BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-05 9:48 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-09-05 9:50 AM
in reply to: marcag

2014-09-05 11:00 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Jason N

Does anyone have the Garmin Edge 510/800/810?

I just got a 510 to replace the 500 I have that is falling apart.  Internals are fine, just the rubber casing that covers the 4 buttons is cracking after 30k miles of use.

I opened the box, and immediately noticed that the contrast was poor when the backlight wasn't on.  I figured eventually I would find the contrast setting to turn it up, but there is none.  So I googled "510 contrast" and boom...a whole bunch of reviews with the same complaint.  None of which were DC Rainmakers.  Dang it! 

I took the unit outside in the sun, and at certain angles, it's great, but other angles it's very poor...borderline unreadable.  Never had this type of issue with my 500...only if it was really dark, in which backlight solves the problem.

So...is this something you just get used to?  Something you regret?  I still have the opportunity to return the unit and I can always send in my old 500 for a refurbished unit for $80.

I think you can adjust the contrast?

At least in the 800 you can.

There is no contrast adjustment for the 510. Wondering if this can be addressed with a firmware update. I texted a few guys locally and they say they have issues with the visibility in the morning, but once there is full sun it's fine. At least they made it really easy to switch the backlight between "stays on" and "xx seconds".
2014-09-05 12:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran

I don't know what the results will be but this has been an incredible learning experience. Way better than Vegas. There is a completely different vibe to it.

Maybe it's because it's a village rather than scattered people all over Las Vegas.

Pro panel was cool. Frodeno said he was tired and focusing on Kona. Javier said he was in a bit of a funny head space after Edmonton but on arrival has been energized. Kienle was funny. Bozzone charming.

Jodie Swallow is more attractive in person than in pictures.

If you could ask a pro anything, what would you ask ?
2014-09-05 12:47 PM

Master
, California

but once there is full sun it's fine

Good thing you live in Hawaii.  I have about 9 months each year without full sun

2014-09-05 1:06 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag  I have an 800 and a 500. I like them equally. I got the 800 for maps when travelling. I find it slightly large with my BTA setup. I vary from BTA to Torhans. I find the contrast very good and of course the display being bigger, you can get easier to read numbers. Funny you posted this. I saw the rumor of the 920 and got all excited. Then I remembered that I am boycotting new Garmin products until they have proven themselves.

Love, love, love my Garmin 800. I found a way for BTA set up with a bottle.

I love my 910xt as well.

However, about to try a different brand really, really soon despite some Team Zoot criticism on Facebook for not just using Gamin ;-)

You going with the Polat V800? 

2014-09-05 1:08 PM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag I don't know what the results will be but this has been an incredible learning experience. Way better than Vegas. There is a completely different vibe to it. Maybe it's because it's a village rather than scattered people all over Las Vegas. Pro panel was cool. Frodeno said he was tired and focusing on Kona. Javier said he was in a bit of a funny head space after Edmonton but on arrival has been energized. Kienle was funny. Bozzone charming. Jodie Swallow is more attractive in person than in pictures. If you could ask a pro anything, what would you ask ?

Volume vs Intensity and how they balance it properly - or how their coach balances it for them...

I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff - most of it dumb, that I would ask given the chance.

2014-09-05 1:27 PM

Originally posted by marcag If you could ask a pro anything, what would you ask ?

Can I buy you a beer?

That should at least allow me to ask 5 more questions right?  

2014-09-05 1:33 PM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

Good thing you live in Hawaii.  I have about 9 months each year without full sun

I took it out this morning.  Left the house around 40 minutes after sunrise and while it was dim, it was readable.  Elevation was pretty much spot on with my 500, which is another thing I was concerned about.  510 for some people would give more elevations...anywhere from 10-30% depending on who was complaining.  Overall I'm pretty happy with it thus far.  For a 1 hour ride, it only used up 4% battery including a 5ish minute stretch where I kept the backlight on while under a viaduct.

Automatic upload worked fine, the only concern I have is that after you hit the stop button, it asks you if you want to discard or save.  God forbid I accidentally press discard after a hard workout.  Maybe there's a way to turn that off.

2014-09-05 1:35 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

I took it out this morning.  Left the house around 40 minutes after sunrise and while it was dim, it was readable.  Elevation was pretty much spot on with my 500, which is another thing I was concerned about.  510 for some people would give more elevations...anywhere from 10-30% depending on who was complaining.  Overall I'm pretty happy with it thus far.  For a 1 hour ride, it only used up 4% battery including a 5ish minute stretch where I kept the backlight on while under a viaduct.

Automatic upload worked fine, the only concern I have is that after you hit the stop button, it asks you if you want to discard or save.  God forbid I accidentally press discard after a hard workout.  Maybe there's a way to turn that off.

If it's like my 220, when you pick discard, there is a second "are you sure" prompt with the default being no.

