Other Resources The Political Joe » California shooting...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-05-28 10:52 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Subject: RE: California shooting......
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

But...I think you also have to address the elephant in the room, as well, which is, of course, guns. Preventing mass shootings is a complicated endeavor, and I don't think it's possible to have a realistic discussion about it without at least broaching the subject. I agree with you 100% that you have to address the individual first, and foremost, and that simply restricting guns nationwide will have little to no effect, but, to the extent that we're talking about targeting specific individuals through improved psychiatric protocols, better cooperation between doctors/social workers/police, etc, I think it's also worth discussing how we limit such people's access to their constitutionally protected right to bear arms.

Does part of getting these people whom we've identified as being potentially harmful to themselves and others the help they need, also include preventing them from getting guns? What about taking away the guns they already have? What about if those guns technically belong to someone else, but the individual in question may have access to them? The Newtown killer famously took his mother's legally-owned guns, killed her, and then carried out his mass murder. If, hypothetically, we could develop mental health protocols that would have identified him as potentially harmful to others, would you be ok with taking away his mother's guns in order to prevent his access to them?

Your next door neighbour was a fugitive from justice so we're going to search your house without warrant just to ensure the safety of the town.

Until you agree to that, you might want to stop pushing to ignore other parts of the constitution.

If you want to change it, fine. Do so. There are at least two ways to change, alter, delete, or otherwise do away with the individual right to keep and bear arms. Ignoring the amendment is not one of them.

2014-05-28 10:59 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by austhokie not quite as closely related to an incident as you LB, but I knew many people injured and one who was killed in the Virginia Tech shootings a few years ago. With that perpetrator there was also people who said he wasn't right; professors who had brought up issues after having him in an English class and many other multiple issues - but those warnings, concerns went unheeded until 32 people died and then it was, oh yeah, him, there was something wrong about him... but I don't know how to address the issue - you are right about needing to find/or attempt to find the root cause without resorting to medication, but with the continued stigma of mental health and mental health treatment then i fear it will continue

I'm sorry for the people you knew who were killed, that sucks. 

Your point is a good one, and it fits.  In most of these cases there are people who say, "yeah, him, no kidding".  We can already rule out women....they are apparently not that stupid.  So how do we keep whittling away at this until we can make some identifications based on articulable facts?  It CAN be done, we can absolutely prevent some of this.

You're talking about "profiling", which, to be honest, I'm kind of ok with to a degree. I know that there are all kinds of issues around civil liberties and those aren't to be entirely discounted, but "profiling" when it's done by trained professionals who can analyze real behavioral data and make educated predictions about potential risky behavior is probably more effective and less invasive that the kind of approach we're using now, which is to say, treating everyone like they're exactly the same, even though they're clearly not. But...I think you also have to address the elephant in the room, as well, which is, of course, guns. Preventing mass shootings is a complicated endeavor, and I don't think it's possible to have a realistic discussion about it without at least broaching the subject. I agree with you 100% that you have to address the individual first, and foremost, and that simply restricting guns nationwide will have little to no effect, but, to the extent that we're talking about targeting specific individuals through improved psychiatric protocols, better cooperation between doctors/social workers/police, etc, I think it's also worth discussing how we limit such people's access to their constitutionally protected right to bear arms. Does part of getting these people whom we've identified as being potentially harmful to themselves and others the help they need, also include preventing them from getting guns? What about taking away the guns they already have? What about if those guns technically belong to someone else, but the individual in question may have access to them? The Newtown killer famously took his mother's legally-owned guns, killed her, and then carried out his mass murder. If, hypothetically, we could develop mental health protocols that would have identified him as potentially harmful to others, would you be ok with taking away his mother's guns in order to prevent his access to them?

I am absolutely talking about profiling.  There is a common misconception that rpofiling is illegal.  It's not.  Racial Profiling is illegal, criminal profiling is not.  i.e. - I can't stop you because you are black, or hispanic, or whatever because I believe black or hispanic people commit certain crimes, so now I'll stop you to see if you are a criminal just because you are black.

I can, however, stop you on reasonable suspicion that you are planning or in the act of commiting a crime......and part of my reasonable suspicion can absolutely be based on my prior experience of the actions of people commiting those criimes.  So......profiling these killers is perfectly reasonable and legal.

Your last sentence..........yes, I'm afraid I would be OK with that until such time as she could prove that they were locked in a manner that he did not have access to them.  I have a lot of guns.......nobody has access to them in my household except me.  Nobody.

2014-05-28 11:13 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

It seems at least some of the legislators are looking in the right direction, and in the direction your thread is debating.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Isla-Vista-rampage-adds-urgency...
2014-05-28 12:03 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG It seems at least some of the legislators are looking in the right direction, and in the direction your thread is debating. http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Isla-Vista-rampage-adds-urgency...

There really is no choice.

2014-05-28 12:53 PM

User image

Originally posted by DanielG It seems at least some of the legislators are looking in the right direction, and in the direction your thread is debating. http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Isla-Vista-rampage-adds-urgency...

The discussion between HIPAA and the NICS is going to be an interesting one for quite a while.

Medical privacy activists are going to end up having kittens if there's any significant change in the reporting requirements.

2014-05-28 1:21 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG

The discussion between HIPAA and the NICS is going to be an interesting one for quite a while. Medical privacy activists are going to end up having kittens if there's any significant change in the reporting requirements.

Absolutely, but too bad.  HIPPA has been ridiculous anyway.....and has never protected anyone as intended.  All it has really done is protect people who are dangerous to others for one reason or another.

2014-05-28 6:00 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

But...I think you also have to address the elephant in the room, as well, which is, of course, guns. Preventing mass shootings is a complicated endeavor, and I don't think it's possible to have a realistic discussion about it without at least broaching the subject. I agree with you 100% that you have to address the individual first, and foremost, and that simply restricting guns nationwide will have little to no effect, but, to the extent that we're talking about targeting specific individuals through improved psychiatric protocols, better cooperation between doctors/social workers/police, etc, I think it's also worth discussing how we limit such people's access to their constitutionally protected right to bear arms.

Does part of getting these people whom we've identified as being potentially harmful to themselves and others the help they need, also include preventing them from getting guns? What about taking away the guns they already have? What about if those guns technically belong to someone else, but the individual in question may have access to them? The Newtown killer famously took his mother's legally-owned guns, killed her, and then carried out his mass murder. If, hypothetically, we could develop mental health protocols that would have identified him as potentially harmful to others, would you be ok with taking away his mother's guns in order to prevent his access to them?

Your next door neighbour was a fugitive from justice so we're going to search your house without warrant just to ensure the safety of the town.

Until you agree to that, you might want to stop pushing to ignore other parts of the constitution.

If you want to change it, fine. Do so. There are at least two ways to change, alter, delete, or otherwise do away with the individual right to keep and bear arms. Ignoring the amendment is not one of them.

Calm down, Daniel, I'm not "pushing" anything, I'm just asking a legitimate question posed by LeftBrain's scenario. The gun lobby is constantly
making the point that a more effective mental health system would be more effective at preventing mass shootings than restricting guns across the board. And, for the record, I agree with them. But, even assuming we figure out how better to identify the people among us who are potential killers, we still then need to deal with how to prevent them from getting their hands on one of the millions of guns currently in circulation. It's not an unreasonable suggestion that to do that might involve restricting or even depriving some law-abiding people access to their guns.

I'll go back to my previous example: if, using LB's hypothetical system that allows us to identify potentially violent mentally ill people, we determined that a person who was living in a home that held a number of legally-obtained guns belonging to another family member was potentially violent, you're saying that you wouldn't be in favor of removing those guns from the home until it could be determined that the mentally ill person couldn't get to them?
2014-05-28 7:07 PM

User image

The discussion between HIPAA and the NICS is going to be an interesting one for quite a while. Medical privacy activists are going to end up having kittens if there's any significant change in the reporting requirements.

Absolutely, but too bad.  HIPPA has been ridiculous anyway.....and has never protected anyone as intended.  All it has really done is protect people who are dangerous to others for one reason or another.

Now here's something interesting:

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/hus11.txt

Highlights

* The U.S. homicide rate declined by nearly half (49%),
from 9.3 homicides per 100,000 U.S. residents in 1992 to
4.7 in 2011, falling to the lowest level since 1963.

* From 2002 to 2011, the average homicide rate for males
was 3.6 times higher than the rate for females. The
average homicide rate for blacks was 6.3 times higher than
the rate for whites.

* From 2002 to 2011, young adults ages 18 to 24 had the
highest homicide rate of any age group and experienced the
greatest rate decline (down 22%) over the 10-year period,
from 15.2 per 100,000 in 2002 to 11.9 in 2011.

* The rate of homicides involving a firearm decreased by
49% from 1992 to 2011, while the percentage of homicide
victims killed by a firearm (67%) remained stable.

* Large cities of 100,000 or more residents experienced
the largest decline (23%) in homicide rates from 2002 to
2011, compared to communities with less than 100,000
residents.

* From 2002 to 2011, the majority (95%) of homicide
incidents involved a single victim. In 2011, 66% of
homicides with a single victim involved a firearm,
compared to 79% of homicide incidents with multiple
victims.
2014-05-28 10:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Now here's something interesting:

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/hus11.txt

Highlights

* The U.S. homicide rate declined by nearly half (49%),
from 9.3 homicides per 100,000 U.S. residents in 1992 to
4.7 in 2011, falling to the lowest level since 1963.

* From 2002 to 2011, the average homicide rate for males
was 3.6 times higher than the rate for females. The
average homicide rate for blacks was 6.3 times higher than
the rate for whites.

* From 2002 to 2011, young adults ages 18 to 24 had the
highest homicide rate of any age group and experienced the
greatest rate decline (down 22%) over the 10-year period,
from 15.2 per 100,000 in 2002 to 11.9 in 2011.

* The rate of homicides involving a firearm decreased by
49% from 1992 to 2011, while the percentage of homicide
victims killed by a firearm (67%) remained stable.

