BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-05-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open

Originally posted by PsyTri I'm giving consideration to TRYING to still register for the Nation's Tri in WDC on September 7. Trying to spec out the expenses and not sure the best way to fly with my bike. Any tips/tricks/advice? Thanks.

i can't believe that it's not sold out already!  that is a very popular race.  i've never flown with my bike so i have nothing there...

2014-05-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by PsyTri I'm giving consideration to TRYING to still register for the Nation's Tri in WDC on September 7. Trying to spec out the expenses and not sure the best way to fly with my bike. Any tips/tricks/advice? Thanks.

i can't believe that it's not sold out already!  that is a very popular race.  i've never flown with my bike so i have nothing there...

It may very well be sold out. I know that a couple weeks ago, they announced the addition of a Sprint race following the Oly.
2014-05-29 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri

It may very well be sold out. I know that a couple weeks ago, they announced the addition of a Sprint race following the Oly.

I did fly with my bike once and concluded it was a pain in the rear. I borrowed a bike box from a friend and flew from CA to IL with it. You could also get a cardboard box from a bike shop, I've heard. In any case, you have to totally take the bike apart: wheels, pedals, handlebars all have to come off. So you have to make sure you can put them back on in the same place/angle/height. You will probably need a pedal wrench for the pedals. (Handy to have one anyway.) And of course, the airline will charge you a pretty penny for it.

Funny story - when I put my bike back together I was really confused because when I was putting the front wheel back on, I could only find one spring. It seemed really odd to not have symmetric springs on either side of the wheel, but I just couldn't find the other one. So when I went to my race, I took the bike to the mechanic on site and asked him about it. He took off my wheel, grabbed the spring and pulled - it was both springs stuck together just right so I couldn't tell! Boy did I feel dumb. (And I will defensively add that I'm pretty adept mechanically!)

2014-05-29 9:18 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

speaking of spoilt for choices, i'm considering doing this BEAUTIFUL half marathon in tuscany while i'm in Italy for work this July:

http://skyrace.jimdo.com/

Crazy??  Possibly.  Entry is only 45 EUR and I'll be in country JUST in advance of the registration deadline (since you have to FAX the reg form, hahahaha)

Do it! Seems like you should be able to FAX from here with a google phone number, wi-Fi and a FAX program.
2014-05-29 10:09 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Marilyn - If the half marathon in Italy is logistically not too hard (to arrange and get to the start and back to where you are staying) I would definitely do it.  It at least looked very interesting.

Rebecca - Early Happy Birthday!!  And, Crap!!  You just reminded me our oldest girl turns 37 this year.  

All - I went out with my work out buddy this evening and hid some Gatorade's along our run route for tomorrow morning.  When we stopped at his turn around point there was a deer (doe) just 6 feet from his door so I backed my car up a few feet and he got out and hid his bottle and piled some grass over it.  I watched the deer the whole time and she never moved or flinched the whole time we were there.  She looked to be saying, "You can't see me."

At the next stop a huge bald eagle flew low overhead as we stopped at the last hiding spot. 

2014-05-29 10:28 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Back in "Old" Hashers and Mashers we had talked about nutrition a few weeks ago and I wanted to show this recipe for Date Energy Balls (We call them cat crunchies) but it took me until now to get the recipe from my wife.

Ingredients:

2 cups of almonds

1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

2 cups medjool dates, pitted and diced

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In large food processor, process the nuts and coconut until crumbly.

2. Add dates, vanilla, sea salt until a sticky uniform batter is formed.

3. Scoop mixture out and roll into balls (aiming for bite size).

4. Roll balls in coconut and then put them in freezer to harden for an hour.

Makes 24 to 30-ish. 

Put 3 or 4 in a sandwich bag to carry along on a bike or run.  Really tasty.

2014-05-30 5:45 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Back in "Old" Hashers and Mashers we had talked about nutrition a few weeks ago and I wanted to show this recipe for Date Energy Balls (We call them cat crunchies) but it took me until now to get the recipe from my wife.

Ingredients:

2 cups of almonds

1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

2 cups medjool dates, pitted and diced

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In large food processor, process the nuts and coconut until crumbly.

2. Add dates, vanilla, sea salt until a sticky uniform batter is formed.

3. Scoop mixture out and roll into balls (aiming for bite size).

4. Roll balls in coconut and then put them in freezer to harden for an hour.

Makes 24 to 30-ish. 

Put 3 or 4 in a sandwich bag to carry along on a bike or run.  Really tasty.

Mmmm, I'l be making these this weekend! (Then trying to keep them just for training...nah, that won't work!) I've been meaning to start toget some more good energy food recipies together. I've adapted a banana loaf recipie to become a protein recovery  meal, (freezes well, I just grab a slice out of the freezer when I head out training and that's the refuelling sorted) so I'll have to dig that recipie out and write it up.

2014-05-30 7:15 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by miche033

I did fly with my bike once and concluded it was a pain in the rear. I borrowed a bike box from a friend and flew from CA to IL with it. You could also get a cardboard box from a bike shop, I've heard. In any case, you have to totally take the bike apart: wheels, pedals, handlebars all have to come off. So you have to make sure you can put them back on in the same place/angle/height. You will probably need a pedal wrench for the pedals. (Handy to have one anyway.) And of course, the airline will charge you a pretty penny for it.

