General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long did it take.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-07 4:32 PM

Subject: How long did it take..
for you to learn to swim well?

I really want to do tris but I am frustrated with the swim. I started swimming last year for a few months until I got injured in May and unfortunately I gave up on swimming until January this year. I am back at it now and while I think I am better than I was last year I feel like I'm never gonna get it. 50m really gasses me. I swam 10 25's yesterday to begin my workout with about 15 seconds of rest in between each and i thought I was going to drown!

I have a trainer(a swimmer from the swim team at the university where I work). I believe he is helping quite a bit. He is having me do a lot of isolation drills to work on stroke, arm placement, core strength, rotation and kick so that the become natural and from memory.

The swim coach from the university spent about 20 to 25 minutes with me last night. He immediately notices my hamstrings were tight. He said my quads were over developed compare to my hamstrings which in turn makes my kick weak and causes my back to be curved in the water. I have a hard time being flat in the water. So I quess it's leg curl time in the weight room. I've already been working core and back muscles for swimming.

I'm currently trying to get the pool 4 to 5 times a week for about an hour.

2014-02-07 4:36 PM
in reply to: wannatri?

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: How long did it take..

It took me at least a year of swimming a lot.

2014-02-07 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
South dakota
I have been swimming for about 4 years....and am capable of not drowning......things I have noticed are, technique is very important to swimming, technique is important, and progress is slow.
2014-02-07 5:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

The trick that worked for me was to swim a lap as slow as possible.  This helped my overall comfort in the water and assured my brain that even if I got tired, I would not drown as I could always rely on this ridiculously easy effort.

When a swimmer is out of breath after 25 or 50 yards, it's not because they are not fit enough.  70 year olds (even those with horrible swim form) can swim 500 yards straight just fine.  The reason you're out of breath is because you are not comfortable in the water, and your brain is sending uneccessary signals to your body to avoid drowning.

Edited by Jason N 2014-02-07 5:21 PM
2014-02-07 6:12 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

A video of your swim would help the folks here give you some specific pointers but I think Jason is right...you're going too fast. 

I started doing this about 15 months ago (I'm 54 now) and I was gassed after swimming 75 yards.  I took some lessons to re-learn a proper swim stroke, bought some fins (to work on my kick and improve ankle flexibility) and a pull buoy (to work on my catch/pull).  I worked on the drills/workouts the instructor gave me (ie. kick sets, catch-up drill, bi-lateral breathing, etc...) for a couple of months before joining her masters class.  Roughly 1 year after starting, I swam 6100 meters as part of a end of year set in December...with a little perseverance, I know you can do the same.  If you want quick access to some drills to work on you can go here...  http://exceltriathletes.blogspot.com/ .

I remember getting frustrated too.  Be patient and don't worry about speed right now.   Focus on proper technique...speed and your ability to handle more distance will come by working on the fundamentals. 

Edited by JoelO 2014-02-07 6:12 PM
2014-02-07 7:19 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
1 year. 100,000 yards. And I still suck, but I don't feel like I'm going to drown. That's only averaging 2000 yards per week, but those first few months can be very, very slow.

Stick with it for a while and swim as much as you can. Once you get over the initial hump of "swimming sucks" and get your breathing and tempo down you may see some really great gains very quickly. Best of luck to you.

2014-02-07 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
get a time machine... 8 years old is a great time to start.
2014-02-07 8:13 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

I've been swimming for almost 2 years now. I'm still bad. Every time I think I'm doing great, I just need to look at my watch to see otherwise. I AM improving though and I have a swim coach looking at me and always telling me what I'm doing wrong This year is my "lets get swim serious" year. I've upped my swim sessions to 4x/week at about 3K yds per day. I'm going all out this year and then probably really backing off for a while, so I want to try hard in everything this year at the expense of a lot of free time.... Getting video tapped swimming does help. My coach telling me that I'm crossing over the center line just didn't stick to my mind until I saw it on video. Now I understand what he was talking about and make active efforts to fix it.
2014-02-07 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4946150

User image

OP I am in the same boat! I just started swimming and am gassed after 25 yards. I know I'm in good endurance shape from all of the running I do so it has been frustrating.
2014-02-08 5:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I had been an age group swimmer when I was young, but hadn't done any serious swimming for 30 years when I started doing triathlons. 

It took me about two years to get comfortable with triathlon swimming, both with the longer distances and the  open water aspect.

Learning not to go out too fast was a big factor for me.

Good luck,

Mark

2014-02-08 5:11 AM

User image

Veteran

Just keep working at it. Being comfortable in the water is paramount.

Float on your back, doggy paddle, just to prove to yourself that you don’t have to “swim” to not drown.

Technique will make you more efficient and go faster but if you must believe you are safe in the water.

I spent many hours and laps in the pool and working with an OWS group before I ever raced. Started racing at 50 and love it. You can do it; you just need to get the right mindset and help to make yourself better.

As for time I started in December '12 and had a GREAT HIM Swim in Sept '13.

I'm not some awesome athlete; I'm normal as far as I can tell (maybe not all normal but...) not fast either but I was comfortable in the water and confident. I think that was more important to my swim success than my technique.

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2014-02-08 5:14 AM

2014-02-08 5:47 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by simpsonbo
get a time machine... 8 years old is a great time to start.

^^^That's me

Originally posted by Jason N
70 year olds (even those with horrible swim form) can swim 500 yards straight just fine. The reason you're out of breath is because you are not comfortable in the water, and your brain is sending uneccessary signals to your body to avoid drowning.

But seriously, this is spot on. We had a guy who was 99 years old drive himself to the pool and swim for 20 minutes every day. Once you're comfortable in the water, things will get a lot easier. Working with swimmers/coaches is a great way to go because, as everyone else has said, swimming is all about technique. If you form bad habits when learning to swim they will stick with you forever.
2014-02-08 7:28 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
honestly... it took me about 5 years of swimming... I despised it for the first 3 or so too. something clicked about 2 years ago, and it started becoming much much easier.... than again this year (i've been swimming 3-4 times a week) and I finally was able to go under 1:10 in a 100 interval. I started with no swimming background, coming from being a track runner and could barely hold 2:00 per hundred (if I could make it the full hundred) when I started.

SO MUCH TECHNIQUE... It isn't as much about getting "stronger" as it is about reducing drag. Everything is about drag in swimming.
2014-02-08 9:05 AM

User image

New user

Raleigh
I agree with everyone on here talking about coaches and videos. It always helps to get someone to look at you, so it's GREAT that you have a coach. I've been swimming for about 3 years now, and can now swim 1:25 100s pretty easily. That's no where near high-school swimmer good, but I'm happy that I'm no longer swimming 2:00 100s and getting out of breath after 450 yards. It wasn't until after year 2 of swimming 4 - 5 x per week, though, that I finally felt like I could call myself a "decent" swimmer.

Now I just swim 3 x per week between 2,000 and 3,000 yards in order to focus more on biking. I've noticed that my progress has stalled ... give and take.
2014-02-08 9:16 AM
in reply to: pburnett

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by pburnett

honestly... it took me about 5 years of swimming... I despised it for the first 3 or so too. something clicked about 2 years ago, and it started becoming much much easier.... than again this year (i've been swimming 3-4 times a week) and I finally was able to go under 1:10 in a 100 interval. I started with no swimming background, coming from being a track runner and could barely hold 2:00 per hundred (if I could make it the full hundred) when I started.

SO MUCH TECHNIQUE... It isn't as much about getting "stronger" as it is about reducing drag. Everything is about drag in swimming.

I am totally jealous of your progress. Eight years from starting from zero, I am still waiting for that breakthrough. I have made huge progress and am very comfortable in the water but I am still not where I want to be.

To the OP, it will take countless hours of work and lessons to get there. You can get comfortable in the water pretty quickly but it requires a lot of work to make swimming somewhat easier/more natural. I have swum over a million yards since January of 2012 and even now swimming feels like hard work to me. (Perhaps I am just particularly inept). I have changed my mindset. I used to dread swim training and now I look forward to it. Little victories.....
2014-02-08 2:45 PM

User image

I agree with what may of the posters are saying. Slow down, swim 25 meters, regroup and repeat. Work on the catch and being as streaming as possible. I've been swimming two years and have been swimming laps in the pool for the past 5 months, two to three sessions per week. I'm JUST beginning to feel it all come together. Building up swim specific muscles takes a LONG time.

Two tools that really helped me, I purchased roka sims swim trunks for my pool sessions. The additional float in the swim trunks got my bony as# up so I had a more streamline profile. The trunks worked just like a swim buoy, except you didn't have to think about them.
The second item that helped was a SMALL pair of swim paddles. The first thing I noticed when swimming with them that if my hand entry was wrong the paddles amplified the error. You learn very quickly what a good entry and pull against the water feels like. I usually swim 10 laps without the paddles to warm up, than I switch to the paddles to remind me what a good stroke and catch feels like. Than it's back to swimming without to try and duplicate the feeling. Since the paddles are small, I don't strain my shoulder muscles but yet get a quick workout.

As your technique improves, you'll go faster with a give power input!

