General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me pick an Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-16 5:15 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: help me pick an Ironman
I'm starting my third season of triathlon and want to register for a 2015 IM. Criteria:

1. I want to do an IM-branded race.

2. The bike is my weakest sport, generally -- my performance is usually pretty balanced between the three sports, but I just started riding in 2012 (background is in swimming and marathoning). I've been working hard on the trainer all winter to get faster, but I still get easily spooked by traffic, steep descents, bad roads, wind gusts, etc. I also live in the middle of a city, and the outdoor riding I can access easily is flat. I'm extremely time-crunched and don't own a car, so I don't have the ability to get out of DC for all of my long rides to train on hills. Could probably do a few long rides outside of DC, just not regularly.

3. I'm looking for a race that I could realistically drive to from DC -- I'd prefer to not deal with shipping or flying my bike if possible.

4. My personal schedule in the month of September is usually very crazy, so a September race wouldn't be my top choice. MIGHT be able to work around it.

IM Florida seems like the obvious choice, but I don't know if it would be better to do a flat course where my legs never get to rest and the wind sucks, or to do a hillier course that's more sheltered from the wind...Mont Tremblant looks like it would be perfect in every way except I fear the bike course would be too much for me. Are there ANY bike courses that are rolling? It looks like they're either Florida/Arizona/Cozumel or crazy hilly, with no in between.

2014-03-16 5:29 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: help me pick an Ironman
Originally posted by meggfishy

I'm starting my third season of triathlon and want to register for a 2015 IM. Criteria:

2. The bike is my weakest sport, generally -- my performance is usually pretty balanced between the three sports, but I just started riding in 2012 (background is in swimming and marathoning). I've been working hard on the trainer all winter to get faster, but I still get easily spooked by traffic, steep descents, bad roads, wind gusts, etc. I also live in the middle of a city, and the outdoor riding I can access easily is flat. I'm extremely time-crunched and don't own a car, so I don't have the ability to get out of DC for all of my long rides to train on hills. Could probably do a few long rides outside of DC, just not regularly.

3. I'm looking for a race that I could realistically drive to from DC -- I'd prefer to not deal with shipping or flying my bike if possible.

4. My personal schedule in the month of September is usually very crazy, so a September race wouldn't be my top choice. MIGHT be able to work around it.

IM Florida seems like the obvious choice, but I don't know if it would be better to do a flat course where my legs never get to rest and the wind sucks, or to do a hillier course that's more sheltered from the wind...Mont Tremblant looks like it would be perfect in every way except I fear the bike course would be too much for me. Are there ANY bike courses that are rolling? It looks like they're either Florida/Arizona/Cozumel or crazy hilly, with no in between.

IMMT is not that hard a bike course.
There is 6miles (per loop) of climbing that a light person with proper gearing should not be concerned about.
The rest is pretty rolling.

2014-03-16 5:58 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Agree completely with Marc, the MT bike course is very fair.  There is no sustained climbing and the 6 miles he mentions is really just a series of rollers with more up than down.  

You will love the race, it's very well run and an excellent course all around!

2014-03-16 6:25 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Texas would be a good option (although it can be windy, but find me an IM race without wind....). the only drawback is the ridiculous heat and humidity. But the bike course isn't hard.
2014-03-16 6:29 PM

I did IMLP last year and it was great. You are probably looking at a 9 hour drive from DC depending on traffic. I think IMMT is probably more like 13 hours.

IMLP is a bit challenging towards the end of each bike loop but not "crazy hilly." I think looking at the elevation profile is misleading, and makes it look scarier than it is. I think that good pacing is the key (go easy on the first loop even though you will feel great). The loop is pretty much a deceptive climb out of town, some nice descents, a pretty long flat portion, then some climbs, but nothing steep or really long, just a net gain of elevation over the last 10 to 15 miles. The climbs that I recall are what they call "the cherries" which are two small hills, rollers really. And there are are the "3 bears" on the course, and I only noticed two of them, and when I got to "papa bear," afterwards, my impression was pretty much "that was it???"

And July '15 is plenty of time to get ready!!

Volunteers were awesome (though from what I hear they are at basically all IMs). The area is really nice also, and its a great atmosphere all around.

I'll be doing IMMT this year, so I can compare, but from what I understand, they are both great races with their own charms, and either would be a great experience.

IMLOU is probably also in the 10 hour driving range. I've heard good things about those who have done it, but the heat scares me!!!
2014-03-16 7:01 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Forgot to say that I've pretty much ruled out Texas and Louisville due to the heat. I'd also prefer a mass swim start over a time trial.

