BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-07 11:13 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by dtoce

Originally posted by mndymond

And now I have peroneal tendinits...Right worse than left but bilateral involvement. I've been on reduced running for the past 2 weeks because my ankles have really been bothering me. Finally went to physio today and confirmed tendinitis...so the usual physio stuff and she commented that I'm pronatiing and suggested I see if I could get a stride assessment/shoe assessment at the local run shop. They agreed and I ran on the treadmill with multiple different shoes escalating to med support shoe that prevents specifically my R foot from pronating when I run. I supinate when I stand. Physio said the R word--rest...5 weeks out of Vic Marathon...that's prob not going to be the smart distance to do at this point and I'll likely change to the 8k or 21k depending on what happens.

Run analysis dude also pointed out that I'm a heel striker and suggested maybe I should gradually adjust my stride to midfoot strike as that will also help to reduce my pronation.

So basically I'm a run fail and now I have tendinitis...guess this would have been a good thing to find out 2 months ago when I was initially having trouble.

Anyone else have such a seemingly dramatic change in the biomechanics of their running?

Melissa-
I had stress fractures from marathon training long ago and needed to change my gait quite a bit. Went on a learning binge and believe my personal issue was a combination of poor biomechanics/old fractures-leg length discrepency etc and low cadence. I was able to make some adjustments and get back to run training after they healed and have never had real issues-as long as I keep up with strength/stretching etc.

I agree with what Marc said regarding being cautious in changing too much ('trying to compensate and do something you have never done'.) Finding out the reason why is certainly key. It may be due to pronation.

You may find that after you rest enough to resume a light load, just changing to a more supported shoe and working on some balance/strength issues is all you need.

Good luck.

Marc-
I hope you are on the path to recovery by now and stay on it. Once again, thanks for all the help with bike POWER. You are an amazing teacher.

Thanks for the input guys. It just seems so weird for such a change to my gait (assuming it was different before---maybe I was never neutral footed and was just able to compensate)...

Shane was along the same line as well. Let feet adjust to the new shoes and see how new shoes/physio work out and if its still a problem then maybe think about gait.

I'm going "gasless" this weekend. (Not allowed to use my car) Biked around town doing errands and for a get together yesterday. Going to bike to the Y this am to test out the new shoes on a treadmill. I can't use them outside and be able to take them back to the store if I don't like them.

2014-09-07 12:56 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Mont Tremblant updates

Marc - 31:06 swim, 2:46:26 bike and through 18k on the run holding pretty steady splits

Nicole - 33:29 swim, 2:57:26 bike and is through 15k on the run and seems to be getting faster with each split!

Neil, I would look you up but I don't know your last name!  I do see a Neil that swam 34 mins and biked 2:55 though.

2014-09-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion
Originally posted by axteraa

Mont Tremblant updates

Marc - 31:06 swim, 2:46:26 bike and through 18k on the run holding pretty steady splits

Nicole - 33:29 swim, 2:57:26 bike and is through 15k on the run and seems to be getting faster with each split!

Neil, I would look you up but I don't know your last name!  I do see a Neil that swam 34 mins and biked 2:55 though.

Nice! Finish strong guys!
2014-09-07 2:43 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Beautiful, challenging race with ridiculously talented athletes. It was just an honor to be there among them. I didn't feel great on the bike, but my run made up for it...run PR for me Currently drinking a beer, and then off to find some food. Have a couple days in MT to relax and have fun...hoping to meet up with Marc for a beer later. Looks like his run injury recovery is going well...strong race!!
2014-09-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Great job Nicole!  Enjoy the time off.  Make sure to have some poutine.  

2014-09-07 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Chris is done at SOS too (based on Facebook) but no clue on results.  I can't wait to hear about that one!

2014-09-07 3:38 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Beautiful, challenging race with ridiculously talented athletes. It was just an honor to be there among them. I didn't feel great on the bike, but my run made up for it...run PR for me Currently drinking a beer, and then off to find some food. Have a couple days in MT to relax and have fun...hoping to meet up with Marc for a beer later. Looks like his run injury recovery is going well...strong race!!

Congratulations

It was a rough day for me
I was happy with the swim. I knew I was about 1 minute faster than last year and it was exactly that

Bike was ok. I rode the last little while with a flat. My bike felt weird on Duplessis but I ignored it. When I picked it the front tire was completely flat. I suspect it had a slow leak. I need to diagnose it.

The bike was windier then when a few of us did it in 2013. The headwind going out on the 117 was stronger than forecasted. I think it was strongest for the pros.
I did ride my watts which were conservative since I was concerned for the run.

Run was brutal for me. I started really slow and was actually feeling good from 5km to 10. Then when I went up that crazy hill my adductor completely seized. I walked up and when I tried coming down it completely seized again. It ended up happening 5 times and I could normally walk it off. But I had to walk the entire last downhill. It's definitely my lack of run fitness because I did not overcook the bike. I rode quite conservative, HR was low and I felt better than usual.

