General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SOS 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-05 1:46 PM

User image

Subject: SOS 2014

Any other BTers doing SOS?  Coming out from California.

2014-06-05 2:53 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: SOS 2014
I'm in . . . .

2014-06-06 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
I'm in. Nice reminder that I need to get swimming... Love this race!
2014-06-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Yeah, I need to figure out what shoes to use, and start swimming with them in my shorts....

2014-06-06 2:24 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by bdenehy

I'm in. Nice reminder that I need to get swimming... Love this race!

how many times have you done it? any training tips? I'm planning to work in some bike/run/swim and swim/run/swim bricks w/o a wetsuit and with my shoes. useful?
2014-06-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

flights booked, now just need to figure out lodging nad transport.   We're spending a 3 days in DC then a couple in the city before heading to New Paltz, and we'll need a car for my wife to take my bike

2014-06-06 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Originally posted by braciole

how many times have you done it? any training tips? I'm planning to work in some bike/run/swim and swim/run/swim bricks w/o a wetsuit and with my shoes. useful?

Just once, last year. As for training, I'm not much for tips as a middle-of-the-packer. I don't generally do bricks involving OWS because of logistics and limited time. But I can give you a couple of race-day tips based on my own mistakes. Wear road/tri shoes not trail shoes. It's not a back-country trail, but a groomed one, part with item-four gravel where some cushioning would be nice. Maybe some tri- shoes with drainage holes. I haven't found what model to try for this year. Also, this may be self evident, but don't swim with your shoes on your feet. I actually did for the first swim last year and it was a disaster. If you usually run in socks I would give them up sooner rather than later. As for the bike, it wasn't nearly as challenging as I assumed it would be given the area. There is only one real climb, unfortunately it is the entire last 5 miles of the bike course.

If you click on my name and go to race reports, mine from last year is there.
2014-06-17 7:27 PM

User image

New user
Saw this today -- a podcast discussion of last year's race. I haven't listened to it yet.

http://sostriathlon.com/podcast-best-description-of-sos-ever/

Did Quassy at the beginning of the month and I'm having trouble kick starting my training again for SOS. Need to get it in gear.
2014-06-19 12:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by braciole Saw this today -- a podcast discussion of last year's race. I haven't listened to it yet. http://sostriathlon.com/podcast-best-description-of-sos-ever/Did Quassy at the beginning of the month and I'm having trouble kick starting my training again for SOS. Need to get it in gear.

Listened last night on the way home from work and it's put the fear of god in me.  For some reason, I knew it was going to be hard... but I need to get up in the hills

2014-06-19 1:15 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by braciole Saw this today -- a podcast discussion of last year's race. I haven't listened to it yet. http://sostriathlon.com/podcast-best-description-of-sos-ever/Did Quassy at the beginning of the month and I'm having trouble kick starting my training again for SOS. Need to get it in gear.

Listened last night on the way home from work and it's put the fear of god in me.  For some reason, I knew it was going to be hard... but I need to get up in the hills

yeah me too.

I had been searching for elevations reports for each of the legs, and I found the race report at the link below. Excellent description of the race and some good photos.

http://www.sbrli.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5...
2014-06-19 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
That's a great race report. I found it less brutal of a race as a middle of the packer, and the scenery makes the pain less painful, but if you want to finish as fast as she did, then yes, expect the pain. I also didn't remember the climbs being so terrible, but I had been training for the Escarpment trail run during the months before. Guess it's time to hit those hill repeats again...can't wait for this race.

2014-07-01 7:15 PM
in reply to: #5007696

User image

New user

the race just got a little harder.

seriously tho - hope this isn't a big problem and that it gets worked out by September.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Leech-Invasion-Catskills-Lake-...
2014-07-07 11:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by braciole the race just got a little harder. seriously tho - hope this isn't a big problem and that it gets worked out by September. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Leech-Invasion-Catskills-Lake-...