2014-03-16 7:48 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
I would choose Florida. I've done Louisville 2x and Florida in 2013.

We had absolutely zero wind. Nothing. Nada. You never know what weather will be like on race day.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to rest your legs. There is the bridge at miles 12 (going out) and you climb it again at mile 100 on the way back. And there is a series of rollers between miles 60-70 that people seem to leave out when saying Florida is a "flat course".

And you get your mass start.
2014-03-17 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4966182

User image

Elite
Not trying to be snarky but with your criteria and eliminating immediately IMKY and TX, that only leaves you with 3 choices .... IMLP, IMMT or IMFL.

You will.drive yourself nuts over analyzing what is easier or harder. It is 140.6 it will be hard.

I also did IMLP and though I agree with the above poster , I found the bike hard especially with my mechanical issue, but that is for another thread. If you cannot train on some hills you may find the bike difficult.

I do a lot of trainer work and would rather pedal nearly nonstop than climb but that is me.....also though pedalling a lot you can coast to.recover.

My opinion for.you is IMFL but it is hard to get into.. look to volunteer

Good luck
2014-03-17 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
MA

If September is a crazy month for you, doing an IM in November is not ideal. 2-8 weeks before your IM is critical training time.

I've done hilly and flat IMs. For me a faster IM bike is more pleasurable even with wind and no breaks in pedaling. 

Always an exciting decision to make. IMFL is hard to register for so if you choose that one, and can't get in on line will you pay double for community slot or wait another year.  MT was open and easier to get into this year so that is a positive.

No matter which race you choose to do, spend a lot of time on your bike this year to improve that portion as much of a success of an IM is based on pacing on your bike.

Enjoy the pre IM journey.

2014-03-17 6:52 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by FELTGood

Not trying to be snarky but with your criteria and eliminating immediately IMKY and TX, that only leaves you with 3 choices .... IMLP, IMMT or IMFL.

Well...yeah? I don't think you were being snarky, or had any need to be...pretty sure most people have criteria they're looking for in a race. I'm not looking for the "easiest" option, just trying to set myself up for success based on my strengths and weaknesses. I expect I'd probably be a 6:30ish biker and a 12-14 hour finisher on a course like Florida.

KathyG -- the September time commitment involves being on call by phone pretty much 24/7 on the weekends, so that's why I prefer not to race in September...can't race effectively when I'm up all night, and can't be away from my phone for hours to race. But so far it has worked OK for training. I'm not sure if I will continue this volunteer commitment or not once my term is up this year, so it may not even be relevant.
2014-03-17 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by FELTGood

You will.drive yourself nuts over analyzing what is easier or harder. It is 140.6 it will be hard.

Good luck

This

2014-03-17 7:54 AM

User image

I'd agree with FL. One other thing to note, with Chattanooga running this year, I'd guess FL will be easier to get in for 2015 than in the past, as Chattanooga will pilfer some of the demand. You might not need to volunteer to get a slot.
2014-03-17 8:06 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by FELTGood I do a lot of trainer work and would rather pedal nearly nonstop than climb but that is me.....also though pedalling a lot you can coast to.recover. 

I do a lot of trainer work as well, but am the other way around. But I think that has to do with this other point:

I find the hills and terrain to much more engaging than continuous flats, more mentally stimulating. For long course racing, this is something that can help a lot. Does it really matter if it takes 13 vs 14 hours to do? Which style of course actually looks the most fun to do? Various situations (like weather) can really change how "easy" or "hard" one course is vs the next, so which area is more appealing.

Edited by brigby1 2014-03-17 8:08 AM
2014-03-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Take a look at the site below. Might give you a little more "data". It breaks down each race by event and time and shows you the fastest and slowest times which you can probably use to determine which portion is roughly the "easiest" or "hardest"

http://www.runtri.com/2010/07/runtri-benchmarks-easiest-ironman.htm...

Edited by spiderjunior 2014-03-17 8:57 AM
2014-03-17 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by meggfishy

Lots of good advice already said here but I will tack on my 2 cents.

1.) Nothing wrong with wanting to do an IM branded race as your first. I am the same way and for my first, I wanted the show and lots of people around me as I am looking to be a 14-15hr finisher.