The run course is MUCH harder than the non WC version. I am surprised it makes such a difference, but it does. It is relentless hills. When doing the non WC course he get about 9 or so kilometers of flat between two sets of rolling hills. This was all rolling hills with that crazy climb they added. Talking to Jordan he find it really tough.

Nicole, your run time is very very good for that course.

2014-09-07 8:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chris is done at SOS too (based on Facebook) but no clue on results.  I can't wait to hear about that one!

One word. Epic. Ok. Maybe two. Ouch. Much harder than any half I've done including wildflower but without question the mos beautiful race I've done in. 10 years racing. Should absutely be on your lists

wasn't sure how to pace it or how to approach, only time goal was sub 6 and came in at 5:57.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-09-07 8:22 PM

2014-09-07 9:51 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Mont Tremblant updates

That was me...

Coles Notes version
Swim - happy with the time and how I did compared to the AG
Bike - was feeling really good, but for some reason fell apart around km 70/75.  Had the exact same "moving time" as 2012 - expected to be a bit faster.
Run - big disappointment with a run that was 8min slower than 2012 and more than 11min slower than goal.  
Nutrition - I need to move away from gels/sweet stuff on the bike - I want to see if there is an alternative since it's impacting my day.

Told myself during the run that I'm never doing a full IM...

But after all is said and done, I still ended with a decent AG placing.

2014-09-07 9:55 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Marc/Nicole/Chris - congrats on the races everyone.

2014-09-07 11:53 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM

One word. Epic. Ok. Maybe two. Ouch. Much harder than any half I've done including wildflower but without question the mos beautiful race I've done in. 10 years racing. Should absutely be on your lists

wasn't sure how to pace it or how to approach, only time goal was sub 6 and came in at 5:57.

Be very interested in the race report on this one, which actually means to take your time and write it up well!

2014-09-08 6:35 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-08 6:36 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

2014-09-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Great racing everyone.

Had an interesting weekend.  Saturday I opted to just do a fun ride in the morning for a local sport magazine photo shoot.  7 of us from various teams just following a car taking pictures at a soft pedal pace goofling off.  Ate breakfast afterwards where the idea of mountain biking in the afternoon came up.  It was a very non-technical trail with the exception of the first 300 yards which was a steep technical drop. Long story short, a buddy an I crashed (not into each other) within this first section.  I ended up with what I think is a deep bone bruise on my left thigh and he ended up with a partially collapsed lung and a broken rib.  My buddy thought he was okay at first, and said we should ride on as he would chill by the car, but 20 minutes later I got a call saying he needed to go to the hospital.

When roadies go mountain biking...true story.  LOL.  I'll probably be off the bike a few days as I can barely bend my knee without feeling like someone is grinding their elbow into my thigh.  My friend is recovering okay.  I think I'll transition to cyclocross first.

2014-09-08 2:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Hope you guys get better soon!

Strangely enough, I feel better out on mountain bike trail than the thought of impaling myself on a cyclocross course.

2014-09-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: marcag

2014-09-09 8:55 AM

2014-09-09 9:10 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

BT forums sure seem to be dead these days.

I have been thinking about whether to keep logs here anymore as I have Strava, TP and Polar accounts as well. The forums are essentially dead from what I can tell, with the exception of a few mentor groups (and of course I assume COJ ;-).

I seem to be posting more on ST and enjoying the dialogue more there. I don't see any intent to change things at BT as the owners revenue stream is more made through other processes than the forums.

Part of me wants to still log here as it's become my 'diary' of sorts, but man am I logging a lot of places these days.

Thoughts on what you all are planning?

I haven't been actively logging here for a while.  Every once in a while I do a mass import from TP.

Ron says that they are working on getting the Garmin Express automatic uploads going (same as you can do for TP and Strava).  When that happens I might start logging here again as it won't be so cumbersome to upload to a bunch of places at once.  I can just do a quick cut and paste.

2014-09-09 9:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

I have been thinking about whether to keep logs here anymore as I have Strava, TP and Polar accounts as well. The forums are essentially dead from what I can tell, with the exception of a few mentor groups (and of course I assume COJ ;-).

I seem to be posting more on ST and enjoying the dialogue more there. I don't see any intent to change things at BT as the owners revenue stream is more made through other processes than the forums.

Part of me wants to still log here as it's become my 'diary' of sorts, but man am I logging a lot of places these days.

I haven't been actively logging here for a while.  Every once in a while I do a mass import from TP.

Ron says that they are working on getting the Garmin Express automatic uploads going (same as you can do for TP and Strava).  When that happens I might start logging here again as it won't be so cumbersome to upload to a bunch of places at once.  I can just do a quick cut and paste.

