Subject: RE: Kona elitism.

Originally posted by Danno77
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Sidney Porter

The difference is that the ITU guys can train up for the distance.....the IM guys can't train up for speed.  Down the road it will be ex ITU guys who own everything.  Watch and see.  It's a simple formula.

I'm gonna one up you with the awesome logic that's been applied above. Kona is not a real world championship because there are at least 5 people in the world that have never done a triathlon, but have spectacular genetics and if they ever start training then they will surely beat the pants off of any of the current top racers. So there, i thumb my nose at your ICU speculation garbage and say that even those guys aren't the "best" in the world because of some russian farmer that just hasn't trained yet is really the best. Just wait until he starts training.

Not true, it's too late for your Russian farmer.  The body's pathways needed for real speed are built early in life, and it passed him by.

I will say this to your point.  There are LOTS of young people who carry the genetics to be really fast triathletes, but they'll never get the chance because it's too expensive for them to play. 

ETA - don't worry about me getting sideways with comments.....I enjoy the discussion.

You could say this about every sport. People that grew up in warm climates were never exposed to winter sports. I would be willing to say that the best male volleyball players are playing in the NBA. I can't say that someone is really the "best" just because they had the genetic potential.
And THAT is my point regarding all the ICU are the best crap. They have NOT trained for it, they clearly have genetic potential, no doubt, but like my Russian Farmer (funding excluded) unless they train for the competition it's all just armchair conjecture. SO, Even if you win Kona two years from now, you can't say "Remember when I was dropping awesome 70.3 times in 2014? and you won Kona that year? Yeah, I was really better than you I just wasn't racing 140.6s."

Dude - people come along and break sportiong records all the time......so yeah, they were better but just not there yet.  Triathlon is so young and there never has been a wave of really young, fast, triathletes like the one that is coming.  Gomex, Brownlee, etc. are just the beginning of the flood.   I easily remember the day when a 15-19 year old kid had ZERO chance of winning even a local triathlon.....it was basically unheard of.   If one of these kids from any of a dozen High Performance youth teams shows up at your race it's over.

I was a duathlon this weekend.....the top FIVE women overall were 13-16 years old.  All of them from the same youth team.  That's a new trend.....and it's growing and growing.

I'm sorry that you haven't been exposed to more of this type of racing......it's not crap.  ITU triathlon contains the best triathletes in the world....and a stampede is coming.

No, I'm not saying it's crap, I'm saying that the concept that you are faster at a 140.6 just because you are fast at a 70.3 is crap. Breaking records is awesome, I get it, but you are only as fast as you are today. You cannot say you were the best before you are the best. This doesn't even address all the stuff that can happen to an athlete. Too many variables. all a win says is who is the best on the day of the race, who is injury free, who's bike had no issues, etc.

I see you went to zed's school of circular ninjaism. LMAO

2014-04-08 9:50 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Marvarnett
Originally posted by Left Brain What you should have said is that everyone on the pointy end of IM would get their arse handed to them at the Olympic distance ITU level.  It will always be that way.....the only difference will be the speed that is carried over to IM distance by athletes who were grown at the ITU level.  If you didn't build your engine there you will be sucking wind.  The future of all fast triathlon is in ITU racing.

You mean the future of all fast triathlon HAS ALWAYS been ITU Racing. I believe all of the IM greats had their start in ITU. It's no different.

Really?  Dave Scott?  Scott Tinley? Mark Allen?  ITU guys?

Crowie, yeah, but the influx of ITU racers is really just starting.....I'd argue that Crowie was ahead of his time, and look what he's done.

here, this is a fun read:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/09/news/dave-scott-chats-from-events-dc-nations-triathlon_83593

Macca was ahead of Crowie as far as making the leap from dominating ITU to long course.  Hence why he made an effort to go back to ITU...and we all know how that went.  But kudos to Macca anyway.  Not many 39 year olds that can even hang in ITU to begin with.

2014-04-08 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

Not really circular. Spiraling. And usually in a downhill spiral.
2014-04-08 9:55 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Left Brain What you should have said is that everyone on the pointy end of IM would get their arse handed to them at the Olympic distance ITU level.  It will always be that way.....the only difference will be the speed that is carried over to IM distance by athletes who were grown at the ITU level.  If you didn't build your engine there you will be sucking wind.  The future of all fast triathlon is in ITU racing.

You mean the future of all fast triathlon HAS ALWAYS been ITU Racing. I believe all of the IM greats had their start in ITU. It's no different.

