2014-04-13 1:10 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: WHAT DID I DO?????
omg

The Boston Marathon is 8 days away.

What was I thinking????

How can I possibly run that far????? and survive?

taper madness has hit hard

please tell me I will survive this - should have stuck with my never mantra....

2014-04-13 1:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: WHAT DID I DO?????
I love the taper period.......

Edited by japarker24 2014-04-13 1:28 PM
2014-04-13 4:42 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by japarker24

I love the taper period.......

this sucks
I am truly in panic mode
2014-04-13 4:49 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

...How can I possibly run that far????? and survive?....

Umm, don't you have to QUALIFY for Boston?  Which means you would have already done the distance, and with a better than average time?

2014-04-13 5:09 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by faded_memories

...How can I possibly run that far????? and survive?....

Umm, don't you have to QUALIFY for Boston?  Which means you would have already done the distance, and with a better than average time?

charity bib
raising money for the American Liver Foundation:
Please support me in Run for Research 2014 American Liver Foundation http://shar.es/DxZva Please consider donating, every dollar counts

first marathon

Edited by TriToy 2014-04-13 5:09 PM
2014-04-13 5:32 PM

User image

As my training partner said to me one day when her and I were at lunch and I was panicking about my first upcoming marathon: "What's the worst that can happen, you have to walk some of it?"....OMG...put me totally at ease! She was completely right and it totally lifted the pressure off of me. Just relax and try to enjoy it! You'll finish, one way or the other, just pace yourself, have fun, run YOUR race!

2014-04-13 7:19 PM
in reply to: Shaggy101

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I suppose I am not above crawling if necessary
2014-04-13 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4980857

New user
The Woodlands, TX
You are fortunate enough to be participating the the most significant Boston Marathon in recent memory. You will do just fine. Get caught up in the moment. The pain you will have following the race is nothing compared to the pain of last year. Enjoy the moment. Honor the fallen. And, be Boston Strong.
2014-04-13 9:47 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by TriToy
Originally posted by japarker24 I love the taper period.......
this sucks I am truly in panic mode

HAHAHAHA

I call it getting the willies out BEFORE the race so you'll have a super race.

Do what you do best. Get out there, be awesome, have fun, revel in it.

2014-04-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Embrace it and enjoy it. The crowds are amazing and I imagine it will be extra special this year. Interact with the crowd, high 5 the kids, kiss some lovely ladies at Wellesley aka the scream tunnel, you will hear them 1/2 mile before you get there, drink a beer with the frat boys at Bston College after heartbreak hill, and enjoy the incredible energy the last 1/2 mile as it seem the whole city of Boston is cheering for you. Most of all enjoy the day, you do not have to set any speed records, just have fun and finish. It is the best marathon in the world.

I will be there running as well.
2014-04-13 10:22 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by navbtcret Embrace it and enjoy it. The crowds are amazing and I imagine it will be extra special this year. Interact with the crowd, high 5 the kids, kiss some lovely ladies at Wellesley aka the scream tunnel, you will hear them 1/2 mile before you get there, drink a beer with the frat boys at Bston College after heartbreak hill, and enjoy the incredible energy the last 1/2 mile as it seem the whole city of Boston is cheering for you. Most of all enjoy the day, you do not have to set any speed records, just have fun and finish. It is the best marathon in the world. I will be there running as well.

Great advice Ron.  Someday when I get there I'll do it just as you describe.

Best of luck to all there.  It is going to be something special.

2014-04-14 5:27 AM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by navbtcret

Embrace it and enjoy it. The crowds are amazing and I imagine it will be extra special this year. Interact with the crowd, high 5 the kids, kiss some lovely ladies at Wellesley aka the scream tunnel, you will hear them 1/2 mile before you get there, drink a beer with the frat boys at Bston College after heartbreak hill, and enjoy the incredible energy the last 1/2 mile as it seem the whole city of Boston is cheering for you. Most of all enjoy the day, you do not have to set any speed records, just have fun and finish. It is the best marathon in the world.

that is what I have been telling myself all along somehow now in taper mode it escaped -

indeed getting the willies out - I like that

I have to remember the work is done. each step is one step closer
2014-04-14 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by navbtcret Embrace it and enjoy it. The crowds are amazing and I imagine it will be extra special this year. Interact with the crowd, high 5 the kids, kiss some lovely ladies at Wellesley aka the scream tunnel, you will hear them 1/2 mile before you get there, drink a beer with the frat boys at Bston College after heartbreak hill, and enjoy the incredible energy the last 1/2 mile as it seem the whole city of Boston is cheering for you. Most of all enjoy the day, you do not have to set any speed records, just have fun and finish. It is the best marathon in the world. I will be there running as well.
that is what I have been telling myself all along somehow now in taper mode it escaped - indeed getting the willies out - I like that I have to remember the work is done. each step is one step closer

Exactly the hard part is done.  Enjoy the day and the experience.  The worst that will happen is you will walk some and I suspect this is going to be a very special race this year.

2014-04-14 10:11 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
New York, NY
oh I agree I think this year will be very emotional and very special
twice the number of spectators are expected and last year was the motivation for my doing this

but taper madness has definitely got a grip on me holy carp!
2014-04-14 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by navbtcret

that is what I have been telling myself all along somehow now in taper mode it escaped -

indeed getting the willies out - I like that

I have to remember the work is done. each step is one step closer

Come on now. You have met me and look I have done it. If I can do it you can too. The key to a marathon is like ever other race. Just relax and follow your game plan. Do not be afraid to slow down your not going to win the race anyways and either way you are going to set a PR.

Just remember with Boston its easy to go out way to fast at the start since its a lot of down hill.

You have done a HIM right? Well that is harder than a marathon.
2014-04-14 3:06 PM

User image

New user
you got this. piece of cake.

