Multisport Canada
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 14s
Overall Rank = 188/236
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/29
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 5:30 and ate oats, granola mix and a banana. plus a glass of milk. Spent long time on my bathroom routine and started to worry if my guts would be an issue all morning. Finally got dressed and started the hour drive to the event.

Fortunately my stomach calmed down and I sipped gatorade all the way to the event.

Arrived in good time and avoided the mistake of driving in the wrong park entrance. Got a great parking space a short walk from transition and walked my bike over. the bike tag system worked well and was able to drop off all my stuff in transition before walking over to complete sign in.

Transition was a nice grassy area with some sand put down to cover rocky areas.

After registration I went back to transition to layout my gear and apply sunscreen. Had a friendly reminder from a Triathlon Ontario steward to move my backpack to a safer storage area.
Event warmup:

I got down to the water with about 20 minutes to go before the start. Went in the water to test the footing on the way in and out, then dunked to get used to the temperature and swam about 100m in warmup segments.
Swim
  • 18m 38s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had coached myself to be calm at the start and enjoy the swim as much as possible. I swam gently and maintained my calm the whole way. i did shift down into breast stroke twice after gulping some water. Made it out with only one other guy from my wave behind me so gave myself a little fist pump and called out 'not last'. He overtook me on the run up to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Massively increase my swim training volume. Buy and learn to swim in a wetsuit. Learn how to navigate. Essentially learn how to OWS in every way.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

300m or so job up to T1 from the swim exit. And for the first time i felt my right calf twinge. Nothing bad and no idea why it does this after some swims.

Got my helmet on first and my powdered and rolled socks went on nicely. Shoes were not trouble and I was quickly scampering out to the bike course. Got clipped in quickly and was in cruising gear in no time.

Not much. My gear was well laid out and nothing delayed me.
Bike
  • 58m 31s
  • 30 kms
  • 30.76 km/hr
Comments:

A scenice country course with just a few gentle rollers, I felt like I really bossed the ride (by my own standards). Used the gears well and managed my energy. I even passed a few!

2 or 3 things stood out. First how many mechanical issues I saw. I must have seen a dozen riders stopped or walking back and only one of those seemed to obviously be someone with an injury (looking pained).

Second was the sheer number of rider drafting. Tons of pairs and at least two larger groups of 6 or 7. I kid you not. Tight organised groups riding and overtaking together.

I spent as long as I could on the drops and hit my target of breaking an hour. At about 25km I could feel the hurt in my legs and though 'I am going to be sore tomorrow') little did I know how soon I would be hurting.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again this worked well. My bike spot was right near the bike-in gate which suited me.

Nothing.
Run
  • 47m 47s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 06m 22s  min/km
Comments:

Oh boy. This is where the wheels fell off.Immediately as I started running I knew I had nothing in my legs. No power. Form was poor. I knew I was going to suffer.

I had a goal of not walking and managed to run the whole distance. But this is the slowest run I have ever done. About 500m out I felt the top of my right calf (the same spot as post swim) and ened to stop once to stretch it out. That pain (a cramp) went away as I ticked along and I decided just to grind it out at a slow speed.

I suffered bad and must have looks sore as I got quite a few supportive call from other racers.

With about 2km to go I got a sharp pain in my lower left calf. I ran through it but I felt the tightness moving around. I thought for a few seconds that I might be walking the remainder but I managed to carry on. What becomes clear is that I have no ability for running off the bike. And am seriously lacking in fitness.

Nothing really on course. Tons more prep.
Post race
Warm down:

I collected my snacks and walked back to transition. I left my bike there for awhile and walked back to get a few pictures of the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously my training volumes are too low. My fitness well below what is required/

Event comments:

Perfect combination of site, organisation and weather on the day. I am lucky to have such good local events.

Last updated: 2014-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:38 | 750 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 2829/29
Overall: 0/236
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU Full triSuit
Course: Its a vaguely triangular course. About 280 m out, then 150 across the bottom of the course and then 320 ish back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:31 | 30 kms | 30.76 km/hr
Age Group: 0/29
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: A pretty country course with just a few gentle rollers. All of the turns were right angle lefts or rights and some had some loose gravel on them. Saw lots of riders taking it very easy and a few clipped out for the 90 degree turn around. All the turns manned by police ensuring we stayed on course and no trouble even though the roads were open to traffic.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:47 | 07.5 kms | 06m 22s  min/km
Age Group: 0/29
Performance: Bad
Course: 1.5 k of trails at the start and end. Otherwise country roads with a few rollers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes