BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Summer Edition - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2014-06-10 5:22 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Summer Edition - OPEN
thanks Dirk.... Does it really make a difference lifting the front wheel on the trainer? I'll try it tomorrow as part of my bike recovery ride.....

yes this weekend is pretty cool route.... they added a few more stops because we have a bunch of new people doing their first long ride.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1314273

I agree with you on the swim - the cutting through part.. I'll have an opportunity to do that at the end of the Month at Challenge Atlantic City if the opportunity arises.

I didn't run 12 the day before. more like 6 - but I get the point. I have a recovery week this week and back at it next week. I definitely need to get more strength training in also....

2014-06-11 4:50 AM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Holy cow!!!!  No one from south Florida is ever allowed to tell me it's flat up here!  Ever!!  130 miles on the bike and a total of 142 feet of elevation change???  I know it's flat but isn't there a bridge or something?  Maybe a few speed bumps?  Man that is flat!  Now, with it begin flat down there I know there's wind and you can use that to a training advantage that can help with hill climbing.  Just try to plan rides where you know you're going to be facing the wind for long stretches and you'll get something similar to long, steady climbs.

As far as the riser on your bike, I think it does make a difference.  What makes it help is that it engages different muscles and/or the same muscles in a different way.  You can also add height to the riser by putting other things under the front too.  I know a few serious MTB'ers that do that.  One of them has been known to put a milk crate under his front and ride crazy intervals.

2014-06-11 4:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Yep....it's flat.. we're avoiding the speed bumps on this ride to avoid nose bleeds

The total elevation for the Challenge Atlantic City 140.6 is 775 ft.

I'll get some height for the trainer and keep you posted as to how its going.

2014-06-11 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
The Flo sale is tomorrow. I believe you all know my biking ability and what I am working on would purchasing a set of these be beneficial right now and if so which would you recommend.
2014-06-11 1:41 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Chris congrats again on having a great first race. Sounds like you had a great time and did very well. You learn a lot the first time out and you can take that with you for the next race and improve upon your time. The more you race the better you'll get at it.

John I'm very sorry to hear about the bike accident. Thank God it wasn't more serious. I've been there and it is scary enough to go through the experience and painful as you are well aware. I hope you are feeling better and take it slow even with the upcoming race. Better to get heathly first then push yourself if you're not 100%. You may also want to stay out of the water for a week especially for any OWS and let your cuts scab over before you start swimming again. You don't want to risk infection or have any set backs.

Matt great job at the 10K this past weekend. Just the fact that you woke up and ran it at all after a night out is impressive. Seriously that was a smokin fast time. You did an awesome job pacing yourself for the entire race. Congrats on the PR.

Dirk glad to hear that you are easing back into your running. You are putting up some huge hours on the bike and in the water. Holy cow I see your swim totals and I'm thinking geez I need to be swimming a lot more than I am. I think all the work you're doing is more than going to make up for your lack of running right now. You're going be in great shape by the time your IM rolls around.

Terry congrats on the HIM PR. That's pretty impressive to shave over an hour off your previous time. I know things didn't go totally the way that you expected them to but I think you really had a great race. You can continue to improve on your perfomance at this distance.

For me I've been so busy with doing the juggling act trying to balance out work, family, training and all the other things I need to do I just haven't been able to keep up lately. I feel like it has been much busier and harder the second time around training for an IM. I've not had as much flexibility as I had last season where I was able to swim in the morning and still get a workout in the evening. This year I've been doing it all in the evening except for the weekends so it's been more challenging for me. The EN plan is definitely much harder then what I did last year and the people I'm training with have been kicking my butt and keeping me honest which has been a tremendous help.

I'm definitely in the dog days of training now with less then 10 weeks to go now. Some days it's like why did I decide to do this again this year and other days I'm really looking for to the challenge of IMMT and getting to race day. The good thing is my training is going very well. I've improved my swim, bike and run and feel like I've set myself up to have a really good race this year. So for now I'm just trying to stay focused and keep working hard so I get through the next 10 weeks healthy and ready to go.

First race is coming up the weekend after next, Syracuse 70.3 and I'm honestly not sure what to expect. I've been so busy with everything else going on I just really haven't had time to think about it. I've also heard that they changed the run course and made it harder then it already was. I'm not sure how that is possible and I'm hoping that's not the case but I'm gonna find out soon enough. Looking forward to finally getting a race in.

2014-06-11 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by tmoons

Yep....it's flat.. we're avoiding the speed bumps on this ride to avoid nose bleeds

The total elevation for the Challenge Atlantic City 140.6 is 775 ft.

