BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-12-23 6:31 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Hi Shane. I for one would would welcome your contributions to the group. The only downside I see is now all of your athletes are going to have to find another mentor group in which to talk about how awful your workouts are.

2014-12-23 6:40 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

No, no, no, not awful!  Challenging is the word.  

2014-12-23 6:43 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by axteraa

I'm thinking New Year's swim will be 100x100

KICK!

Shane
2014-12-23 6:45 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I should be done in time for next New Year....

2014-12-23 6:53 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Oh good lord. This is EXACTLY why I am glad my coach doesn't read internet triathlon forums..... ;^)

2014-12-23 7:31 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Oh good lord. This is EXACTLY why I am glad my coach doesn't read internet triathlon forums..... ;^)

Who else could lay out an entire season's plan in so few words?

2014-12-23 9:12 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
It's the time of the year for reflection and I've just been looking over my logs for the year, as I usually do in late December, to decide on a plan for the next year and evaluate how things went this year.

Things I learned in 2014:

-Cycling with power is amazing! The feedback during training is so valuable and learning specific race specific pacing and practicing really helps keep one from blowing up on the run in races.

-When building my run, I must always remember to start with frequency first and build slowly enough. Time and time again, I have pushed the paces too quickly-too early and find myself with a niggling injury.

-For me, I can get back to being an 'average' swimmer pretty quickly and do not need to waste my time on building huge swim volumes. (Ah, one benefit from being as slow as I am-ha!) And since I will never be racing for a podium spot, knowing I will have a wetsuit on to help with my poor form is comforting.

-I really can push harder on the bike more often than I do, and still recover enough to keep with the training plan.

-Racing at a much higher weight than I'd like both slows me down and adds to risk of injury. Must...get...lighter...for next year.

-I will never be able to control the absolute timing of workouts as my job/life/family has too much going on and I must learn to adapt better.

-Racing sprints hurts much more than Oly/Half IM races-oof!

-I will probably have to work a bit harder on strength/core work as I have injured my body too often over the years and the strain of racing causes me to breakdown late in the year.
2014-12-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce It's the time of the year for reflection and I've just been looking over my logs for the year, as I usually do in late December, to decide on a plan for the next year and evaluate how things went this year. Things I learned in 2014: -Cycling with power is amazing! The feedback during training is so valuable and learning specific race specific pacing and practicing really helps keep one from blowing up on the run in races. -When building my run, I must always remember to start with frequency first and build slowly enough. Time and time again, I have pushed the paces too quickly-too early and find myself with a niggling injury. -For me, I can get back to being an 'average' swimmer pretty quickly and do not need to waste my time on building huge swim volumes. (Ah, one benefit from being as slow as I am-ha!) And since I will never be racing for a podium spot, knowing I will have a wetsuit on to help with my poor form is comforting. -I really can push harder on the bike more often than I do, and still recover enough to keep with the training plan. -Racing at a much higher weight than I'd like both slows me down and adds to risk of injury. Must...get...lighter...for next year. -I will never be able to control the absolute timing of workouts as my job/life/family has too much going on and I must learn to adapt better. -Racing sprints hurts much more than Oly/Half IM races-oof! -I will probably have to work a bit harder on strength/core work as I have injured my body too often over the years and the strain of racing causes me to breakdown late in the year.

Awesome Dale. Lots of amazing stuff in there. Geeze I hear you on the pain associated with shorter distance racing. I still have no idea who the IMs and Marathons get so much love and respect in comparison. Woowee. 

I am in the reflection phase as well. I will share when I finish. 

2014-12-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by dtoce It's the time of the year for reflection and I've just been looking over my logs for the year, as I usually do in late December, to decide on a plan for the next year and evaluate how things went this year. Things I learned in 2014: -Cycling with power is amazing! The feedback during training is so valuable and learning specific race specific pacing and practicing really helps keep one from blowing up on the run in races. -When building my run, I must always remember to start with frequency first and build slowly enough. Time and time again, I have pushed the paces too quickly-too early and find myself with a niggling injury. -For me, I can get back to being an 'average' swimmer pretty quickly and do not need to waste my time on building huge swim volumes. (Ah, one benefit from being as slow as I am-ha!) And since I will never be racing for a podium spot, knowing I will have a wetsuit on to help with my poor form is comforting. -I really can push harder on the bike more often than I do, and still recover enough to keep with the training plan. -Racing at a much higher weight than I'd like both slows me down and adds to risk of injury. Must...get...lighter...for next year. -I will never be able to control the absolute timing of workouts as my job/life/family has too much going on and I must learn to adapt better. -Racing sprints hurts much more than Oly/Half IM races-oof! -I will probably have to work a bit harder on strength/core work as I have injured my body too often over the years and the strain of racing causes me to breakdown late in the year.

Awesome Dale. Lots of amazing stuff in there. Geeze I hear you on the pain associated with shorter distance racing. I still have no idea who the IMs and Marathons get so much love and respect in comparison. Woowee. 