2.) Biking- I do about 90% of my biking on my trainer. I dont like riding outside unless I ride with people. I will be getting outside when it warms up around here to get some hill work in but you can also simulate hills on the trainer. Not sure if you or anyone you know has a computrainer but you can always get the ERGVIDEO of Mont Tremblant and hook that up to a computrainer. Also, if you put in the time on the saddle you will get results, trainer or not trainer. Good thing is you have PLENTY of time to improve your bike fitness between now and your IM so worrying about hills vs flat should not even be in your head right now. IMO, flat is harder because you are constantly pedaling. I have a few friends who have done it and said that the hills we train on in MD are harder then the hills at MT. You can do alot of research from Race Reports, profiles, talking to others but from a majority of what I have read and found, the IMMT bike course is not as hard as it appears. The roads are almost all completely closed to vehicular traffic, paved perfectly and the hills are short. Also, you get a break and rest when coming down the hills and the course is fairly straight and not many (if any) technical turns to navigate.

3.) Timing for you- Not too many options as others have said. I am doing IMMT this August. I live in Baltimore and I will be driving up. I went up last year to volunteer so I can check out the course, weather, area, etc. We drove up in about 11hrs, it really wasnt too bad at all. IMO, dont dismiss IMMT just yet. A quick search on Google Maps says that IMFL is a 14hr 30min drive from DC, IMMT is only 10hr 45min. Also, IMMT fits into your schedule better IMO. I started training in January and you will be done before your busy season at work starts. With IMFL, you will be super busy during the end of your build/beginning of your peak phase and missing workouts during this phase is not ideal. Also, think about getting into both races. IMFL is very very hard to get into and if you wait to register for IMFL and dont get in, IMMT 2015 will be sold out by then. I know in another thread you talked about looking for a nice summer vacation with your husband that has outdoor activities. I think you could kill two birds with one stone here and make a mini vacation out of IMMT and volunteer with your husband. Lots to do around town and you will get the awesome vibe of the town. Everyone comes out to support this race and its just amazing and inspiring!! To me, IMFl is just blah and I don't think the town supports the race in the same way. Traveling to Canada (if you have never done it) is not that bad and everything is in english/french and the people and town is so welcoming to everyone.

4.) You said that IMMT looks perfect in every way except for the bike. To me, this says that IMMT is your choice. Remember this, the bike leg is something you have well over 18months to prepare for and its not as bad as you think. Weather is more ideal/stable then IMFL, date works better for work, closer drive, lots of housing options, easy for family to spot athletes since its a 2 loop course for bike/run, lots to do in the town, free public transportation during race weekend, etc, etc. I would check out the IMMT group forum in IM Race Groups forum and you can talk to others who are doing the race, have done the race.

Obviously its your decision and after evaluating your options you know what will be the best decision for you. I am in no way trying to coerce you to doing IMMT but after reading your criteria, I just think its your best option.
2014-03-17 12:01 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

I agree with what dmbfan4life20 said in his post - seems like IMMT is a good choice for you.

I did IMFL as my first, and I chose that one mostly because of timing. When I decided to race an IM the following year it was already October, I had very few options left - so IMFL worked for me. Since you have a number of races available to you given your criteria, you're in a good position. In your OP, you said your September is crazy, then I would select a race prior to September; and that means that IMFL may not work for you.

Another factor to consider is salt vs. fresh water. Do you have a preference? This, IMHO, is an important factor. I hate salt water, and I suffered on the swim at IMFL. Ocean current and waves also play a role.

And one more issue to consider that hasn't been brought up yet. As the days get shorter in the fall, it becomes harder and harder to get in long rides on the weekends. In June, for example, you can be on the road at 5am-ish and get in a long ride and finish-up by mid-morning, but in September and October, 7am is the earliest you can start given later sunrises, so you "lose" more of your weekend to training. And also, if you run after work, its dark by 5-6pm. I knew I was going to finish in darkness at IMFL, so I did some of my runs at night to get used to the darkness and evening chillier temps, but losing daylight will impact your training schedule. So, long story short, IMFL is a great race and I highly recommend it, but I found that the last two months of training was more challenging because the days were getting shorter.

BTW, I used Tri-Bike Transport to take my bike to IMFL, and they were great. Not sure how other companies work, but TBT were great - exactly as advertised. So if you have to ship your bike, I would highly recommend TBT. I would def use them again.

Good luck whatever you choose - I'm sure you'll do great and have fun.

2014-03-17 1:24 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Master
, California

Just throwing one more thing into the mix: Tri Bike Transport now has an option for Cozumel, if that interests you.

2014-03-17 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I really liked IMMT.

