Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Uninterested Spouse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-23 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: Uninterested Spouse

My husband doesn't complain about any of my triathlon training or races. Never asks or limits spending on gear, bikes, race fees etc. I pretty much decide what I want and do it/buy it. After a few years in this lifestyle, I've finally accepted that he just has no interest in waiting 6+ hrs for me to finish a HIM or asking about my training on any given day. This was really hard on me at first. I took it personally but "It is what it is" and it's ok although it still kinda sucks at times! Destination races can sometimes be a tad lonely if I don't know anyone.

Is there a "Hey, Lets hang together I'm solo at this race" meet-up that I don't know about? Hope so! :D

Any others in this situation? What do you do? How do you deal with it? Tell me I'm not alone!

2014-03-24 7:17 AM
in reply to: EV3110

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Subject: RE: Uninterested Spouse

I tend to go it solo as well.  I do usually get a question about how a training session went.  But when it comes to race day (any distance), she has no interest in meeting at the finish line.  I've have tried to plan a fun weekend around the races, but still end up going by myself.  As an introvert, it makes those races lonely.

I have had meet ups with people from BT and Livestrong in the past.  It's hard when those people bring their families.

2014-03-24 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

BT has a "racelink" feature where you can see what other BT'ers are doing a particular race. 

Many of the longer races (HIM/IM) have race threads.  When I did IMCdA, I friended a lot of the BT'ers also doing IMCdA and we met up pre/post race (in fact, one of the local BT'ers there hosted a BBQ the day before the race for us). 

2014-03-24 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm sorry your spouse isn't interested in the level you wish he were.  My heart kinda ached when I read that. I hope it really is "OK". Hugs :)

I don't know of anything official that helps people meet up, but with things like BT and ST, you can set up meeting up.  It does take some work ahead of time--and a desire to meet any of the people you interact with on the boards :)

I did see that someone posted in COJ about a tri group for singles on FB a few months ago.  I know you're not single, but in this context maybe that FB page would work to connect up with people for a meal or something.

I'm kind of the opposite--I like going to races where I don't know anyone and can just focus on my thing.  I can chat people up if I want but don't have to.  My husband has never come to a race either, but I like how I can just focus on the task at hand and don't have to compromise my sleeping or eating or anything.  That sounds pretty selfish, but when I race I like being by myself.

2014-03-24 10:22 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by EV3110 My husband doesn't complain about any of my triathlon training or races. Never asks or limits spending on gear, bikes, race fees etc. I pretty much decide what I want and do it/buy it. After a few years in this lifestyle, I've finally accepted that he just has no interest in waiting 6+ hrs for me to finish a HIM or asking about my training on any given day. This was really hard on me at first. I took it personally but "It is what it is" and it's ok although it still kinda sucks at times! Destination races can sometimes be a tad lonely if I don't know anyone. Is there a "Hey, Lets hang together I'm solo at this race" meet-up that I don't know about? Hope so! :D Any others in this situation? What do you do? How do you deal with it? Tell me I'm not alone!

Honestly, you are ahead of many people I have seen post about "troubles" like this.

You have to realize that everyone has different interests.  We are not all going to like everything someone else does, including spouses.  I'm into tri and golf and the wife is into yoga/Pilates and dance.  We both support each other to do what they enjoy.  I want her to do what she likes.  But I'm not going to ask her how her ballet class went or the yoga session and I'm not going to bother her with talking about triathlon or the round of golf I have.

Personally, I would not WANT to make my wife wait for me to finish an HIM, much less than an IM.  Most races I go alone unless I ask her to attend.  Even then, I say "see me off and say hi in T1 then I will see you at the finish in about 6 hrs"...  I know I wouldn't want to sit around for 5 hours, and I wouldn't want her to either.

There have been a few IM's I have had to do all by myself.  Sort of sad, but not that big of a deal.  What I miss more is some Sherpa help after the event.  But again, I (and you) could always ask the spouse to attend if it's a particularly important race.  But save that request for important events, IMO.  Not every sprint or oly or HIM is worth them also giving up half their day to sit around while you are out biking/running.  To them, there's nothing to do and they don't even get to see you.

