General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I wonder how the cold winter is going to effect the compitition this year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-02-11 8:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: I wonder how the cold winter is going to effect the compitition this year
Last year everyone was out biking really early and times seemed to be faster . Just wondering if the cold weather will stop some of us from training as much as normal. Running has even been a little rough this year

2014-02-11 8:37 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: I wonder how the cold winter is going to effect the compitition this year
Not at all. You can swim, bike, run all inside as well.

Correlation does not imply causation.
2014-02-11 8:42 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: I wonder how the cold winter is going to effect the compitition this year
I'm guessing it will slow things down for the areas that are colder. You can train inside but it's hard to get the same intensity and the same muscle groups tweaked.
2014-02-11 8:49 PM
in reply to: b2run

I never expect to get much down outdoors during Jan and Feb so training indoors is no biggie. I assume that is true for most. However, a cold spring is another thing. Last year the spring weather sucked in my neck of the woods. I'm praying this turns around and we have a decent March/April/May. If this persists much longer, the moods are going to get worse than they already are. I don't think we've been above freezing in Chicago for over two weeks. This last cold blast has been very persistent.
2014-02-11 9:43 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by b2run I'm guessing it will slow things down for the areas that are colder. You can train inside but it's hard to get the same intensity and the same muscle groups tweaked.

I completely disagree.

2014-02-11 9:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
penticton
and i agree....with you.....

2014-02-11 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by b2run I'm guessing it will slow things down for the areas that are colder. You can train inside but it's hard to get the same intensity and the same muscle groups tweaked.

I completely disagree.

X2

I would also argue that riding on the trainer can be far more beneficial then outside.
2014-02-11 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

I completely disagree.

i concur. i would rather people be out doing slow cruises than indoors doing hard intervals as far as competition.

2014-02-12 5:26 AM
in reply to: #4948035

User image

Elite
I disagree also.

I did not start getting fast until I took the bike off the road and on the trainer. Even in the summer.
2014-02-12 5:30 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
My training has changed exactly zero %. I can't imagine the competition will have changed at all, either. It's just winter, not Armageddon.
2014-02-12 9:58 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by b2run

I'm guessing it will slow things down for the areas that are colder. You can train inside but it's hard to get the same intensity and the same muscle groups tweaked.

You've never done a sufferfest video apparently. I've never seen my HR in the 190's while riding outside.

2014-02-12 10:09 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Originally posted by b2run

You've never done a sufferfest video apparently. I've never seen my HR in the 190's while riding outside.

Truth. I've thrown up and almost passed out this winter on the trainer. You can't execute intervals like that on the road without putting yourself in danger.

Also, fast people are usually pretty committed. The pointy end don't usually make weak excuses. They train like ninjas in the winter and then unleash the fury when the time comes. I started following some cyclists on Strava I may end up racing with and they are out on weekend putting 70-80 miles in....I live in CT and it sucks here. Nothing stops them.
2014-02-12 10:11 AM

Originally posted by bcagle25

I completely disagree.

X2

I would also argue that riding on the trainer can be far more beneficial then outside.

The cold, snow and ice here in the NY area s#cks , and it has impacted my run training. I agree with the bike/trainer argument, and nobody up north is swimming outdoors anyway, but running is different, at least for me. I have an upper limit in terms of time on the treadmill. I just get so bored running inside, and top out at 9ish miles. I don't have that same upper limit running outside, and thus my long runs are much better outside. So, in that regard, my training is not going as well given the b#tt fricken cold and icy winter. And ffs, it's supposed to snow another 10-14 inches here starting tonight.

2014-02-12 10:11 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

whatever you all want to say about sufferfest, theres no work like riding a group ride with Cat 2's and 3's ripping your legs off while you try to hold on for dear life, and that doesn't happen in the snow.

That being said it won't change times come race day.

2014-02-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I suspect that on some of the early races around here that the water temps will be somewhat Cooler, but that's about it. The cooler temps haven't effected
outdoor training that much this year maybe a little bit but not as much as the additional Snow load and crappy sidewalks and roads. .

And my training volume has actually goes up in the winter for the most part especially on the trainer inside.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-02-12 10:30 AM
2014-02-12 10:57 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JAYCT
Truth. I've thrown up and almost passed out this winter on the trainer. You can't execute intervals like that on the road without putting yourself in danger. Also, fast people are usually pretty committed. The pointy end don't usually make weak excuses. They train like ninjas in the winter and then unleash the fury when the time comes. I started following some cyclists on Strava I may end up racing with and they are out on weekend putting 70-80 miles in....I live in CT and it sucks here. Nothing stops them.

