BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-23 11:07 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

And since I made my renewal desires known with that last post, my bio:

NAME: Melanie
STORY: I am a 41 year old female who enjoys being outside and active despite my body's periodic rebellion against such activities. I got into triathlon after befriending a woman at my new (at the time) job who regularly raced. I became hooked on this multifaceted multisport and have just begun my 5th season of triathlon. I also am an ice hockey goalie, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and enjoy kayaking/general outdoorsy activities.

As a kid I was always active (a total tomboy playing football/baseball, climbing trees, building forts with the neighbor boys), swimming (for fun, not competitively), playing softball and volleyball in rec leagues which took a small lull in my early 20s until I discovered the joy of inline skating and eventually learned how to ice skate at age 23. From there I played inline hockey with friends and eventually made the move to ice hockey at age 27. Played as a wing in a whopping 1 game before my best friend talked me into being the goalie and I fell in love with the position and the rest is history.

I ran frequently in the mid-late 90s until I developed femoral tendonitis and put the sport aside until my interest in triathlon bloomed. Got back into the love of biking in 2004 when a friend I worked with got me hooked on mountain biking which for me morphed into the desire to add a road bike to my stable which led to participating in fundraising rides and the rest of that is history, too!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for forever and have 2 fun, funny dogs who always make me laugh and smile

CURRENT TRAINING: Swim and bike focused as I have some weird ankle thing going on that I'm in denial of (in other words, haven't sought medical help for yet).

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Just kicked off the season with a sprint tri.  I'm not officially registered for any other tris yet this year but will likely do about 2-3 other sprints and hopefully an Olympic.  I am signed up for a 10K in the fall.

BODY COMPOSITION: definitely want/need to dump some plump - as of today I am 184-ish (didn't weigh myself this week) on a 5'10" frame and would like to get down to 160 or 155, ideally, but would LOVE to see the 170s as an interim goal. I am currently an 'Athena' at this weight and really woudn't mind not being one by getting below 165.  Weight is a constant battle for me. I want/need to regain some overall strength especially in my arms/upper body. I'd also like to get a better handle on my asthma issues which sometimes raises its ugly head to negatively affect my racing.

2014-05-23 11:07 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by JJ- My plan is to do absolutely nothing this week, start swimming next week with maybe 1-2 rides, then do a very easy run at the end of the 3rd week, with resuming easy training the 4th week. I'll tell you what, after swim/bike/run nearly every day for the last 5 months quitting all of a sudden is worse than when I quit drinking cokes a few years ago. I'm really having a hard time. I know my body NEEDS the time off tho. Plus I've got to let my IT Band calm down some. But this is hard

Foam roller, baby!  It's great for that.

or my favorite torture device, a 4" diameter piece of PVC! I swear it's awesome!

Kids like to use my grandma's rolling pin on me.

2014-05-23 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

And since I made my renewal desires known with that last post, my bio:

NAME: Melanie
STORY: I am a 41 year old female who enjoys being outside and active despite my body's periodic rebellion against such activities. I got into triathlon after befriending a woman at my new (at the time) job who regularly raced. I became hooked on this multifaceted multisport and have just begun my 5th season of triathlon. I also am an ice hockey goalie, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and enjoy kayaking/general outdoorsy activities.

As a kid I was always active (a total tomboy playing football/baseball, climbing trees, building forts with the neighbor boys), swimming (for fun, not competitively), playing softball and volleyball in rec leagues which took a small lull in my early 20s until I discovered the joy of inline skating and eventually learned how to ice skate at age 23. From there I played inline hockey with friends and eventually made the move to ice hockey at age 27. Played as a wing in a whopping 1 game before my best friend talked me into being the goalie and I fell in love with the position and the rest is history.

I ran frequently in the mid-late 90s until I developed femoral tendonitis and put the sport aside until my interest in triathlon bloomed. Got back into the love of biking in 2004 when a friend I worked with got me hooked on mountain biking which for me morphed into the desire to add a road bike to my stable which led to participating in fundraising rides and the rest of that is history, too!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for forever and have 2 fun, funny dogs who always make me laugh and smile

CURRENT TRAINING: Swim and bike focused as I have some weird ankle thing going on that I'm in denial of (in other words, haven't sought medical help for yet).

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Just kicked off the season with a sprint tri.  I'm not officially registered for any other tris yet this year but will likely do about 2-3 other sprints and hopefully an Olympic.  I am signed up for a 10K in the fall.

BODY COMPOSITION: definitely want/need to dump some plump - as of today I am 184-ish (didn't weigh myself this week) on a 5'10" frame and would like to get down to 160 or 155, ideally, but would LOVE to see the 170s as an interim goal. I am currently an 'Athena' at this weight and really woudn't mind not being one by getting below 165.  Weight is a constant battle for me. I want/need to regain some overall strength especially in my arms/upper body. I'd also like to get a better handle on my asthma issues which sometimes raises its ugly head to negatively affect my racing.