2014-02-08 4:06 PM
in reply to: Macguyverguy

User image

I'm into my second year of swimming and progress is very slow. My philosophy is to not set my goal on time but on a goal. I select a goal, let's say to have my hand entry right, work on it until I feel comfortable with it and then set another goal. Judging my success by time was too depressing for me.
2014-02-08 4:40 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have been at this since 2007.  I have a slow swim....but it "looks" pretty according to others so what the heck?  THer has to be some technique things I could do to improve but whatever....it is my weak link no matter what.

2014-02-08 7:46 PM

It took me THREE years to go from near dead last to exactly middle of the pack. And I worked fairly hard during those three years, with focused technique, decent volume/time for a beginner, and even enough hard efforts once i got the basics down. 

Swimming absolutely doesn't come to me naturally, not one bit. I feel like I've earned every second with sweat and blood! And contrary to what some of the fish experience here, it also goes very quickly for me - if I'm out of the pool for 3 weeks, I lose almost all my swim ability. (It comes back fairly quickly though.)

2014-02-09 1:39 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Being an adult on-set swimmer and slow is no fun. Trying to find out what is wrong is important and difficult to grasp but what to do about it is even harder. Too many real swimmers just throw out the "harder and more" routine and boy is swimming 2000 yards a session or what ever at a slow poke pace fun, week after week. I'm glad there are other things in life to think about then slow swimming.
2014-02-09 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
My experience was 3 years, same as another poster. My first tri I made it through with about 100 years of crawl, the rest was breaststroke. The second was about the same. I spent that winter just forcing myself to swim until I could go the distance, and didn't care much for "form", and it showed. I had no kick, fishtailed a fair amount, and had a bad habit of raising my head in the water when breathing, which triggered a bunch of nasty stuff. Still, by year two I was able to make the distances. I followed the 'coventional triathlon wisdom' that is 'ignore the legs, they float in a wetsuit'. I swam with my arms, and was able to average about 1:45\100m. Not bad, far from good. For triathlons, that's the middle of the pack, sad as that is.

I threw my whole stroke out and started from scratch with some very rudimentary drills in the middle of the summer last year. I had gotten stronger on the bike and run, and the swim was now a glaring weakness. The goal was to develop a whole body stroke, with proper timing, a strong kick, and obviously improved speed. It hadn't quite sunk in by the end of the season, but it was starting to take root. There was no 'click' moment, but I could tell very early on where it was headed from a sensation standpoint, and now the slowest I can swim is 1:45\100m. I used a coach, albeit an online one...however his approach worked very well for me. Now? My stroke doesn't have a starting trigger or end trigger, it has several points from several movements from which I can start, and I have gotten to the point where I know how well I'm going based on the sounds of the water moving...it's fun as hell. It sure wasn't that fun until about 6 months ago, and it was a big leap of faith to scrap what I had previously, because it was poor, but serviceable.

There's some hidden information in that story...
1) I swam as a kid, but not competitively. I've never been afraid of the water or drowning, etc. I learned all 4 strokes as a kid, even though I sucked at them.
2) I was working very hard on improving my run throughout the 3 years, and the cardiovascular gains from that process can't be ignored.
3) Being an arm-based swimmer for most of that time, I developed a good amount of strength there that made transitioning to a full body stroke a lot easier. If you tie my legs together I can still swim a mile tarzan style. I won't like it, but I can. Also, I have always had very strong legs.
4) Having been unable to swim well, then able to swim poorly but adequately, then mediocre, and finally decently (I'll never be "good", I'll leave that to the fish who have been and will always have been swimming much longer than I), the psychological barriers are gone completely. I've been punched, kicked, plunged, drafted on, drafted by, pushed into a buoy, bonked into a kayak, dolphin dived, over under and through pretty much everything at this point while in competition, and I don't have anything left to be worried about. I've even thrown up while swimming while getting punched in the groin. Finished that swim, too.

I'm working with a friend of mine who's just starting out, and he was like you, gassed after 50. Good advice or not, I'm not sure, but I advised him to turn his legs off completely and gave him some upper body drills that focus on rotation from the waist and middle torso. The goal was to show him 1) his exhaustion is from poor form, not lack of fitness, and 2) we can build this, but not with what he's doing now. His next trip to the pool he said he was able to swim for "much longer" (his words) and felt a lot more comfortable. Mission accomplished. The next steps will be continuing to build strong rotation, and then learning to time - not yet drive, but time - the stroke from a combination of arms and legs. Both the trainer and coach you mention sound like they are doing the same thing for you. However, please don't assume the weight room is the solution I promise, it's not.

If you're able to swim 4-5 times a week for an hour, so long as you're working on getting everything to work together, you'll figure a lot of it out naturally assuming you're not hopeless (!). Do at least 200 yards of kicking alone, and drill your weaknesses until they become easy. Then you'll find more weakness, and drill that. You'll become your own coach, and you'll be able to criticize and correct yourself. Best of luck! If you ever need a hand let me know, I love to help people swim happier!