It's been in the 20's or lower with snow and ice on the ground here for weeks.  My son's training peaks log show solid 17-20 hours per week for the last month. My guess is that MAYBE 3 or 4 hours out of those 68-80 are outside.  He's doing some smoking fast interval work on an overspeed treadmill along with a weekly run of 5-7 miles on the treadmill, and his bike work is all zone 4-5 intervals for 3-5 hours per week. He also started twice a week functional strength work, over the winter, for the first time.  I know where he was at the end of XC season with his fitness and he's waaay ahead of that now.  Track season starts in 2 weeks, first tri in April. 

As for me.......it appears I like long walks on moonlit snowy nights these days. LOL

2014-02-12 11:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JAYCT
Truth. I've thrown up and almost passed out this winter on the trainer. You can't execute intervals like that on the road without putting yourself in danger. Also, fast people are usually pretty committed. The pointy end don't usually make weak excuses. They train like ninjas in the winter and then unleash the fury when the time comes. I started following some cyclists on Strava I may end up racing with and they are out on weekend putting 70-80 miles in....I live in CT and it sucks here. Nothing stops them.

It's been in the 20's or lower with snow and ice on the ground here for weeks.  My son's training peaks log show solid 17-20 hours per week for the last month. My guess is that MAYBE 3 or 4 hours out of those 68-80 are outside.  He's doing some smoking fast interval work on an overspeed treadmill along with a weekly run of 5-7 miles on the treadmill, and his bike work is all zone 4-5 intervals for 3-5 hours per week. He also started twice a week functional strength work, over the winter, for the first time.  I know where he was at the end of XC season with his fitness and he's waaay ahead of that now.  Track season starts in 2 weeks, first tri in April. 

As for me.......it appears I like long walks on moonlit snowy nights these days. LOL

Yep. Basically all that changes is going inside for training a lot more often. In my case it's all the time. Still get done with what needs to be done.

2014-02-12 11:28 AM

User image

It's cold?

2014-02-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Jason N

It's cold?

I like what you're doing
2014-02-12 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

Last year everyone was out biking really early and times seemed to be faster . Just wondering if the cold weather will stop some of us from training as much as normal. Running has even been a little rough this year

Also noted that my snowshoe running has dramatically improved. More strength work for the run, so really this is a win!
2014-02-12 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
As I sit here looking at all the snow on the ground I'm on the comfortable position of stating that I will be much stronger on the bike than previous years. Bike, meet trainer....Trainer, meet bike. Hello FTP, VO2, TSS, Z4 and all those other terms I was not familiar with until this winter. I'm sure I'm not alone in this wintery endeavor....

2014-02-12 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I feel i have gotten more faster since i have been on the trainer so much. Definately more than last year thanks to all these snow storms we have been getting.
2014-02-12 5:07 PM
in reply to: yarislab

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

We have had a lot of cold, icy, snowy, rainy, windy weather and every time I go out in it and suffer through it I cannot help but think that I hope others in my age group looked at the weather and laid on the couch instead.

2014-02-12 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
It won't effect it at all. It might affect it.
2014-02-12 6:38 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by JAYCT Truth. I've thrown up and almost passed out this winter on the trainer. You can't execute intervals like that on the road without putting yourself in danger.  

I've never had a problem making my HR reach my peak on the road.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I wonder how the cold winter is going to effect the compitition this year Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How many colds did you get this winter? Pages: 1 2

Started by yazmaster
Views: 3774 Posts: 46

2013-01-17 11:55 PM Left Brain

For those of you wondering where I went, here's the scoop

Started by furiousferret
Views: 1748 Posts: 12

2012-06-25 10:50 AM trigal38

1st year done, winter plans?

Started by DaveL
Views: 750 Posts: 3

2011-09-19 12:05 PM morey000

First winter run of the year

Started by axteraa
Views: 653 Posts: 5

2009-12-12 5:58 PM bfoyle

Just wondering how far off I am ...

Started by Parr8hed
Views: 1222 Posts: 12

2009-02-11 9:53 PM Parr8hed
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!

date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.