General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you buy a bike from ebay? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-29 8:26 AM

User image

Raleigh
Subject: Would you buy a bike from ebay?
Just wondering what' folks' experience has been. I know exactly what I'm looking for - have tried out different sizes, models at LBS and want to go used so I can get a little higher end. Just not finding anything on craigslist anywhere within a tri-state area.

Other than obviously not being able to return the bike, what are the drawbacks?

2014-04-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: kp73

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Would you buy a bike from ebay?
You can't really inspect it closely unless they send you a lot of close up images, so just try to be really sure it hasnt been in a wreck
2014-04-29 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
I've bought at least three. Know exactly what your buying, make sure the seller has a long and positive history. I haven't had a problem. I prefer listings with numerous pictures, thorough descriptions...

robert
2014-04-29 8:33 AM

User image

Raleigh
I just found a previous discussion about this also - someone posted that buying a carbon frame might be a little iffy if there wasn't a good return policy. What's the issue with carbon frames?
2014-04-29 8:37 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by kp73

I just found a previous discussion about this also - someone posted that buying a carbon frame might be a little iffy if there wasn't a good return policy. What's the issue with carbon frames?

Supposedly a carbon frame has to be kept in really pristine condition for structural reasons. A friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer has a carbon bike and he wraps it up in several blankets before putting it in the back of his car because, according to him, even a scratch can make it structurally unstable and it could bust apart while you're riding. I don't know for sure if a 'scratch' would really do that, but he's a smart guy so take that for what it's worth. I personally wouldn't buy a carbon bike if I didnt see it in person, but thats just me
2014-04-29 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I personally wouldn't buy a bike on Ebay sight unseen.  Just my conservative nature, plus I've been ripped off on Ebay a couple of time with other stuff.

As far as carbon frames, you can have cracks or other damage that might not be readily visible in photographs that may make the frame unsafe and be difficult and/or impossible to repair.  All the more reason to know the history of the bike and whether it's been in any serious crashes, etc.

Caveat emptor.

Mark 

2014-04-29 8:44 AM
in reply to: trijamie

New user
Key West
For whatever it's worth I have sold a motorcycle, car and boat on eBay, always using the escrow service, and have bought and sold several other items with no difficulty. The funny thing is that I don't trust most sellers on Craigslist. Just different perspectives and experience. But you definitely want some good close up photos and ask lots of questions.
2014-04-29 8:48 AM

User image

over a barrier
I race a carbon cyclocross bike and I've been in more crashes than I can count, including 5+ guys riding over me and my bike, during a pile up.

Carbon is very strong. It can certainty be damaged, but doesn't need to be babied. A scratch would just be on the clear coat anyway, and carbon can even be repaired by places like calfree

Here is a carbon vs alum stress test

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

2014-04-29 8:54 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by running2far

I race a carbon cyclocross bike and I've been in more crashes than I can count, including 5+ guys riding over me and my bike, during a pile up.

Carbon is very strong. It can certainty be damaged, but doesn't need to be babied. A scratch would just be on the clear coat anyway, and carbon can even be repaired by places like calfree

Here is a carbon vs alum stress test

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Interesting. Has anyone ever actually heard of a carbon bike breaking apart while someone was riding it? It sounds scary but I wonder if its just folklore
2014-04-29 9:05 AM

User image

over a barrier
I've known of carbon fork failures that become recalls, but that was defective product.

Carbon is raced on the track where more torque is applied that you and I could muster together.
2014-04-29 9:11 AM

Originally posted by trijamie

Supposedly a carbon frame has to be kept in really pristine condition for structural reasons. A friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer has a carbon bike and he wraps it up in several blankets before putting it in the back of his car because, according to him, even a scratch can make it structurally unstable and it could bust apart while you're riding. I don't know for sure if a 'scratch' would really do that, but he's a smart guy so take that for what it's worth. I personally wouldn't buy a carbon bike if I didnt see it in person, but thats just me

They make carbon cross bikes and mtb. The end up with more than scratches.

2014-04-29 9:25 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I spent 7 years doing carbon fiber development, there is no reason to wrap your bike in a blanket. If a carbon fiber bike has been crashed you need to inspect it very carefully for cracks as a crack(which can be difficult to see) can propagate and fail. A scratch will not do that but you have to make sure it is a scratch not a crack.
2014-04-29 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
MA

No one has mentioned scams which can happen when buying on ebay. Don't allow seller to save money by avoiding going through Paypal.

Call and talk to the seller and ask questions.

2014-04-29 10:27 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kp73 I just found a previous discussion about this also - someone posted that buying a carbon frame might be a little iffy if there wasn't a good return policy. What's the issue with carbon frames?

I am a mechanical engineer.