* Large cities of 100,000 or more residents experienced
the largest decline (23%) in homicide rates from 2002 to
2011, compared to communities with less than 100,000
residents.

* From 2002 to 2011, the majority (95%) of homicide
incidents involved a single victim. In 2011, 66% of
homicides with a single victim involved a firearm,
compared to 79% of homicide incidents with multiple
victims.

So, the decline in homicides nationwide is being driven by the precipitous drop in homicides in large cities (where gun laws tend to be more stringent and gun ownership less common).

That is interesting. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
2014-05-28 10:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Crime is down.  That can't be argued. 

I remain troubled by the idea that you can be killed at school, or a movie theatre,  or at work, just minding your own business. That's wrong.

I investigate homicides, among other part 1 crimes.  Overwhelmingly I can look at a murder and find a motive for why someone was killed.  It's the primary investigative tool to solving them.  When you can be killed with no motive that can be connected to you in any way.....you just  happened to be "there"...that's a problem for society.  It whittles away at our general feeling of well being....it attacks the idea that if we aren't hurting anyone, we have nothing to worry about.  It's bad for us as human beings.

I have no problem with requiring people to be more responsible with their guns.....but some won't.  I have no problem with horrendous penalties for crimes involving firearms.  But I don't believe guns are the problem.  Elliot Rodgers killed with a knife and a gun, and tried to kill more with his vehicle.  A simple object can never be the problem.....I can make an instrument of death out of almost anything.

We have to identify and get help for dangerous people.....people who are headed down a road that we are starting to get a map of. I don't yet have a handle on what that mechanism may be.....but I bet we get there.  These acts are intolerable.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-28 10:39 PM
2014-05-29 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn But...I think you also have to address the elephant in the room, as well, which is, of course, guns. Preventing mass shootings is a complicated endeavor, and I don't think it's possible to have a realistic discussion about it without at least broaching the subject. I agree with you 100% that you have to address the individual first, and foremost, and that simply restricting guns nationwide will have little to no effect, but, to the extent that we're talking about targeting specific individuals through improved psychiatric protocols, better cooperation between doctors/social workers/police, etc, I think it's also worth discussing how we limit such people's access to their constitutionally protected right to bear arms. Does part of getting these people whom we've identified as being potentially harmful to themselves and others the help they need, also include preventing them from getting guns? What about taking away the guns they already have? What about if those guns technically belong to someone else, but the individual in question may have access to them? The Newtown killer famously took his mother's legally-owned guns, killed her, and then carried out his mass murder. If, hypothetically, we could develop mental health protocols that would have identified him as potentially harmful to others, would you be ok with taking away his mother's guns in order to prevent his access to them?
Your next door neighbour was a fugitive from justice so we're going to search your house without warrant just to ensure the safety of the town. Until you agree to that, you might want to stop pushing to ignore other parts of the constitution. If you want to change it, fine. Do so. There are at least two ways to change, alter, delete, or otherwise do away with the individual right to keep and bear arms. Ignoring the amendment is not one of them.
Calm down, Daniel, I'm not "pushing" anything, I'm just asking a legitimate question posed by LeftBrain's scenario. The gun lobby is constantly making the point that a more effective mental health system would be more effective at preventing mass shootings than restricting guns across the board. And, for the record, I agree with them. But, even assuming we figure out how better to identify the people among us who are potential killers, we still then need to deal with how to prevent them from getting their hands on one of the millions of guns currently in circulation. It's not an unreasonable suggestion that to do that might involve restricting or even depriving some law-abiding people access to their guns. I'll go back to my previous example: if, using LB's hypothetical system that allows us to identify potentially violent mentally ill people, we determined that a person who was living in a home that held a number of legally-obtained guns belonging to another family member was potentially violent, you're saying that you wouldn't be in favor of removing those guns from the home until it could be determined that the mentally ill person couldn't get to them?

Just to address your point of taking guns out of certain households...

That would have done absolutely nothing in this case. For one he did not purchase a gun until he was living in his own apartment. Now the counterargument would be that if he had been adjudicated mentally ill at some point before he would not have been able to buy the gun at the gun store.

But even then I don't believe it would have stopped him. I read the entire 140 page manifesto over the last couple of days. He planned this "Day of Retribution" over a year in advance. He also had access to plenty of cash, he talks multiple times about a savings account he would not allow to go below $5,000 so he would have the cash he needed for his day of retribution. 

No gun law in the world would have stopped him from getting his hands on a weapon. There are plenty of places in SoCal to buy a weapon on the street for far less than $5k. Just the same as no drug law has ever stopped anyone who was intent on buying drugs. He specifically talks about "those damnable cops" he has no respect or fear of authority. And as LB pointed out, he used a knife on the first 3 people, then the gun, then his car. His original plan was to drive to his father's house to borrow his Mercedes SUV because it would do more damage, he fantasized about crushing people under the wheels of the SUV.

IMO, after reading the manifesto, the only thing that could have prevented this would have been intense mental health care. This "rampage" was a result of thinking errors that were coupled with severe isolation, to the point where he was too far down the rabbit hole to be saved by anything other than intense therapy to rewire his thinking patterns. 

The problem at the end of the day is how do you legislate someone getting that kind of treatment? How do you identify and then force someone into treatment? He never talks about therapy until the very end, but supposedly he is in treatment from the age of 8 (obviously had little affect on him). He does talk about being prescribed medication, but no other mention of his psychiatrist. 

The manifesto is an interesting read. You can see the progression from socially awkward, to isolated, to severe isolation where the ideas start to form that eventually lead to the "rampage". I put the blame squarely on him, but to a certain degree he is a product of the environment that he, his family, and his peers created.

2014-05-29 12:42 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn But...I think you also have to address the elephant in the room, as well, which is, of course, guns. Preventing mass shootings is a complicated endeavor, and I don't think it's possible to have a realistic discussion about it without at least broaching the subject. I agree with you 100% that you have to address the individual first, and foremost, and that simply restricting guns nationwide will have little to no effect, but, to the extent that we're talking about targeting specific individuals through improved psychiatric protocols, better cooperation between doctors/social workers/police, etc, I think it's also worth discussing how we limit such people's access to their constitutionally protected right to bear arms. Does part of getting these people whom we've identified as being potentially harmful to themselves and others the help they need, also include preventing them from getting guns? What about taking away the guns they already have? What about if those guns technically belong to someone else, but the individual in question may have access to them? The Newtown killer famously took his mother's legally-owned guns, killed her, and then carried out his mass murder. If, hypothetically, we could develop mental health protocols that would have identified him as potentially harmful to others, would you be ok with taking away his mother's guns in order to prevent his access to them?
Your next door neighbour was a fugitive from justice so we're going to search your house without warrant just to ensure the safety of the town. Until you agree to that, you might want to stop pushing to ignore other parts of the constitution. If you want to change it, fine. Do so. There are at least two ways to change, alter, delete, or otherwise do away with the individual right to keep and bear arms. Ignoring the amendment is not one of them.
Calm down, Daniel, I'm not "pushing" anything, I'm just asking a legitimate question posed by LeftBrain's scenario. The gun lobby is constantly making the point that a more effective mental health system would be more effective at preventing mass shootings than restricting guns across the board. And, for the record, I agree with them. But, even assuming we figure out how better to identify the people among us who are potential killers, we still then need to deal with how to prevent them from getting their hands on one of the millions of guns currently in circulation. It's not an unreasonable suggestion that to do that might involve restricting or even depriving some law-abiding people access to their guns. I'll go back to my previous example: if, using LB's hypothetical system that allows us to identify potentially violent mentally ill people, we determined that a person who was living in a home that held a number of legally-obtained guns belonging to another family member was potentially violent, you're saying that you wouldn't be in favor of removing those guns from the home until it could be determined that the mentally ill person couldn't get to them?

That would have done absolutely nothing in this case. For one he did not purchase a gun until he was living in his own apartment. Now the counterargument would be that if he had been adjudicated mentally ill at some point before he would not have been able to buy the gun at the gun store.

But even then I don't believe it would have stopped him. I read the entire 140 page manifesto over the last couple of days. He planned this "Day of Retribution" over a year in advance. He also had access to plenty of cash, he talks multiple times about a savings account he would not allow to go below $5,000 so he would have the cash he needed for his day of retribution. 

No gun law in the world would have stopped him from getting his hands on a weapon. There are plenty of places in SoCal to buy a weapon on the street for far less than $5k. Just the same as no drug law has ever stopped anyone who was intent on buying drugs. He specifically talks about "those damnable cops" he has no respect or fear of authority. And as LB pointed out, he used a knife on the first 3 people, then the gun, then his car. His original plan was to drive to his father's house to borrow his Mercedes SUV because it would do more damage, he fantasized about crushing people under the wheels of the SUV.

IMO, after reading the manifesto, the only thing that could have prevented this would have been intense mental health care. This "rampage" was a result of thinking errors that were coupled with severe isolation, to the point where he was too far down the rabbit hole to be saved by anything other than intense therapy to rewire his thinking patterns. 

The problem at the end of the day is how do you legislate someone getting that kind of treatment? How do you identify and then force someone into treatment? He never talks about therapy until the very end, but supposedly he is in treatment from the age of 8 (obviously had little affect on him). He does talk about being prescribed medication, but no other mention of his psychiatrist. 

The manifesto is an interesting read. You can see the progression from socially awkward, to isolated, to severe isolation where the ideas start to form that eventually lead to the "rampage". I put the blame squarely on him, but to a certain degree he is a product of the environment that he, his family, and his peers created.

Are you suggesting that because some people choose to break some laws that there's no reason to have them? I'm sure you aren't, yet that seems to be a pretty common refrain when we talk about guns. Should we abolish speed limits because some people drive too fast?

Even if it wouldn't have made a difference in this case, it doesn't mean it's not worth talking about, since it surely would have made a difference in other cases.

What do you think? If there was a way to determine conclusively that a mentally ill person was a danger to himself or others, would you be ok with removing guns from his home, even if they were legally purchased or belonged to someone else who lived there? Even if you subjected the person to intense mental health care, unless you institutionalized the person immediately, they would still have access to legally-aquired guns. You pointed out that there are laws preventing people who have been adjudicated as mentally ill from buying guns, but I assume (though I'm not sure) that the law doesn't authorize taking away any guns that the person may already own? What about you?

2014-05-29 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Are you suggesting that because some people choose to break some laws that there's no reason to have them? I'm sure you aren't, yet that seems to be a pretty common refrain when we talk about guns. Should we abolish speed limits because some people drive too fast? Even if it wouldn't have made a difference in this case, it doesn't mean it's not worth talking about, since it surely would have made a difference in other cases. What do you think? If there was a way to determine conclusively that a mentally ill person was a danger to himself or others, would you be ok with removing guns from his home, even if they were legally purchased or belonged to someone else who lived there? Even if you subjected the person to intense mental health care, unless you institutionalized the person immediately, they would still have access to legally-aquired guns. You pointed out that there are laws preventing people who have been adjudicated as mentally ill from buying guns, but I assume (though I'm not sure) that the law doesn't authorize taking away any guns that the person may already own? What about you?

What cases would those be? Links? Evidence? 

I am saying that often times legislation is a knee jerk reaction in an effort to "Do something to save the children"! 

I think you are proposing legislation that addresses a very, very small  issue while having a huge risk of abuse. Perhaps you have cases of a diagnosed mentally ill person taking guns from other's in their house. Sandy Hook is one, but again a law taking the mom's guns does not guarantee prevention of the shooting. If nothing else these shootings have taught us that the shooter plans for months, even years, in great detail, how they want to carry out the attack. Given a year and access to cash, anyone can buy a gun and ammo without any law stopping them. Heck they don't even have to buy it, wasn't it last year that a kid stole a gun from a house he did not live in and used that to kill 2-3 people?

People who are intent on harming others will find a way (Rodger's used a knife on half of his victims). Legislation such as you propose would do nothing to stop someone intent on doing harm, IMO. On the other hand, it would contribute to the stigma of seeking help for mental issues. If someone knows that the police are going to come and raid their family's home to eradicate all the guns and ammo and whatever else (kitchen knives?) if they seek help for depression, they are much less likely to seek help.

We need to encourage people to seek help, not create further laws to strip rights from them and their families if they seek help for a bout of depression.   

2014-05-29 9:25 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Are you suggesting that because some people choose to break some laws that there's no reason to have them? I'm sure you aren't, yet that seems to be a pretty common refrain when we talk about guns. Should we abolish speed limits because some people drive too fast? Even if it wouldn't have made a difference in this case, it doesn't mean it's not worth talking about, since it surely would have made a difference in other cases. What do you think? If there was a way to determine conclusively that a mentally ill person was a danger to himself or others, would you be ok with removing guns from his home, even if they were legally purchased or belonged to someone else who lived there? Even if you subjected the person to intense mental health care, unless you institutionalized the person immediately, they would still have access to legally-aquired guns. You pointed out that there are laws preventing people who have been adjudicated as mentally ill from buying guns, but I assume (though I'm not sure) that the law doesn't authorize taking away any guns that the person may already own? What about you?

I am saying that often times legislation is a knee jerk reaction in an effort to "Do something to save the children"! 

I think you are proposing legislation that addresses a very, very small  issue while having a huge risk of abuse. Perhaps you have cases of a diagnosed mentally ill person taking guns from other's in their house. Sandy Hook is one, but again a law taking the mom's guns does not guarantee prevention of the shooting. If nothing else these shootings have taught us that the shooter plans for months, even years, in great detail, how they want to carry out the attack. Given a year and access to cash, anyone can buy a gun and ammo without any law stopping them. Heck they don't even have to buy it, wasn't it last year that a kid stole a gun from a house he did not live in and used that to kill 2-3 people?

People who are intent on harming others will find a way (Rodger's used a knife on half of his victims). Legislation such as you propose would do nothing to stop someone intent on doing harm, IMO. On the other hand, it would contribute to the stigma of seeking help for mental issues. If someone knows that the police are going to come and raid their family's home to eradicate all the guns and ammo and whatever else (kitchen knives?) if they seek help for depression, they are much less likely to seek help.

We need to encourage people to seek help, not create further laws to strip rights from them and their families if they seek help for a bout of depression.   

So what you're saying is, "No, I would not advocate removing guns from the home of a mentally ill person who is shown to have violent tendencies"?
2014-05-29 9:43 PM

User image

Pro

So what you're saying is, "No, I would not advocate removing guns from the home of a mentally ill person who is shown to have violent tendencies"?

I will take them without blinking if I can get at them in a legal manner. We actually do, quite often, when we can articulate a threat.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-29 9:51 PM
2014-05-30 8:21 AM

New user
If someone is as intent on killing as this guy was, just removing guns from the home is not the answer.

2014-05-30 8:29 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by NXS If someone is as intent on killing as this guy was, just removing guns from the home is not the answer.

Probably not.....but if I'm the guy making that call I take them.  Go kill someone with your car, or with a knife, or with your teeth.....whatever.  I'll do what I can and move on.

We take guns, arrest them, have people committed, blah,blah,blah.  They are usually out in a day or two....but we don't give the guns back without a court order.

I'm not a crusader, I'm just doing my job.  You'd be surprised how some folks smarten up when we start taking their property because they're idiots.  Want to keep your guns?  Don't threaten people. 

2014-05-30 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by NXS

If someone is as intent on killing as this guy was, just removing guns from the home is not the answer.

I see. Maybe the answer is to give the violent mentally ill people even more guns so they won't be able to decide which one to use on their killing spree and they'll just sit in their homes debating endlessly, rather than going out and murdering people. "The AR-15? No, too cliche. The shotgun? Mmm...nah... not enough capacity...Sigh. I'm tired and my head hurts now. I'll go kill people tomorrow."

Seriously, I have to say that I find your and others' pov on the subject a little baffling. Gun proponents say, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", and that "restricting or limiting gun ownership across the board is no answer to curbing gun violence",and that "the only way to effectively curb gun violence is by improving the mental health structure in the US". But when you say, "Agreed--let's identify who the potentially violent mentally ill people are, and let's just take away their[/] guns", a lot of gun proponents aren't on board with that either. Because, "there's too much potential for abuse" or "mentally ill people will find a way to kill people no matter what" or "it's not fair to strip the 2A rights of someone just because their son or husband might use their legal guns to murder people".

So, does it come down to that you're willing tolerate that there will be a certain number of mass murders every year, but that they are a necessary price to pay for the freedom that the 2A affords? Because that's what it sort of sounds like you're saying if you're not even ok with taking guns away from people who we identify as being mentally ill and dangerous.
2014-05-30 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by NXS If someone is as intent on killing as this guy was, just removing guns from the home is not the answer.
I see. Maybe the answer is to give the violent mentally ill people even more guns so they won't be able to decide which one to use on their killing spree and they'll just sit in their homes debating endlessly, rather than going out and murdering people. "The AR-15? No, too cliche. The shotgun? Mmm...nah... not enough capacity...Sigh. I'm tired and my head hurts now. I'll go kill people tomorrow." Seriously, I have to say that I find your and others' pov on the subject a little baffling. Gun proponents say, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", and that "restricting or limiting gun ownership across the board is no answer to curbing gun violence",and that "the only way to effectively curb gun violence is by improving the mental health structure in the US". But when you say, "Agreed--let's identify who the potentially violent mentally ill people are, and let's just take away their[/] guns", a lot of gun proponents aren't on board with that either. Because, "there's too much potential for abuse" or "mentally ill people will find a way to kill people no matter what" or "it's not fair to strip the 2A rights of someone just because their son or husband might use their legal guns to murder people". So, does it come down to that you're willing tolerate that there will be a certain number of mass murders every year, but that they are a necessary price to pay for the freedom that the 2A affords? Because that's what it sort of sounds like you're saying if you're not even ok with taking guns away from people who we identify as being mentally ill and dangerous.

Let's try a different tact.  Are you o.k. with us committing the mentally ill and dangerous?  Seems that legally might be even easier than trying to fight their 2A rights.  And it is probably a better way to definitively decrease the amount of killing sprees.  Without guns they can still kill, but lock'em up and they can't.

See how something doesn't quite sound right with that.  Well taking peoples property when you don't really know if they are going to do anything is pretty wrong as well.  The problem is that there are very few people that can tell you a person is going to act in a certain way.  And a lot of mentally disturbed people don't even see therapists.  So the idea that we can just go find these people and take their guns is ludicrous.  And the idea that we should take away everyones guns is equally stupid.  

So we really don't have many choices.  I could go on about the lack of institutions and the integration of all people, well and non-well, into society and the changes that have occurred since the mid 70's, but I don't think anyone really cares.

2014-05-30 9:28 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by velocomp

I see. Maybe the answer is to give the violent mentally ill people even more guns so they won't be able to decide which one to use on their killing spree and they'll just sit in their homes debating endlessly, rather than going out and murdering people. "The AR-15? No, too cliche. The shotgun? Mmm...nah... not enough capacity...Sigh. I'm tired and my head hurts now. I'll go kill people tomorrow." Seriously, I have to say that I find your and others' pov on the subject a little baffling. Gun proponents say, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", and that "restricting or limiting gun ownership across the board is no answer to curbing gun violence",and that "the only way to effectively curb gun violence is by improving the mental health structure in the US". But when you say, "Agreed--let's identify who the potentially violent mentally ill people are, and let's just take away their[/] guns", a lot of gun proponents aren't on board with that either. Because, "there's too much potential for abuse" or "mentally ill people will find a way to kill people no matter what" or "it's not fair to strip the 2A rights of someone just because their son or husband might use their legal guns to murder people". So, does it come down to that you're willing tolerate that there will be a certain number of mass murders every year, but that they are a necessary price to pay for the freedom that the 2A affords? Because that's what it sort of sounds like you're saying if you're not even ok with taking guns away from people who we identify as being mentally ill and dangerous.

Well taking peoples property when you don't really know if they are going to do anything is pretty wrong as well.  

No.

