CGI Racing
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 12s
Overall Rank = 53/3114
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/237
Pre-race routine:

Wake up at 5 am. Staple race morning breakfast rice, meat, and egg porridge. Drove to race, got there at about 6:45. Stayed in my car until 7:15.
Event warmup:

Did a few "cycles" on the port-a-potty line. Then a bit of jogging over to the start area.
Run
  • 1h 28m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran my race. I paced exactly as planned, though I would have liked if I could have ran a bit faster. I had enough endurance to keep running after the finish, I just couldn't really get myself going faster without my HR getting too high, and without me really starting to suck wind. It did get pretty warm near the end of the race, and I was a bit overheated. This was the warmest day all year by far. I could have dealt with 15 to 20 degrees cooler.
What would you do differently?:

Toughened up a bit at mile 10 or so and kicked it in. I've done low 6 min/mi at the end of hard training runs, and was angry that I couldn't get into that gear. At the finish, I felt that I ran it just about as hard as I could have, but I recovered too quickly post-race, and felt fine all day afterwards to honestly say to myself that I gave it my all.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through chute. Debated running back to my car about 2 miles away as a cool down, but saw the shuttle bus back to the start a few feet away and decided I could cool down by sitting on that bus.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I am training through this race, so I had some fatigue from the week. I did a ride 2 days before that had my quads burning during the race.

Overall, I for this distance I would need to get more real speedwork in. Some hard 1km or 1 mile repeats weekly. I had the legs but not the lungs, I was huffing and puffing like a locomotive near the end and at any time my pace dipped into the 6:30s.

Event comments:

CGI puts on good races in this area. I am generally pretty confident that when I do their races that everything will be on time and well organized.

Last updated: 2014-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:12 | 13.1 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/237
Overall: 53/3114
Performance: Good
Splits: 6:41, 6:37, 6:27, 6:49, 6:41, 6:38, 6:42, 6:43, 6:39, 6:51, 6:43, 6:49, 6:47, and 0.1 mi at 6:27 pace
Course: They reiterated the course was flat many times at the start. They mislead me. I wanted pancake flat, and I got consistent low grade ups and downs. No significant climbs or descents, but it was enough to wear me down a bit.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-13 8:30 PM

Subject: Unite Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Unite Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Unite Half Marathon

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1229 Posts: 1

2010-04-19 8:45 PM stevepiv

Unite Half Marathon

Started by colesdad
Views: 1595 Posts: 2

2010-04-23 1:07 PM Happychick

Unite Half Marathon

Started by chrome
Views: 1212 Posts: 1

2010-04-19 10:27 AM chrome

Unite Half Marathon

Started by Biancamano
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2010-04-19 7:49 AM Biancamano

Unite Half Marathon

Started by kofian
Views: 1328 Posts: 2

2010-04-18 8:23 PM colesdad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.