BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-05-26 9:14 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Marilyn

In Strength training to be significantly helpful how often in a week and how long should the minimum time i should spent in a day??

Thanks

Carlo

2014-05-26 11:26 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Anna - Stopping at the top of Richter Pass is always interesting.  Spotted Lake changes colours all year so it always looks different plus from the top we can view a few snow-capped Canadian and U.S. mountains.  Pretty decent view.  If we ride down behind Richter the area is really beautiful.  It always blows me away when I ride through the area.

Your swim sounds pretty intense but it will definitely be worthwhile.

Marilyn - For longer runs I go around our planned run route with the fellow I train with and we hide gatorades in strategic spots about every 4km or so.  I'm not a big fan of Gatorade but I tolerate it.  Just don't drink it if it is not sealed.  For shorter runs I drink water before and after the run.  I have used "Nuun" and I don't mind it but it is only good for providing electrolytes.  I also like "Shot Bloks" which are like soft jujubes although I don't always find it easy to eat while running.

Shawn - I'm not at all familiar with Minnesota but I grew up in Manitoba and your area may be quite similar so not a lot of big hills I'm guessing.  Because you sound like you have a good strength base you probably will not have too much trouble with hills but 5000' climbing is pretty hard and it will slow you down and possibly fatigue your legs leading to a slower run.  You should try to ride hills once a week.  Find as long and steep a hill as you can and just ride up then down and back up again and repeat.  You should also practice descending as well.  IMWI bike route looks like it has a lot of both.  You don't have to train on hills but it will help you.

2014-05-27 6:45 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by strykergt Marilyn In Strength training to be significantly helpful how often in a week and how long should the minimum time i should spent in a day?? Thanks Carlo

define "significantly helpful."  my expertise in weightlifting is getting swole, not getting fast!

2014-05-27 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by strykergt Marilyn In Strength training to be significantly helpful how often in a week and how long should the minimum time i should spent in a day?? Thanks Carlo

define "significantly helpful."  my expertise in weightlifting is getting swole, not getting fast!

Anything that helps me in riding up hill and sustaining long rides would 3 times a week every other day 1 hr. a day doing the strength exercises you mentioned be enough? im incorporating it on my training plan.

Edited by strykergt 2014-05-27 10:47 AM
2014-05-27 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by strykergt

Anything that helps me in riding up hill and sustaining long rides would 3 times a week every other day 1 hr. a day doing the strength exercises you mentioned be enough? im incorporating it on my training plan.

2 - 3 days a week just to continue adapting, less than that and you won't have any benefit.  i'm not quite sure what you would do for an hour, i get myself good and tired out in 20 - 30 minutes.  one of the things i miss about bodybuilding - the workouts don't take NEARLY as long as triathlon

2014-05-27 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

so the weekend of june 7/8 i have nothing really going on.  there are 2 local tris - should i do the cheaper sprint that is further away on sunday or the slightly more expensive but really close to home oly on saturday?  in case it matters, saturday's post-race food is pizza, sunday's is crab cakes.  HELP ME FIGURE OUT MY LIFE PLEASE.

also note the amount of purple and green in my logs...i have done the oly course and can swim and ride there all i want until that date.  the sprint course is completely new to me but also flat and easy.  

2014-05-27 2:35 PM

User image

I vote for the crab cakes! It's all about the post-race food, for sure!
2014-05-27 2:38 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

On a training note, I've been getting use to the TT bike now for a few weeks. Rides still under an hour. Getting off the bike is a relief, if you know what I mean (tingly, numb, a little sore). Is this normal and will it subside with time? I've been riding in my tri-shorts. Wondering if traditional bike shorts will improve the comfort. Any other tips would be appreciated.
2014-05-27 7:56 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi all! This has to be the most active BT forum around. I missed a handul of days and wack!!! Pages and pages of post to catch up on, and a new spot for the forum (how dare they archive us...).

Anyway, I'm back for another round. Here is a quick bio...

NAME: Chris

STORY: Got into triathlon a little more than 18 months ago. Not serious about it, but I love it! I have no background in any of the disciplines but I have always played some kind of sport. I'm never going to push for a podium, but I will always try to go futher or faster.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two ripping little units. One of each, 3 year old girl and five year old boy. I might nor have figured out the whole parenting thing yet (I know, I never will) but I think I am at least setting a good example for the kids by being active.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train when I can but nothing like what a "real" triathlete would be doing (average three/four times a week). Although I am paying more attention this year to my training.

