I have been penalized and it was legit8 Votes - [50%]
I have been penalized and it was bogus6 Votes - [37.5%]
I have been penalized and appealed sucessfully1 Votes - [6.25%]
I have been penalized and appealed unsucessfully1 Votes - [6.25%]

2014-04-04 10:18 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Cheating and Penalties
Following on from the Finman post below. How many BTers have actually fallen foul of the rules at a triathlon?

Considering the rule list is as long as it is and the scope for penalties, everything from wet suit thickness through to littering the run course, how many penalties are actually handed out.

I am going to a provincial Tri in June and wonder really how much checking will be done. How many bikes will get measured? How many relatives will pass drinks on course?

Do some race organizers have stricter reputations than others?

2014-04-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Cheating and Penalties

You forgot "I have cheated and not been caught".

2014-04-04 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by badmo77a

Following on from the Finman post below. How many BTers have actually fallen foul of the rules at a triathlon?

Considering the rule list is as long as it is and the scope for penalties, everything from wet suit thickness through to littering the run course, how many penalties are actually handed out.

I am going to a provincial Tri in June and wonder really how much checking will be done. How many bikes will get measured? How many relatives will pass drinks on course?

Do some race organizers have stricter reputations than others?

Ive received two penalties in my 40 races ever

Drafting: I simply zoned out and got caught drafting, was it intentional? No, was I at fault? yes

Race numbers: I failed to wear my race number on the run course (didn't wear it on the bike which was legal) and was given a 2 minute penalty. This was at a race that had lots of penalties given out.
2014-04-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got a penalty in my first triathlon ever - a sprint - because one side of my running bib number tore off and it was folded over so race officials couldn't see it. Legit based on rules but felt like bullchit at the time. I pin my race number to the belt now (in addition to snapping it in race belt.
2014-04-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

At Vineman several years ago, I had a four minute penalty added to my time for drafting.  Never had it indicated to me on the course and I could not think of any place where it could have occurred.  They did not have penalty tents so didn't even know until I saw the official times posted.  I just shrugged it off as it was a great day for me and a few minutes could in no way alter that.

2014-04-04 12:16 PM

User image

None of the above.

2014-04-04 12:16 PM

User image

We have a local official who likes to hand out drafting penalties. I saw her chewinv out a paceline that flew past me last year and was glad to see it.
2014-04-04 2:05 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

In the U.S., if it is a USAT sanctioned race with USAT officials present the likelihood is greater.  If its a non-sanctioned event the likelihood may be low or close to nil.  What does Canada have for a governing body and are there many non-sanctioned events?

2014-04-04 2:52 PM

User image

I dropped a water bottle on the bike leg of my first half-iron. It was a lonely course and I was all by myself. I slowed down with the intention to pick it up but then realized that not only was it not in anyone's way I couldn't see it and didn't know where it had gone. So I just kept on going. I wasn't caught.
2014-04-04 5:34 PM

User image

Master
I received a 2 minute penalty several years ago for equipment out of position (or something like that). I was out of the water early and threw my wetsuit under the rack. At the end of the race I found my wetsuit halfway between my transition area and the bike start. I imagine it was stuck to someone's bike as they were transitioning and they just left it there. I was penalized and lost an AG podium spot. I thought it was bogus. At least I didn't loose my wetsuit.

A friend of mine was leaving T-1 and a water bottle ejected as he was about to mount. A spectator picked it up and handed it to him. It cost him 2 minutes for outside assistance. I think that was a little bogus also.
2014-04-04 5:59 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've never been penalized although I have technically broken rules before in situations where it was unavoidable.  For example, I once had someone pass me on a hill and as soon as they got past my front wheel I started to drop back as I am supposed to but they came almost to a complete stop and it was physically impossible for me to completely back out of the draft zone before repassing (I suppose I could have stopped and gone backwards....?.)

At our local races, there is very little in the way of rule monitoring outside of the transition area.  Never anyone out on the course watching for drafting.

2014-04-04 6:47 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
They do monitor quite closely for drafting in major races here (Asia, mainly Singapore, plus races sponsored by outside organizers here in Vietnam--we won't discuss the local race scene, which is mostly loosey-goosey "adventure races" and charity run/walks). Never gotten a penalty but have seen others get them. Came close last weekend because a young woman kept blowing past me at maybe 33-34 kph (when I was riding 30-31 kph) and then immediately slowing down to 27-28 kph. I had to slow down to under 26 to get out of her draft zone, so I would re-pass her, over and over and over. She just wouldn't stop doing it. Finally, seeing officials up ahead, I said, "If you pass, you can't slow down like that, or we'll both end up with a penalty." She said, "Huh?" (Singaporean, language not the issue) so I passed again and helpfully let loose a few snot rockets to reinforce the point. She didn't come by after that. She was maybe 19 or 20--guessing it might have been her first tri (poor child!) and she didn't really understanding about penalties, just wanted to get ahead but didn't quite have the fitness to do it.
2014-04-04 8:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Never observed a TD measuring bikes like at a UCI race. However I have seen strict enforcement of wetsuit cutoffs. IE water is too warm there is no such thing as wetsuit optional like there is in the USA

I had a stop and go draft penalty once.

Edited by simpsonbo 2014-04-04 8:05 PM
2014-04-04 9:48 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Where's the "I haven't cheated" choice?
2014-04-04 9:55 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Danno77 Where's the "I haven't cheated" choice?

Over in the Liar's Forum.