2014-04-14 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by japarker24 I love the taper period.......
this sucks I am truly in panic mode

Is it wrong to see others suffering through taper week?  This post made me laugh but brings back horrible memories of HIM and IM taper craziness. 

Enjoy the experience.  It should be incredible.

Oh, and I think about 50,000,000 people will be watching it on TV and online across the world.  (sorry to add to the taper crazy syndrome)

2014-04-14 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
omg
The Boston Marathon is 8 days away.
What was I thinking????
How can I possibly run that far????? and survive?
taper madness has hit hard
please tell me I will survive this - should have stuck with my never mantra....

Taper madness is fun. It really gets fun on Thursday. Friday is great because it's carbo-load night, and Saturday is "box of cereal for breakfast" day. Saturday night is neurotic "did I remember everything?!?!?!" but once you head out, it's all smiles until mile 20. At mile 20, well, you've only got 10k to go, so might as well finish.

You'll do fine. It's going to hurt more than you know, but you will finish it. You've trained for it, you've earned it, now finish it.

The cathartic release at the end -- after once you cross the finish line, after you get your medal, after you get your picture taken, after you've started sipping your recovery drink, with a thermal drape over your shoulders -- that moment in time when you meet with your family and finally, blessedly, gloriously *stop* - that moment is etched in my memory indelibly, perfectly, forever, second only to seeing my wife for the first time on my wedding day.
2014-04-15 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
As one of my old coaches used to say, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." I survived my first marathon (actually, won it, but that's another story) as a 14 year old idiot who hadn't trained properly for it, had no clue about pacing, relied on the occasional swig of Gatorade for nutrition, and thought a watch or any kind of pre-race plan was an unnecessary bother. If I could finish, so can you, a presumably sensible and reasonably trained adult. Other advice for the heebie-jeebies--

*DON'T view the course in a car. It will look really, really long. It actually seems shorter to just run it.
*Think of it as a 10 mile run, then another 10 mile run, and then a 10K (okay, a pretty sucky 10K, but it's still just 10K). That's just three normal workouts, right? Or as a modest hike of 3-5 hours, but you're running/jogging instead of walking. Or as a 3-5 hour sightseeing tour of Boston. You just happen to be running/jogging. (The latter concept got my friend's 9-year-old son through a half marathon at Angkor Wat after he was determined to do it with Mom, petitioned his way in, trained for it, then freaked out at the start.)
*Don't start too fast. Unless you're in it to win it or run a PB, there's no such thing as starting too slow.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-04-15 7:45 AM
2014-04-15 12:45 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Glad to be the source of amusement for those who have been through this.
I don't recall feeling this way before HIM - though I was undertrained for all but one...that could be why lol

I have been eating like a horse - gained 5 pounds! that needs to stop NOW suddenly I am hefty!
2014-04-15 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4980857

User image

You can do it - me and my crew will be at mile 24 - near the temple - cheering you on!

2014-04-15 3:30 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Shaggy101 As my training partner said to me one day when her and I were at lunch and I was panicking about my first upcoming marathon: "What's the worst that can happen, you have to walk some of it?"....OMG...put me totally at ease! She was completely right and it totally lifted the pressure off of me. Just relax and try to enjoy it! You'll finish, one way or the other, just pace yourself, have fun, run YOUR race!

Haha. All I thought of was this:

E-card for runners(warning: there's a curse word on the e-card)

If you don't' want to click - the clean version is "Good luck not hitting the wall and pooping your pants in public"

You'll have fun, you'll suffer, you'll get tired, you'll want to do it again! 

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2014-04-15 3:31 PM
2014-04-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by Clarkey77

You can do it - me and my crew will be at mile 24 - near the temple - cheering you on!

on Kent and Beacon?? I used to live a block from there.

Love the ecard - awesome
2014-04-16 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
You're going to do great, it looks like your training has been good and you've gotten your long runs in. If ever there was a race and a crowd that could pump up a runner and get them through a bit of suffering, this will be it.

Run a smart race, stick to your race plan and enjoy the moment! If you haven't already, do a search for Boston specific race execution strategies, lots of good info out there, especially about how easy it is with the initial downhills to go out too fast.

I'll be out there running as well, it's going to be awesome.
2014-04-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: Climbinggonzo

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Climbinggonzo You're going to do great, it looks like your training has been good and you've gotten your long runs in. If ever there was a race and a crowd that could pump up a runner and get them through a bit of suffering, this will be it. Run a smart race, stick to your race plan and enjoy the moment! If you haven't already, do a search for Boston specific race execution strategies, lots of good info out there, especially about how easy it is with the initial downhills to go out too fast. I'll be out there running as well, it's going to be awesome.

I'm bolding and repeating this because it bears repeating. The roads start out narrrow and everybody is so amped up that there is a perfect storm of momentum to speed you down those hills and trash your quads.  The first time I ran it, I did not listen to this advice enough and I ended up crawling, yes, literally, up the stairs to my hotel room even though I had trained on hills and had been running 70 mpw at peak. 

Your day will be excellent no matter what, but really, really taking it easy on the first 8 miles is KEY :)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » WHAT DID I DO????? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2109 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1663 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

1st Tri done - something for the vets to laugh at and other newbs to avoid doing!

Started by Bob the Trier!
Views: 695 Posts: 3

2009-06-16 12:31 PM Yosel88

anyone doing (or have done) the toyota desert triathlon in la quinta, CA?????

Started by alynn1224
Views: 1175 Posts: 5

2008-08-24 11:14 PM tcovert

Has anyone done or doing the Cayuga Lake tri?

Started by sepakk
Views: 861 Posts: 6

2005-08-04 2:05 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"