I have spent the last year teaching myself how to run properly, and this year I am planing to spend more time on the bike whilst maintaining my running. Just don't ask me how much swim training I do...

2014 RACES: Locked in races include a Half Marathon in July, one sprint and one OD tri in November, OD in Jan 15 and HIM in Feb 15. Still deciding whether to shell out the cash to do another HIM this September.

WEIGHTLOSS: Never really been an issue for me, altough I am current trying to drop the three kg I gained after getting sick/injured shortly after the end of our last tri season. Another 1.75kg to go to get back to race weight (by the way, I saw a recent group post about using calorie trackers to help with weight loss... for what its worth, that's how I do it. When ever I want to drop a little weight I track what I eat. Nothing too serious but it works for me.)

2014-05-27 8:02 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-05-27 8:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by brickbd 2014-05-27 8:08 PM

2014-05-27 9:29 PM

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

On a training note, I've been getting use to the TT bike now for a few weeks. Rides still under an hour. Getting off the bike is a relief, if you know what I mean (tingly, numb, a little sore). Is this normal and will it subside with time? I've been riding in my tri-shorts. Wondering if traditional bike shorts will improve the comfort. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Make sure most of the pressure is on your sit bones. If you can't get to that point with your saddle, it might be time for a saddle upgrade. I switched to an Adamo road saddle after an issue that resulted in a couple doctor visits and a couple ultrasounds to make sure everything was ok. The things we done for this sport...

I've heard good things about the Cobb v-flow max too.
2014-05-27 9:34 PM

Master
St. Louis

so the weekend of june 7/8 i have nothing really going on.  there are 2 local tris - should i do the cheaper sprint that is further away on sunday or the slightly more expensive but really close to home oly on saturday?  in case it matters, saturday's post-race food is pizza, sunday's is crab cakes.  HELP ME FIGURE OUT MY LIFE PLEASE.

also note the amount of purple and green in my logs...i have done the oly course and can swim and ride there all i want until that date.  the sprint course is completely new to me but also flat and easy.  

If your logs are up to date, I'd do the sprint. An Oly without much swim and bike training can be a very long race.
2014-05-27 9:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

If the Sprint is only a bit farther away and they're serving Crab Cakes (never had one but they sound good) then go for the sprint.  Buuut(!) I am prejudiced in favour of Olys.  They're not too long, not too short but just right (if you're properly prepared).  I always feel like Sprints are over too fast.  All pizza is good but you can have pizza anytime.

Does that help?  Probably not, eh.  Whoa!  Why not do them both?  I didn't really mean to say that.  It just slipped out.

2014-05-27 10:53 PM
in reply to: cadnams

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by cadnams

Hi all! This has to be the most active BT forum around. I missed a handul of days and wack!!! Pages and pages of post to catch up on, and a new spot for the forum (how dare they archive us...).

Anyway, I'm back for another round. Here is a quick bio...

NAME: Chris

STORY: Got into triathlon a little more than 18 months ago. Not serious about it, but I love it! I have no background in any of the disciplines but I have always played some kind of sport. I'm never going to push for a podium, but I will always try to go futher or faster.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two ripping little units. One of each, 3 year old girl and five year old boy. I might nor have figured out the whole parenting thing yet (I know, I never will) but I think I am at least setting a good example for the kids by being active.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train when I can but nothing like what a "real" triathlete would be doing (average three/four times a week). Although I am paying more attention this year to my training.

I have spent the last year teaching myself how to run properly, and this year I am planing to spend more time on the bike whilst maintaining my running. Just don't ask me how much swim training I do...

2014 RACES: Locked in races include a Half Marathon in July, one sprint and one OD tri in November, OD in Jan 15 and HIM in Feb 15. Still deciding whether to shell out the cash to do another HIM this September.

WEIGHTLOSS: Never really been an issue for me, altough I am current trying to drop the three kg I gained after getting sick/injured shortly after the end of our last tri season. Another 1.75kg to go to get back to race weight (by the way, I saw a recent group post about using calorie trackers to help with weight loss... for what its worth, that's how I do it. When ever I want to drop a little weight I track what I eat. Nothing too serious but it works for me.)