I don't have to know if they are going to do anything....and I don't care.  If they articulate a threat we take the guns. Simply, we believe them.  I'm not in the business of trying to figure out who is a serious moron and who is a pretend moron.  That's a doctor's job.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-30 9:28 PM
2014-05-31 8:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

I'm disturbed by how ineffective therapy was for this young man.  From what I understand he had treatment for years.  Evidently, it didn't work. 

Also, Left Brain, I'm delighted to know that officers can remove guns (I hope this also includes, knives, cars, brickbats, nunchuks, slingshots etc.) from folks making threats.  This makes total sense to me.  We, of course, hear the stories of when police did not intervene soon enough but how often are these tragedies prevented by interference whether by police or by someone else.  Maybe we need to study successful interference.

Profiling also makes sense to me and I'm interested in typical characteristics of perpetrators.  Furthermore it seems there are distinctions between many of these mass killings.  Daniel listed one mass killing perpetrated by a woman that seemed more like a domestic violence incident in which many people were killed.  Then there is what we used to call "going postal"  where a shooter attacks his/her colleagues at the work place and finally the ones where someone goes after complete strangers.  Of course most of the perpetrators are men.  Is there any incident where a woman has killed multiple strangers?

2014-05-31 10:01 AM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

I see. Maybe the answer is to give the violent mentally ill people even more guns so they won't be able to decide which one to use on their killing spree and they'll just sit in their homes debating endlessly, rather than going out and murdering people. "The AR-15? No, too cliche. The shotgun? Mmm...nah... not enough capacity...Sigh. I'm tired and my head hurts now. I'll go kill people tomorrow."

Seriously, I have to say that I find your and others' pov on the subject a little baffling. Gun proponents say, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", and that "restricting or limiting gun ownership across the board is no answer to curbing gun violence",and that "the only way to effectively curb gun violence is by improving the mental health structure in the US". But when you say, "Agreed--let's identify who the potentially violent mentally ill people are, and let's just take away their[/] guns", a lot of gun proponents aren't on board with that either. Because, "there's too much potential for abuse" or "mentally ill people will find a way to kill people no matter what" or "it's not fair to strip the 2A rights of someone just because their son or husband might use their legal guns to murder people".

So, does it come down to that you're willing tolerate that there will be a certain number of mass murders every year, but that they are a necessary price to pay for the freedom that the 2A affords? Because that's what it sort of sounds like you're saying if you're not even ok with taking guns away from people who we identify as being mentally ill and dangerous.

Let me say this, if someone is a danger to himself or some one else, they don't need to be loose in society. Therein is the problem, since no one can say absolutely that someone will behave a certain way. It is just based on someone's professional opinion. As mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes mental health professionals get it wrong. So what do we do? I am sure there are/will be abuses with this process.

As far as the second amendment, it is a right, not an option or privilege. I think we need to careful, very careful when we talk about taking away a person's constitutional rights, no matter which one it may be. Personally I would rather err on the side of liberty and freedom, than live where the gov. tells us what we can have. Unfortunately there will always be people who will abuse freedom and cause harm to others in many ways including murder. As callous as this may sound, it is just one of the costs of living in a free society, one that I do not care for, but accept.
2014-06-01 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have been following this thread and first I must say how proud I am of the BT contributors for their overall intelligent discourse. This is a very thorny issue that has lead some to a standard far less than what I am seeing here. I hear what some of the talking heads are saying and it is clear they have absolutely no understanding of the issue of mental he4alth beyond how they can use a shooting like this to further an agenda.

This is an issue I am not unfamiliar with. I have a close family member who suffers from a mental illness. Even though no one has ever felt he was danger to himself or others, current laws prohibits him from buying a gun because of his hospitalization.

Here are the issues I see making a solution very difficult.

1. Money - people with money can absolutely buy silence from a mental health professional. They can use the power of their contribution to a therapist income to persuade them to call the family first before calling officials so ' they can handle it as a family'.

2. Denial - From personal experience I can tell you it is very hard to admit that a loved one has a mental health issue. You can't see it like a broken arm. It's easy to dismiss behavioral signs as "they are just 'different' or eccentric". If the people closest to the person aren't willing to stand up and fight for their loved one out of ignorance or fear of themselves being judged, how in the world do you expect the person to seek help on their own. Trust me when I tell you the hardest thing I have ever done in my life was to call the therapist of a loved one and tell him this person needed to be hospitalized immediately and then call the police to see he got there. This person did not speak to me for months and I am ok paying that price. With time he understood that what I did was out of love and we again have a great relationship.

3. Politics - this is the new hot issue because of the shooting. if you read the article posted above on SF Gate, a very liberal publication, even they suggest that the Dems bill quickly introduced was motivated to take the lead away from the Reps. These guys need to get their collective heads out of their a$$es and work together. If these victims could be saved do you think their first thought is who wrote the legislation?

4. Politics v2 - I hate to bring the ACA into this discussion but it is relevant. With the new lower reimbursements of the obamacare plans many doctors have opted out of accepting those plans. I had a client who has a dependent that needs a psychiatrist. After moving to an exchange plan he discovered there was exactly ONE psychiatrist in the entire county in the new skinny network.