2014-02-09 9:55 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
A year of doing backstroke for anything over 50 meters, 3 months of doing TI until one day it clicked and I could do freestyle as long as I wanted to. I took a few lessons and did improve a little. Now I can go a little under 2:00/ 100 meters in a tri when I've somewhat trained. During the summer I swim 3-4 times a week, 1000-2000 meters a pop. I can go months without swimming and get in the pool and I'm fine swimming. It's my weak link but I honestly enjoy it during the summer (in outdoor pools), and haven't been willing to invest the time or money to do masters or coaching to get better.
Swimming is really different from running or biking, where you gradually build up over months. It wasn't like I got gassed after 25 meters and added on like 2 meters per workout. Be patient and one day you'll have a breakthrough and be able to do (slow) freestyle all day long. I think for most of us you go from barely being able to do 50 meters without stopping to being able to do 500+ with no problem, and we can't quite tell why.
2014-02-10 12:17 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Swim well?  Probably 6 months the year I was 16.  I'd done BSA Lifeguard a few years earlier and signed up for Red Cross Advanced Lifesaving, Advanced Swimming, and then Water Safety Instructor and got a job lifeguarding and teaching lessons that summer.  I made a conscious effort to learn front crawl well enough to demonstrate/teach it to kids.  That included breathing either left or right. 

I swam 50 miles that summer and could swim 1800 yards in about 33 minutes (1:50/100 pace).  I lifeguarded a few more summers in college and got marginally faster.  When I did my first tri and started swimming again in 2005, I could do a similar pace and wasn't worried about the swim. 

I swam consistently in 2006-2011 and worked my pace down to 1:35/100 on my own.  The tri-club sponsored coached swimming lessons and 10 Saturdays of that and I was cruising through 100's at 1:29.  I probably swam 600,000 yards in 2006-2011 and was almost always between 1:40-1:55/100.  The 10 weeks (35,000 yards) with a swim coach watching me got me faster than the previous 5 years.  Unfortunately, I didn't swim much at all in 2012-2013. 

2014-02-10 12:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

Originally posted by Jason N

The trick that worked for me was to swim a lap as slow as possible.  This helped my overall comfort in the water and assured my brain that even if I got tired, I would not drown as I could always rely on this ridiculously easy effort.

When a swimmer is out of breath after 25 or 50 yards, it's not because they are not fit enough.  70 year olds (even those with horrible swim form) can swim 500 yards straight just fine.  The reason you're out of breath is because you are not comfortable in the water, and your brain is sending uneccessary signals to your body to avoid drowning.

I can confirm that!  At 71 I can swim 2500 yards easily if I don't push too hard.  And I usually stop there as I don't do any tris where the swim is more than 1 mile.  And starting only a few years ago I have just gotten an improved body position and I just now understand the feel of the water concept.  So don't give up.  It takes a while but it does get better.

2014-02-10 1:03 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Here is some feedback from somenoe who is:

1) slow
2) about a year into figuring this out

My first sessions were struggling 25s. You having a coach who can point out weaknesss is awesome. Mileage comes with repreated pool visits and building your confidence.

Some of the best things I did for water confidence:

I remebered by school training about treading water and underwater drills. Going to the pool and NOT swiming but spending the time retreaving toys from the bottom of the deep end and spending 10-15 minutes treading water stationary reminds me that even out in a lake somewhere I will be able to chill, get organised and reboot my swim.
When I do get tired or inhale water I have practiced not breaking my stroke but being patient, coughing under water to get rid of the unwanted lungful, and then getting my next two breaths and keeping going. Even in the worst case where in the next breath, feeling oxygen deprived you again inhale water it is then time to roll onto your back and kick it out for a while and get organised. Either way I am still making forward progress.
Plenty of slow laps. I know the way to get good is to work on drills and fast repeats but slow laps build a mental image of yourself as someone who can swim a long way.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long did it take.. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Taking breaks on long rides

Started by xine2kgts
Views: 1665 Posts: 22

2011-06-22 11:02 AM xine2kgts

This takes a long time.

Started by ChiefBrody
Views: 1226 Posts: 13

2010-01-19 3:35 PM Baowolf

Longest Ride You've Done on a Trainer Pages: 1 2 3

Started by supa-powa
Views: 4986 Posts: 60

2014-02-19 7:37 AM Hot Runner

Taking "Time Off" - How Long?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 901 Posts: 6

2008-12-18 10:19 AM Daremo

What is the longest triathlon you've done Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 2418 Posts: 40

2007-09-11 7:14 PM runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.