BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-25 12:33 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jbwills

Went and seen the Doc today. She thinks some of the tendons/ligaments connecting the metatarsals to the cuneiform bones might be inflammed. She is going to see if the Physical Therapist has a tool here to help improve it. I also have a high arch which they think may be what is causing some of the inflamation. Using running shoes on an exercise bike is not necessarily great but guess I will have to reduce a little, but maintain some of the fitness for when I get home. She did also do some acupuncture on my left foot with the mild plantar faciatus. It has helped, we will see how much it helps with the pain through out the night.

This might sound dumb, but do you have some harder-soled shoes you could use on the bike?  That combined with new boots, acupuncture, and PT tools would be a lot of changes at once but could make enough of a difference to let you keep biking.

Mental pic of him riding in his new boots.

2014-07-25 1:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by rrrunner

Ok Garmin-literate Manatees... my watch started me way off from my actual starting location this morning so my first mile is crazy-stoopid-fast. How do I fix this in garmin connect? (or maybe I should just enjoy the PR right?)

How long did you give it to acquire satellites?  If I don't give my 310XT much time it will start me slightly off.  So I turn it on and set it by a window before I go outside to run to make sure the reception is great.

2014-07-25 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ok Garmin-literate Manatees... my watch started me way off from my actual starting location this morning so my first mile is crazy-stoopid-fast. How do I fix this in garmin connect? (or maybe I should just enjoy the PR right?)

To fix the distance, got to the activity in Garmin Connect, click the Edit pencil and select Full Edit.  Enter the distance. 

2014-07-25 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sooooo DS2 is racing without me this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a local 4 race TT series. We raced #1 together last weekend but this weekend I have to be at church all morning. So he is racing without me. *pout*

Not another one leaving the nest?!

2014-07-25 1:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====

July 26-27
Kate - Blood, Sweat, and Beers 10 Mile Trail Race on Sunday
Kirsten - Ironman Canada on Sunday
Stevey - London to Cambridge - 60 miles bike ride on Sunday

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Chris - hamstring (no more softball!)
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:
 Tracker: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=canada&y=2014#axzz38LLDNT1q
 iOS App:  IMTrackr

2014-07-25 1:29 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by jbwills

Went and seen the Doc today. She thinks some of the tendons/ligaments connecting the metatarsals to the cuneiform bones might be inflammed. She is going to see if the Physical Therapist has a tool here to help improve it. I also have a high arch which they think may be what is causing some of the inflamation. Using running shoes on an exercise bike is not necessarily great but guess I will have to reduce a little, but maintain some of the fitness for when I get home. She did also do some acupuncture on my left foot with the mild plantar faciatus. It has helped, we will see how much it helps with the pain through out the night.

This might sound dumb, but do you have some harder-soled shoes you could use on the bike?  That combined with new boots, acupuncture, and PT tools would be a lot of changes at once but could make enough of a difference to let you keep biking.

Mental pic of him riding in his new boots.

To be perfectly honest, me too!!  Either that or white athletic socks and dress shoes.  Sorry, Jonathan!

2014-07-25 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:
 Tracker: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=canada&y=2014#axzz38LLDNT1q

Not too many racing manatees this weekend, but what great races for those who are racing!! 

GO RACERS!!  

Kirsten, I'll be stalking you

Ok, DLers, get off the list. 

2014-07-25 1:45 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Kate, sweat is fine, beers are great, but no blood please!!

Kirsten, have a super race!!  You're so ready, physically and mentally.  I'll be thinking of you all day and I can't wait to read your RR.

Stevey, enjoy your ride and the scenery.  You'll be fine, although no guarantees about walking like a cowboy.  If you do end up with the cowboy gait, put on some boots and spurs and have some fun!

DL'ers, what can I say?  Much as I like you, I'm glad I'm not in your company this week.  Heal up soon, please.

2014-07-25 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Kirsten, have a super race!!  You're so ready, physically and mentally.  I'll be thinking of you all day and I can't wait to read your RR.

Stevey, enjoy your ride and the scenery.  You'll be fine, although no guarantees about walking like a cowboy.  If you do end up with the cowboy gait, put on some boots and spurs and have some fun!

DL'ers, what can I say?  Much as I like you, I'm glad I'm not in your company this week.  Heal up soon, please.

Well that's just rude 

2014-07-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

How long did you give it to acquire satellites?  If I don't give my 310XT much time it will start me slightly off.  So I turn it on and set it by a window before I go outside to run to make sure the reception is great.

Hmmmm, it said the satellites were aquired but that is a good idea. Maybe I'll try that next time. I was hoping to be able to fix it using the map (like on strava) because I'm not sure of the actual difference between where I started and where it shows I started....

