General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me pick an Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Subject: RE: help me pick an Ironman
Just pick and go, a 140.6 is going to be hard and they all have unique difficulties. Take AZ you get a nice flat course but you also might get wind and or heat. There is no perfect IM course, there is no perfect conditions race day will bring what race day brings.

I am going through the same thing you are going through I want my first IM in 2015 and I want it ironman branded and I want to be able to drive to it. That left me Tahoe, Arizona, Boulder and Coure D'alene. I just looked at the positives and downsides for each. Arizona was the closest drive so plus 1, Arizona is nice and flat plus one, Arizona is November and I live in the desert which means the bulk of my training would be done during the summer and 110 degree temps minus 2, wind (I hate wind I'd rather ride a hilly course than a windy one) minus one, heat minus one, difficulty of getting in minus 1 so AZ ended up being a -2. CDA longest drive of the 4 minus one, June race which allows me to train during the winter (I did training as 2 because the heat here is a double factor to train in) plus 2, hills minus 1, plenty of time to register and decide plus 1 so it ended up being a +1. I think my Tahoe and Boulders came out to 0's. So CDA won and that's how I decided.

Just do that list the benefits, list the downsides and just do a math factor who wins wins.

2014-03-18 4:47 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by meggfishy

One of my concerns with IMMT is that a lot of what I've read indicates I may need different gearing, or a road bike. My only bike is my 2012 Cervelo P2 with stock components, and I'm not really in the market for a new bike or doing a lot of work on mine.

I used a regular crank on my P2c...and simply switched to a 11-28 cassette. The 28 was very nice to have on the last 10k portion.

Really the only area where this is needed is on the last 10K of the loop. I would suggest standing on the steepest parts, which are very short and rolling (you go up and then down).

There were quite a few on road bikes, and probably compact cranks, but not necessary.

Depending on your "theory" of run performance off the bike, a compact might be better, but not required IMO.
2014-03-18 6:55 PM

One to keep in the back of your mind is Chesapeakeman (although in Sept, it is in Cambridge MD, an easy drive from DC) though the organization (TriColumbia) that runs it is going under WTC has indicated they will be buying the races from TriColumbia. So there is a possibility it could reemerge as a IM branded event in 2015. Like I said, keep it in the back of your mind because nothing definite has happened yet.
2014-03-19 8:14 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I want to echo what others have said about Mont Tremblant.

I did the 70.3 last year and this was easily the nicest, cleanest best(est) run race I have ever been to. The support from the locals was fantastic. The course was challenging but not too hard. My wife loved it as a spectator. It will be hard to top the experience there. Yes, there is a little bit of up and down on the bike but it isn't bad.

If you haven't read it already, here is a guide to IMMT that is well worth perusing:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/Ironman_Mt_Tremblant_guide_3818...
2014-03-19 11:59 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I'm sooooo conflicted. IMMT is winning out in every way except for the hills. If it tells you anything about the terrain I train on, I haven't used my small chainring in about a year. Even in the "hillier" races I've done (North East Tri, for the Marylanders), I've stayed in the big ring the whole time. So a lot of the talk about swapping cassettes and whatnot is really intimidating to me, as a relatively new cyclist.

I do think descending is much more of an issue for me than climbing, honestly. I'm not too heavy (5'8 and 130ish) and when I do races with hills, I tend to pass people on the uphill and then they fly by me on the descents. Hills for me are more of a mental issue than a physical one. But I like the sound of the IMMT course not being overly technical, and of the roads being in great shape.
2014-03-19 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas

I'm sooooo conflicted. IMMT is winning out in every way except for the hills. If it tells you anything about the terrain I train on, I haven't used my small chainring in about a year. Even in the "hillier" races I've done (North East Tri, for the Marylanders), I've stayed in the big ring the whole time. So a lot of the talk about swapping cassettes and whatnot is really intimidating to me, as a relatively new cyclist.

I do think descending is much more of an issue for me than climbing, honestly. I'm not too heavy (5'8 and 130ish) and when I do races with hills, I tend to pass people on the uphill and then they fly by me on the descents. Hills for me are more of a mental issue than a physical one. But I like the sound of the IMMT course not being overly technical, and of the roads being in great shape.

Don't let the hills deter you. I have only done Ironman Louisville (twice, 2011 and 2013) and since I live in a completely flat area, doing that race twice is still the only time I have ever been out of the big chain ring. I have the same bike as you, and I kept it stock for IM Lou, I didn't switch out my rear cassette. Doing hard intervals on the bike trainer helped with doing a hilly course. Sounds like IMMT is the race for you

2014-03-19 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

if you are referring to the "high speed descending" mentioned in the ST review, I'd say that's up to you how fast you decide to go. Stay to the right and do your own thing. The daredevils will pass you. The roads are fairly straight and well paved.
2014-03-19 3:33 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by spudone

Just throwing one more thing into the mix: Tri Bike Transport now has an option for Cozumel, if that interests you.