Funny story - when I put my bike back together I was really confused because when I was putting the front wheel back on, I could only find one spring. It seemed really odd to not have symmetric springs on either side of the wheel, but I just couldn't find the other one. So when I went to my race, I took the bike to the mechanic on site and asked him about it. He took off my wheel, grabbed the spring and pulled - it was both springs stuck together just right so I couldn't tell! Boy did I feel dumb. (And I will defensively add that I'm pretty adept mechanically!)

after reading stories like this - i would be most likely to go with a full service option like tri bike transport - they disassemble, ship, and rebuild your bike for you.  there are other similar companies i'm sure.  i've read glowing reviews here on BT.

2014-05-30 7:18 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Marilyn - If the half marathon in Italy is logistically not too hard (to arrange and get to the start and back to where you are staying) I would definitely do it.  It at least looked very interesting.

I will have a car...once my colleagues are back in the office i will have to ask them what they think (they are shut down on fridays and have a national holiday on monday).   I also have to figure out how to handle the medical release form, since it's in Italian not sure if I can just have the work clinic nurse, who doesn't speak italian but knows i can run a half marathon, sign off on it :-P

2014-05-30 10:05 AM

User image

Hello Group,
I'd like to join up.

Name: Trei - Todd

Story: Began in 2011 with my first marathon. First triathlons in 2012 (worked my way up to 70.3) - actually Mike was a big help to me in my first BT beginners group. And finished IM-WI last year.

Family Status: married with two preteen children

Current training: somewhat of a struggle: with the full Ironman now completed and with no real next goal I have not kept to a plan as well this year. I still am doing training and love doing it too, but without focus it is easier to talk myself into other things.

This Years Races: Completed Wisconsin Marathon on May 5th, Olympics on June 8th and June 22nd, Du on June 28th, HIM on July 20th, 2.1mile OWS on August 2nd, trail marathon Sept 20th and first ultra (50 mile) October 25th. Still considering one more marathon in October before the ultra.

Weight loss: not an issue for me. Nutritionally I am plant based.

Now I will go catch up on others posts.
2014-05-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: trei

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by trei Hello Group, I'd like to join up. Name: Trei - Todd Story: Began in 2011 with my first marathon. First triathlons in 2012 (worked my way up to 70.3) - actually Mike was a big help to me in my first BT beginners group. And finished IM-WI last year. Family Status: married with two preteen children Current training: somewhat of a struggle: with the full Ironman now completed and with no real next goal I have not kept to a plan as well this year. I still am doing training and love doing it too, but without focus it is easier to talk myself into other things. This Years Races: Completed Wisconsin Marathon on May 5th, Olympics on June 8th and June 22nd, Du on June 28th, HIM on July 20th, 2.1mile OWS on August 2nd, trail marathon Sept 20th and first ultra (50 mile) October 25th. Still considering one more marathon in October before the ultra. Weight loss: not an issue for me. Nutritionally I am plant based. Now I will go catch up on others posts.

Hi Todd!  I'm like you right now...floating around training with no plan...it's starting to get to me a tiny bit

2014-05-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Shawn,
Just to let you know... IM-WI sells out in one day. The best bet is to get down there this year to volunteer. Volunteers have first option to sign up for the next year (2105). And besides volunteering is great. The volunteer sign up is found by searching for volunteer Madison I think. I will likely be down there volunteering again (even though I have no plans to sign up for 2015) because it such a great event.

-Todd

- Also if interested and you'd like someone to ride the IM-WI loop with let me know. I will likely get down to do it a couple times this summer. I found it extremely beneficial to ride the course a number of times before the big day.

Edited by trei 2014-05-30 10:47 AM
2014-05-30 11:02 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by trei

Shawn,
Just to let you know... IM-WI sells out in one day. The best bet is to get down there this year to volunteer. Volunteers have first option to sign up for the next year (2105). And besides volunteering is great. The volunteer sign up is found by searching for volunteer Madison I think. I will likely be down there volunteering again (even though I have no plans to sign up for 2015) because it such a great event.

-Todd

- Also if interested and you'd like someone to ride the IM-WI loop with let me know. I will likely get down to do it a couple times this summer. I found it extremely beneficial to ride the course a number of times before the big day.

Welcome Todd!!!

Glad to have someone here who just finished IM i signed up myself for IMTX and the rolling hill is nowhere close to IMWI any advice on IM Training?? With the difficulty of IMWI why does it run out fast??? Any specific advice on hills training for IMWI?

Sorry to pick on your first day here

Thanks

2014-05-30 12:20 PM

User image

Shawn,

-Todd

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've really been around the block. You've had some amazing accomplishments. Have you joined your local tri club? Maybe the social aspect of it will freshen things up. Haven't looked at your race reports, but what about focusing on improvement goals? Moving up in the ranks, etc.?

Gary
2014-05-30 12:44 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Todd!
2014-05-30 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

so...anyone have any training/racing goals for the weekend?

it's supposed to be relatively cool here this weekend so i hope to get in a longish run tomorrow and longish ride on sunday.  