Crowie, yeah, but the influx of ITU racers is really just starting.....I'd argue that Crowie was ahead of his time, and look what he's done.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/09/news/dave-scott-chats-from-events-dc-nations-triathlon_83593

Macca was ahead of Crowie as far as making the leap from dominating ITU to long course.  Hence why he made an effort to go back to ITU...and we all know how that went.  But kudos to Macca anyway.  Not many 39 year olds that can even hang in ITU to begin with.

Sure, and he deserves to be mentioned....I was going off the article.  Macca actually took the time to spend about 30 minutes with my son, one on one. after his Hy-vee race in Des Moines 2 years ago.  Just a great guy!!

2014-04-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro

Not really circular. Spiraling. And usually in a downhill spiral.

HA!!!

2014-04-08 11:18 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

In general...the people who think the cream of the crop is racing WTC...haven't watched ITU racing.  I was one of them when I first got into the sport and only knew about Kona.  Do yourself a favor and watch the ITU World Cup circuit.  It just started in Auckland this past weekend.  Amazing stuff. 

YEP!

But, but ITU guys don't know how to bike, they just draft!

Oh wait Frodeno has been killing 70.3's and just started last August. Can anyone fill me in how the Brownlees did in Abu Dhabi? Curious to know how Javier Gomez does in long course, oh thats right he pretty much destroyed the field in Barcelona last year, and Panama this year, wonder who was second....oh yeah another ITU guy! Think all these guys are biking faster and then running away from everyone. Ivan Rana anyone? Anyone? Think he won Cozumel in his debut then backed it up with a 6th in Kona, but of course he is only one of the world best once he races Kona, never make that assumption before (rolls eyes)

But no one knows about these people until they do IRONMAN!

Side note: People complain about Ironman's live coverage al the time, no live feed, no accurate splits, bad coverage, blah, blah, blah....its an 8 hour race and people tune in?

In ITU it's under 2 hours, they give you an HD feed with multiple cameras, great commentary, fast paced, live splits, etc. Yeah it costs about $30 bucks for 16 races but well worth it.

2014-04-08 11:23 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

In general...the people who think the cream of the crop is racing WTC...haven't watched ITU racing.  I was one of them when I first got into the sport and only knew about Kona.  Do yourself a favor and watch the ITU World Cup circuit.  It just started in Auckland this past weekend.  Amazing stuff. 

YEP! But, but ITU guys don't know how to bike, they just draft! Oh wait Frodeno has been killing 70.3's and just started last August. Can anyone fill me in how the Brownlees did in Abu Dhabi? Curious to know how Javier Gomez does in long course, oh thats right he pretty much destroyed the field in Barcelona last year, and Panama this year, wonder who was second....oh yeah another ITU guy! Think all these guys are biking faster and then running away from everyone. Ivan Rana anyone? Anyone? Think he won Cozumel in his debut then backed it up with a 6th in Kona, but of course he is only one of the world best once he races Kona, never make that assumption before (rolls eyes) But no one knows about these people until they do IRONMAN! Side note: People complain about Ironman's live coverage al the time, no live feed, no accurate splits, bad coverage, blah, blah, blah....its an 8 hour race and people tune in? In ITU it's under 2 hours, they give you an HD feed with multiple cameras, great commentary, fast paced, live splits, etc. Yeah it costs about $30 bucks for 16 races but well worth it.

Dude....this is America.  People who do triathlon here don't really care about the sport or about following the sport.  They care about themselves

The end.

2014-04-08 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Sure, and he deserves to be mentioned....I was going off the article.  Macca actually took the time to spend about 30 minutes with my son, one on one. after his Hy-vee race in Des Moines 2 years ago.  Just a great guy!!

Met him at TriStar in Minneapolis a few years ago, awesome guy went for a ride after the race if he has time he will share it with you. Met him in Kona this past year again, the stories that man has from his career are epic to say the least, his passion for this sport is amazing too. I seriously respect anyone that will give up a solidified future to take the risk he did when he moved to Europe. I feel he is often misunderstood by many.
2014-04-08 11:45 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

New user

Originally posted by sheesleeva I clicked on the study link which "evidences "that a large number of triathletes dope. There's no evidence, and I am aware of a lot of age groupers doping – people who take more than 14 hours to finish an IM. at the end of the day, protect the people who dope are not differentiated by finishing times, it's mentality. I choose to believe the sport is pretty clean. if people working full-time jobs, with limited funds and no coach can manage to do sub 12 hours, it's not so far-fetched that a pro is only a couple hours better - sans doping. regarding elitism - if you get in the allottery and you felt that there was elitism and snobs, make sure and take that person's number and as you see them on the course yell "that's right mofo lottery and I still am close enough to see you! lot-to-ry!"

love that. thanks! 

2014-04-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: missyw2you

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by missyw2you

Originally posted by sheesleeva I clicked on the study link which "evidences "that a large number of triathletes dope. There's no evidence, and I am aware of a lot of age groupers doping – people who take more than 14 hours to finish an IM. at the end of the day, protect the people who dope are not differentiated by finishing times, it's mentality. I choose to believe the sport is pretty clean. if people working full-time jobs, with limited funds and no coach can manage to do sub 12 hours, it's not so far-fetched that a pro is only a couple hours better - sans doping. regarding elitism - if you get in the allottery and you felt that there was elitism and snobs, make sure and take that person's number and as you see them on the course yell "that's right mofo lottery and I still am close enough to see you! lot-to-ry!"

love that. thanks! 

iIf you have the time, energy, and desire to do this during your ironman at kona, you're doing it wrong.

2014-04-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by dmiller5

love that. thanks! 

iIf you have the time, energy, and desire to do this during your ironman at kona, you're doing it wrong.

Maybe you are doing it right. I always said if I got a chance to run Boston I would slow down to make sure I finished. Experience and finishing for both of those races are way more important to me than any finishing time would be.

When I got to run Boston (non qualifier) I ended up with a PR. Maybe I am not the best one to say anything.

I like the lottery. Gives everyone who is big into this a chance to experience it. I rather see the tv spots go before the lottery does. I never like any sport where they cut away to show video that is not apart of the race.

2014-04-08 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4977674

User image

New user
I agree that I would like to see more race coverage during the televised event, but I understand that it's a long day and would lose a lot of view attention otherwise.

I would never be smug to another althete, especially in a way that boasts the lottery. I just don't like the opposite, being demeaned as an athlete because I would be there on a lottery slot. I did like the idea behind the statement in the fact that if I am there, that should be all that matters, be confident and enjoy the experience.
2014-04-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: missyw2you

I agree that I would like to see more race coverage during the televised event, but I understand that it's a long day and would lose a lot of view attention otherwise.

I would never be smug to another althete, especially in a way that boasts the lottery. I just don't like the opposite, being demeaned as an athlete because I would be there on a lottery slot. I did like the idea behind the statement in the fact that if I am there, that should be all that matters, be confident and enjoy the experience.

In terms of being smug, just because someone qualifies, that doesn't mean they'll be fast on race day. Folks can qualify 10-12 months ahead of time, for example at IMFL in November for the next year's Kona race, so there's no saying they won't be couch potatoes once they qualify for the next 6 months and do only half-a$$ training for Kona. While a lottery person may really train well and get a great time at Kona.

So, my point is this, qualifiers and lottery winners are both on the same start line and you have the same 17 hours to finish. Everybody has a story how they got there, but once the race starts, does it really matter anymore? No.

2014-04-08 3:12 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
Alabama
That subject line is accurate. The people are Kona are the elite athletes in this sport!

They do the lotter to for the drama....becasue you are not gonna have many (is any) 16:59 finishers crawling in agony across the finish line as the sob uncontrollably who actually qualified to get there.

I wish they would have a second Kona race for the mortals (non elites).
2014-04-08 3:18 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

love that. thanks! 

Lighten up, Francis?

2014-04-08 3:29 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio That subject line is accurate. The people are Kona are the elite athletes in this sport! They do the lotter to for the drama....becasue you are not gonna have many (is any) 16:59 finishers crawling in agony across the finish line as the sob uncontrollably who actually qualified to get there. I wish they would have a second Kona race for the mortals (non elites).

Honu 70.3 is a pretty good compromise.  You still get an awesome swim...you experience the fun parts of the bike course...without getting sick and tired of watching lava fields for an additional 3-4 hours, and you can complete the run without having to run in the pitch black.

2014-04-09 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The difference is that the ITU guys can train up for the distance.....the IM guys can't train up for speed.  Down the road it will be ex ITU guys who own everything.  Watch and see.  It's a simple formula.

