General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-18 3:28 PM

User image

Subject: Power Meter
So who has one? What brand? Been training with Trainerroad virtual power most of the winter, wondering if I shoudl splurge on the power meter or just go by heart rate. Thoughts? Comments?

2014-03-18 5:30 PM
in reply to: kuatb

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Power Meter
Originally posted by kuatb

So who has one? What brand? Been training with Trainerroad virtual power most of the winter, wondering if I shoudl splurge on the power meter or just go by heart rate. Thoughts? Comments?

I've been training via virtual power also. Powermeter not in the budget. I will probably do at 1-2 rides a week on the trainer just to stay focused, then one or two outdoors, longer rides etc. I have heard good things about Quarq. Haven't gotten a lot of feedback on the new Garmin setup.

DC Rainmaker does an excellent job with his product reviews. Here's a link to his take on Power Meters.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/power-meters
2014-03-19 7:30 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Yep, very familar with DC Rainmaker, but thanks for the feedback.
2014-03-19 10:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Olathe
Had a PowerTap for several years, no problems and helped training and racing a lot. I have since sold it and got a set of Garmin Vectors, I no longer race triathlon, only bikes, so it is more of a training aid now, not so much for racing.

Power is much more effective training tool IMO because power is power, regardless of temperature, hydration, sleep, etc, all which can affect HR. Power is also instant, where as HR takes time to react to effort and slow down after the effort, making it much better, especially for short hard intervals.

Edited by IMHusker 2014-03-19 10:46 AM
2014-03-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: kuatb

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Quarq (x2), used to have a wired SRM, and did the virtual power thing prior to the SRM. Virtual power is great with a couple exceptions: accuracy and you can't race with it.

With regards to accuracy, a virtual power indicated 270W may differ quite a bit from reality, this might cause you to wonder why you are slower or faster than your numbers say you should be. Generally virtual power on any given fluid trainer is pretty consistent from day to day, assuming you have consistent tire pressure, load on the wheel, and temperatures, but variation from one trainer to the next, even among the hallowed Kurt Kinetic exists, YMMV.

Racing with a PM has frequently discussed pacing advantages for long course triathlons but I have also found that my best efforts for durations ranging from, say, 15-60 minutes often occur during short course races. Knowing those numbers will help you more accurately calculate your FTP and improve your training zones.

Another note, everybody seems to love Trainer Road but, if free offsets the occasional nuances of open source software, then Golden Cheetah is a worthy alternative. Pay off that power meter over the next 10 or 15 years with your Trainer Road subscription savings.

In my opinion, if it is in the budget, get it. Better to spend $2k on a bike and $1k on a power meter than $3k on a bike with no power meter.
2014-03-19 2:34 PM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I'm definitely watching some of the cheaper models that are coming out (ie. Stages). I don't think there is any way to match the pedal and crank-based powermeters in terms of accuracy of measurement and consistency ride-to-ride, but I think they are interesting and somewhere in my wife's price range. Not really, but closer...

I'm not sure about the Cycleops Powerstrap (or whatever it is). It's basically just an algorithm that runs off of HR. So just use your HR and save some money...

2014-03-21 9:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Been with a powermeter since Jan 2010. Quarq first, now Vector. I do not train and race like IMhusker above. I use all metrics. 280W at 60F and no humidity has one cost, while that same power has another cost at 90F and 95% humidity. I use HR along with RPE to supplement power. Much has been written about this and while power is a solid metric it is not the sole answer.
In order to have a full use of it one has to know how to read and interpret power files, PMC chart and have full understanding of form trending. Otherwise powermeter becomes just a very expensive odometer.

Edited by atasic 2014-03-21 9:26 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

KC 15k power pack

Started by dprocket
Views: 1146 Posts: 2

2013-09-20 1:33 PM m.a.burghart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.

date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.

date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : September 4, 2008
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.
date : May 7, 2008
Discussion on training and racing with power meters, differences between power meters, Kona preparation, Ironman pacing and nutrition and Ironman swim seeding.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.