You know that's my vote Late November, BEAUTIFUL course, flat, and cheap cheap cheap to stay (and eat and drink)

2014-03-19 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
IMMT. . . plus, les Quebecois are very nice.
2014-03-19 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4966182

User image

Champion
Alabama
IMKY. Why? Because it's you weakest leg....do f' it. Swing for the fence. Train harder on the bike and get better?

Point is, if you are a bucket lister, the find the easiest (for you) IM. But if you are all in...in it god the long hall....life as a triathlete IMer.....the go for broke.

Finally, does it really matter if you finish in 10 hrs or 12 hrs? Those numbers for an IM mean nothing to 99.9% of people...enen many triathletes. Do the race that fits your schedule and budget and forget about how 'difficult' it will be.
2014-03-19 7:14 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Rogillio

IMKY. Why? Because it's you weakest leg....do f' it. Swing for the fence. Train harder on the bike and get better?

Point is, if you are a bucket lister, the find the easiest (for you) IM. But if you are all in...in it god the long hall....life as a triathlete IMer.....the go for broke.

Finally, does it really matter if you finish in 10 hrs or 12 hrs? Those numbers for an IM mean nothing to 99.9% of people...enen many triathletes. Do the race that fits your schedule and budget and forget about how 'difficult' it will be.

I wouldn't call me a bucket lister, but it would likely be quite some time before I ever did another one (I'm a 31-year-old married woman with no kids yet...you see where this goes). It's not about "easy" and I don't really care about my time as long as it's under the cutoff, but I am trying to play to my strengths like anyone else.

2014-03-19 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4968174

User image

Champion
Alabama
I understand. You will finish whichever IM you choose. The DNS rate is always higher then hand DFN rate for an IM. Don't ask me to site the source of ghost but I researched it once.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
2014-03-20 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Meg,

I am in the same situation as you. I am 30, no kids yet but the wife is starting to talk so you can also see where this is going and thats why I am doing my IM this year. One thing I want you to look at is in your quote above you said that you never used your small chain ring, even for the hilly races like North East. I have done North East and I thought it was a hilly course. IMO, if you can stay in big gear for that entire race and all of your other races, you are a stronger cyclist then you give yourself credit for. Keep training with big gear work and that will prepare you for the hills. No shame in dropping into the small gear and spinning up a hill and then going back into the big gear to bomb down. Most of the rollers you can sling shot right back up and probably be in the big gear still. Again, you have well over a year to prepare for your IM so no need to worry. I am a bigger guy (6"1, 192lbs) so needless to say, I hate hills but I love them in the same way. I will be the guy going up at 8-10mph but bombing down at 35mph. I like the rest that they provide and for me, mentally it breaks up the monotny of the ride. Having been to MT before and seeing most of the course, its gorgeous and there is a lot to look at to keep you mentally stimulated. The roads are prefectly paved and the town is just awesome. I also was looking at IMFL for my first IM and also CDA but in the end, I knew IMMT was the race for me. The drive, price of housing, things to do in town, weather, lake swim, etc made it a no brainer. Don't let the fear of hills keep you from having a great IM experience. Biking is my weakest leg and although I am a little nervous about the bike since its my first IM, I am extremely confident that I will finish and have a good time. Find a plan, stick to your goals and you will get through it just fine.

Oh and if IMMT is winning out in every way expect the hills well.....that means its the one for you. You can train for the hills, you cant change timing, weather, location, etc. Go up and volunteer this year, take your bike and preview the bike course or atleast drive it. You will see its not that bad.
2014-03-20 10:27 AM

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Meg,

I am in the same situation as you. I am 30, no kids yet but the wife is starting to talk so you can also see where this is going and thats why I am doing my IM this year. One thing I want you to look at is in your quote above you said that you never used your small chain ring, even for the hilly races like North East. I have done North East and I thought it was a hilly course. IMO, if you can stay in big gear for that entire race and all of your other races, you are a stronger cyclist then you give yourself credit for. Keep training with big gear work and that will prepare you for the hills. No shame in dropping into the small gear and spinning up a hill and then going back into the big gear to bomb down. Most of the rollers you can sling shot right back up and probably be in the big gear still. Again, you have well over a year to prepare for your IM so no need to worry. I am a bigger guy (6"1, 192lbs) so needless to say, I hate hills but I love them in the same way. I will be the guy going up at 8-10mph but bombing down at 35mph. I like the rest that they provide and for me, mentally it breaks up the monotny of the ride. Having been to MT before and seeing most of the course, its gorgeous and there is a lot to look at to keep you mentally stimulated. The roads are prefectly paved and the town is just awesome. I also was looking at IMFL for my first IM and also CDA but in the end, I knew IMMT was the race for me. The drive, price of housing, things to do in town, weather, lake swim, etc made it a no brainer. Don't let the fear of hills keep you from having a great IM experience. Biking is my weakest leg and although I am a little nervous about the bike since its my first IM, I am extremely confident that I will finish and have a good time. Find a plan, stick to your goals and you will get through it just fine.