Looks like the treatment didn't really work but they've opened deeper water for swimming.   Just not the shallows.   Not sure how that works... LOL

2014-07-08 9:20 AM

User image

New user

Originally posted by braciole the race just got a little harder. seriously tho - hope this isn't a big problem and that it gets worked out by September. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Leech-Invasion-Catskills-Lake-...

Looks like the treatment didn't really work but they've opened deeper water for swimming.   Just not the shallows.   Not sure how that works... LOL

rope swing?
2014-07-08 3:42 PM

User image

rope swing?

that would be fun!

2014-07-08 11:35 PM

User image

A local swimmer friend says people are swimming without issues, and SOS doesn't go near the public swim beach where this issue is

2014-07-15 7:56 AM
in reply to: #5020323

User image

New user
i haven't started practicing any if this stuff yet, but based on a tip from a friend here is something i'm going to try out.

one issue i've been grappling with is that i really like to run with a visor and, for long races, a fuel belt with one bottle. I sweat a lot and worry about hydration. at my long races having the fuel belt for in between aid stations has been a life saver. i could forego that stuff but don't want to if there is a practical way to keep it.

so, I got a big 2.5 gallon slide lock bag. for the swim, i would use it for my shoes, visor, and fuel belt and bottle. During the swim, i would hold the bag between my legs and hopefully get some lift from the trapped air like a pull buoy. The point of this would not be to try to keep stuff dry - just to give me a way do the race with fuel belt and visor. When empty the zip lock folds up small enough to fit in the pocket of my tri top while running. I'm not competitive so I don't care too much about the time spent messing with the bag, if it will give me comfort about my hydration.

I guess a less complicated alternative would be to stuff the visor and belt into my shorts/top too, but I also like the idea of getting some buoy help since I won't have a wetsuit.

Thoughts from the SOS vets?
2014-07-15 6:53 PM

User image

I have the same questions.  I was wondering specifically about a hand bottle and hat;/glasses.

Also, if it's warm, as a bigger guy I like having water available more consistently than every 2 miles...   I have a full size hand bottle, but thinking of getting a smaller one I can throw down the top.

I don't want to bring too much stuff in but like you I am not winning it, so might as well have a comfort or two?   Glasses are no big deal, but hat would be nice....

2014-07-17 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
People handle these all different ways. I saw some with dry bags, some with items attached to snap links on a belt.

Bag - personally I'd be worried that a slide lock bag could fill with water and/or slip out from the legs.

Water - if all you want is a small bottle on a fuel belt, you could probably keep it on and spin it so bottle is on the small of your back and not too much drag. There are 3 giant water stations between the runs (the lakes) to drink your fill from. I did this last year but may rethink it if they are addng chemicals to treat for creepy crawlys

Hat/visor - I too like one but didn't miss it here. It's a trail race and there is much more shade than at your typical tri.

Shoes - I have a friend who is a competive age grouper and incredible swimmer who swims with his shoes between his legs like a buoy. No bag, just and elastic belt to hold them together.

Wetsuits - I saw two men wearing them. One simply ran with it on, pulled down to the waist and one took it off and folded it into some kind of bag (that seemed to take a very long time)

My plan - I wear a one piece and will jam my shoes down the front to the thighs. People are doing all kinds of things so don't be modest. I'll put shoes on in the water at the swim exits. the small pocket in the back of the onesie holds goggles, swim cap, and ear plugs. You can put these on in the couple hundred yards leading to the swim entrances.
2014-07-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks for the tips!

I have my first race specific workout this Sunday, a run/swim/run/swim/run/swim/run.   Where I live and doing it I am going to have to wear a hat and bottle, so I'm gonna have to shove some stuff down the shorts and top, and see how things lie  LOL

Right, now, going to try to run into the water w/ shoes, take them off about thigh -waist deep.   Same coming out.  Doing it on a beach with a rocky entry so hopefully won't get a ton of sand in there....

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-23 3:36 PM
2014-07-23 4:22 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for the tips!

