of 60

2014-06-02 8:10 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Regular
Madrid
Subject: RE: NewTAN's Third Law of Motion
Originally posted by mehaner

ever have one of those days where you are so overwhelmed with what needs to be done you have no idea where to start and therefore scramble around doing nothing?  that's happening to me right now and i'm panicking.  i should have called in sick today.

Hah. Welcome to my day. After weeks of perfect testing of a new order routing / management system today is day 1 of going live. Its 3 in the afternoon and its still not close to working. On top of that there's the normal mountain of month end reports and admin to plough through. And lastly there's of course the odd ball one offs that the only appropriate response is- seriously ? Day 2 can only get better.

2014-06-02 9:26 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

My day started out with me walking in the door and being told a fascinating story by a lady who had a bathroom emergency on her run this weekend!

Good morning to you too!

AWESOME!

2014-06-02 9:47 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309

My day started out with me walking in the door and being told a fascinating story by a lady who had a bathroom emergency on her run this weekend!

Good morning to you too!

AWESOME!

Sorry, I just can't keep those stories to myself

2014-06-02 9:56 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Regular
Madrid
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Good morning to you too!

AWESOME!

So what happened to her ? Honestly. First it was the doubt over whether the lady ran the marathon or not. Now this. Honestly you people are driving me nuts with lack of closure here.
2014-06-02 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by gr33n

Good morning to you too!

AWESOME!

So what happened to her ? Honestly. First it was the doubt over whether the lady ran the marathon or not. Now this. Honestly you people are driving me nuts with lack of closure here.

I really did not ask to many follow up questions, but she said she ran up to some old ladies house and said she had a medical emergency and asked if she could use her bathroom, and the old lady let her! Thankfully my phone rang and I was able to get away.

2014-06-02 10:20 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Regular
Madrid

Originally posted by gr33n

Good morning to you too!

AWESOME!

I really did not ask to many follow up questions, but she said she ran up to some old ladies house and said she had a medical emergency and asked if she could use her bathroom, and the old lady let her! Thankfully my phone rang and I was able to get away.

Wow. This could have gone wrong in so many ways. What if no one was home ? What if it wasn't a kind old lady but rather an axe murderer ? I wonder if she knew that a kind old lady lived there. This sounds like a person that should be invited to contribute here given the current dry spell of people with good stories.

* Yes still waiting for I.T. fix here.

2014-06-02 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

So did anyone else have a completely weird as all get you week last week? It had to have been a full moon.  Probably had 2 of my top 5 most bizzarre cases at work..........lets just say its not goo when your orthopod is diagnosing your leukemia and FWIW....THAT IS NOT AN ORTHOPEDIC PROBLEM. 

For your entertainment.............My cat Tucker escaped thursday. I was completely FRANTIC running around my neighborhood shouting for him (He is an indoor cat)  Made flyers put them out more frantic running about filed missing pet report with the microchip CO etc etc....so I am running upstairs and there isa frigging RAT...a RAT on my stairs...............WTF?????????  If I had not already been completely flipping out over Tucker being gone it would have freaked me out a lot more.  I show it to the other 2 cats......who are afraid of it. Aren't they supposed to have an INSTINCT or something?  My 15# cat runs up the stairs and looks down at it....like gee mom get that thing out of our house............awesome.  Anyway I get it down the stairs trap it under one of those microwave plastic things you put over your food, (Yeah I threw that out)  slide a file folder under the rat and the plastic thing and do a catch and release and proceed to look for Tucker (I found him a bit later the little booger

My fiance says "Oh just get some of those sticky traps and put them out"  Yeah because I want LIVE RATS with their ratty little feet stuck to traps while they live...then WTF am I supposed to do with them? Next door neighbor says Oh just spray some foam around the foundation so they can't get in..........Yeah I am calling a professional.  So today I finally get someone on the phone and I explain what happened

Rat guy (RG) "So what did you do with it?"
Me: "Well I was not going to keep it as a pet, I did a catch and release"
RG : you didn't KILL it?"
Me:  Dude NO how was I supposed to kill it? It was a big friggin rat? That is not in my skill set" (And get rat brains and guts in my house??? EEWW)
RG:  "So you just let it go?"
ME: "Damn it Jim I'm a doctor not a rat killer"

He laughed at me and hung up.  geez o pete

2014-06-02 4:08 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Socks

So did anyone else have a completely weird as all get you week last week? It had to have been a full moon.  Probably had 2 of my top 5 most bizzarre cases at work..........lets just say its not goo when your orthopod is diagnosing your leukemia and FWIW....THAT IS NOT AN ORTHOPEDIC PROBLEM. 