And my twin, separated at birth

2014-05-23 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Randee - Vermont City Marathon (Half Relay) on Sunday
Tom - Lou Cox 5k on Sunday
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:
Adrienne - recovery from surgery

2014-05-23 11:47 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Name: Erin, Mommy, Goody.

After 12 years of teaching, husband and I decided a family break was in order. So, for the moment, I am a SAHM to two wonderfully crazy kids (Taylor and Makenna). Taylor's last day of first grade is today, and he turns 7 next week. Makenna is every inch a know-it-all 3yo. Attaching pic already because new manatees might as well get used to seeing them

I've always enjoyed playing sports (all the typical ball sports) and being active. By babysitting and picking blackberries, I earned a horse when I was 12. For the next 6 years I spent no less than 2 hours a day cruising through strawberry fields and along the beach. After a bad knee injury in college that lead to several surgeries, riding my horse was something I could count on when other sports were a no way. One activity I was never excited about was swimming. According to my mother I was a fearless swimmer as a youngster, but somewhere along the years I gained a phobia of the water...or rather what lives in the water. I saw an awesome pic the other day of a pool with a Great White photoshopped into it. A few years ago my husband took up triathlons, and I said I would never/could never. Then I was having a conversation with my son and heard myself telling him, "You'll never know unless you try. Maybe you won't like it. Maybe you will. But you have to try." Sigh...so next thing I know, I was training for a local sprint with four week's notice. I actually listen to my own advice sometimes.

As mentioned, I'm married to a fellow tri person. He's actually making his first attempt at an IM this year (SAHM thing will come in handy for keeping up my own training). We have our two little humans. They were preceded by three sweet mutts, and we added a drooling feline most recently. Our family loves to be active. Trips to Zion are a favorite. Hiking, swimming, biking...the kids love all of it. Getting the kayaks out of storage is next. And our first real camping trip is in the works.

At the moment I am training for....I have no idea. DH mentioned an HIM the other day and I kinda choked up, and not in a good way. lol
2014(so far): Mtn bike relay, IMS Arizona marathon, Pat's Run, Esprit de She Sprint

2014(?): first oly, HM, another sprint, Rim to Rim, a few 5ks (with kids we take races as we can get them scheduled)

Got on the scale for the first time in a couple of months. Little(umm...lot?) fluffier than I should be. Some workout tweaks need to happen. 

(20140519_073746.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140519_073746.jpg (48KB - 5 downloads)
2014-05-23 11:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:

Randee - Awesome sauce! A 1/2 relay would be a blast

Tom - You'll nail it... again

Stacey - Stay dry and have fun!

Salty - Heal up... I saw your pix on twitter, glad you're doing "something"

I am racing Ryan Hall and Shalane Flannagan at BolderBoulder on Monday!!!!!!!!!!! My thanks and respect to all of our military heroes past, present and future. Erin, please pass my thanks to Jason for his service.

2014-05-23 12:00 PM

User image

Melon Presser

GO RANDEETEE!!!
GO FOXAY!!!
GO WET YOUNG STACE FACE!!!

Heal up well, Salty!

2014-05-23 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:

GO RACERS!!!! 

Heal up salty!

TJ, I'm putting my money on you

2014-05-23 12:25 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:

Randee - Awesome sauce! A 1/2 relay would be a blast

Tom - You'll nail it... again

Stacey - Stay dry and have fun!

Salty - Heal up... I saw your pix on twitter, glad you're doing "something"

I am racing Ryan Hall and Shalane Flannagan at BolderBoulder on Monday!!!!!!!!!!! My thanks and respect to all of our military heroes past, present and future. Erin, please pass my thanks to Jason for his service.

Goooo Racers!

And, everyone else, do something lovely this Memorial Day weekend   Mak and I are wearing our "Buddy" Poppies this morning. She donated to the VFW lady in front of the store.

I will certainly pass along to Jason   (re: other thread) Team RWB is pretty strong around here, and they are very family oriented. "Members" are vets, active, family, and supporters.  Jason would like to do more with them, but we're an hour from most of their activities which makes it difficult during the week. We really like the local organizer, Bill Egan.

2014-05-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:

GO RACERS!!!! 

Heal up salty!

TJ, I'm putting my money on you

Have fun, Manatees!!! (Looking forward to meeting you, TJ )

To all of you here in the States, enjoy your 3-day weekends!! (Sorry Yanti, Stacey, and Jonathan - hope you get long weekends soon)

Salty, hope the healing is going well.