Pretty much this.  If A. Brownlee, J. Brownlee and J. Gomez set their sights on Kona this year I'd give even money odds they would finish 1,2,3.  I'd also give even money odds A. Brownlee would win.  Look at Macca.  He came from that ITU background and eventually switched to long course and did quite well.  He went back to ITU style in 2012 and got absolutely schooled.  He looked old and slow.  The ITU elite are on a different level than the top of the food chain IM guys, who tend to be older and slower.  Fast to slow is a lot easier to pull off than slow to fast.  Put the Kona Champ (Frederik Van Lierde) in a stacked ITU field and he would get annihilated.

We're starting to see the two worlds collide so things could be interesting over the next few years.

2014-04-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Pretty much this.  If A. Brownlee, J. Brownlee and J. Gomez set their sights on Kona this year I'd give even money odds they would finish 1,2,3.  I'd also give even money odds A. Brownlee would win.  Look at Macca.  He came from that ITU background and eventually switched to long course and did quite well.  He went back to ITU style in 2012 and got absolutely schooled.  He looked old and slow.  The ITU elite are on a different level than the top of the food chain IM guys, who tend to be older and slower.  Fast to slow is a lot easier to pull off than slow to fast.  Put the Kona Champ (Frederik Van Lierde) in a stacked ITU field and he would get annihilated.

We're starting to see the two worlds collide so things could be interesting over the next few years.

To be fair he was old and slow...  I think a better comparison would be a young IM athlete trying to switch to ITU. We all know the speed goes and the endurance stays/improves with age.

2014-04-09 12:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by eabeam I can't think of many sports where recreational athletes are able to compete in the same events with the pro's... or even the competitive elite. Off of the top of my head, I think of Tri, Marathon, poker, and jiu-jitsu/grappling tournaments.  

Cycling. Women for sure. Often there is just one women's field. Open women which includes pros and could include category 4 women who possibly could have just bought a license the day before. For men, my SO is cat 2 with a full time job and is definitely a recreational athlete, but he competes in the pro/1/2 field all the time. He got to race Horner previously.

Edited by jeng 2014-04-09 12:57 PM
2014-04-09 1:10 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

In terms of being smug, just because someone qualifies, that doesn't mean they'll be fast on race day. Folks can qualify 10-12 months ahead of time, for example at IMFL in November for the next year's Kona race, so there's no saying they won't be couch potatoes once they qualify for the next 6 months and do only half-a$$ training for Kona. While a lottery person may really train well and get a great time at Kona.

So, my point is this, qualifiers and lottery winners are both on the same start line and you have the same 17 hours to finish. Everybody has a story how they got there, but once the race starts, does it really matter anymore? No.

11:07:11 for this lottery guy, a little over three hours behind Crowie on that day. I 'think' I beat about 40% of my AG (who knows how many of them were there via routes other than qualifying?) I've got to toot my own horn every once in awhile. After all, I am a triathlete.....

It was fun. I worked hard. It isn't a "World Championship." It is a really cool (and tiring) day of racing at a classic venue against many of the faster triathletes in the world. I'm glad that the everyman (or woman) has a slim little chance at racing here.
2014-04-09 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

To be fair he was old and slow...  I think a better comparison would be a young IM athlete trying to switch to ITU. We all know the speed goes and the endurance stays/improves with age.

He was less than a year from winning Kona when he started the ITU quest.  He wasn't that old and slow. 

2014-04-09 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

He was less than a year from winning Kona when he started the ITU quest.  He wasn't that old and slow. 

You don't have to be fast for IM. Just slow for a long time.

2014-04-09 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Pretty sure Gomez will be dominate when he moves up. I am curious about the Brownlees, no question they have the engine and ability, but the question is will they run themselves into the ground before going after Kona (if they decide to do so). They have had some injuries in the past, and have been known to push the envelope in training some, will be curious to see how they do. Not all ITU greats do great in Kona, but many do.
2014-04-09 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Remember the other thing about the lottery is it is such a money maker.

according to http://www.runtri.com/2011/11/ironman-kona-hawaii-2012-lottery-entr... they figure 8k+.

If we figure 8000 people at $50 each they get $400,000 from people entering the lottery. 1900 people starting the staring line and if they paid $1000 each to go into it they bring in $1,900,000 for the race. While race brings in more money. The $400,000 is nothing to laugh at . It is almost free money and how many people sign up for a 70.3 just in case they win a spot?

So yeah they will keep the lottery. .

2014-04-09 2:08 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
Originally posted by lisac957

love that. thanks! 

Lighten up, Francis?

ha! if I have the time and energy to take numbers and have a laugh while on the lava fields, I'm doing it completely right.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona elitism. Rss Feed  

of 7