But I know how you feel.  I'm cool with it most of the time and personally, don't even want to talk about my training day.  But destination races get a little sad.  Lugging all the gear, empty hotel room, no one at the finish...  But I understand.  She would go if she could.  Mostly because she works weekends so she would have to take time off.

2014-03-24 10:39 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
My spouse and daughters are about 50/50. On a daily basis they couldn't care less about my training and don't show up for any of the smaller local races, half the time I don't even tell them that I am racing. They did show up for 5/7 marathons and were at my HIM last year though they were only around for the last couple of hours.

They enjoy going to the destination races (mainly for the hotel, restaurants and pool). I'll see what they have to say about being in Boulder for my IM later this year, waiting around all day has to be tough for a spectator at a IM especially in the August heat, I figure that they will leave the area and go to the hotel/shopping mid day and only be there for the start and finish.

On the high point my wife actually talked me into signing up for the IM, so even though she doesn''t show an active interest in my training I know that she supports me.

2014-03-24 10:50 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by EV3110 My husband doesn't complain about any of my triathlon training or races. Never asks or limits spending on gear, bikes, race fees etc. I pretty much decide what I want and do it/buy it. After a few years in this lifestyle, I've finally accepted that he just has no interest in waiting 6+ hrs for me to finish a HIM or asking about my training on any given day. This was really hard on me at first. I took it personally but "It is what it is" and it's ok although it still kinda sucks at times! Destination races can sometimes be a tad lonely if I don't know anyone. Is there a "Hey, Lets hang together I'm solo at this race" meet-up that I don't know about? Hope so! :D Any others in this situation? What do you do? How do you deal with it? Tell me I'm not alone!

Honestly, you are ahead of many people I have seen post about "troubles" like this.

You have to realize that everyone has different interests.  We are not all going to like everything someone else does, including spouses.  I'm into tri and golf and the wife is into yoga/Pilates and dance.  We both support each other to do what they enjoy.  I want her to do what she likes.  But I'm not going to ask her how her ballet class went or the yoga session and I'm not going to bother her with talking about triathlon or the round of golf I have.

Personally, I would not WANT to make my wife wait for me to finish an HIM, much less than an IM.  Most races I go alone unless I ask her to attend.  Even then, I say "see me off and say hi in T1 then I will see you at the finish in about 6 hrs"...  I know I wouldn't want to sit around for 5 hours, and I wouldn't want her to either.

There have been a few IM's I have had to do all by myself.  Sort of sad, but not that big of a deal.  What I miss more is some Sherpa help after the event.  But again, I (and you) could always ask the spouse to attend if it's a particularly important race.  But save that request for important events, IMO.  Not every sprint or oly or HIM is worth them also giving up half their day to sit around while you are out biking/running.  To them, there's nothing to do and they don't even get to see you.

But I know how you feel.  I'm cool with it most of the time and personally, don't even want to talk about my training day.  But destination races get a little sad.  Lugging all the gear, empty hotel room, no one at the finish...  But I understand.  She would go if she could.  Mostly because she works weekends so she would have to take time off.

Agree with a lot of this. My husbands hobby is golf. I have no interest in following him around the golf course all day or trying to learn to play. He has his hobby, I have mine. We support each other by not bothering one another with the details .

I would not like racing all alone either though. I have only done that once and just didn't enjoy myself like I usually do. Now I stick to local races with lots of local friends I have met in the sport or if I plan destination races they are with friends.

If you ever race in central IL send me a PM!

2014-03-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Ditto to what a lot have said... my BF is a huge golfer with no interest in tri (except running). We do talk to each other about our hobbies, but not into the level of detail that goes on here. More like "how was your golf tournament?" "great, I lost a bet and tee'd off without my pants." or "how was your long ride?" "wind sucked the life out of me, I need a pizza and a nap." The End.

He has tried to explain golf details to me and I glaze over, much like he glazes over when I talk about race nutrition or aerodynamics. But we still make a big effort to support the other person.

2014-03-24 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Same here - I LOVE my husband and he is very supportive of me - he also doesn't question my spending or races but has been to only 2 in 6 years (my 1st and 1 while visiting family). He will ask about my training but I don't think I'll ever get him to buy into a destination race, or be at my first HIM this year but I know he'll be cheering me on!