I'll get some height for the trainer and keep you posted as to how its going.

Terry just a heads up on Challenge AC, yes it is very flat but it can be very windy. There are wind farms down there. I have a friend here doing the full as well and three of my training partners are going to do the aqua/bike. They've all mentioned that they do expect to have to deal with the wind on the bike course.

2014-06-11 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Jo63

The Flo sale is tomorrow. I believe you all know my biking ability and what I am working on would purchasing a set of these be beneficial right now and if so which would you recommend.

JoAnne IMO the FLO wheels would probably give you a smoother ride over the wheels you currently have which I am guessing you got with your bike and they would probably gain you some time savings on the bike course. How much really depends on the individual. That would be measured in minutes not hours. That would also be what you'd have to take into consideration for the expense of the wheels. I will say the FLO's are a pretty good deal for the price. You could go with a 60 front and 60 rear or 60 front and 90 rear. I think 90 front and 90 rear is overkill but it's up to you. I was going to get 60's for the front and rear but as you know missed out and got the Zipp 60's instead.
2014-06-11 9:17 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
My week just took a turn for the better, I was able to get my bike back from the repair shop early, and even though my wallet is much lighter my bike is back to top condition and rides great. Plus I was able to sneak my way into a race on Sunday, this is the 1st race I did 3 years back and I thought I was going to miss out on it this year. But the stars aligned and I have to pick my daughter up from gma's on Sunday, which is just 30 minutes from the race sight. So I told the wife I would sacrifice my day and do the 2 1/2 hr drive to pick her up. Of course i am going to leave extremely early and take a detour on the way
2014-06-11 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I've more or less spent the last few days laying down or at least reclined and leaning on my right side.

The wounds on my right side, my back, and my left shin are all healing well. The back/underside of my left arm is just a mess and still oozing constantly. The bruising on my left hip and butt cheek has shown itself to more or less run from knee to butt and it is extremely painful all of the time. I'm having a lot of trouble even walking with the pain. The open wound on my left hip/butt cheek is about the size of my hand with fingers slightly spread. No signs of that one healing up anytime soon either and the daily bandage changes take quite a while. 

I'm hopeful that things will heal up enough in the next week to allow me to get back out and run again, but right now all movement is pretty minimal. 

Right now the current joke is that asphalt is made of Kryptonite around here.

2014-06-12 8:04 AM

User image

NH
Terry, I'm going to offer a little different concept of the hills and riding races in general. Riding in hills isn't anything really mystical, it's all about knowing that you have to ride by effort and not speed. When your on the flats, even if there's wind, it's really all about watts. With wind the aero part is more important, but watts is still the key. Once the road tips up, it's all about watts/kg. So the denominator matters a lot once the hills happen. Notice the best Tour riders in the hills aren't the big power guys, it's the twiggy guys. Do as I say and not as I do on this one, as I can't seem to get my kg under control this year!

Also, hills mean slower, sometimes MUCH slower, if your are going at the same effort. For a time trial ride like a triathlon, keeping steady power is the key to success, not only in getting your best bike split but also your best run afterwards. Like some coaches say you want to flatten the course. Monitoring speed isn't going to give you an even effort at all. As an example, riding a steady watts for me this weekend showed that at times on flats I was at 22.5, but on some what people call "rollers" I would be more like 10. On extreme hills it's obvious, but the tricky part if that even small hills or false flats can dramatically impact speed if you hold steady watts, so if you're chasing a number on the speed dial you can seriously cook your bike. Just a slightly different angle to think about. Awesome race, btw, even if you see lots of room for more time savings. an hour PR is no joke.

Joanne, FLOs are a great value in the wheel space. That said, wheels are very expensive for the gains you get. There's no doubt that race wheels are faster than trainers, so it's a matter of where you want to spend the money. And race wheels do look awesome and make you feel like a badazz triathlete. I love mine. Do you have an aero helmet? That would likely be more time savings at a fraction of the cost, if you don't mind looking like a tri geek! And a good bike fit that allows you to remain in the most aero position you can hold for the full duration is probably the best time gain you can make. Notice I didn't say the most aero position because it doesn't matter how aero your fit is if the position isn't comfortable for a long enough period to hold the entire race. I actually have two different positions for a sprint and a half, because even though the sprint setup is super aero, there's no way I could stay in that position for the majority of 2 1/2+ hours.
2014-06-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

NH
Originally posted by JonnyVero

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I've more or less spent the last few days laying down or at least reclined and leaning on my right side.