A scratch will not cause your carbon bike to become structurally unstable. A very deep or very wide scratch might be worth getting a once over by an knowledgeable bike mechanic, but those bikes are build to handle normal wear and tear.

2014-04-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Check with mybikeshop(a user on here) to see what he has available. He has sold a lot of bikes and parts to users here and on slowtwitch. I considered buying a bike from him but found a great deal locally.
2014-04-29 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Yes, I would buy a bike on eBay. In fact, I've bought 3 or 4 bikes on eBay and sold close to 20. This includes road bikes, tri bikes, and mountain bikes in aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, and titanium.

My general rule of thumb for ANY eBay purchase is the seller should have at least 100 (selling) transactions and 100% positive feedback. I typically e-mail the seller and ask questions about the bike (both general and specific) and will request additional photos if required (depending on the photos in the ad). Reputable sellers will have no problems answering questions or sending additional photos. I've always done my transactions through Paypal for the buyer protection service, but you could also use an escrow service.

2014-04-29 2:21 PM
in reply to: mobey

New user
I bought a brand new Fuji Aloha frame that was several years "old" (beyond the model year) with a mishmash of components. It was the most cost effective way for me to get my first tri bike. I was willing to buy that sight unseen since it was from a legitimate bike store. That bike served me well for 3 years before I upgraded. When I sold it, I got 70% of my original purchase price.

I've purchased many things on ebay. Seller feedback is a priority and you have to go into it with a "worst case" scenario as a possibility. I haven't had major issues and love the price value point on ebay.
2014-04-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: mobey

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have gotten a few great deals on bikes on Ebay but I knew exactly what I wanted and was patient until it came up.  I've purchased hundreds of things on Ebay over the years including a vintage sports car but again you need to know what you are looking at and need to be cautious and run if your spidey sense starts tingling.

2014-04-29 2:56 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Originally posted by popsracer

need to know what you are looking at and need to be cautious and run if your spidey sense starts tingling.

I've also bought two bikes, a VW van and a bunch of other stuff on EBay. There are great deals and it is a good marketplace, however I've had to learn to be careful not to "fill in the gaps" in peoples story by my excitement to buy. There are too many bikes that research shows don't matchup with the year, model or specs and they were "my friends bike he rode for one race". If there is a gap, don't buy, wait and another deal will come up.

As far as carbon problems, I've picked up a damaged bike at a deal because I know that some carbon is repairable. I've had great results with a local Portland company http://www.ruckuscomp.com/services/repair/ They also repaired my brothers Wilier after a crash and it is hard to see where the break was.
2014-04-29 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Bought a CX frame... it snapped while riding up hill in the winter... long walk home (no injury). There was no sign the seller would have known about it and the company was no longer operating.
2014-04-29 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Bought a CX frame... it snapped while riding up hill in the winter... long walk home (no injury). There was no sign the seller would have known about it and the company was no longer operating.

2014-04-29 9:53 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

I just bought some 88mm CCs from these guys, they were very good, professional and shipping was quick.

http://www.light-bicycle.com/

2014-04-30 5:32 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire

Absolutely crazy! We've been using carbon fiber (and CFRP) for years in planes. You don't see planes break apart mid-flight. Aluminum frames are even more sensitive to point contact than carbon fiber (think about a soda can… if you apply pressure at one point in the middle of the can it will collapse).

Back to the OP… you can buy bikes from eBay, but you have to understand whom your are buying from, not all sellers are equal. There's a lot of reputable dealers and I would stick with one of those. I would shy away from private sellers, unless it's local so you can inspect the bike.
2014-04-30 5:34 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I prefer to sell on Craigslist, to avoid shipping, etc., but I buy there all the time ( it has gotten harder and harder to find deals, though).Out of the seven bikes I have now, all but one came from eBay.Know what makes a deal, what to look out for, which questions to ask, when to ask for additional photos, etc., and it's an okay process.
2014-04-30 7:03 AM

All frames can break. I have a AL mtb sitting in my basement with a broken chain stay.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you buy a bike from ebay? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Shoould I buy from Ebay or online shop

Started by mtx
Views: 1776 Posts: 17

2012-05-08 1:46 PM siberian

Buying Tri Gear question - EBAY Pages: 1 2

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 1575 Posts: 29

2011-10-12 7:26 AM mktoson

is it safe to buy a bike on ebay?? Pages: 1 2

Started by vmaldonado111
Views: 2608 Posts: 31

2011-01-27 11:14 AM vmaldonado111

Buying used wheels on ebay?

Started by KathyG
Views: 2045 Posts: 7

2007-07-17 11:15 AM KathyG

Safe to Buy Bike off Ebay?

Started by surfandturfnj
Views: 1598 Posts: 14

2005-03-07 10:57 PM riser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.