2014-09-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

My local bike shop asked me to write up a report on my race at IM Mont-Tremblant.  Here's a link if interested

2014-09-05 3:15 PM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag If you could ask a pro anything, what would you ask ?

Can I buy you a beer?

That should at least allow me to ask 5 more questions right?  

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but some of them don't drink beer. Really.....
2014-09-05 8:34 PM

Champion
So...Been running and doing tris for over 6 years now. I've always had a neutral foot strike...or so I thought...until my ankles had been driving me insane for the past 8 months. Thought it was just fitness and I'd eventually get over it...

And now I have peroneal tendinits...Right worse than left but bilateral involvement. I've been on reduced running for the past 2 weeks because my ankles have really been bothering me. Finally went to physio today and confirmed tendinitis...so the usual physio stuff and she commented that I'm pronatiing and suggested I see if I could get a stride assessment/shoe assessment at the local run shop. They agreed and I ran on the treadmill with multiple different shoes escalating to med support shoe that prevents specifically my R foot from pronating when I run. I supinate when I stand. Physio said the R word--rest...5 weeks out of Vic Marathon...that's prob not going to be the smart distance to do at this point and I'll likely change to the 8k or 21k depending on what happens.

Run analysis dude also pointed out that I'm a heel striker and suggested maybe I should gradually adjust my stride to midfoot strike as that will also help to reduce my pronation.

So basically I'm a run fail and now I have tendinitis...guess this would have been a good thing to find out 2 months ago when I was initially having trouble.

Anyone else have such a seemingly dramatic change in the biomechanics of their running?
2014-09-06 5:10 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Birkierunner

My local bike shop asked me to write up a report on my race at IM Mont-Tremblant.  Here's a link if interested

That's a great report Jim, thanks!

2014-09-06 5:32 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mndymond

So...Been running and doing tris for over 6 years now. I've always had a neutral foot strike...or so I thought...until my ankles had been driving me insane for the past 8 months. Thought it was just fitness and I'd eventually get over it...

And now I have peroneal tendinits...Right worse than left but bilateral involvement. I've been on reduced running for the past 2 weeks because my ankles have really been bothering me. Finally went to physio today and confirmed tendinitis...so the usual physio stuff and she commented that I'm pronatiing and suggested I see if I could get a stride assessment/shoe assessment at the local run shop. They agreed and I ran on the treadmill with multiple different shoes escalating to med support shoe that prevents specifically my R foot from pronating when I run. I supinate when I stand. Physio said the R word--rest...5 weeks out of Vic Marathon...that's prob not going to be the smart distance to do at this point and I'll likely change to the 8k or 21k depending on what happens.

Run analysis dude also pointed out that I'm a heel striker and suggested maybe I should gradually adjust my stride to midfoot strike as that will also help to reduce my pronation.

So basically I'm a run fail and now I have tendinitis...guess this would have been a good thing to find out 2 months ago when I was initially having trouble.

Anyone else have such a seemingly dramatic change in the biomechanics of their running?

Very sorry to hear this

My achilles problems all started when I tried going to a mid foot strike. It's been 3 years, on and off.

The biggest problem has been other injuries flaring up as you try to compensate and do something you have never done. THis winter I plan to do strength work to get the rest of the leg muscles more in check with the traditional quads, hamstrings.... I want to forget 2014 running and never experience it again.

I am not sure why you try to change but I would say that unless it's really broken, don't touch it. Your body took 20 something years to learn to run like that, you won't change it overnight.

Now if you were continuously injured before then I do understand trying to change it. There are few people I would trust to do a running gate analysis

There is a group of athletes I know that all tried to change their gate. They all got injured with PF being the biggest occurence of problems
2014-09-06 8:03 AM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Originally posted by mndymond

Melissa-
I had stress fractures from marathon training long ago and needed to change my gait quite a bit. Went on a learning binge and believe my personal issue was a combination of poor biomechanics/old fractures-leg length discrepency etc and low cadence. I was able to make some adjustments and get back to run training after they healed and have never had real issues-as long as I keep up with strength/stretching etc.

I agree with what Marc said regarding being cautious in changing too much ('trying to compensate and do something you have never done'.) Finding out the reason why is certainly key. It may be due to pronation.

You may find that after you rest enough to resume a light load, just changing to a more supported shoe and working on some balance/strength issues is all you need.

Good luck.

Marc-
I hope you are on the path to recovery by now and stay on it. Once again, thanks for all the help with bike POWER. You are an amazing teacher.

2014-09-06 8:47 AM
in reply to: dtoce

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dtoce

Marc-
I hope you are on the path to recovery by now and stay on it. Once again, thanks for all the help with bike POWER. You are an amazing teacher.

I hope I don't fall into the category of those who can't do, teach :-)

I had an interesting chat with a guy last night who is quite the uber biker.
I asked about how he measures improvement year over year and some of his observations are similar to mine.

I got a new PM so comparing watts to watts becomes hard. So 200 last year and 200 this year are not the same. Same thing for him. You can get some reference points. I am fortunate, I have a computrainer that has remained constant through the process.

So let's say I did 2h45 on 210 watts last year and same course I do 2h45 on 200 watts this year.
Did I improve, is it the PM ? is it the course conditions ? Very hard to tell.

Like me, his 30min power improved, yet his ability to hold it improved less.

So did he or I improve ?

Running is a little easier to track progress I find.

I know for example my swim has improved this year, based on swim meets which are well controlled environments. Swims in OWS are definitely faster at my cottage. But will this translate to race results ?

It's really hard to gauge improvement at one point.
2014-09-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: dtoce

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by mndymond And now I have peroneal tendinits...Right worse than left but bilateral involvement. I've been on reduced running for the past 2 weeks because my ankles have really been bothering me. Finally went to physio today and confirmed tendinitis...so the usual physio stuff and she commented that I'm pronatiing and suggested I see if I could get a stride assessment/shoe assessment at the local run shop. They agreed and I ran on the treadmill with multiple different shoes escalating to med support shoe that prevents specifically my R foot from pronating when I run. I supinate when I stand. Physio said the R word--rest...5 weeks out of Vic Marathon...that's prob not going to be the smart distance to do at this point and I'll likely change to the 8k or 21k depending on what happens. Run analysis dude also pointed out that I'm a heel striker and suggested maybe I should gradually adjust my stride to midfoot strike as that will also help to reduce my pronation. So basically I'm a run fail and now I have tendinitis...guess this would have been a good thing to find out 2 months ago when I was initially having trouble. Anyone else have such a seemingly dramatic change in the biomechanics of their running?
Melissa- I had stress fractures from marathon training long ago and needed to change my gait quite a bit. Went on a learning binge and believe my personal issue was a combination of poor biomechanics/old fractures-leg length discrepency etc and low cadence. I was able to make some adjustments and get back to run training after they healed and have never had real issues-as long as I keep up with strength/stretching etc. I agree with what Marc said regarding being cautious in changing too much ('trying to compensate and do something you have never done'.) Finding out the reason why is certainly key. It may be due to pronation. You may find that after you rest enough to resume a light load, just changing to a more supported shoe and working on some balance/strength issues is all you need.  

Years ago I used to have knee issues that limited my running. I've actually gone to less supported to help with this. Also found that moving to lower drop shoes helped this. My feet needed some time to build up the strength with each move. Calves and achilles area also needed some time with the reduced drop. I'm running entirely in Altras now and at times can feel the area for PF getting sore, but always stopped before it was a real issue. I think some of the difficulty in this is that the areas being worked are small and less developed that we just don't have the sensitivity built into them. We don't feel a problem coming until it's too late. It's also hard to back down from where we've built up to. To trust that things will build back up and what we've worked for so far isn't going to go to waste.

2014-09-06 11:47 AM

2014-09-06 11:49 AM

2014-09-06 2:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Nice.

I was tempted by the V800 but at the time, no power, no export and obvious alpha maturity made me hold off. I believe they are very close to releasing power and other things, so I would be of a different opinion today.

That said, with the iWatch about to release, I am really curious to see how this all plays out. I think the iWatch could be a game changer.

I think Polar was the first to really talk about some of the metrics such as HRV that I believe are the beginning of something big in tracking fitness/fatigue etc.

But I really believe the iWatch could revolutionize things.

How do you plan to do power ? Upgrade PT to Bluetooth or Ant/BT bridge ?

2014-09-06 3:23 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-06 3:25 PM
2014-09-06 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran

I really like just using a dedicated bike computer and I love my Garmin 800. So I will just keep it on my bike.

I actually did a ride today with both on... used the Polar for HR data, the Garmin for power. Yes, sounds overly complex, however I like the daily wear features of the Polar V800 and also the recovery status, RR variability stuff and the activity counter.

iwatch sounds cool, however apple has little experience in the competitive multi sport watch industry, so I will hold off on that for now, but yes, it is intriguing.

The data export issues should be resolved fairly soon as well.

Lastly, the swim HR ability is interesting. Swim metrics out in a month as well.

FYI, the 4iiii HR strap will send your power data to the V800. It does Ant to BT. I have one, it works to send my Ant+ to a BT iPhone. It would allow you to have HR and power in the same file, which is an interesting correlation.

Swim HR....yes for OWS when the strap is maintained by the wetsuit of tri top. In a pool I think everyone has trouble keeping the strap in place.

The fatigue stuff is very cool.

The iWatch. It will take a while for the multisport to fall in place. BUT, when you have a hardwre platform with GPS and BT along with features, still to be confirmed such as HR at the watch, Blood pressure, Blood glucose, Sweat rate.....there is some room for some really cool stuff. With an Open platform available to developers, this could be really really cool.

I am a Polar fan. They are a good company. They were a customer of ours and they are just good people.

Edited by marcag 2014-09-06 3:46 PM
2014-09-06 3:58 PM

2014-09-06 3:59 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37832 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73130 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.