For your entertainment.............My cat Tucker escaped thursday. I was completely FRANTIC running around my neighborhood shouting for him (He is an indoor cat)  Made flyers put them out more frantic running about filed missing pet report with the microchip CO etc etc....so I am running upstairs and there isa frigging RAT...a RAT on my stairs...............WTF?????????  If I had not already been completely flipping out over Tucker being gone it would have freaked me out a lot more.  I show it to the other 2 cats......who are afraid of it. Aren't they supposed to have an INSTINCT or something?  My 15# cat runs up the stairs and looks down at it....like gee mom get that thing out of our house............awesome.  Anyway I get it down the stairs trap it under one of those microwave plastic things you put over your food, (Yeah I threw that out)  slide a file folder under the rat and the plastic thing and do a catch and release and proceed to look for Tucker (I found him a bit later the little booger

My fiance says "Oh just get some of those sticky traps and put them out"  Yeah because I want LIVE RATS with their ratty little feet stuck to traps while they live...then WTF am I supposed to do with them? Next door neighbor says Oh just spray some foam around the foundation so they can't get in..........Yeah I am calling a professional.  So today I finally get someone on the phone and I explain what happened

Me:  Dude NO how was I supposed to kill it? It was a big friggin rat? That is not in my skill set" (And get rat brains and guts in my house??? EEWW)

I'd call someone else and be all `I dont want rats in my house, can you do something to kill the ones in here and ensure no more get in?' I'm sure they'd oblige fro the right price. Also, nice Star Trek reference, Bones.
2014-06-02 6:16 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by Socks

I'd call someone else and be all `I dont want rats in my house, can you do something to kill the ones in here and ensure no more get in?' I'm sure they'd oblige fro the right price. Also, nice Star Trek reference, Bones.

I have one coming at 8am tomorrow.  YAY!!!  Thanks Spock

2014-06-03 10:55 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was reminded again a couple times this last month how amazingly resilient the human body is...  It's ability to self repair, deal with pain, trauma, etc can be astounding.  A reminder to take care of it so it can take care of us/itself.

2014-06-03 11:46 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by Kido

I was reminded again a couple times this last month how amazingly resilient the human body is...  It's ability to self repair, deal with pain, trauma, etc can be astounding.  A reminder to take care of it so it can take care of us/itself.

What'd you do now?

2014-06-03 11:56 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

What'd you do now?

I was playing "look what I can do" after a couple cocktails...  I'm now missing body parts... 

But crazier story, a girl we know fell off a hotel balcony in Mexico.  Apparently, the TWELFTH FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!  And broke her back in several place, but is actually doing well, at home, and should recover quite nicely.  Seriously?  That sounds like one of those miracle stories.

2014-06-03 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

What'd you do now?

I was playing "look what I can do" after a couple cocktails...  I'm now missing body parts... 

But crazier story, a girl we know fell off a hotel balcony in Mexico.  Apparently, the TWELFTH FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!  And broke her back in several place, but is actually doing well, at home, and should recover quite nicely.  Seriously?  That sounds like one of those miracle stories.

missing body parts is certainly the crazier story.  stop vaguebooking.

2014-06-03 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

What'd you do now?

I told the "trailer" to it last week.

The real story: had one of my toothes removed.  The sounds created and force needed to get it out was horrible.  That being said, besides a weird feeling of a  gap soon to be filled with a new tooth, zero pain, zero problems.  Haven't even needed aspirin.  Similar to a wisdom tooth.

It's like the body just says "oh, missing a tooth", turns off the pain and carries on. 