And to all of you who are serving or have served in the U.S. military: many, many thank yous.

2014-05-23 2:06 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:

YAY GO US!!!!!

:D

2014-05-23 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!!!!

I have another shadow half-marathon on Monday.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
2014-05-23 2:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!!

May 24-25
Stacey - 12k on Sunday

Disabled list:

GOOOO RACERS!!

HEAL, SALTY!!

Thank you active and retired military!!!  Everyone have a safe weekend!

2014-05-23 4:01 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jbwillsI may be adding a new puppy to the collection. A friends dog is pregnant and due in June, if they have "extras" or sne dosme off to good homes I am high on the list. It would be a Alaskan/Siberian Husky mix. Attached is a picture of the parents. The red one is the father, the gray is the mother.ETA: the decision will also be based on how Pikatti responds to a new pup and plays with him/her.
Beautiful dogs! Hope it all works out.
2014-05-23 7:14 PM

User image

Master

Happy long weekend US'ers and thank you to those who serve.  We had a long weekend this past weekend, so we are not left out.

I just had my second OWS of the year...as usually, first part sucks, but smooths out.  My training partner and I are hoping to get out once/week...now we just have to get over the fact that we have to do twice what we are doing now...

2014-05-23 11:33 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master

Bit of a crazy day, started with dropping T off for his last day of first grade and now ending with bags packed for a last minute drive to Kansas in the morning...to sell one car and buy another.  In between I did the typical SAHM stuff, cleaned house, researched bday party venues, and took the kids to the shelter to get a look at prospective foster pups.

Though I did nothing remotely like working out today, we have the sitter coming at 6am so we can get in a ride before driving for two days...in a little car...with two kids.  The upside is that T gets to celebrate his birthday with his KS family and I get my long-searched-for vehicle. Can't wait to see it in person!

2014-05-23 11:35 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master

Originally posted by bcraht

Happy long weekend US'ers and thank you to those who serve.  We had a long weekend this past weekend, so we are not left out.

I just had my second OWS of the year...as usually, first part sucks, but smooths out.  My training partner and I are hoping to get out once/week...now we just have to get over the fact that we have to do twice what we are doing now...

oh yeah, just that   Very cool that you're getting out to OWS!

2014-05-23 11:44 PM
in reply to: 99Puddles

User image

Master

Originally posted by 99Puddles

I'm going to try this.........

NAME: Debi Long

STORY: I am 49 years old. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and the struggle continues. Last year, despite my thyroid levels being "textbook" they discover nodules (3) on my thyroid. Thankfully the biopsy found them to benign and after months of medication the size of the nodules are reduced. Weight issues.......still the same. I know there is a triathlete stuck inside me somewhere. I love doing all three of the sports, I love the thrill of the finishline. One day my body will love doing all three of them back to back. It's been a power struggle but I think I'm starting to get the upperhand.

FAMILY STATUS: I am the proud mother of one son and three grandchildren. My oldest grandson (7) will be doing his first official tri this July. I am also a military widow of 25+ years. I once had seven very large and very loving lab/shepherd mixed babies, 4 of them had moved on to greener pasture over the last 2 years. My oldest sweetheart (Kirby) is 16 and is as tough as nails. Nearly blind and deaf, he still manages to believe he is the protector of the house. Jack & Hunter (12 years)' on most day, let him believe it as well. These little furry buddies have been my lifeline through so many lonely nights.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently surviving Master's swim classes and running with the local running club. Now that the weather is better, I will be rejoining the cycle club for the many adventurous bike rides out on the Fort Bragg drop zones. There's nothing like gunfire and bombs exploding all around you to make you pedal faster. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Other than a few "at the last minute" 5K runs, my only planned event is the "Dash for Divas" super sprint in September. I secretly want to shot for a HIM, but we'll see how my training and weight loss proceed. I have lots of help this time with coaches, training plans and a super support system. Maybe this year I will find success.

BODY COMPOSITION: Goals........I want my body to catch up to my training program. I want to drop 50 pounds, safely,  And become that shining red bike....

Welcome Debi!   Sounds like you'll fit right in...as soon as you post furry buddy pics. And bike pics. But furry buddy pics first

2014-05-24 4:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Bit of a crazy day, started with dropping T off for his last day of first grade and now ending with bags packed for a last minute drive to Kansas in the morning...to sell one car and buy another.  In between I did the typical SAHM stuff, cleaned house, researched bday party venues, and took the kids to the shelter to get a look at prospective foster pups.

Though I did nothing remotely like working out today, we have the sitter coming at 6am so we can get in a ride before driving for two days...in a little car...with two kids.  The upside is that T gets to celebrate his birthday with his KS family and I get my long-searched-for vehicle. Can't wait to see it in person!