I feared the bike during the training..but ya know in reality the bike course was (a) beautiful, (b) tons of screaming french Canadians in the little towns, and (c) it wasn't that hard. The first loop is the hardest, and I felt the need to dial it back, but the second loop went pretty smooth..

My training was decent but not stellar. did only 1 x 100 miler. Did work on getting my hill repeats in but nothing crazy.

Personally I thought the 2 loop run was harder than the bike for some reason.

Swim is very clean and nice single loop.

Also another neat thing is IMMT, being staged at a ski resort is at low altitude, bike maxs out at a little over 1KFT.
Temps were decent as well.
2014-03-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by metafizx

I really liked IMMT.

Beer at finish line !!
2014-03-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
One of my concerns with IMMT is that a lot of what I've read indicates I may need different gearing, or a road bike. My only bike is my 2012 Cervelo P2 with stock components, and I'm not really in the market for a new bike or doing a lot of work on mine.
2014-03-18 2:59 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by meggfishy One of my concerns with IMMT is that a lot of what I've read indicates I may need different gearing, or a road bike. My only bike is my 2012 Cervelo P2 with stock components, and I'm not really in the market for a new bike or doing a lot of work on mine.

In no way do you need a new bike and the people who say you need a road bike are just plain wrong.  You will be faster on the P2 and there is nothing technical about the course that would call for a road bike.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a compact crankset (50/34) already based on the stock components for the P2.  So all you would need is something like an 11-28 cassette for the back which you can probably get for $40-$50.

2014-03-18 7:48 AM
in reply to: cfib

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by cfib I'd agree with FL. One other thing to note, with Chattanooga running this year, I'd guess FL will be easier to get in for 2015 than in the past, as Chattanooga will pilfer some of the demand. You might not need to volunteer to get a slot.

Chattanooga opened for registration before IMFL this year and IMFL still sold out in a few minutes.  Not sure it changed the demand for IMFL in anyway.

2014-03-18 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by meggfishy One of my concerns with IMMT is that a lot of what I've read indicates I may need different gearing, or a road bike. My only bike is my 2012 Cervelo P2 with stock components, and I'm not really in the market for a new bike or doing a lot of work on mine.

In no way do you need a new bike and the people who say you need a road bike are just plain wrong.  You will be faster on the P2 and there is nothing technical about the course that would call for a road bike.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a compact crankset (50/34) already based on the stock components for the P2.  So all you would need is something like an 11-28 cassette for the back which you can probably get for $40-$50.

Exactly.  There isn't a single North American IM that a road bike would be beneficial over a tri bike.  None of them are technical enough or have enough sustained climbing.

2014-03-18 8:10 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by axteraa

Exactly.  There isn't a single North American IM that a road bike would be beneficial over a tri bike.  None of them are technical enough or have enough sustained climbing.

IMMT is 44miles of rolling hills and then a 6 mile climb and 6 mile down. x2
The 6mile up is not even a sustained up. It's a climb a bit down or flat...climb...a bit down or flat.

Every year there is an Oly that is 2x the up and down portion of the course and we don't even use road bikes for that. Then there are the 44miles of rolling hills where you would be significantly disadvantaged with a road bike over a tri bike.

I am heavy and not a strong biker (in relative terms) and I find MT as an average difficulty course. Many say easier than IMLP. Definitely faster.

The roads are perfect condition and the course is closed to traffic.

It's weird. If and when I do an IM I want to go somewhere more exotic than my back yard. But when I look at the course it's hard to imagine going elsewhere when you have this in your back yard.

Other thing people do is register for the 1/2 in June and then the full in August.
2014-03-18 11:18 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I have a trek SC7.0 with stock components( 50/34 compact with 12-28) and I dont plan on changing a thing. Others that I have spoke with said you can stay in aero for most of the bike because the hills are that straight forward.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help me pick an Ironman Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Help me pick my first IronMan

Started by cobannero
Views: 1483 Posts: 13

2006-09-05 11:58 PM tigerzcrib

help me pick my next race?

Started by autumn
Views: 523 Posts: 3

2004-08-02 9:04 PM TriBruin

Help me pick a bike

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 758 Posts: 6

2004-07-31 5:54 PM Machiavelo

Help me pick a trainging program- PLEASE

Started by whatiwillbe
Views: 1236 Posts: 10

2004-02-05 8:45 PM ford5683

PEOPLE FROM CHICAGO....help me pick a new race

Started by sirsam16
Views: 968 Posts: 2

2003-11-07 6:27 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.