Finding myself putting less details in here. Going all to Strava is tempting with the Auto upload. Amazing how fast that is. Done before I can open up the site here. I can't figure out what Strava is doing with some important data though. Anyone really know what "weighted power" is? It's never matched up with NP. I'd expect the breaks in some rides to mess things up a bit, but even straight trainer rides and races are showing differences. Sometimes AP matches up, which makes little sense either as there would be breaks in a ride. Mile splits for some runs has been wonky too. Way off on the pacing there.

2014-09-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1 I can't figure out what Strava is doing with some important data though. Anyone really know what "weighted power" is? It's never matched up with NP. I'd expect the breaks in some rides to mess things up a bit, but even straight trainer rides and races are showing differences. Sometimes AP matches up, which makes little sense either as there would be breaks in a ride. Mile splits for some runs has been wonky too. Way off on the pacing there.

I've heard it's the same as xPower.  I just checked against 3 or 4 recent rides and xPower (from goldencheetah) and Strava weighted power were either the same or within 1w.

2014-09-09 11:56 AM

Master
Northern IL

Ok, I guess that makes sense. Any idea what's up with the running though? The last race is a striking example. It actually did have the right mile splits, but under the Laps tab. On the Overview they're horrendously off, by ~30 seconds for a couple of them.

2014-09-09 12:02 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hmm, that is really weird.  I've never noticed that happen on any of my runs.  Only time things get off a bit is if I stop my watch in the middle of the run then on the overview page it seems to include the stoppage time.

Edit - the other way around.  The overview page has the KM splits right but the laps page includes stopped time.

Edited by axteraa 2014-09-09 12:04 PM
2014-09-09 12:27 PM

Fred, I agree that the forums here are on life support.  There hasn't been a decent conversation in a while, and most of the conversations that do get traction are not really training based.  I've stopped logging in BT since Kona...it's just too much of a PITA.  I find Strava 100x better and its platform also allows for more insightful comments.  For example, when Arend does a 5x5' workout, I can actually see his power for each split and make a comment based on it.  Which I actually did last week.  With BT...all you get is speed, time and HR.  Hard to tell if it was a good workout or not unless you manually post your splits numbers in the description.  Not to mention Strava easily allows you to see others workouts in a feed rather than manually clicking on each friend to see if they even did a workout.

I also find myself browsing ST much more often.

Edited by Jason N 2014-09-09 12:28 PM
2014-09-09 3:56 PM

Master
, California

I've had the same issue.  I'm a software guy... I've been thinking about working on an app that will upload my Garmin data to multiple sites when I sync.  But the tricky part is safely managing logins / passwords.

Another idea is a browser plugin that would just send off requests to the garmin communicator for each site that you're already logged in on.  Then I don't have to deal with passwords.  Anyhow I need to do some research but it would remove some of the nuisance.

I also use Raceday Apollo, but that's just a windows app and I don't think there's a better way to make it sync.

2014-09-09 4:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
misc stuff

I got to the bottom of my flat tire. I did have a puncture, probably caused by rim tape. It's Zipp rim tape. A sponsored pro suggested using Velox despite being sponsored by the big manufacturer. I probably rode down Duplessis with the flat. It's the only part of the ride that doesn't make sense. I noticed a funny feel but to be honest I was just so fed up of being on the bike I didn't notice speed or handling was that off.

Another important thing, he suggested using sealant in latex tubes. He looked at the puncture and sealant would have probably resolved it. I plan to do that moving forward. Latex tubes with removable cores, open, insert Stan's sealant, close, ride a bit to get it all around the tube. Repeat every 3 months.

It was a draft fest at WC. I saw little in my AG because we were a) not that many b) sandwiched between slower groups so only the super duper fast guys would have caught the 35-39 and 40-44 which were the main cuplirts. Those waves were huuuuuuge and back to back. What was strange was seeing the huge draft packs, with a moto following them but no penalties. I think this was the black eye for the event

This weekend a pro Shiv was in my living room so I lifted it, lifted my bike....wow, I have a fatty. I broke down where the weight is and plan to put it on a diet. Probably a few pounds to get ride of.

I have stopped logging in BT. I use TP and will probably go to Apollo next year. I have it, I just haven't been using it.

I am done with the forums as long as a few members, particularly one, is around. Information is so wrong sometimes but it's just not worth it. No plans to lead mentor groups either.

Apple Watch is a bit of a let down. Actually a big let down.

Although I feel pretty good, a metric I have been tracking, HRV, heart rate variability has told me to back off. So I will wait for it to bounce back before running or biking. I will just do some swimming. No taper was probably not the smartest thing for that race but better in the medium term

Edited by marcag 2014-09-09 4:36 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37751 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73064 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.