The wounds on my right side, my back, and my left shin are all healing well. The back/underside of my left arm is just a mess and still oozing constantly. The bruising on my left hip and butt cheek has shown itself to more or less run from knee to butt and it is extremely painful all of the time. I'm having a lot of trouble even walking with the pain. The open wound on my left hip/butt cheek is about the size of my hand with fingers slightly spread. No signs of that one healing up anytime soon either and the daily bandage changes take quite a while. 

I'm hopeful that things will heal up enough in the next week to allow me to get back out and run again, but right now all movement is pretty minimal. 

Man that all sounds painful, though it's good to hear you are healing up. Keep the attitude up, I know it's hard when you're recuperating.

2014-06-12 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by strikyr

Chris congrats again on having a great first race. Sounds like you had a great time and did very well. You learn a lot the first time out and you can take that with you for the next race and improve upon your time. The more you race the better you'll get at it.

John I'm very sorry to hear about the bike accident. Thank God it wasn't more serious. I've been there and it is scary enough to go through the experience and painful as you are well aware. I hope you are feeling better and take it slow even with the upcoming race. Better to get heathly first then push yourself if you're not 100%. You may also want to stay out of the water for a week especially for any OWS and let your cuts scab over before you start swimming again. You don't want to risk infection or have any set backs.

Matt great job at the 10K this past weekend. Just the fact that you woke up and ran it at all after a night out is impressive. Seriously that was a smokin fast time. You did an awesome job pacing yourself for the entire race. Congrats on the PR.

Dirk glad to hear that you are easing back into your running. You are putting up some huge hours on the bike and in the water. Holy cow I see your swim totals and I'm thinking geez I need to be swimming a lot more than I am. I think all the work you're doing is more than going to make up for your lack of running right now. You're going be in great shape by the time your IM rolls around.

Terry congrats on the HIM PR. That's pretty impressive to shave over an hour off your previous time. I know things didn't go totally the way that you expected them to but I think you really had a great race. You can continue to improve on your perfomance at this distance.

For me I've been so busy with doing the juggling act trying to balance out work, family, training and all the other things I need to do I just haven't been able to keep up lately. I feel like it has been much busier and harder the second time around training for an IM. I've not had as much flexibility as I had last season where I was able to swim in the morning and still get a workout in the evening. This year I've been doing it all in the evening except for the weekends so it's been more challenging for me. The EN plan is definitely much harder then what I did last year and the people I'm training with have been kicking my butt and keeping me honest which has been a tremendous help.

I'm definitely in the dog days of training now with less then 10 weeks to go now. Some days it's like why did I decide to do this again this year and other days I'm really looking for to the challenge of IMMT and getting to race day. The good thing is my training is going very well. I've improved my swim, bike and run and feel like I've set myself up to have a really good race this year. So for now I'm just trying to stay focused and keep working hard so I get through the next 10 weeks healthy and ready to go.

First race is coming up the weekend after next, Syracuse 70.3 and I'm honestly not sure what to expect. I've been so busy with everything else going on I just really haven't had time to think about it. I've also heard that they changed the run course and made it harder then it already was. I'm not sure how that is possible and I'm hoping that's not the case but I'm gonna find out soon enough. Looking forward to finally getting a race in.

Oh man.... I can't imagine that course being any harder I am defefnitly looking forward to hearing about it
2014-06-12 7:32 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by JonnyVero

i hope things get better quickly for you!
2014-06-13 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Man everyone must be busy training

I think Matt and Brenda are racing this weekend?? Good luck to both of you!!!!!!
2014-06-15 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's here. Hope you guys have a great day.

I'm totally smoked after this weekend's training, 5 hour 78 mile hills ride yesterday 16 Oakwood hill repeats. Today it was 3.5 hours into the wind most of the ride for another 65 miles followed by a 30 minute run. I'm so done thankfully next week is sort of a taper week for Syracuse so I'll catch a break I really need it. Otherwise training is going pretty well. Hope it's the same for everyone else.
2014-06-15 7:29 PM

User image

NH
Awesome weekend of riding Tony.

Ok, I'm coming clean. I've been nursing/rehabbing an injury hoping it would magically go away, but it's not doing o great. Jeff can empathize and yell at me. I mentioned a shoulder problem which seemed to come up after sleeping, but it just kept getting worse and worse, so I felt like it had to be a bit more serious. It turns out I have a separated shoulder, type III, which means some tearing of the ac and cc joints and the collarbone is pretty unstable, but not as severe as some separations. This type used to be handled by surgery, but they've since found that non-surgical methods have been equally effective without the risks, so I'm going to try the rehab approach at least for the summer. Apparently what I have appears to be more of a chronic injury (probably from hockey at some point), but was recently made worse/re-injured either during the training for or during the bonefrog event itself. Since separations are almost always an acute injury, it is very strange but I've never noticed nor have had the bump on my shoulder pointed out before, but it's really obvious now and it is incredibly painful when my arm is in certain positions or placed under certain loads.