Same happened when I had several of my toenails removed because of stupid "black toe" from bad fitting shoes.  It was funny to see what could have looked like a terribly painful thing (doc taking pliers and ripping nails off) and not feel a thing (god bless local anesthesia) and the fact the body turns off the pain and heals fast and not having nails that first week wasn't even bothersome.  They grew back all purty and new.

I know a tooth is not that big a deal.  But I'm still impressed.  So the bone will quickly knit together to fill the void and repair itself.  They will put a titanium post and put a new crown on it and good as new.  They say it's good for a lifetime...

Edited by Kido 2014-06-03 12:44 PM
2014-06-03 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

What'd you do now?

I told the "trailer" to it last week.

The real story: had one of my toothes removed.  The sounds created and force needed to get it out was horrible.  That being said, besides a weird feeling of a  gap soon to be filled with a new tooth, zero pain, zero problems.  Haven't even needed aspirin.  Similar to a wisdom tooth.

It's like the body just says "oh, missing a tooth", turns off the pain and carries on. 

Same happened when I had several of my toenails removed because of stupid "black toe" from bad fitting shoes.  It was funny to see what could have looked like a terribly painful thing (doc taking pliers and ripping nails off) and not feel a thing (god bless local anesthesia) and the fact the body turns off the pain and heals fast and not having nails that first week wasn't even bothersome.  They grew back all purty and new.

I know a tooth is not that big a deal.  But I'm still impressed.  So the bone will quickly knit together to fill the void and repair itself.  They will put a titanium post and put a new crown on it and good as new.  They say it's good for a lifetime...

Um, were you in Vegas when this happened?

Oh, wait ...
2014-06-03 6:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

In other news my exterminator has assured me my house is rat free. Thanks God.  He could not figure out how my visitor got in but assures me I have no unwanted room mates.  He left some traps in the garage.  The cats' garage privileges are revoked. 

2014-06-04 1:36 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
So here's a situation for you all to ponder. As I have mentioned in the past I run this baseball league here. There's around 200 kids in it and about 30 coaches. Its all on a volunteer basis. Although a good amount of time and effort goes into it, its something I very much enjoy doing. At the end of every season I like to throw a party to thank the coaches for their time, to mark the end of the season, and the school year. Over here its also a time that a lot of people scatter for the summer or even leave for good, so its also a bit of a good bye and good luck sort of thing.

So I schedule the party for this Saturday, and had the date and directions and plan all sent out to everyone invited 5 weeks ago. I find out yesterday that one of the coaches has planned a party of his own for the same night and has invited about half the people on the coaches list. At first I thought no big deal, as he can do whatever he likes etc etc. After giving it some thought though I have to admit I'm feeling a bit annoyed. A few people have let me know they're still coming but will leave early so that they can do both parties. As such there's the hassle of having to change the order for food and drink for the party in anticipation of fewer people or at least people not staying as long. On top of that since the guy knew this was the date for more than a month I think its just a little rude of the guy. Don't know- Am I making too big a deal about this and should I just be happy that it means there will be less people hanging around at 2:00 a.m. ? Thoughts please ?
2014-06-04 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

whoa - i just actually registered for some triathlons!  

also - re party coach - is he a new coach or a coach that has been a part of your league for a while?  i think you are probably making a big ish deal about it, throw a good party for your friends and enjoy.

2014-06-04 10:51 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Yeah I think you're right. I've been thinking about it think its best to just let it be.
2014-06-04 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

> I just be happy that it means there will be less people hanging around at 2:00 a.m. ?

I would go with that. I host a BBQ each year near the 4th of July and most of my friends anticipate it and enjoy coming. There also tends to be other BBQs/parties that weekend and often some of my guests leave in the evening to head to them. This doesn't bother me much, as I was able to spend time with them earlier in the day and, as you said, there is less of a big group at the end of the night when wrapping up the party.

2014-06-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Ever deal with someone missing the forest looking at trees?  I'm sure you have.