Agree - good stuff Dale. And add me to that camp as well. The thing I like about ironman training and racing is that it is generally kinda pleasant. I also find the shorter distances more taxing (and at the moment I prefer that). Spurred by the regular conversation on BT about moving "up" to ironman, and folks deciding to race short course "because they don't have time to train for ironman" a few weeks ago I decided to compare this year (racing only sprints and Olympics) to last year (third year in a row training for IM). This year I averaged 13.9 hours per week training, while last year I averaged 13.5 hpw. Now I know that doesn't really mean much if anything by itself, but still....

But Dale, as for not "wasting" your time building swim volume, well that sounds more like something you decided rather than something you learned. ;^P

And just for the record, I am in the EATING phase myself.

2014-12-23 12:05 PM

Master
Northern IL

Agree - good stuff Dale. And add me to that camp as well. The thing I like about ironman training and racing is that it is generally kinda pleasant. I also find the shorter distances more taxing (and at the moment I prefer that). Spurred by the regular conversation on BT about moving "up" to ironman, and folks deciding to race short course "because they don't have time to train for ironman" a few weeks ago I decided to compare this year (racing only sprints and Olympics) to last year (third year in a row training for IM). This year I averaged 13.9 hours per week training, while last year I averaged 13.5 hpw. Now I know that doesn't really mean much if anything by itself, but still....

But Dale, as for not "wasting" your time building swim volume, well that sounds more like something you decided rather than something you learned. ;^P

Yeah, long vs short for me has made no difference whatsoever in the overall training amount over several years. Just when going longer some of the workouts have to be longer instead of broken up more. Shorter isn't always going really fast just as longer isn't always going easier. Not much difference for me there either. For the most part it's been more a reflection on what I think I need to do for aerobic power in general as opposed to the race being trained for.

2014-12-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Good post, I could have posted this.  In fact, I could post this every December.

Well, except for #1.  that for me was 2012 ish, but the latter part of that sentence, about not blowing up on the run?  Yeah, still haven't figured that one out....

2014-12-23 12:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod

I'm thinking New Year's swim will be 100x100 KICK! Shane

Great

Having your coach in your mentor group is kinda like being Facebook friends with your mother......

2014-12-23 12:22 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah, long vs short for me has made no difference whatsoever in the overall training amount over several years. Just when going longer some of the workouts have to be longer instead of broken up more. Shorter isn't always going really fast just as longer isn't always going easier. Not much difference for me there either. For the most part it's been more a reflection on what I think I need to do for aerobic power in general as opposed to the race being trained for.

Ugh, way to kill my dream!!  I'll be starting a new job (new position, same company) next year -- the following year will be CRAZY busy, so here I was thinking, "I'll focus on HIM distance again this year and the following couple years, I'll focus on some shorter distances since that should free up some time."  And then Ben and Rusty have to go point out the flaws in my thinking.

I suppose if I said, "Maybe I'll just become a runner" Adrienne would tell me how much time she devotes to running

FWIW, I am currently running only.  I decided to let the swim and bike go for a bit because a) they weren't being terribly productive, and b) my running also wasn't improving.  I'll pick back up mid-January when I finish my HM.  Running is hard work -- I'm so impressed with all you fast runners!

2014-12-23 12:42 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ChrisM

I'm thinking New Year's swim will be 100x100 KICK! Shane

Great

Having your coach in your mentor group is kinda like being Facebook friends with your mother......

Hahahaha!

2014-12-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Ugh, way to kill my dream!!  I'll be starting a new job (new position, same company) next year -- the following year will be CRAZY busy, so here I was thinking, "I'll focus on HIM distance again this year and the following couple years, I'll focus on some shorter distances since that should free up some time."  And then Ben and Rusty have to go point out the flaws in my thinking.

I suppose if I said, "Maybe I'll just become a runner" Adrienne would tell me how much time she devotes to running

FWIW, I am currently running only.  I decided to let the swim and bike go for a bit because a) they weren't being terribly productive, and b) my running also wasn't improving.  I'll pick back up mid-January when I finish my HM.  Running is hard work -- I'm so impressed with all you fast runners!

Running is hard work. And I also found that during the last 4 years of triathlon training/racing, my run volume has decreased to sub100mi/month. In fact, just a few months ago did I realize this and it took concerted effort to run more than 125mi/month for me and I used to average 40mi/week for years...

I think balancing training with life is a challenge for most of us. You'll figure it out, Nicole.

But, you need a base before you can add pace/intensity and I personally will have to do it if I want to race triathlons faster. Base run miles take the most out of me (and you?), so I am in your camp to drop S and B substantially over the winter. Ever since the summer after IMLP when I broke my neck/shoulder, I have just had trouble doing a lot of swim volume. (Honestly, Rusty, it's not just not wanting to do it. It's a strength question first, then a swim fitness issue second. I will possibly need to actually have the recommended shoulder surgery if it worsens)

I think Shane's presence here would be a SUPER bonus, even if infrequently. It's much safer in SBR than TT....There are sharks in those waters...