Anyway, I'm undergoing rehab, and it's getting better, albeit at a very slow pace. There is no way I could swim right now as I can't raise my arm over my head, which isn't a big deal for training as you all may have guessed by now, but I'm afraid that doing any triathlons this year, particularly a half, might be tough to manage. I am clear to bike and run, within pain tolerance, so I'm not breaking any "rules" by training.

I took the tri bike out for the first time tonight to try the aero bars, and it's not going to be fun next weekend in the bars. I'm scheduled to do a relay with boys, so I'll only be biking. I am definitely doing the race, but I may just not be in aero very much. We'll see how it feels after another week of rehab and recovery.

I know Jeff made some swim modifications when he was recovering from a shoulder problem, so if anyone remembers what he did, or if you come on Jeff, I'd be interested and I'll try it when I'm capable of reaching over my head.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great father's day and happy training.

2014-06-15 8:12 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Warren, that sucks on the shoulder but you are taking the right steps by limiting the use and going through re-hab. I had a bone head move back in high school that resulted in me jumping from a moving truck and tore my shoulder up pretty good. At the time I thought it was nothing and never mentioned it, well it took over 7 years before it finally stopped being an issue, in other words its better to take care of it now
2014-06-15 8:17 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
As promised on Facebook, here are more details of today's race, I didn't realize at the time because the slip that printed was incorrect but I came in 40th overall out of 193 racers and 4th in my AG. I missed the podium by 20s, seriously 20s I don't even where this guy was I don't remember seeing much for anyone in front of me.(I can't get the thing to link so you will have to copy and paste)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=518335&posts=1&page=1#M5012596
2014-06-16 6:08 PM

Hi ,

I am wondering if your group is still open for new people to sign up?
2014-06-16 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
2014-06-16 7:10 PM
in reply to: lincoln7825

User image

NH
Originally posted by lincoln7825

Hi ,

I am wondering if your group is still open for new people to sign up?

Absolutely. Jump in.

2014-06-16 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by wbayek
Originally posted by lincoln7825Hi , I am wondering if your group is still open for new people to sign up?
Absolutely. Jump in.
Welcome to the group!
2014-06-16 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
On Sunday after my race I spent some time out on the bike course cheering for riders. The corner I was on had different directions for different riders, the OLY riders would make a left turn and continue on and the HIM riders would go straight through the intersection, down to a turn around at some point down the road, turn around and come back to the intersection where they would then make a right turn and continue on. There was a volunteer sitting there with a radio and a sheriff (who looked more like my gma) minding the traffic. A perfect set-up to control traffic right? Nope! The sheriff spent the majority of the time facing the direction the OLY riders were coming from and did not pay attention to the HIM riders coming from the turn around. So when a car came up she looked towards the OLY direction and if no one was coming she waved the car through, without even checking if someone was coming on the bike from the other direction. On at least 3 different occasions a car was waved through the intersection with a rider coming up to the turn and on one the rider was already entering the turn. Luckily both the car and rider seen each other in time and turned away from each other but it was definitely a scary moment.

In short, I realized that even though the turns are manned and there is someone out there running traffic you still need to pay attention and confirm all is clear, even in a race before making a turn. I think I have always done this but watching this first hand, just re confirmed that we need to be vigilant and pay attention at all times.

Be Safe Junkies!
2014-06-17 4:47 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Definitely a good point for everyone Matt.  It is rare that I am not checking for traffic at intersections.  When alone on a bike ride people entering the roadway from driveways or parking lots can be big problems, so always be alert.  I'm pretty sure people don'e realize how fast we are going on our bicycles.  MAny times my cautiousness pulls me up from my aero's and into a ready position with my fingers on the brake levers just in case the driver doesn't seem to want to wait.  I can think of 2 incidents where this occured and I had to swerve in one instance and brake hard in another, luckily nothing happened in either.

2014-06-17 5:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
I do the same thing Dirk. Head always on a swivel, and if I see a car looking to merge onto my road from another, or a driveway etc. I usually come out of aero. Especially if it's a training ride. Not point in risking my life because some drivers don't like to pay attention. Also the number of elderly drives around here is pretty high and often times they become pretty nervous around bikes and they seem to make matters worse. Be smart and stay safe!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Summer Edition - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by parrj
Views: 10991 Posts: 133

2014-11-25 4:21 PM ARtridad74

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?