doesn't concern me too much since I know why! I just don't push the pace too hard on most of my runs right now.

For me personally, if I felt unexpectedly lousy and it wasn't a key session (long run, brick, or speedwork), I'd just slow down, take it easy, and get through the time/distance. If I felt truly horrid, I'd cut the distance a bit (say, 4 miles instead of 6). I've run tens of thousands of miles in my life, and I really doubt I'd DNF or get my butt kicked in my next race solely because I ran 4 miles on one or two days instead of 6. But I would be more likely to get injured or sick dragging myself through a workout without sufficient rest, just because that was what the plan said.

ETA Just read the part about the 50K over the weekend....um.....I can see why you're tired! Definitely suggest that you NOT drag yourself through a run until you feel fully recovered. Many times after long races, I've taken a few days off, felt "recovered", and then had it hit me up to a week or two later; pushing thru that almost always leads to illness and/or injury. I'd listen to your body.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-01-30 10:43 PM
2014-01-31 6:40 AM

User image

I've got this!

I'd say you know a bit more about this than I!

The rational for pre-fatigued running is that you are forcing your body to start at mile 15 instead of mile 1, so you are hypothetically getting the kinds of adaptations (efficiency, muscle recruitment, dealing w/ the voices) as longer runs. Pretty sure there aren't a lot of actual studies behind that statement, but hey, there aren't a lot of folks who run 50k as a tune-up race. Go easy if you go, and ice the sh** out of it.

2014-01-31 7:59 AM

Master
Northern IL

What kind of system are you using? Z2/3 is higher than "recovery" on a more typical 5 zone scale. That would be more like 1 to low Z2. Much of the easy running takes place solidly in Z2 with (maybe) some Z3 for small bits. Also, 10k does not quite seem like a "recovery" distance either. Even with what you've been running, has the mileage been up there for a very long time? Recovery type run for me has been more like an extended warm-up (to get to answer the question). Maybe 20-30 minutes or so. Basically taking a longer time to get going. I may put in some skill or range of motion things to help open it up a bit. Maybe some strides. Stuff that doesn't take much stress. For recovery work, it's active recovery, so I'm not trying to make it feel like I actually did anything for a workout. Rather, I'm trying get to a point where it feels like I'm ready to go for something. Should feel a bit better afterward, things woken up. Or at least more so than when I started.

2014-01-31 9:01 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

What kind of system are you using? Z2/3 is higher than "recovery" on a more typical 5 zone scale. That would be more like 1 to low Z2. ...

The run wasn't intended to be a 'recovery' run.  (perhaps it should have been, but it wasn't)  you are correct.

2014-01-31 9:41 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

What kind of system are you using? Z2/3 is higher than "recovery" on a more typical 5 zone scale. That would be more like 1 to low Z2. ...

The run wasn't intended to be a 'recovery' run.  (perhaps it should have been, but it wasn't)  you are correct.

Ok, with that in mind, would still suggest some of the things from the last post. Expect a longer warm-up and do some of the other things to help get your legs firing better to hopefully get a few of the later miles at least feeling ok. Running really crappy the whole time probably isn't doing you any favors.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heavy Legs Runs? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

heavy legs/dead legs

Started by clgswisher
Views: 1150 Posts: 3

2012-07-31 4:22 PM agarose2000

Heavy legs in swim after run?

Started by timf79
Views: 864 Posts: 6

2012-07-17 8:41 PM timf79

Heavy legs?

Started by kirbde
Views: 585 Posts: 2

2011-01-03 4:07 PM Micawber

Heavy legs during run

Started by Daugela
Views: 2382 Posts: 8

2007-03-09 9:40 AM Daugela

Leg muscles make you alot heavier?

Started by Metalmasters2k
Views: 679 Posts: 4

2005-05-04 4:45 PM Metalmasters2k
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : September 25, 2007
author : mrakes1
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : September 3, 2005
author : ChiRunning
comments : 1
“The absence of unnecessary effort,” means that if you don't do any more than is necessary (to accomplish an activity), you won't waste your energy and feel drained afterwards.

date : June 14, 2005
author : docgill
comments : 10
One year ago I was 90 pounds heavier and dreaming of being able to walk without a wobble. I never considered doing a triathlon.