Welcome back Chris!
2014-05-28 5:45 AM
in reply to: brickbd

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by brickbd I always vote for doing something new and out of th box. I know it is Sprint vs. Oly but nothing better than challenging yourself to something you have not done before. The course that is! By the way, if the course is "fast and easy" you should win is right!?!?! <------Theres a challenge for ya!

haha, i'll NEVER win a tri.  

2014-05-28 5:47 AM
in reply to: ransick

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ransick

If your logs are up to date, I'd do the sprint. An Oly without much swim and bike training can be a very long race.

i'm very comfortable with the swim but a 40k bike worries me a TINY bit...

2014-05-28 6:02 AM

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by ransick

i'm very comfortable with the swim but a 40k bike worries me a TINY bit...

Marilyn

Sister looks like your not going for a PR just choose which is more fun for you

Good luck!

2014-05-28 8:03 AM

Originally posted by strykergt

Marilyn

In Strength training to be significantly helpful how often in a week and how long should the minimum time i should spent in a day??

Thanks

Carlo

It would seem that it's the quality and consistency, not the quantity, per se. With all of the other SBR training you do, fitting it in can be the real challenge. I picked up some pretty neat and dynamic strength training sets at twotri.com. They have a bunch of recommended "time saving" exercises that combine multiple muscle groups in one. I've found them helpful.

What I do: I shoot for 15 min, 2 to 3 times a week. If I can hit the gym one time for a longer workout, that's great. There are also some strength exercises I try to go to as well that are aimed at swim injury prevention -- mostly strengthening the rotator cuff and supporting musculature as well as some core. I got those from the Total Immersion book, 2nd edition. Hope this helps.
2014-05-28 8:45 AM

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by PsyTri
It would seem that it's the quality and consistency, not the quantity, per se. With all of the other SBR training you do, fitting it in can be the real challenge. I picked up some pretty neat and dynamic strength training sets at twotri.com. They have a bunch of recommended "time saving" exercises that combine multiple muscle groups in one. I've found them helpful. What I do: I shoot for 15 min, 2 to 3 times a week. If I can hit the gym one time for a longer workout, that's great. There are also some strength exercises I try to go to as well that are aimed at swim injury prevention -- mostly strengthening the rotator cuff and supporting musculature as well as some core. I got those from the Total Immersion book, 2nd edition. Hope this helps.

exactly - said much more eloquently than i did.

2014-05-28 10:17 PM

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Chris, good to see the Aussie contingent still here!

Marilyn, spoilt for choice, or what!  Hmm, oly or sprint, sprint or oly... If you're happy with the distance, go the oly...more time to enjoy the day out.

2014-05-29 7:52 AM

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

speaking of spoilt for choices, i'm considering doing this BEAUTIFUL half marathon in tuscany while i'm in Italy for work this July:

http://skyrace.jimdo.com/

Crazy??  Possibly.  Entry is only 45 EUR and I'll be in country JUST in advance of the registration deadline (since you have to FAX the reg form, hahahaha)

Edited by mehaner 2014-05-29 7:53 AM
2014-05-29 10:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

I am allergic to crab, so I would pick the other one. Not helpful for you, Marilyn, I'm sure!

George - I'm sticking with 10% grade on my nemesis hill being about my limit. And it's only 0.2 mile long. Not sure I could keep it up much longer. I've done a little riding in Shenandoah in the Appalachian Mtns (not real mountains), and my conclusion was, "the things I know as hills are not real hills!' Fun to see bears and deer while riding though. 

I have been wrapped up in potty training my 2 yr old this week. He was super motivated and learned fast. I'm sure you all wanted to know that. Anyway, managed a few workouts, but going to have a busy weekend trying to get in some longer workouts.

...and I'm turning 40 next week! :/

2014-05-29 10:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

speaking of spoilt for choices, i'm considering doing this BEAUTIFUL half marathon in tuscany while i'm in Italy for work this July:

http://skyrace.jimdo.com/

Crazy??  Possibly.  Entry is only 45 EUR and I'll be in country JUST in advance of the registration deadline (since you have to FAX the reg form, hahahaha)

Sounds like an adventure! Do it and tell us how crazy it was!

2014-05-29 12:11 PM
in reply to: miche033

I'm giving consideration to TRYING to still register for the Nation's Tri in WDC on September 7. Trying to spec out the expenses and not sure the best way to fly with my bike. Any tips/tricks/advice? Thanks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37770 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73083 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.