BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-04 6:28 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-09-04 7:37 AM

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by axteraa

So, it' seems like it's a big race weekend for SBR Utopia.  Nicole and Marc in Mont Tremblant for the WC 70.3, Neil is doing Muskoka 70.3 and Chris is doing S.O.S.

Anyone else?  I'm doing a race simulation workout on Saturday for Barrelman in two weeks.

good luck folks! I am going to be glued to the computer following the pro race in MT. I have one last race at the end of the month and then plan on football, beer and getting fat.

Speakign of the MT race - anyone techy enough to know if there is someway to record  the live stream?  Or is there a site that will host it afterwards?

2014-09-04 7:50 AM

Elite
Ontario

Good team swim this am. Been working on the entry of my left arm... almost on to something big.

Also, a new toy arrives for me soon to assist in training ;-)

Don't tease - tell us what you're getting. 

Race numbers are out and I'm bib 441.  40-44 is the biggest AG again, and off by itself in the 3rd wave.  I see a couple of big names in the Pro lineup - Richie Cunningham, but a bit of a surprise to see Andy Potts, I would have expected to see him at MT.  Andrew Yoder is also racing this one, I wonder what kind of bike split he'll put down.

2014-09-04 7:57 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by GoFaster

So, it' seems like it's a big race weekend for SBR Utopia.  Nicole and Marc in Mont Tremblant for the WC 70.3, Neil is doing Muskoka 70.3 and Chris is doing S.O.S.

Anyone else?  I'm doing a race simulation workout on Saturday for Barrelman in two weeks.

good luck folks! I am going to be glued to the computer following the pro race in MT. I have one last race at the end of the month and then plan on football, beer and getting fat.

Speakign of the MT race - anyone techy enough to know if there is someway to record  the live stream?  Or is there a site that will host it afterwards?

If you want to start and stop it manually there are are a bunch of ways to do it for free, Quicktime Player being one of the easiest. I use snapZpro on the mac, just because it ha a lot of other handy features. If you want to schedule it you will have to pay for that as far as I know. On PC WMrecorder is good, on Mac Movavi is good, but I don't think you can set an automatic start time in Movavi - but you can start it, tell it when to stop, and walk away. If you are capturing 5~5 hours of video you probably want to spool it to a large drive. I would assume the live stream is archived, but not sure if it is ever put up online?

2014-09-04 7:57 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Good team swim this am. Been working on the entry of my left arm... almost on to something big.

aw, come on Fred!

2014-09-04 8:22 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'll take a few stabs at it.

- A GoPro for underwater swim video

- an Endless pool

- a Kickr

- rollers

- treadmill

- Powercranks

2014-09-04 8:23 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Elite
PEI, Canada

It seems to me that the live stream from Vegas was posted online on the Ironmanlive site for a while but I can't swear to that.

2014-09-04 8:25 AM
in reply to: axteraa

2014-09-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

2014-09-04 9:33 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Had a good run this morning with 20 mins @ T pace which for me is trying to hit 4:15-4:20/km.  

It's funny when I look at my run paces from about this time last year, I'm hitting the hard efforts for T-pace and I-pace a bit faster (5-10s/km) but my long, easy runs are a bit slower (10-15s/km).  I don't know what that means, if anything.

2014-09-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Shane has always preached that most athletes don't go hard enough on their hard days and don't go easy enough on their easy days...seems like he's got you whipped into shape.

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-04 9:56 AM

2014-09-04 1:51 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N Shane has always preached that most athletes don't go hard enough on their hard days and don't go easy enough on their easy days...seems like he's got you whipped into shape.

Yeah, I guess so!  

That ties into your comment on Strava yesterday too.  The ride I did on Wednesday wasn't terribly difficult but it was supposed to be on Tuesday which would have made for a hard day Tuesday, easy Wednesday and then another hard day today.  Instead I ended up with hardish, hardish, hard.

2014-09-04 3:38 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jason N Shane has always preached that most athletes don't go hard enough on their hard days and don't go easy enough on their easy days...seems like he's got you whipped into shape.

Yeah, I guess so!  

That ties into your comment on Strava yesterday too.  The ride I did on Wednesday wasn't terribly difficult but it was supposed to be on Tuesday which would have made for a hard day Tuesday, easy Wednesday and then another hard day today.  Instead I ended up with hardish, hardish, hard.

Don't forget the study of the horses that Shane likes to post...

2014-09-04 4:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
You guys should see what they did to our beautiful MT run course.

The eliminated that beautiful flat section of le petit train du Nord and they replace it with a run up the hill in the village. It's brutal, just brutal.
You know how you would run up to the Quintessence hotel (spelling) ? and then down to the chute ? Well now you just keep climbing and climbing and climbing. It is brutal.

I managed to register for MT 70.3 next year. They better put it back the way it was r I am lodging a formal complaint.
2014-09-04 4:17 PM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by GoFaster

Don't tease - tell us what you're getting. 

Race numbers are out and I'm bib 441.  40-44 is the biggest AG again, and off by itself in the 3rd wave.  I see a couple of big names in the Pro lineup - Richie Cunningham, but a bit of a surprise to see Andy Potts, I would have expected to see him at MT.  Andrew Yoder is also racing this one, I wonder what kind of bike split he'll put down.

Andy is focussed on Hawaii this year. He probably plans on not pushing it as hard as he normally would at the 70.3 WC at Muskoka.

He also probably sees easier prize money at Muskoka?

They are paying quite deep at WC 70.3 plus they get 2015 KPR points.
Apparently top 10 is like winning a race like Muskoka.
2014-09-04 5:09 PM
in reply to: marcag

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by marcag You guys should see what they did to our beautiful MT run course. The eliminated that beautiful flat section of le petit train du Nord and they replace it with a run up the hill in the village. It's brutal, just brutal. You know how you would run up to the Quintessence hotel (spelling) ? and then down to the chute ? Well now you just keep climbing and climbing and climbing. It is brutal. I managed to register for MT 70.3 next year. They better put it back the way it was r I am lodging a formal complaint.

Wow...but, how did they find enough course in the village to make up for eliminating le petit?  Do you just go to the old village and then back without going on the trail?

2014-09-04 5:12 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by marcag You guys should see what they did to our beautiful MT run course. The eliminated that beautiful flat section of le petit train du Nord and they replace it with a run up the hill in the village. It's brutal, just brutal. You know how you would run up to the Quintessence hotel (spelling) ? and then down to the chute ? Well now you just keep climbing and climbing and climbing. It is brutal. I managed to register for MT 70.3 next year. They better put it back the way it was r I am lodging a formal complaint.

Wow...but, how did they find enough course in the village to make up for eliminating le petit?  Do you just go to the old village and then back without going on the trail?

It's a two loop run course.

Marc, I was looking at the course map last night and the only word I could come up with was brutal as well.  Running back down from the top is probably going to be a quad killer too!  I can't imagine they will keep that route for the regular 70.3

2014-09-04 5:53 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

- Powercranks

A new Den for my lions?

Based on your Facebook pics, it looks like I was right!  

2014-09-04 8:28 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Extreme Veteran

Yes, the eliminated the petit train, added that climb in the village and made it two loops. There is not a flat part anywhere.

I saw Frodeno out there today. Looks like he has a new Shiv with camouflage colors. Weird looking.

2014-09-04 8:30 PM

Elite
Ontario

Marc, I was looking at the course map last night and the only word I could come up with was brutal as well.  Running back down from the top is probably going to be a quad killer too!  I can't imagine they will keep that route for the regular 70.3

I thought I'd read somewhere that the course was changed specifically for the WC, which I assume to mean it will revert back to the expected route for next year.  

2014-09-04 9:23 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

By the end of the race, I'm certain the toenail on my big toe of the right foot will be a goner.  I trimmed it down as far as I could, but it's already black, cracked, and has a new nail attempting to grow under it from the St. George - Buffalo Springs beat down it took.

Flying out in the morning -- hope I have everything packed!

2014-09-04 9:32 PM

Does anyone have the Garmin Edge 510/800/810?

I just got a 510 to replace the 500 I have that is falling apart.  Internals are fine, just the rubber casing that covers the 4 buttons is cracking after 30k miles of use.

I opened the box, and immediately noticed that the contrast was poor when the backlight wasn't on.  I figured eventually I would find the contrast setting to turn it up, but there is none.  So I googled "510 contrast" and boom...a whole bunch of reviews with the same complaint.  None of which were DC Rainmakers.  Dang it! 

I took the unit outside in the sun, and at certain angles, it's great, but other angles it's very poor...borderline unreadable.  Never had this type of issue with my 500...only if it was really dark, in which backlight solves the problem.

So...is this something you just get used to?  Something you regret?  I still have the opportunity to return the unit and I can always send in my old 500 for a refurbished unit for $80.

2014-09-05 5:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Does anyone have the Garmin Edge 510/800/810?

I just got a 510 to replace the 500 I have that is falling apart.  Internals are fine, just the rubber casing that covers the 4 buttons is cracking after 30k miles of use.

I opened the box, and immediately noticed that the contrast was poor when the backlight wasn't on.  I figured eventually I would find the contrast setting to turn it up, but there is none.  So I googled "510 contrast" and boom...a whole bunch of reviews with the same complaint.  None of which were DC Rainmakers.  Dang it! 

I took the unit outside in the sun, and at certain angles, it's great, but other angles it's very poor...borderline unreadable.  Never had this type of issue with my 500...only if it was really dark, in which backlight solves the problem.

So...is this something you just get used to?  Something you regret?  I still have the opportunity to return the unit and I can always send in my old 500 for a refurbished unit for $80.

I have an 800 and a 500. I like them equally. I got the 800 for maps when travelling.
I find it slightly large with my BTA setup. I vary from BTA to Torhans. I find the contrast very good and of course the display being bigger, you can get easier to read numbers.

Funny you posted this. I saw the rumor of the 920 and got all excited. Then I remembered that I am boycotting new Garmin products until they have proven themselves.
2014-09-05 9:46 AM
in reply to: marcag

2014-09-05 9:47 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37705 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73006 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.