BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-05-23 12:21 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by mehaner

OK first question to the group - this is the first week our hot weather has come out to spank us.  I went out for an easy 30 minute run and was WIPED OUT after a WICKED FAST 11:30 mile.  How do I re-acclimate to the heat - cause it's only gonna get hotter here.

Heat acclimation takes time. No speeding it up except by spending more time outside. I like to drive home with all my windows down and sunroof open when it's hot to give me more time in the heat. Being in air conditioning most of the time then running outside is tough.

Another thing I like to do is run with a frozen water bottle in my hand. Just those cheap, clear plastic ones. I have to keep switching hands because it is so cold, but I think it helps cool me a little and I have ice water to drink after about 30 minutes. Once gone, I'll refill it at a drinking fountain then pour it on my head and/or drink it.

2014-05-23 12:25 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ransick

OK first question to the group - this is the first week our hot weather has come out to spank us.  I went out for an easy 30 minute run and was WIPED OUT after a WICKED FAST 11:30 mile.  How do I re-acclimate to the heat - cause it's only gonna get hotter here.

Heat acclimation takes time. No speeding it up except by spending more time outside. I like to drive home with all my windows down and sunroof open when it's hot to give me more time in the heat. Being in air conditioning most of the time then running outside is tough. Another thing I like to do is run with a frozen water bottle in my hand. Just those cheap, clear plastic ones. I have to keep switching hands because it is so cold, but I think it helps cool me a little and I have ice water to drink after about 30 minutes. Once gone, I'll refill it at a drinking fountain then pour it on my head and/or drink it.

oh yeah - corollary question - what does everyone use for hydration while running?  with the heat i need to have water with me even on short runs but i don't want to be irritated.  tried a couple systems at the running store today and wasn't too impressed....

2014-05-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Hi Everyone -

I'm back for more!

NAME: Rebecca (I'll answer to miche on here, hehe.)

STORY: I've been doing triathlons for over 10 years (omg). Last year I did my first HIM and that's why I joined H&M. I'm overweight and slow, but signing up for races is the best way for me to stay active.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two boys, 2 and 5. Starting potty training this weekend. Yay! Hoping to adopt a baby soon... could happen at any time.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am trying to do a minimal sprint plan (2x bike, swim, 3x run) for the time being, and then ramp up for races later in the season. I tried to focus on run this spring, but it didn't work. Work got in the way and I don't like running enough to do it 5 times a week.

2014 RACES: Sprint at the end of June, Oly in Sept, and half marathon in Nov. But my BIG GOAL is to run a 5k in under 31 min.

WEIGHTLOSS: This is a big issue for me right now. Last year when I finished my HIM, I was in great shape. Since then I've put on 25 lbs. I've gone from contemplating buying smaller jeans than my "skinny" jeans to the "fat" jeans feeling tight. I'm very unhappy with this state of affairs. After 3 years of pregnancy, breastfeeding and HIM training, I am apparently used to eating constantly. Not sure what I need to do to change this. My diet is pretty healthy. My first goals are to weight train consistently and stop eating after the kids are in bed. Too much snacking between 9 and 11 pm! Seems like BIG GOAL will not happen with extra weight on. At least my fitness level is good.

2014-05-23 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by Taringa

I tried to get up the hill they have dubbed "the beast", the first few hundred metres were fine with an incline of 10%, but then it got rapidly steeper (18%) and about 2/3 of the way up I just couldn't get up any further.

Holy cow! My least favorite hill around here is a 10% grade and that takes me in the granny gear and standing to make it. Don't think I could do 18%, especially after doing 10% for awhile! (For the record, it's a sucky hill because it's so curvy. Scares the daylights out of me. Have to use my breaks, so I can't even get much momentum to back up.)

what is the grade at tavern?  that's about the worst hill i can manage and i'm glad i live in a flat land

I'm not sure about the tavern tri hill... but I don't remember it being as bad as the one I'm talking about. If you've ever ridden in Ashland, it's what the cyclists call "the second sister" (The three big hills in a row riding north out of town are the "three sisters.")

2014-05-23 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Ah, here is a description from Richmond Multisports site:
"The hill climb on Manakintown is substantial (3 percent and is just under 1.7 miles in length. The elevation change is approximately 194 ft) and you will need to train for it or walk it"

Hm, I feel like 3% is underestimating it. Maybe it's got a not-so-steep section in there? But almost 200 ft climb is twice the amount of my nemesis hill. That one climbs 100 feet in 0.2 miles.

2014-05-23 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Ah, here is a description from Richmond Multisports site:
"The hill climb on Manakintown is substantial (3 percent and is just under 1.7 miles in length. The elevation change is approximately 194 ft) and you will need to train for it or walk it"

Hm, I feel like 3% is underestimating it. Maybe it's got a not-so-steep section in there? But almost 200 ft climb is twice the amount of my nemesis hill. That one climbs 100 feet in 0.2 miles.