2014-07-25 2:08 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Not too many racing manatees this weekend, but what great races for those who are racing!! 

GO RACERS!!  

Okay, "attorney heal thyself" doesn't have quite the ring to it that physician does but you're talking at yourself here...

GO RACERS!!!!!!!!!!!! All of the races look epic and we will be stalking on SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-07-25 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

GO RACERS!!  

Okay, "attorney heal thyself" doesn't have quite the ring to it that physician does but you're talking at yourself here...

GO RACERS!!!!!!!!!!!! All of the races look epic and we will be stalking on SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha, ha.  I think i've proven that i am almost incapable of getting off or staying off the DL !!

2014-07-25 2:32 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm playing in a hockey tournament this weekend. It's been ohhhhh 18 months since I have skated last? 

I was just thinking, ooo its nice time of year for hockey... then I realised you meant yank hockey :P
2014-07-25 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Not sure that is suitable work attire...

So today we recieved (at long last - very close to deadline) our kit for the ride - as its a company event, and as we sponsor a professional norwegian riding team.

I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to ride 60 miles in a brand new pair of shorts.... ???
2014-07-25 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Janyne, as always, I am amazed at your ability to keep up with such a diverse group!

I hope for nothing but the best for the racers and for the DL'rs as well.

2014-07-25 2:52 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Well that's just rude 

XOXO.  You know I don't mean that.  It's not that I don't like your company, but that I'm happy to not be on the DL.  Given how I was feeling at the start of the week, I wasn't sure I wasn't going to be!  Fortunately, after a massage and a chiro crunch later, I'm feeling much better.  If only it were always that easy!

2014-07-25 3:01 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by SteveyD

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Not sure that is suitable work attire... So today we recieved (at long last - very close to deadline) our kit for the ride - as its a company event, and as we sponsor a professional norwegian riding team. I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to ride 60 miles in a brand new pair of shorts.... ???

2 words: chamois butter.

2014-07-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Some of my coaching group. Coach is the man on the right (looking at the picture). Ryan, the guy next to me reminds me of DS1 (in size and temperment) so I have to be intentional about not treating him like my son

ETA: D, the lady in the red dress, had just swam (swum?) her first 400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-07-25 3:17 PM

(IP group.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IP group.JPG (204KB - 6 downloads)
2014-07-25 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

Not sure that is suitable work attire... So today we recieved (at long last - very close to deadline) our kit for the ride - as its a company event, and as we sponsor a professional norwegian riding team. I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to ride 60 miles in a brand new pair of shorts.... ???

I'd do it but my "nothing new on race day" really only applies to nutrition...

2014-07-25 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

Racing Manatees!

====

July 26-27

Disabled List:
Ann-Marie - hip
Tom - knee

Follow Kirsten info:

What is chamois butter???
I would agree to no new things, but when its a sponsored kit that only arrived today having been on order for 2 months
2014-07-25 4:24 PM
in reply to: SteveyD

User image

Denver, CO

What is chamois butter??? I would agree to no new things, but when its a sponsored kit that only arrived today having been on order for 2 months

It's a cream that helps reduce friction that could lead to saddle sores.  It's more accurately known as chamois cream and most bike shops carry it.  For more detailed info about types and usage, google it or search the Tri Talk forum.

2014-07-25 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Some of my coaching group. Coach is the man on the right (looking at the picture). Ryan, the guy next to me reminds me of DS1 (in size and temperment) so I have to be intentional about not treating him like my son

ETA: D, the lady in the red dress, had just swam (swum?) her first 400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice photo TJ!

2014-07-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

What is chamois butter??? I would agree to no new things, but when its a sponsored kit that only arrived today having been on order for 2 months

Funny you ask this. My coach, who is also a pastor, was trying to delicately explain chamois butter to some of the newbs in our group. Too funny! Anyway, it is a cream that you shmear on the "sensitive areas" that come in contact with the saddle to avoid rubbing.

ETA: I hit submit too slowly. I'm glad I'm almost done with my time as a manager!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-07-25 4:33 PM
2014-07-25 4:48 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Funny you ask this. My coach, who is also a pastor, was trying to delicately explain chamois butter to some of the newbs in our group. Too funny! Anyway, it is a cream that you shmear on the "sensitive areas" that come in contact with the saddle to avoid rubbing.

ETA: I hit submit too slowly. I'm glad I'm almost done with my time as a manager!

This was quite a mental image, gave me a good giggle because I can see that being a difficult subject for a pastor in mixed company  

2014-07-25 4:55 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by QueenZipp

This was quite a mental image, gave me a good giggle because I can see that being a difficult subject for a pastor in mixed company  

It makes for some interesting discussions. We are allowed to fart, burp and blow snot rockets when training as a group, but not curse

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.