OMG, I have an architect confused about a sidewalk that's built straddling the lease line.  They're in a kerfuffle about who builds the remaining two feet past the lease line or how to handle it - the owner or the tenant.  We have been going back and forth FOR DAYS about these "limbo" areas when I finally broke it down that he is making a huge deal about a 2' strip of sidewalk that's 75' long.  That costs $600 bucks to build in a project that costs MILLIONS AND MILLIONS.

I told him to pick a contractor to do it all so it's consistent instead of one contractor doing 4' and another doing 2' then the other contractor give them $600 for the effort of doing it all.  I also mentioned that we probably spent TWICE that going back and forth via email about it.  Some times technical people get SO hung up about some phantom line or some detail and miss the fact it's just not that big of a deal.  Just pick something and GO.    

2014-06-04 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Ever deal with someone missing the forest looking at trees?  I'm sure you have.

OMG, I have an architect confused about a sidewalk that's built straddling the lease line.  They're in a kerfuffle about who builds the remaining two feet past the lease line or how to handle it - the owner or the tenant.  We have been going back and forth FOR DAYS about these "limbo" areas when I finally broke it down that he is making a huge deal about a 2' strip of sidewalk that's 75' long.  That costs $600 bucks to build in a project that costs MILLIONS AND MILLIONS.

I told him to pick a contractor to do it all so it's consistent instead of one contractor doing 4' and another doing 2' then the other contractor give them $600 for the effort of doing it all.  I also mentioned that we probably spent TWICE that going back and forth via email about it.  Some times technical people get SO hung up about some phantom line or some detail and miss the fact it's just not that big of a deal.  Just pick something and GO.    

going through that on a project here - we are redesigning one component of an injector and everyone is freaking out about this diameter that is like, 3 microns larger than we would like it, so spending tons of time on drawings, analyses, etc.  meanwhile, one component the material we are investigating literally VAPORIZES when i weld creating this "honeycomb" pattern so the part leaks, and therefore doesn't do its job (because i have to 100% inspect for a hermetic weld).  instead of focusing on identifying the right material, all anyone wants to talk about is this diameter.  GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE.

nerds unite.

2014-06-04 12:11 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I get the technical guy's point - he wants it exact.  But I'm high enough up the ladder to deal with the owners all the time.  When they ask about things like this and how much it costs and the answer is 600 bucks?  They flip out and almost pull some hundies out of their wallet and say "make it happen".  I tend to think like them.  Everyone gets scared about spending the clients money, but $600 in a job that costs a quarter BILLION dollars to build?  Shoot, I have submitted things then told them they have a $5k - $10k county fee and they just say "bill me" and it's done but this guy is hassling me a week about who is paying for 600 bucks of walk.  At my billing rate, we spent more emailing about it than paying the contractor to pour 2' more...

2014-06-04 12:55 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Whats up nerdy birdies.
I'm up to my eyeballs in work. My (very young) co-worker spaced on something this morning and asked me to cover - it was too late. She was just rolling in to work at 9 a.m. Then takes an hour-fifteen (right now, she's not back yet) lunch. And will leave early. Godd bless her, that used to be me.

2014-06-04 1:14 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

15 minutes until my 2nd interview with a law firm in Austin... 

Fingers crossed!!!    

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » NewTAN's Third Law of Motion Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Wii help needed: Want to kill, but get motion sickness

Started by AcesFull
Views: 1641 Posts: 10

2009-01-05 10:42 AM TriRSquared

I'll make a motion...

Started by Sharkie
Views: 2126 Posts: 20

2008-12-11 10:50 AM JoshKaptur

Motion Sickness

Started by soloryder
Views: 1864 Posts: 13

2008-06-20 1:15 PM erin116

Motion Sensors?

Started by steveseer
Views: 2177 Posts: 14

2008-06-03 10:26 PM tech_geezer

can you pass the third grade? Pages: 1 2

Started by gabejd09
Views: 3831 Posts: 33

2004-10-04 2:23 PM Whit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : July 4, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
While most do not think about the actual vector breakdown involved in the cycling stroke and where the power is applied in detail, when you finally do think about it, things become clearer.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Gareth
Flexibility, muscle imbalances relating to range of motion and how it affects your swimming technique.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.