I have my first race specific workout this Sunday, a run/swim/run/swim/run/swim/run.   Where I live and doing it I am going to have to wear a hat and bottle, so I'm gonna have to shove some stuff down the shorts and top, and see how things lie  LOL

Right, now, going to try to run into the water w/ shoes, take them off about thigh -waist deep.   Same coming out.  Doing it on a beach with a rocky entry so hopefully won't get a ton of sand in there....

let us know how it all goes.

my training's been knocked off track a bit. traveled a few times this month, family parties and birthdays, one just plain old bad week, and now i'm sick. I'm dang close to having lost nearly the whole month of July. need to right this ship and start getting in some long workouts and some race specific workouts.

2014-07-27 10:11 PM

User image

That was a helluva workout... and SOS is going to be a helluva a race...   Funny you always read about cramping after the first swim, and wonder about it... Yup, after the first swim, hammies started firing a bit.  70 degree ocean water, had a great entry/exit point without too much sand. 

Decided to run into the water with shoes, take them off wast deep.  I was wearing a hat and glasses just shoved them down the tri top.   Tried swimming with shoes down shorts.   Did a little with them on.   Based on Bill's post, tried wrapping them together and using as a pull buoy.  Think that worked the best.   Left socks on.   Put shoes on in the water and ran out with them on.   Sure it looked funny

Only bad part was someone stole my hand bottle I left on the rocks during the second swim

Shoe buoy

2014-08-05 4:35 PM

User image

New user

That was a helluva workout... and SOS is going to be a helluva a race...   Funny you always read about cramping after the first swim, and wonder about it... Yup, after the first swim, hammies started firing a bit.  70 degree ocean water, had a great entry/exit point without too much sand. 

Decided to run into the water with shoes, take them off wast deep.  I was wearing a hat and glasses just shoved them down the tri top.   Tried swimming with shoes down shorts.   Did a little with them on.   Based on Bill's post, tried wrapping them together and using as a pull buoy.  Think that worked the best.   Left socks on.   Put shoes on in the water and ran out with them on.   Sure it looked funny

Only bad part was someone stole my hand bottle I left on the rocks during the second swim

What did you set up this workout -- i.e., how many legs did you do, how long was each?

I still haven't done one. Planning to try for this Saturday. My current plan is to do run/swim/run/swim, with each run about 30-40 minutes and each swim about 750m (I haven't measured my swim spot in a while). I'll try something different for each swim.

where you wearing two piece tri suit (asking cause I might try the same thing with visor)?
2014-08-06 10:17 AM

User image

What did you set up this workout -- i.e., how many legs did you do, how long was each? I still haven't done one. Planning to try for this Saturday. My current plan is to do run/swim/run/swim, with each run about 30-40 minutes and each swim about 750m (I haven't measured my swim spot in a while). I'll try something different for each swim.where you wearing two piece tri suit (asking cause I might try the same thing with visor)?
Similar distances as you plan, I did 3 mi run, .5 swim, 5 run, .5 swim, 3 run, .5 swim, 1 run. With hills.

that day I did 2 piece with some really old de soto shorts. I think I am still using a hat race day and probably even a small hand bottle. With the two piece the hat down the front shifted a bit and I had to stop to readjust, even a tight top loosens in the water. I think for the race I'll use my de soto Tri bibs which will be more comfortable and also hold things in place. They also have well placed pockets.

will probably do one more race sim in the next few weeks

2014-08-06 2:54 PM

User image

Meant to add though I have been running in the zoots without socks, up to 7 miles now.  Not getting them wet other than sweating though, next race sim will be sockless

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SOS 2014 Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

2014 NYC Tri: Roll Call - Lets go!

Started by piok_opze
Views: 880 Posts: 6

2014-06-19 3:12 PM Jayabusa

2 Charity Entries Available for 2014 NYC Tri -- Raise money for cancer patients

Started by Team Continuum
Views: 1005 Posts: 1

2014-03-28 9:53 AM Team Continuum