Goals for these workouts:  
Run:  5.3 mile loop <55min
Bike: 40k ride, no speed or time target, just time in the saddle.

Edited by mehaner 2014-05-30 1:38 PM

2014-05-30 1:31 PM

User image

Forecast is spotty. Hoping for good weather Saturday for an OWS meet-up with skill drills and a group swim. Sunday longish swim. Really hoping for some success in the kitchen with George's recipe! Shredding my own coconut - livin' on the wild side!

BTW, anyone else catch that webinar this week from triathlon research with Mark Allen? I also watched a YouTube clip about his 1989 championship at Kona. It was very inspirational! Using a lot of his shared wisdom to help me focus on the NOW in my training.

Edited by PsyTri 2014-05-30 1:41 PM
2014-05-30 6:14 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

Shawn,

-Todd

Welcome Todd!!!

Glad to have someone here who just finished IM i signed up myself for IMTX and the rolling hill is nowhere close to IMWI any advice on IM Training?? With the difficulty of IMWI why does it run out fast??? Any specific advice on hills training for IMWI?

Sorry to pick on your first day here

Thanks

As far as Ironman training advice...Be Consistent and enjoy the journey! I used Finks Ironfit competitive plan and it got me through just fine. I'm sure others would work just as well. The reason IMWI sells out so quick I think is for a number of reasons. As someone mentioned prior there are not a lot of other full IM opportunities in our area, its at a great time of year here in Wisconsin weather wise and it has great community support - lots of volunteers and fans cheering you on. The best advice I can give for the hills is to get on em'. I rode the full course three times and half the "loop" another 3 times. I admit in the beginning I thought I would just ride it once before the actual event, but a veteran who lives near Madison convinced me to ride it with him early in June and it whipped my butt, so I kept coming back until I eventually felt "comfortable".

I've heard it can be a little hot down at IMTX. You'll have to let me know how you deal with that! Each IM I think has it quirks.

-Todd
2014-05-30 6:26 PM

User image

Shawn,

-Todd

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've really been around the block. You've had some amazing accomplishments. Have you joined your local tri club? Maybe the social aspect of it will freshen things up. Haven't looked at your race reports, but what about focusing on improvement goals? Moving up in the ranks, etc.?

Gary

Gary,
I live in the backwoods. My closest Tri club is over an hour drive away. Like anything this has its good and bad points. I have some great training rides and runs right from my door, but not a lot of people to share it with. My wife is doing some short Tri's this year, but we don't train at the same pace. My goal this year is more balance between Tri training and family. My family really had to live without me for a good part of last year, so need to make up for it. Qualifying for the Boston marathon is my next goal, but love the cross training triathlon gives me so I don't overdo it running.

A long ride planned for tomorrow (longest of the year) and long run on Sunday. Yahoo!

-Todd

Edited by trei 2014-05-30 6:27 PM
2014-05-30 10:44 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

it's supposed to be relatively cool here this weekend so i hope to get in a longish run tomorrow and longish ride on sunday.  

Run:  5.3 mile loop <55min
Bike: 40k ride, no speed or time target, just time in the saddle.

Hopefully running both days. 10-12 miles one day and 3-5 the other. Besides that, lunch dates with DW, cooking out and maybe car shopping (which I hate).
2014-05-31 9:50 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Run:  5.3 mile loop Bike: 40k ride, no speed or time target, just time in the saddle.

missed my run time goal by 2 min

2014-05-31 11:17 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Run:  5.3 mile loop Bike: 40k ride, no speed or time target, just time in the saddle.

missed my run time goal by 2 min

Marilyn

Good Run today and B&R the other day you are ready for that Oly if ever you have not decided yet. The Skyrace you posted before looks interesting. I would do it given the opportunity. Training will be very interesting.

its close to noon i am still slacking to get on my bike or get wet.

Enjoy the rest of the day!

Cheers

2014-05-31 1:49 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Disappointing OWS today. Up really early to meet a new group, but their directions screwed me up and I missed over half of it by the time I got there. Was not warmed up and we did a medium long swim. Did not feel comfortable, water was a little choppy, I was the slowest, and I felt pretty unhappy with my stroke. The swim was the part I'd been feeling pretty good about lately. Put a damper on my confidence and it was hard to shake that feeling most of the day. Hitting the pool tomorrow and hoping for a better workout.
2014-05-31 5:44 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Disappointing OWS today. Up really early to meet a new group, but their directions screwed me up and I missed over half of it by the time I got there. Was not warmed up and we did a medium long swim. Did not feel comfortable, water was a little choppy, I was the slowest, and I felt pretty unhappy with my stroke. The swim was the part I'd been feeling pretty good about lately. Put a damper on my confidence and it was hard to shake that feeling most of the day. Hitting the pool tomorrow and hoping for a better workout.

That sucks. I would have been all pissed off by the time I got there which would have messed me up.
2014-05-31 6:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by ransick

That sucks. I would have been all pissed off by the time I got there which would have messed me up.

Thanks. I WAS quite pissed.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37903 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73271 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.