5. Politics v3 - Gun control always pops up in these issues. Unfortunately that takes focus off the problem and into the morass of this highly charged issue. Unfortunately all to often the guns are obtained legally by the owner. And there are just too many ways these guns in to the hands of the perpetrators of these crimes to effectively legislate all of them. Now I am not advocating just giving up, in fact I think I have a workable idea but that is a conversation for another day.

Because I have seen the effects mental health issues can have on an individual I understand how poorly we do as a society to help these people. I consider myself lucky that my experiences have not yet resulted in the tragic consequences others have shared on here. I say yet because as much as I feel I know more about the issue than 99% of Americans, I understand I actually know very little.

We need intelligent discourse. The issues needs serious funding. We need to talk about it until proper steps are taken to protect both those affected and the public, not just when something tragic happens until the next news cycle.

OK, I will step off my soapbox new. Sorry for the rant.
2014-06-02 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Let me say this, if someone is a danger to himself or some one else, they don't need to be loose in society. Therein is the problem, since no one can say absolutely that someone will behave a certain way. It is just based on someone's professional opinion. As mentioned earlier in the thread, sometimes mental health professionals get it wrong. So what do we do? I am sure there are/will be abuses with this process.
As far as the second amendment, it is a right, not an option or privilege. I think we need to careful, very careful when we talk about taking away a person's constitutional rights, no matter which one it may be. Personally I would rather err on the side of liberty and freedom, than live where the gov. tells us what we can have. Unfortunately there will always be people who will abuse freedom and cause harm to others in many ways including murder. As callous as this may sound, it is just one of the costs of living in a free society, one that I do not care for, but accept.

Meh, your first paragraph makes kind of a weak argument. Our judicial system isn't built on absolute certainty, since absolute certainly is nearly impossible to acertain, rather it's built upon the standard of "reasonable doubt". If there are generally-agreed-upon protocols whereby mental health professionals can determine with a high degree of accuracy that certain people pose a danger to themeselves or others, I'm ok with depriving those people of the means to do harm until it can be determined that the threat no longer exists. Will they be wrong sometime? Yeah, probably, and that's unfortunate, but if they can be right an overwhelming majority of the time, I'm ok with there being a few outliers. We're perfectly comfortable in this country with capital punishment, even though the judicial system doesn't get it right 100% of the time either, so there's no reason why we need to apply a 100% standard of perfection to mental health assessments.

Regarding your second point, even today, there are circumstances in which one's 2A rights can be taken away, no? I'm not even necessarily saying that a person who is identified as having a violent mental illness needs to have their guns taken away permanently. Once they're determined to no longer be a threat, they can have their guns back. Their right to bear arms shouldn't infringe on other peoples' right to not be murdered. The 2A is a pillar of our Constitution, but I think there's a segment of the population who have convinced themselves that the 2A supercedes all other constitutional rights, and nowhere in the Constitution does it say that.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-06-02 8:32 AM
2014-06-02 9:33 AM

User image

Elite

Well to just jump in... I had a coworker that went through a very nasty divorce. I won't go into detail, but this guy was OUT THERE. I was absolutely dumbfounded how he still had a job. I am not one for sensational thinking.... but I regularly though when we make national news for a shooting spree... that the entire country would look at us like we were the biggest idiots around. The signs were everywhere... it was crazy. But the guy never did anything... well yet.  Because we just don't know right? He saw conspiracies every where of how his wife was out to get him, and management was involved, and the cops, and the phone company.... He would joke all the time about how his therapist says he is a ticking time bomb... and he would end a lot of discussions with.... and then there was a gun.... 

Seriously... the law and doctors were involved, and you would just take a glancing look and say my God, this guy needs to be locked up... but he didn't do anything... well yet. Things seems to have settled down... and maybe it is the "quiet ones" you really need to worry about. this guy talked about it all the time.... but we don't know do we? Because the guy didn't commit a crime to be locked up for. And if things go the way they are, he should not be locked up, because he didn't do anything bad. So what do you do?

I don't mean to hold this guy up as a DB, but it's the conversation we are having. If there was ever a workplace shooting here there would be a name that would come immediately to mind. And then everyone would look and say... just how much evidence did you need... yet, he is a law abiding citizen and has not cause anymore problems. So how many do you lock up because you think they "might" do something bad, and how many bad things will you ACTUALLY prevent by doing so?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » California shooting...... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Yet ANOTHER school shooting...and another thread about gun control. Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 5357 Posts: 73

2014-01-02 12:12 PM jmk-brooklyn

The wife of an armed robbery suspect shot dead by a shop clerk sues clerk

Started by DanielG
Views: 862 Posts: 2

2013-05-30 10:00 AM RockTractor

Wisconsin bill would eliminate workplace flu-shot requirement Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 4383 Posts: 50

2013-05-21 8:40 PM bootygirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?

date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.
date : June 14, 2005
author : docgill
comments : 10
One year ago I was 90 pounds heavier and dreaming of being able to walk without a wobble. I never considered doing a triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : bostic
One of the most important pals a triathlete can have is the gel pack.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.