Anyone else have any enlightenments or breakthroughs in 2014?
2014-12-23 12:45 PM

User image

Seattle

I'm excited to see how this goes for you. I think you are going to have some pretty obvious improvements.

I would say that I do dedicate a lot of time to running, of course, but because of the high impact nature of the sport it's not nearly as much as one could dedicate to triathlon. Even if I wanted to. So you are correct

2014-12-23 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N

I would challenge everyone to simply ignore trolls.  Don't respond at all, or even acknowledge that their posts exist.  Use the ignore button.  Allow bad information to proliferate if need be.

While I hate to admit it, it's probably the right thing in BT. Just not something I want to participate in. A TT break may be in order for me.

I'm not sure how Shane does it...or if he's even human...but he somehow makes it work in TT.  I think if you state your opinion, back it up with solid data or references...most people can decide for themselves which information or ideas have the most value.  Really no need to jockey back and forth with another poster unless you are actually bouncing ideas off each other.  Easier said than done though.

Stopped in after I saw Fred was finished - sorry to see him go and certainly a loss for the site. Having knowledgeable people willing to contribute to the discussion and combat ignorance is important for the health of any forum so loosing someone like Fred is going too hurt (whether most realize it or not). I think, if this group will be going again that I'll aim to stop by in the new year if you'll have me. Despite Jason's belief that I might not be human, the way TT has been going, I really don't feel that it's worth the time or effort in many cases to post. I am certainly happy to provide my thoughts and experience, but I just don't have the time or inclination to spend as much time dispelling the misinformation. I've gone through cycles of posting more and less but, and this might be a get off my lawn type observation, it seems that things have been on a pretty steady decline with no signs of coming around. Shane

Shane were you planning to repeat your coaches mentor group again in 2015?  Unfortunately I didn't participate in at as much as I would have liked this year since I spend my available time coaching my athletes, running my own BT mentor group, and IM training.  Regardless, it would be great to have you participate in SBR Utopia.

2014-12-23 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fred D Canadians are Fast, and crafty!

Not this one, it took me 3 or 4 days to realize the group had switched to the archives!  I just thought things were quiet....   

Texans (or at least this one) are, apparently, much slower.  Just catching up today!  And much has happened...

Matt

2014-12-23 4:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

Haha! You could still make some gains in a few ways doing that.

2014-12-24 8:09 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Marc,

I am not doing the map test today. I'll do it tomorrow when I have more time. I work until 1:30pm today then have a few errands to do. I also still have to fix the flat on the CT. I have been using 700x23 tubes. They seam to be to light for the job. I keep blowing them on the CT. Will look for a heavier tube. So got to stop by the bike shop as well.

The map test is in erg mode. No problems with that. My question is can I save that erg file or test on the computer? Once again I don't train in erg so I am not sure. I also use my Garmin 910xt with the speed/cadence/HR sensor while doing CT workouts. That's what I upIoad to Strava

So today started with 7 miles in the rain. I will do a double run at noon. I am also thinking about a triple run for tonight. Never done a triple run. Anybody done a triple run?
2014-12-24 8:40 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

The only triple run I've ever done was 1. race warmup, 2. first run of duathlon, 3. second run of duathlon

Are you sure you don't have something in the tire that is causing the flats?

2014-12-24 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

The only triple run I've ever done was 1. race warmup, 2. first run of duathlon, 3. second run of duathlon

Are you sure you don't have something in the tire that is causing the flats?

Yeah, last time I checked real good. The time before that I ashley blew the tire and the tube. I will check and probable replace the rim tape as well. Btw I have low calibration numbers on my CT, like 205-215. So not like I have a lot of force on the contact roller. Calibration 200 is minimum recommend. For me doing anything over a 5% grade on the CT with low calibration numbers I'll start to get a lot of slip.
2014-12-24 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by BrotherTri
So today started with 7 miles in the rain. I will do a double run at noon. I am also thinking about a triple run for tonight. Never done a triple run. Anybody done a triple run?

James
I routinely run a particuliar 5K run that I do three times. Once easy for warmup (it is a January race-often in the snow), once for the race, and once in cooldown.

I also trained for Ragnar by running triples for a week, but that was much worse, as I ran them all at goal pace for alternating miles and varied the time of day to get used to the strain of incomplete recovery. Did 3x5miles-once in AM, one in late pm and one in the middle of the night. My wife laughed when I set the alarm for 2am to do a run.

Good luck with the triple!
2014-12-24 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I had a buddy who blew tubes all the time before she finally figured out the rim tape was too soft. Has it been changed by an overzealous wrench since you bought the wheels?
2014-12-24 10:50 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by fisherman76

I had a buddy who blew tubes all the time before she finally figured out the rim tape was too soft. Has it been changed by an overzealous wrench since you bought the wheels?

Yeah I have changed it before. Not sure the last time thou but probable the last time it was raced which was c maybe 09'.... the wheels are some 1991 Campagnolo wheels. I think they are the original to my Kestrel 200 SC. I do my own wrenching on all my bike unless it's some $250 tool. Kind of part of my hobbie....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37760 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73077 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.