General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepping a Wetsuit for First Swim and First Race Use Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-22 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: Prepping a Wetsuit for First Swim and First Race Use

I've searched around the forum, and found some answers, but what are the kinds of prep I need to do for swimming with a new wetsuit for the first time, and then for racing with a wetsuit for the first time?  I saw some people recommending to soak the wetsuit.  How often should that be done, and for how long?  I was planning on taking it to the pool for a couple practice swims before the race in a week and half.  Chlorine probably isn't the best, but I need to get a feel for the suit, and how to put it on and take it off.  Does everyone use some type of body glide, or is it possible to get away without wearing it?

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-05-22 8:26 AM

2014-05-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Prepping a Wetsuit for First Swim and First Race Use
I did and do zero prep and don't use anything on my skin - I just put it on. Others with tighter suits may need to use something, but I never have. You should practice getting in and, especially, out a few times before your race as well as try and get an open water swim in versus pool if possible.

Good luck!
2014-05-22 8:35 AM

User image

Some time in the week before the race put the wetsuit in the tub with enough water in there to cover it. Leave it overnight or while you're at work. Then hang it up for a few hours.

Only needs done if you haven't worn the wetsuit in a few (3-6) months.

In the pool once or twice is fine. You'll feel like a dork and you will get hot QUICK but you'll get a feel for it. Rinse the hell out of it when you're done.

Wrists, forearms, calves and back of neck:
http://www.trisports.com/triswim-trislide-aerosol-skin-glide.html

Use a baggy over your feet to put the suit on. In addition to making it easier, you also avoid putting sand in the tight suit that will be rubbing your calves the whole swim.

2014-05-22 8:43 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pennsylvania

For the first race of the season (after not using it all winter), I usually soak my wetsuit in the tub for a few hours, then hang it in the basement to dry.  I rinse it with fresh water after every race and allow it to dry in the shade or in the basement, not in the sun.

Race day, I use TriSlide spray on my calves under the suit and also I spray some on my calves on the outside of the suit, the lower part.  I've found this helps the wetsuit to not stick to itself and rather will slide over itself and comes off much easier than without the spray on the outside.  My suit is sleeveless, so I don't put TriSlide anywhere else, but I suppose if I had a long sleeved one I'd do the same treatment.  I do hit my neck, collarbone and shoulders with Body Glide to prevent wetsuit hickeys, though.

2014-05-22 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Emile DeSoto posted a thread here on BT years ago.  (I haven't searched for the link.)

Think of the neoprene wetsuit like a sponge.  When the sponge is dry, it is hard and brittle.  When damp, it softens up considerably.  If your wetsuit is dry and brittle, it'll rip/crack as you try to put it on, hence soaking it in the days prior to use.  

Some people use body glide and/or plastic bags to help get the wetsuit on.  I usually roll the legs down so they are half inside-out.  I pull the leg over my foot and up my calf and then roll the wetsuit the rest of the way up my thigh.  I do the same for my arms.  I'll usually scoop some water into the wetsuit and shift things around before I start swimming.  

2014-05-22 12:34 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by DanielG Some time in the week before the race put the wetsuit in the tub with enough water in there to cover it. Leave it overnight or while you're at work. Then hang it up for a few hours. Only needs done if you haven't worn the wetsuit in a few (3-6) months. In the pool once or twice is fine. You'll feel like a dork and you will get hot QUICK but you'll get a feel for it. Rinse the hell out of it when you're done. Wrists, forearms, calves and back of neck: http://www.trisports.com/triswim-trislide-aerosol-skin-glide.htmlUse a baggy over your feet to put the suit on. In addition to making it easier, you also avoid putting sand in the tight suit that will be rubbing your calves the whole swim.

Ya, I'm pretty sure I'll feel like a dork.  But a dork with a PURPOSE.  That makes it all better, right?

Besides soaking and proper rinsing, what are other things to know for wetsuit care?

Some people talk about trimming the leg length on wetsuits.  What is that about, and what are the guidelines?

2014-05-22 12:49 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I always make sure I trim my fingernails before pulling my suit on.  Nothing will damage it quicker than fingernail cuts.

As far as the pool goes, possible dorkiness and overheating would be my only concern.  I think the effects of chlorine are greatly exaggerated and border on urban myth.  If you rinse off after use you should be fine.  I have a pair of Xterra Lava pants which are basically wetsuit bottoms that I have worn in the pool 33 times over the last four months and they are as supple as the day I bought them.  I will report back when they should signs of damage but I would guess that it would be a lifetime compared to whatever occasional use someone might have for using a full wetsuit in the pool.

There have been a number of recent posts on cutting a wetsuit and while I have not done it yet I plan to.  Just cut a little at a time and test to see where that point is where the effort to remove has decreased to your satisfaction.  Most wetsuits have some tape over the seams that extent up from the edge.  I would not cut beyond that tape.  My Lava pants came at a length just above the base of my calf and they are sooo easy to remove compared to a full length.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepping a Wetsuit for First Swim and First Race Use Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Wetsuit, First Swim!?

Started by herkimer81
Views: 923 Posts: 7

2013-02-24 4:48 PM jdl2012

First non wetsuit race swim -- help

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1597 Posts: 13

2012-08-10 10:35 AM Mike_D

Used a wetsuit fornthe first time.......

Started by Live2ski
Views: 1811 Posts: 23

2012-01-25 3:07 PM SCamp07

First Swim in a Wetsuit - First Swimming Lesson

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1564 Posts: 7

2010-06-07 1:43 PM lvthgme

First Race-Prep Brick Today - YAY ME!

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 856 Posts: 4

2010-05-23 10:02 AM wee scotty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
In part one the focus was the packing phase of a race. Here are a few more ideas to help with a successful race.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 5
As race day apporaches anxiety builds. Don't let packing add to that list of worries. Part 1 is a checklist compiled by many that I have used on race day.