It's not easy to come to terms with but once you do it's ok
2014-03-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: wwlani

User image

Regular
I went through this with my wife. She gets bored standing around for me to finish. So, I got her to volunteer at one of the races. She loved it. She got to meet lots of people and felt good handing water out to people.
God knows that men and women are different, but ask you spouse to volunteer. If he agrees maybe you can even get some perks from the race director. One time I got a free entry into a 5k.
2014-03-24 11:58 AM
in reply to: BigRun

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

question: do you express interest in his hobbies?

2014-03-24 12:05 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
not the OP bur for me yes - he LOVES going to Estate Sales and garage sales - I spend most Saturday if not Saturday and Sunday mornings driving him around (he likes to look at the houses, etc). Then train when we get home...so yes, for me!
2014-03-24 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
You're all so sweet. Thanks for the responses and helping me realize that I am not the only one. That's all I really need to hear because sometimes it seems like I am one in a million with this issue (mostly on race day). I did mean it sincerely when I said "it is what it is". I don't hold a grudge. Yes, it sucks and it's really something that I will never quite understand but we don't have marital problems over the issue. I don't expect him to go to every race or ask about training all the time. So it is what it is and that is ok.

Lately I've been thinking about doing more destination races. Not just a drive away but heading to another state or country for a HIM. These destination races/family vacation is still not of interest to him! Trust me, we've discussed it, he's not a traveler and I'm not going to beg. So I wonder sometimes do I sign up for a destination race that's on my bucket-list and GO FOR IT solo.. or continue with the local tri's and and have regrets later (I am getting old and may not have the body to do this in a few years! ) about not doing the races that I REALLY want to do because the family wont be there?

Thanks all!
2014-03-24 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by EV3110 You're all so sweet. Thanks for the responses and helping me realize that I am not the only one. That's all I really need to hear because sometimes it seems like I am one in a million with this issue (mostly on race day). I did mean it sincerely when I said "it is what it is". I don't hold a grudge. Yes, it sucks and it's really something that I will never quite understand but we don't have marital problems over the issue. I don't expect him to go to every race or ask about training all the time. So it is what it is and that is ok. Lately I've been thinking about doing more destination races. Not just a drive away but heading to another state or country for a HIM. These destination races/family vacation is still not of interest to him! Trust me, we've discussed it, he's not a traveler and I'm not going to beg. So I wonder sometimes do I sign up for a destination race that's on my bucket-list and GO FOR IT solo.. or continue with the local tri's and and have regrets later (I am getting old and may not have the body to do this in a few years! ) about not doing the races that I REALLY want to do because the family wont be there? Thanks all!

You live in CA... certainly you can find a tri club or a group of tri people you can hang out with! Find a tri club and go to a destination race with them! Good luck! 

2014-03-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Calgary
I have run the gambit with my spouse happy that I am active, to resenting the time I spent training and the one or two races I went to a year, to taking our newborn daughter to a race wearing an IM t-shirt, to really getting irritated with my training, to driving 2 hours with 2 kids just to see me for 5 minutes during a 100 mile ultra, to being happy my back is messed up so I will never run again and care not to bike, to being irritated I smell like pool all the time, to bugging me to start riding my bike again at the very least.

But yeah, join a club.

2014-03-24 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by wwlani

not the OP bur for me yes - he LOVES going to Estate Sales and garage sales - I spend most Saturday if not Saturday and Sunday mornings driving him around (he likes to look at the houses, etc). Then train when we get home...so yes, for me!

Oh..my..gawd... If I had to do that, I'd look around for an antique fork to STICK IN MY EYE!!!!

2014-03-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Pro

I will only become interested in my wife's horses if the economy crashes and we have to eat one of them.

She will only become interested in triathlon when hell freezes over.

It works fine.

2014-03-24 2:42 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Definitely check out the "Races" and also can post a thread on your state's forum to see if anyone is doing and/or wants to meet up.

I guess I'm lucky because I met my spouse on BT. I'm usually the one to complain...

2014-03-24 3:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by pitt83
Originally posted by wwlani not the OP bur for me yes - he LOVES going to Estate Sales and garage sales - I spend most Saturday if not Saturday and Sunday mornings driving him around (he likes to look at the houses, etc). Then train when we get home...so yes, for me!
Oh..my..gawd... If I had to do that, I'd look around for an antique fork to STICK IN MY EYE!!!!