Yay, a new car! What kind is it? Can't say I envy your 2 day trip in a small car with small children. I'm heading out soon on. 3 hour trip to ft lauderdale with my mother and my dog and I'm dreading that, so your trip would probably kill me
2014-05-24 8:51 AM
in reply to: #5000506

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Sounds like several of us road tripping this morning. We are Denver bound!
2014-05-24 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by amd723

Bit of a crazy day, started with dropping T off for his last day of first grade and now ending with bags ptogether d for a last minute drive to Kans. as in the morning...to sell one car and buy another.  In between I did the typical SAHM stuff, cleaned house, researched bday party venues, and took the kids to the shelter to get a look at prospective foster pups.

Yay, a new car! What kind is it? Can't say I envy your 2 day trip in a small car with small children. I'm heading out soon on. 3 hour trip to ft lauderdale with my mother and my dog and I'm dreading that, so your trip would probably kill me
haha! Good luck...I'll send you good travel vibes :P All things considered, our kids are pretty good travelers. We never shied away from it. I've done road trips very pregnant and with babies...they're just used to it. I just laugh at throwing together a week-long trip at 5pm yesterday. Jason keeps me on my toes My "new" car is a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser.

2014-05-24 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5001121

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
From Kansas!?!?!?! DH says we coulda found one of those in Santa Fe!
2014-05-24 1:23 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunnerFrom Kansas!?!?!?! DH says we coulda found one of those in Santa Fe!
lol...probably. But we've been looking for color combo/condition/mileage/price for a few months. Plus his super detail picky dad got to check it out already. How's your drive going?
2014-05-24 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Hi.  Here's my bio.

NAME: Mary; feel free to call me Mare

STORY: 45 yrs. old.  I was a pretty active kid, running, riding my bike, playing at the pool but nothing formal until I ran track in jr. high and high school.  As I got older, music became more of a focus and I left the athletics behind.  Finally took formal swimming lessons in 2002 and totally love it!!  I saw my partner do a few tris, then in 2007 and 2009, I did a couple short adventure races and decided I really wanted to do a tri myself.  Finally had time in 2011 to train, then hurt my back 10 days after I started.  Since then, I've had 2 hip surgeries and in December 2013 was told I needed a spinal fusion.  I was literally ready to throw in the towel on life when I found a chiropractor who got me back on track, both physically and psychologically.  Doing this has helped me rise from the ashes and accomplishing this goal at age 45 is going to be a huge triumph for me.  I'm already planning to do an oly next year and eventually a HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: Wonderful partner Alex.  We've been together since 1998 and married since 2007.  We have 2 border collies (Shanti and Pippin) and a little black cat (Cricket) who all provide constant entertainment.  Shanti is the Order Collie, Pippin is the Wheedle-Nosed Ply-er, and Cricket supervises and commentates.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training for a sprint tri in August.  Going to do a couple OWS/runs between now and then.  Running, biking or swimming 2x each/week, up to ~3 miles running, 10-11 miles biking, and regularly swimming 1000-1200 yds.  Working on endurance, distance, swim form.  Also taking the stairs every day at work.  I work on the 14th floor and am currently up to 7 flights every day.  Goal is to make it to the 14th floor.  L hip is still weaker than the right so I'm doing some strength work for that, although not as consistently as I should be.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Two 5ks so far.  OWS/runs in June and July will be 750 yds swim/5k run.  Sprint tri is August 17.

BODY COMPOSITION: Main achievement so far is to be doing this at all, considering that in January, I was only swimming ~800 yds. 1x/week, always using a pull buoy because kicking hurt my hip and back.  5'7", currently weigh 140.  If I drop weight that's great but that's not my goal.  Primary goal is to continue to get my life back so I can garden, hike, and be as active as I want to be instead of always having to think, "Can I do this or is it going to hurt too much?"

As a newbie to tris and pretty much to organized sports in general, I bring enthusiasm, encouragement, empathy, and humor to my fellow Manatees, as well as a deep understanding of how intertwined psychological and physical well-being are.  This is my 2nd season here and I'm in for the long haul!!

I'll post pics of the fur kids when I have time to figure out how to do it...

Edited by laffinrock 2014-05-24 1:52 PM
2014-05-24 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by rrrunnerFrom Kansas!?!?!?! DH says we coulda found one of those in Santa Fe!
lol...probably. But we've been looking for color combo/condition/mileage/price for a few months. Plus his super detail picky dad got to check it out already. How's your drive going?
Ha! I hear ya. We were that way when we bought the magnum.The drive is ok. We'll be with Mary in Denver and checking out a 17,000 sq ft running store in about 2 hours!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.