Oh and if IMMT is winning out in every way expect the hills well.....that means its the one for you. You can train for the hills, you cant change timing, weather, location, etc. Go up and volunteer this year, take your bike and preview the bike course or atleast drive it. You will see its not that bad.

MATT - I tend to believe that having kids is slightly more an issue for females than males...at least that's what I remember from those after school specials. ;-) And as a result, Meg might have a slightly different set of criteria than you when it comes to starting a family and timing of an IM, but I get your point.

MEG - All kidding aside, Matt's point about IMMT is spot on. If IMMT is perfect timing, location, weather, etc...and it's just the hills that concern you, then you should go for IMMT. You can train for hills. And I wouldn't be too worried about swapping out cassettes - if you're going for Kona or are super geeked-up on bike stuff, then perhaps you want to adjust your bike, but I think most AGs just ride "off-the-shelf" bikes. And I like Matt's idea about volunteering - you can get a good feel for the course, town and things. And if you get up there and realise that MT isn't for you, then you still have time to register for IMFL or another race.

And as somebody said earlier in this thread, each race has its own unique challenges. Pick the best one for you, which seems to be IMMT, and just train for it. 140.6 miles is a long day regardless of what IM you select.

Good luck.
2014-03-21 6:52 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
OK, I think it's IMMT. Eeeeeeeeeeek!
2014-03-21 8:23 AM

User image

this thread is making me want to do IMMT in 2015 as well!

2014-03-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

You people are crazy I can't imagine riding without using my small ring, then again I can climb 1000 feet by just leaving from my door and heading west and well east as well. Heck its easy for me to find %9 and %10 grades, I use my small ring every ride.
2014-03-21 11:49 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by austhokie

Do it do it! We can go find some hills in Virginia!
2014-03-21 12:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by austhokie
Originally posted by meggfishy OK, I think it's IMMT. Eeeeeeeeeeek!
Do it do it! We can go find some hills in Virginia!

And that's how you do it. It's pretty flat by me too, but I've done well on hilly courses from working various types of intervals well on the trainer and also driving out to hilly areas every now and then. As in spend the night, ride the next day and return later.

2014-03-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I think you made a good choice!!
2014-03-22 12:23 PM

User image

New user
As a flatlander myself (from Northern VA, 25 miles west of DC), I can tell you the hills won't be an issue if you have the base and put in the training necessary. I did St. George last year and it was my first 70.3.

I also second Tribike Transport. They are really not expensive and you can drop your bike off at the Bonzai tri store in Falls Church and it shows up in transition -- it really doesn't get easier than that.

I'd would also consider a different cassette on your rear wheel. I have a 2012 P2, which came with a 50/34 on the front and a 12/25 on the back. I just put a 11/28 on the back for my race in Coeur d'Alene on June. It's super easy to do -- just watch youtube or take it to a shop.

2014-03-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: psuross92

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by psuross92

I'd would also consider a different cassette on your rear wheel. I have a 2012 P2, which came with a 50/34 on the front and a 12/25 on the back. I just put a 11/28 on the back for my race in Coeur d'Alene on June. It's super easy to do -- just watch youtube or take it to a shop.

I know really nothing about this kind of stuff. Would the 11/28 also suit me fine for other races and regular riding on flat courses? Or is it a matter of swapping back and forth between cassettes?
2014-03-22 3:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-03-22 4:54 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by psuross92 I'd would also consider a different cassette on your rear wheel. I have a 2012 P2, which came with a 50/34 on the front and a 12/25 on the back. I just put a 11/28 on the back for my race in Coeur d'Alene on June. It's super easy to do -- just watch youtube or take it to a shop.
I know really nothing about this kind of stuff. Would the 11/28 also suit me fine for other races and regular riding on flat courses? Or is it a matter of swapping back and forth between cassettes?

I use an 11-28 cassette for a lot of my regular riding and many of my races (flat and rolling) but even if you do need to swap it back and forth, it's a 2 minute job at the most.  Get someone that knows how to do it show you once and you'll be good to go.

2014-03-22 9:45 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Regular
Washington, DC
Unfortunately there's no possible way for me to go volunteer for IMMT this summer -- have a family wedding that weekend. Anyone remember how long it took to sell out this year? I'm assuming I'll probably be ok as long as I'm ready at the computer as soon as it opens?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me pick an Ironman Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Help me pick my first IronMan

Started by cobannero
Views: 1481 Posts: 13

2006-09-05 11:58 PM tigerzcrib

help me pick my next race?

Started by autumn
Views: 523 Posts: 3

2004-08-02 9:04 PM TriBruin

Help me pick a bike

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 757 Posts: 6

2004-07-31 5:54 PM Machiavelo

Help me pick a trainging program- PLEASE

Started by whatiwillbe
Views: 1236 Posts: 10

2004-02-05 8:45 PM ford5683

PEOPLE FROM CHICAGO....help me pick a new race

Started by sirsam16
Views: 968 Posts: 2

2003-11-07 6:27 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.