THANK YOU--hilarious! 

2014-03-24 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by EV3110 You're all so sweet. Thanks for the responses and helping me realize that I am not the only one. That's all I really need to hear because sometimes it seems like I am one in a million with this issue (mostly on race day). I did mean it sincerely when I said "it is what it is". I don't hold a grudge. Yes, it sucks and it's really something that I will never quite understand but we don't have marital problems over the issue. I don't expect him to go to every race or ask about training all the time. So it is what it is and that is ok. Lately I've been thinking about doing more destination races. Not just a drive away but heading to another state or country for a HIM. These destination races/family vacation is still not of interest to him! Trust me, we've discussed it, he's not a traveler and I'm not going to beg. So I wonder sometimes do I sign up for a destination race that's on my bucket-list and GO FOR IT solo.. or continue with the local tri's and and have regrets later (I am getting old and may not have the body to do this in a few years! ) about not doing the races that I REALLY want to do because the family wont be there? Thanks all!

This!!!

Make a list of the races you want to do anywhere you want to do them and DO THEM!  I can't imagine regretting that

2014-03-24 3:24 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

This thread is so timely.  I'm in the category of a spouse that is "somewhat" involved in my triathlon life.  She's been to a few events.  Most recently IMAZ last year, but that was as much about the destination as it was the attempt at Ironman.  She's supportive in the time I need away to train, but she also requests that there is a line that does not get crossed: blowing off important family events, signing up for expensive races without discussing it, major gear purchases,etc.

My kids always ask me how my SBR was that day.  My wife, not so much.  She just wants to know how long I will be gone and what route I intend to take incase I'm gone a lot longer then planned.

She wants us to have soemthing we can do together.  I love golf and she wants to learn to play and that may end up being our "couple" thing in the future.  She likes to go for walks with the kids and I think of "Stabbing myself in the eye with an antique fork" as someone put it earlier.

Most of the time I'm doing races without the family but with some of my club buddies.  Then it's more of a team event and we are there to cheer each other on and compete with each other at the same time.

2014-03-24 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Don't knock it till you try it! I DON'T go into the creepy ones (like some old person died in the home) - but the ones that are more moving sales - usually very upscale homes - yup - Got a BEAUTIFUL Nordictrac treadmill - hardly used $400, and a complete gym set (I'll try and post a picture later) for $300 - I had it inspected after I reassembled to make sure it was done right and "safe" guy told me it retails for over 2 thousand.
2014-03-24 6:04 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Originally posted by switch

This!!!

Make a list of the races you want to do anywhere you want to do them and DO THEM!  I can't imagine regretting that

Have to right?!!
2014-03-24 6:06 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by pitt83
Originally posted by wwlani not the OP bur for me yes - he LOVES going to Estate Sales and garage sales - I spend most Saturday if not Saturday and Sunday mornings driving him around (he likes to look at the houses, etc). Then train when we get home...so yes, for me!

THANK YOU--hilarious! 

hahahaha!
2014-03-24 6:12 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Originally posted by KSH

You live in CA... certainly you can find a tri club or a group of tri people you can hang out with! Find a tri club and go to a destination race with them! Good luck! 

I live in a small town. No tri-clubs or groups...barely any athletes. lol. The friends that I started triathlons with do not do them anymore for various reasons- babies, just not into them, husbands didn't like them spending the time away... I did check out a new club starting up in the next town 35 min away but not enough interest so they are holding off till next season Bummer! A club/tri group would be perfect I agree.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Uninterested Spouse Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

The Spouse Store

Started by PollyC
Views: 600 Posts: 9

2007-01-18 8:15 PM TypeA Girl Pilot

How do your spouses handle your tri's?

Started by trifocus
Views: 1110 Posts: 22

2006-10-03 5:07 PM nuorder

Teachers, calling the BT teachers (or spouses)....

Started by Sassafras
Views: 1144 Posts: 12

2006-03-20 1:13 PM courtney_leone

Obey thy spouse? Pages: 1 2

Started by Grodi Jo
Views: 1694 Posts: 41

2006-02-19 7:52 PM triman50

kiss your spouse (or so) today

Started by autumn
Views: 1005 Posts: 13

2004-11-23 1:03 PM zagagirl