2014-04-04 10:00 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Left Brain

You forgot "I have cheated and not been caught".

i have littered during the race and should have been penalized

2014-04-05 11:15 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
In my first IM I was pretty slow on the bike. This was a fast race and the real race was miles ahead of me. I really couldn't see anyone, except for one cyclist, for miles in front of or behind me. I slowly came up on the other cyclist. As I got closer and closer I decided to "legally draft," leaving 10 meters between us but using the legal benefit of him being in front of me (I had read an article where Macca had talked about the benefit of this and suddenly decided I was a pro triathlete ). I wasn't there for 30 seconds when a marshal, out of nowhere, pulled up next to me and gave me a red card for drafting. I didn't 'think' I was drafting but he did and that's what counts. Not another two cyclists to be seen. The next penalty tent was at T2 so I had to sit there in the tent of shame for four minutes. I was more irritated at myself than anything else. I am glad that they are officiating, even at the back of these races,

If you do WTC races it is incredibly difficult not to draft. I wrote in my race report about IMAZ that I expended more energy trying not to draft than I would if I had just gone out and hammered the bike for the first hour.
2014-04-07 7:48 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Birkierunner

In the U.S., if it is a USAT sanctioned race with USAT officials present the likelihood is greater.  If its a non-sanctioned event the likelihood may be low or close to nil.  What does Canada have for a governing body and are there many non-sanctioned events?

The body here local to me is Triathlon Ontario and both of the big series run here (multisportcanada and trisportcanada) require TO membership or one day fees. Not aware of any non-sanctioned events but there must be some.

The event I went to last autumn seemed to have some good coverage around the mount/dismount line but that was it. Will get a better picture of it this summer.
2014-04-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Triathlon Canada delegates it to your PGB (provincial governing body) unless its a national race. Not much unsanctioned racing. We have lots of ITU officials here due to us hosting umpteen world cups so they are decent. If the water is too warm no wetsuit rules are upheld too.
2014-04-07 9:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I was in an oly event 4 years ago that also had a sprint event. I was one of the later Olympic age groups to go, when it got to the bike coarse the Olympics did 2 laps and sprints did 1. the last 1 1/2 is a narrow road down to transition and I had a pack of people in the sprint event blocking my way, despite the calls (on your left, keep right, get the hell out of my way!) they would not move, so I went around well past that yellow line. I got a 2 minute penalty for it, I just hope that the 4 other rider got penalties for blocking.
2014-04-07 10:07 AM
in reply to: mike761

Veteran
Minnesota
I have not followed some of the rules at one time or another, mostly minor. Never been penalized.

I have passed on the right, keeping my line and passing a group who was left.
I have dropped a GU packet and not gone back for it on the bike.
I have crossed the center line when passing on the left when there was a big slow group ahead of me.

I did get talked to by the race director about drafting on the bike at a small race.. It was my second triathlon and I had been watching a lot of ITU triathlons, so had an understanding that there ware draft legal races. My buddy caught up to me within the first mile of the bike. He asked if we could draft (his first tri). There was nothing about it on the website, entry, or pre-race meeting so we decided to go for it. About a mile later we passed 3 guys wearing matching bike jerseys who were not drafting. When I noticed this I told my buddy since they weren't drafting, we probably shouldn't either and each rode our own pace.

At the finish line the RD asked us how we liked like the raced and we chated before he brought up the drafting. He said the 3 guys had reported us, said we "compromised the results", and "take things like that very seriously". We admitted to drafting and appologized, explained they were the only ones we passed in the mile we drafted, were new to tris, and that we didn't see or anything about drafting in the race rules, but were okay with any penalty he wanted to give. He checked the race results and it only would have affected one guy and he didn't care Of course when my buddy saw the 3 guys were giving us dirty looks as the RD talked with us he had to point out that we were probably about 5 mph faster on the bike, even faster on the run, and that even with a bunch of penalites we still would hve beat them. He laughed and thanked us for racing.

2014-04-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

No penalties

Had a spectator hand me my shoe that came off bike when dismouting so I guess that could've been callled. 

2014-04-07 10:17 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by popsracer

At Vineman several years ago, I had a four minute penalty added to my time for drafting.  Never had it indicated to me on the course and I could not think of any place where it could have occurred.  They did not have penalty tents so didn't even know until I saw the official times posted.  I just shrugged it off as it was a great day for me and a few minutes could in no way alter that.

x2, but at a local OLY. Only penalty I've ever had and to this day have no idea when it occurred.
2014-04-08 7:29 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by cwpeters

x2, but at a local OLY. Only penalty I've ever had and to this day have no idea when it occurred.

Did you think to ask? USAT officials are required to hang around until the awards ceremony to address questions concerning assessed penalties.

2014-04-08 6:53 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by the bear

Originally posted by cwpeters

Did you think to ask? USAT officials are required to hang around until the awards ceremony to address questions concerning assessed penalties.

I would have if the results and penalty were posted at the race, unfortunately there was quite the SNAFU and results were delayed. The 2 minutes didn't hurt because we were the only mixed relay in the OLY. Just wish I knew what I did wrong.

On a separate note, do you know anything about the Bridgeman Duathlon? I'll hopefully be in NOLA that week and am thinking about signing up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheating and Penalties Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Penalty Code...anyone know what this penalty is for???

Started by miami9296
Views: 1846 Posts: 12

2010-08-13 1:46 PM miami9296

ever receive a penalty at a race? Pages: 1 2

Started by jo-tris
Views: 2223 Posts: 35

2006-11-04 1:10 PM chirunner134

Drafting -- Cheating vs. Illegal with Penalty

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1401 Posts: 15

2006-11-02 4:58 PM chirunner134

Penalty question...

Started by The Mac
Views: 540 Posts: 3

2006-06-26 8:56 AM Daremo

Bike Drafting Penalties

Started by Fire2Ice
Views: 980 Posts: 7

2004-12-13 1:48 PM Peanut
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 0
If you are going to do a triathlon, you need to know at least some of the basic rules that can keep you from getting hurt or hurting someone else.