I have ZERO hills to climb here in Newport News, so to me the Tavern hill is a beast.  But we don't even HAVE more than 50 ft of elevation here....so everything is beast.

2014-05-23 10:11 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome back Gary and Rebecca!
2014-05-24 12:43 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hey Miche, good to see you back! Re: weightloss, have you tried any of the calorie tracker apps? I ended up using one (myfitnesspal) just to keep an eye on my intake and I was surprised at just how much I usually ate. It does tend to reduce what you eat, I find mainly because if you eat it, you have to record it (I've convinced myself) and that can be a little fiddly.

2014-05-24 12:45 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Heat acclimation takes time. No speeding it up except by spending more time outside. I like to drive home with all my windows down and sunroof open when it's hot to give me more time in the heat. Being in air conditioning most of the time then running outside is tough. Another thing I like to do is run with a frozen water bottle in my hand. Just those cheap, clear plastic ones. I have to keep switching hands because it is so cold, but I think it helps cool me a little and I have ice water to drink after about 30 minutes. Once gone, I'll refill it at a drinking fountain then pour it on my head and/or drink it.

oh yeah - corollary question - what does everyone use for hydration while running?  with the heat i need to have water with me even on short runs but i don't want to be irritated.  tried a couple systems at the running store today and wasn't too impressed....

I must admit I hate carrying anything while I'm running so I tend to live off the taps and drinking fountains in the parks, or just go thirsty. I know a lot of people use those camelback backpacks and they seem to be happy with them.

2014-05-24 12:48 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Oh, and for the heat- run at dawn, or in the evening. That's how we do it here (subtropical), it really gets dangerous to push too hard in the heat and humidity. 

2014-05-24 8:54 AM

User image

Weather gorgeous here for the weekend. Got in a 2000 yd swim this morning. Felt great. Did mostly form stuff because wanted to save self for first OWS of the season on Memorial Day. Meeting up for the first time with the local triathlon club I joined for an OWS in the surf. Looking forward to it.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone!

Cheers.

2014-05-24 11:48 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

had an AMAZING run this morning, of course, it was only 63 degrees.

this is the hydration pack i'm currently eyeing up, great reviews.   CamelBak Delaney I tried on a similar one at the running store and tested it on the treadmill - it had a velcro closure which i didn't like but this Delaney has thinner straps and a buckle....probably will order today and hope i love it!

2014-05-24 5:43 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

this is the hydration pack i'm currently eyeing up, great reviews.   CamelBak Delaney I tried on a similar one at the running store and tested it on the treadmill - it had a velcro closure which i didn't like but this Delaney has thinner straps and a buckle....probably will order today and hope i love it!

That hydration belt looks good. I was looking at this one http://www.rei.com/product/842337/fuelbelt-r2outdoor-hydration-beltbut I think I like yours better. I have a couple of those camelback water bottles for my bike and their great.
2014-05-24 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Hey Miche, good to see you back! Re: weightloss, have you tried any of the calorie tracker apps? I ended up using one (myfitnesspal) just to keep an eye on my intake and I was surprised at just how much I usually ate. It does tend to reduce what you eat, I find mainly because if you eat it, you have to record it (I've convinced myself) and that can be a little fiddly.

Yeah, I've tried both myfitnesspal and BT's nutrition log. The problem is that there's a big energy barrier to starting. I usually do OK for a day or so, but then it all falls apart because I made something in the crock pot and I have no idea how to log it. Like, making a recipe in the app takes a long time, and on top of that, then I don't have any good idea of how many servings there are in the pot anyway. I also feel like the estimate of my calorie expenditure especially, but also intake is so uncertain. Like one program will tell me I need 1800 cal/day and another will tell me 2500 cal/day. In any case, I know logging works well for some. I need to find some other approach...

2014-05-24 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

That hydration belt looks good. I was looking at this one http://www.rei.com/product/842337/fuelbelt-r2outdoor-hydration-beltbut I think I like yours better. I have a couple of those camelback water bottles for my bike and their great.

I have a similar fuel belt. I only use it on runs that will be 80 min or more cuz I don't like taking it. I also have a camelback, but I never use it for running. I don't like the weight/heat on my back. It's good for mountain biking.

63 deg F is perfect! Enjoy that!

2014-05-24 11:03 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by brickbd 2014-05-24 11:07 PM

2014-05-25 1:57 AM

Pearland,Tx
@Marilyn

I saw your post re. heat acclimation , honestly i have been running close to 10 years here in Texas and we have one of those that hit 3 digits during the summer. There is really no way to acclimate to the heat. Your time will really suffer racing under the scorching sun. I try to get into races that have better weather conditions. Early am is usually best here to run mid 70s but very warm wind. I like your hydration setup might try it myself rather than having a 4Xbottle(8Oz.) fuel belt or my 2XBottle(9Oz.) Fuel belt. I also just run around a 3 mi loop around the park that has a fountain i can splash water on me. Goodluck!!!

@Shawn

Welcome!!!! , feel free to chime in here. Congrats on your first HIM and Planning on IM on the future. I took the big leap and signed up for IMTX'15. Do you have a specific IM in the future? Lets brainstorm and help each other cheers!!!

Still waiting for the other regulars to drop by!!!

Cheers!!!

2014-05-25 9:41 AM

Master
St. Louis

Yeah, I've tried both myfitnesspal and BT's nutrition log. The problem is that there's a big energy barrier to starting. I usually do OK for a day or so, but then it all falls apart because I made something in the crock pot and I have no idea how to log it. Like, making a recipe in the app takes a long time, and on top of that, then I don't have any good idea of how many servings there are in the pot anyway. I also feel like the estimate of my calorie expenditure especially, but also intake is so uncertain. Like one program will tell me I need 1800 cal/day and another will tell me 2500 cal/day. In any case, I know logging works well for some. I need to find some other approach...

I weigh myself every morning then make food/portion choices that day based on whether or not I'm maintaining or trending up. Not very scientific but it's as simple as it gets.
2014-05-25 9:44 AM

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Shawn!
2014-05-25 3:51 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by brickbd 2014-05-25 3:58 PM
2014-05-25 11:54 PM
in reply to: brickbd

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Welcome to the group Shawn.

Marilyn and Miche - I thought your discussion of your "Beast" hill being 3% was interesting so yesterday I had my computer on "grade" as I rode a 3:30 ride south to Osoyoos then up to the top of Richter Pass.  It's a 11.1km/6.9mi climb a bit over 1200'.  The climb starts out with a fairly long 3% grade and it was a pretty respectable climb worthy of respect.  Going up the hill took me 52 minutes for the 11km and I got up to 10% grade at times.  It's a real slow grind to the top then after a few minutes looking at "Spotted Lake" we turned and rode down the hill.  It only took 14 minutes to reach the bottom with lots of 50+ km/hr.  The descent was a lot more fun/scary than the climb.

On the way home after Richter there was a fun run along the road we were on and all the runners were in costumes and sampling wine at every winery along the road (MANY wineries around here - more than hundreds).  It was quite entertaining and helped the last half hour of the ride go by fast.

Just for anyone's interest - google "Spotted Lake" or "Spotted Lake in BC" and you should see images of the lake.  It is really interesting and unique. 

2014-05-26 12:35 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

Gold Coast, Australia

Very cool lake, that must have been quite a sight!

2014-05-26 12:41 AM

Pearland,Tx
Shawn

I think you wont have problems getting a slot at IMWI i was researching the bike leg of your IM and i dont know if this is accurate:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/madison-wi/ironman-wisconsin-2013-route...

Well at 5K+ FT of ascent its good we get to talk this out. I dont know where you are on your bike. I see this is a good opportunity to gain more sustained endurance on the saddle. IMWI have interesting hill climbs. Your IM Shawn seems to be bike focus on hills.

Fellas(Yes! You! too George since you brought up hill climbing) feel free to chime in what can best help Shawn. I believe he can accomplish his IM target with the right training.

IMTX is more forgiving at 1.6K + FT ascent. 12 months till race day.In preparation for my IM i am just doing maintenance on the run and swim , but on the bike focus on rolling hills im ddoing my best to do 100 mi spread out the week and one of them a long ride. If yo can tell me what you are doing i can also learn something to help out.

Cheers!!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-05-26 12:42 AM
2014-05-26 12:44 AM

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Shawn, welcome to the group . That's a pretty intense backstory you've got, there's a lot of training in that lot!

I've had a good morning in the pool today, I've started doing a squad morning with a real coach and my goodness, a coach pushes you a lot harder than you do yourself! 1 hour 45 min and I think we swam somewhere between 3.5 to 4 km, I lost track and my ability to think was absolutely fried afterwards. I'm recovering now and looking forward to the next one though

2014-05-26 7:24 AM
in reply to: brickbd

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by brickbd  CURRENT TRAINING: SEALFIT daily, swim and bike at least three times a week ( thats each) Die to the weather here in MN my tro bike just hit the road last week. THIS YEARS RACES / 2014 races: Buffalo triathlon june 1st, Graniteman Endurance Series ( total of three sprints), And heading out to Malibu in Sept to race in the Nautice Triahlon Sept 14th!!! Feel free to let me know if I left anything out!!!

Hi, Shawn, tell me more about Sealfit??  Is it like Crossfit?  I'm always looking for something new to keep the boredom at bay!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37660 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72982 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.